Building my own computer, should I install Windows JUST for steam?

>or can using Steam in a VM work the same

Attached: windowsvslinux.jpg (265x190, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dsDUtzMkxFk
youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2xpxkhitk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I installed Ubuntu for on my gaming PC LOL

Attached: nokekno.jpg (960x649, 91K)

I highly recommend Kali Linus for gaming.

Attached: Iwin.jpg (259x194, 8K)

bumping for answers

Answer faggots!

Attached: angrykekface.jpg (633x758, 58K)

im here for dubs

Yes it will work but you will lose substantial performance in terms of frames per second

>steam in vm
i assume you mean with gpu passthrough?

Steam over PlayOnLinux or GPU Passthrough. Without GPU passthrough performance will be shit in the VM.

you should kys yourself

>Install linux
>install qemu
>emulate with qemu+kvm to run at host-system speeds
>$$$PROFIT$$$

i think linux is not for you

I'm a normie. Please elaborate.

If it's for gaming just install windows
Linux for literally anything else

Because I want to play games? You have to learn at some point.

So would dual booting be the best option?

Linux literally fails at games
Not a good option
and this is a linux fanatic saying this

I'm not a big fan of dual booting or VM's
but you're computer, you're free to do whatever with it

Just install opensuse or ubuntu and dual boot windows on a separate drive if you have to. Linux really isn't that different, the main obstacle is moving over all your data and making it your home.
I do nothing that I couldn't do in linux, but I installed windows instead of opensuse when i bought my recent SSD so I'm sorta stuck in the windows environment again.

No. Read youtube.com/watch?v=dsDUtzMkxFk
youtube.com/watch?v=Ww2xpxkhitk

dual boot
/

Steam has a native client for Linux. Problem is that probably less than a third of your game library will be supported on Linux, but I have had success getting Windows games to run on Linux using Wine. Keep in mind that Wine is pretty hit-or-miss.

I admire your optimism. I hope you learn Linux and come to enjoy it, I really do.

>third
Relative. 60% of my library is Linux supported. However, the majority of games that aren't I'll never play because they were shitware I got in bundles or games that were given away for free for a while.

That's exactly what I do. I use Gentoo for daily stuff and Windows exclusively for gayms.
I don't see any point in having to troubleshoot shit for gay ass gayms, but I don't mind doing that for other stuff, hence the dual boot.

I'm also a Linux fanatic and I play all my Windows games in it just fine.

Dual boot. Keep wangblows on a HDD since it's just for games and put GNU+Linux(-libre) on a SSD.

Thank you. I'll watch the videos.

Okay so my question then is are there any drawbacks to using PCI passthrough?

You can't use the GPU on Linux so you'll be either limited to the 2nd GPU or iGPU. That is, unless you reboot into the regular kernel.
Will have bad performance unless you're on an SSD or install the VM on a separate HDD.
You'll have to spend more time setting up the VM if you want to use 1 monitor, and/or 1 mouse/keyboard.
Takes significantly more effort to set up than a regular dual boot.

But you get the benefit of fully controlling the environment windows is in as well as an additional layer of security.

you realise you can install steam on linux, r-right?

Install Windows, then install GNU.

Attached: wsl.png (800x652, 103K)

read the post before yours fucking dumb as faggot KYS fucking normie POS

fucking summer man