/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1527203071923.jpg (428x642, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases,
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Configuring_the_modules
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_3100
stavros.io/posts/python-fuse-filesystem/
github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/630#issuecomment-70291622
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Praise github
for it gives us free solutions

When trying to run a game in Wine I get these error messages:

ALSA lib conf.c:3523:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib seq.c:935:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

What does that mean and what am I doing wrong/how can I fix this? The game doesn't appear to have any issues at the moment but these error messages are still irritating. Previously I also manually installed LAVFilters-0.71-Installer.exe found here: github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases, because it was advised, to help with video playback.

Thanks.

Update, used the uninstaller for LAVFilters and completely removed it and now I receive these errors:

ALSA lib conf.c:3523:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib seq.c:935:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {7d8aa343-6e63-4663-be90-6b80f66540a3} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {7d8aa343-6e63-4663-be90-6b80f66540a3} could be created for context 0x1

Game still appears to work fine, music's playing, no other problems. Using Debian, if that's relevant.

How /free/ are you, Jow Forums?

Attached: Screenshot_20180524_170708.png (1600x900, 133K)

Free enough to install what ever fucking software i want that suits my needs without having to listen to some arbitrarty nonsense from a fat neckbeard who has not been relevent,or contributed to tech since the 1970's.

cool thanks :^)

Open source for virtually everything that matters longer-term.

A few pieces of proprietary software where I don't feel it builds much reliance (video games, firmware for hardware that can be replaced and so on).

Guys lets say i buy bitcoin in the next two months and hold the investment until 2020

Would i have profit?

You say that as if you think there is even 1 soul on this entire planet who doesn't have that same freedom.

Getting

Probably diagnose the issue with glxinfo, glxgears, games and phoronix benchmarks and so on and so forth.

Using Manjaro bspwm+mate and need help with the following

-Enable middle click killing programs in taskbar
-System wide scrolling acceleration
-Scroll working in every window on hover, regardless of pointer location in window
-Switching the windows key with the menu key, then disabling the normal menu function but still having it be functional and bindable
-mpv takes at least five seconds to launch for some reason

I'm just trying to get this usable on the most basic level then I'll move on to fucking around with emulators and getting controllers to work.

Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
Sounds like a missing library error, try googling the library name and your distro.

Is there any way to create a file / device file that, when read from, actually outputs the output of a process?
I mean, I guess one could write a kernel module for that, but that seems overkill for something so simple, right?
And I don't think a fifo would work because only one process can read from that at a time.
And a unix domain socket won't work because that can't simply be opened like any old file, right?

>-mpv takes at least five seconds to launch for some reason
Have you tried running it in a terminal? See if it's spitting out errors.

>actually outputs the output of a process?
journalctl?

How do i know which kernel modules I need to autoload?

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Configuring_the_modules

The only thing I could not solve on my gentoo laptop was the fucking audio. Finally I solved it just adding one mother fucker line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

options snd-hda-intel index=1,0

>>
How do i set aircracker on kali?

No. I want to create a file, like muhFile.txt. When someone opens that file and reads from it, I want a process to start and the output of that process is what should be read, as if it was the content of the file.
Kind of like how when you read from /dev/urandom, you don't actually read from the file's content (it has none), but random bytes from wherever the kernel stores it.

Why not just use a file?

Unless you're expecting it to actually run the program only WHEN someone tries to read the file? Because that's a totally different thing.

What DE?

Isn't the whole purpose of Kali that all that shit comes all by default?

Not going to happen without a daemon or kernel module

You need to install some liberies i think and managed some errors in some versions

>without a daemon
How would a daemon help here?
The kernel module is probably the most obvious way. Even though it's weird.
I wish unix domain sockets could just be treated like files. That would be so much easier.

Something nasty like tracing system calls and triggering on open() to that file. Ugly as fuck and needs crazy privs but you could stay in userland.

Jesus Christ how horrifying

how do I implement find with basic options in a bash script?

So I guess I'll just assume the answer is yes, even though I'm probably being ignored. But I'm in a good mood so I'll give you the answer anyway.
You can achieve it by using FUSE. It can even be done with just a simple python script that runs in the background and provides callback functions for all I/O.

Damn why didn't I think of that. You're right, this is the way to go.

Find somebody else to do your homework for you.

KDE!

Cool, I use the same DE and distro but my window theme looks like this. How can I edit it to make it look like yours?

Attached: 1503566197702.png (397x267, 15K)

These are the errors I got.

[vo/gpu/opengl] At least OpenGL 2.1 or OpenGL ES 2.0 required.
i965_dri.so does not support the 0x29c2 PCI ID.
[vo/gpu/vulkan] vkEnumeratePhysicalDevices(vk->inst, &num, NULL): VK_ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_va_gl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[vo/vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
[vo/xv] Warning: this legacy VO has bad quality and performance, and will in particular result in blurry OSD and subtitles. You should fix your graphics drivers, or not force the xv VO.
AO: [pulse] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
VO: [xv] 1920x1080 yuv420p
AV: 00:00:00 / 01:50:19 (0%) A-V: 0.000 Dropped: 6 Cache: 32s+12MB
[vo/xv] X11 can't keep up! Waiting for XShm completion events...

looks like your gpu driver is fucked, what's your gpu?

I used the 'arc-kde' package. You might have it in your repos, or you have to compile it from GitHub.

whatever integrated bullshit is on this old dual core intel chip

g33/g11 something or other, it's old

post your xorg.log, it should be inside /var/log

enough, I guess. Noveau drivers suck.

Attached: 2018-05-24-210238_731x1053_scrot.png (731x1053, 149K)

There are xorg.0.log and xorg.1.log and .old versions of both, totalling four files. They're each over 300 lines long and scrolling through it mostly has to do with input. I think because I installed xboxdrv to try and get my controller to work.

Here's some of the graphics relevant stuff I saw.

[ 17.323] (II) intel(0): Using Kernel Mode Setting driver: i915, version 1.6.0 20170818
[ 17.323] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled from 2.99.917-829-gd7dfab62
[ 17.340] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting
[ 17.380] (--) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) G33

>[ 17.380] (--) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) G33
Yeah your GPU is simply too old for mpv, if it doesn't support OpenGL 2.1 then mpv will fall back to xv which is broken and unsupported.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_3100

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-24 23-22-45.png (734x470, 70K)

Just got a new phone. What do I need to install to transfer files through MTP?

There's no way to set mpv to go straight to fallback? The video seem to play fine it's just the startup I have a problem with.

I need to install qtmultimedia5-dev for certain purposes

But i am running zesty and the piece of shit repositories wont work.
How do i add a ppa?

Put this in your mpv.conf
vo=xv

Done. It's obvious in terminal that the change took, but mpv is still taking 5+ seconds to launch.

Nothing else takes this long and mpc-hc was instant in windows xp. This is an old computer though and I suspect it might be because I set my linux partitions near the end of the hard drive.

My first linux install:

Should i go with Xubuntu OR get the Ubuntu Mini install and select XFCE when installing?

How bad is the bloat in Xubuntu?

Go with debian. Ubuntu (and it's variants) = very bloated and offer not much advantage VS just using windows 10 (plus the linux CLI that you can install on it)

What's the easiest way to calibrate display colors on Xubuntu? I want to saturate them without having to install GNOME for its color management.

Interesting, but that would only work if the file is in a specific subdirectory that's mounted as the required filesystem type, not in arbitrary, already existing directories, right?

You can see for yourself with a really simple example: stavros.io/posts/python-fuse-filesystem/
That just emulates mounting an existing directory, but it runs like a simple python script you can put anywhere. In the example it uses 2 directories, but that's only because it's simulating a normal mount. You only need 1 directory if you're going to rewrite all the functions to just give program output or whatever.

It doesn't require any prior mounting if that's what you're asking. But if you're asking if the mount point itself can be a single file I'm not sure. Usually it's a directory and you can rewrite the callback functions to simulate anything you want in it.
If fuse itself can't be made to act as an individual file then one alternative might be to just use symlinks.

lol holy shit, there's finally a decent terminal client for Matrix

Attached: gomuks.png (1908x1014, 88K)

Is there a way to replace the default GTK file picker / file chooser or what ever it's called? You know, the file browser that opens up when you want to upload an image to Jow Forums or something.

The current one is just shit. Like, when searching for stuff, pressing space is sometimes considered you want to press "Open", so you can't easily search for a file name that contains spaces. And when you start typing in the name of a file, the dialogue does not move to the said file but instead makes all other files invisible.

If it cannot be replaced, can it be configured?

Attached: bear_migration.gif (398x444, 265K)

We're well aware of how shitty it is. It's shitty enough to have been a meme here, and a source of endless embarrassment, for many moons now.
And you want to know why it's so funny? It's funny because:
1) No, you can't really change it (you can but the 2 options are switch to KDE, or compile gtk yourself to apply some patches)
2) No, it's not configurable.
3) Believe it or not, it keeps getting WORSE with each new iteration.

Their design decisions are provably retarded, don't even get me started on the forced search feature that replaced typeahead. Sometimes I think they're actually just trolling us. It really is the only way to make heads or tails of their thought processes.
Anyway, I think most people here, myself included, just use their normal file manager to locate files and then just drag and drop into upload windows.

>3) Believe it or not, it keeps getting WORSE with each new iteration.
Tell me about it, I only really started getting annoyed about it about two(?) years ago or something when the search thing changed in an update. After that I've asked this question multiple times here or somewhere else but never received a reply. So, thanks for the reply. I never thought of using drag and drop, not used to that, but it might be a good idea (I've just always assumed it generally would't work.)

Please recommend me a laser printer for home use. Monochrome is enough, preferably want one that recycles its toner instead of having to throw out all of the leftover stuff -- unless those all cost upward of like 200 €, in which case a regular one is fine. The reason I'm asking here is because it needs to work on Ubuntu. Apparently GNU/Linux distros have a catch-all generic driver for PostScript printers -- how do I even know if a given printer uses it? And what functionality might I miss out on by not using a driver for a specific model?

Attached: 8c2d1c3d65.jpg (1477x1080, 148K)

There's lots of complaints on bug reports, and when I said this
>Their design decisions are provably retarded
I did not mean that as a joke. There are so many undeniable examples of how removing typeahead has made things less efficient that it's laughable how they can still stay silent about it.
And then once you remember that typeahead is probably like a grand total of 3 lines of code and they REFUSE to give us an option to enable it, it actually starts to feel personally insulting. Like it's actually some decision to dictate what my own habits are on how I access my files.

It's the same story with all its shortcomings. Take the classic example of thumbnails support. Guess what, it actually does have thumbnail support and it always did. They're just fucking 12x12 little icons (which, by the way are actually loaded from the full sized thumbnail and downsized). So the 10 fucking years people spent asking them for thumbnail support was really 10 years spent asking them to add a little slider that would change the integer from 12 to something bigger.

But of course they know what's best for us right? Who needs to give anyone choice when they apparently have a divine right to dictate what I do on my machine?
Oh and let's see who the primary developers are? Surprise surprise, it's the same wanglords that shoved their massive systemd cock down our throats.
How developers with such a "my way or the highway" attitude still have so much power in an open source community that favors choice, is beyond me.

Thank you. This solves my use case almost perfectly.

i installed a gaymer kernel in xubuntu and my performance is actually worse. how would i reinstall the original linux kernel? i cannot find any information anywhere

It should still be there and you should be able to select either at the grub menu. After you have checked it is then just delete the new one.

Nice

Attached: 1520286656525.png (293x270, 41K)

I think btrfs is messing up since everything becomes read-only and smartctl reports fine on all tests, so:
What's a stable filesystem that's also friendly to SSDs

I would use ext4 unless you have a reason not to.

wut? not even microcode?

how do i use thumbnails in qt?

Attached: Screenshot_20180525_024052.png (1135x851, 78K)

There is no Qt version of Firefox. That's GTK.

so what are my options then? i just tried konqueror and the file browser works perfectly but it has absolutely no addons from search engine as far as i can tell. i really just want a script blocker and adblocker, i cannot even browse Jow Forums without those now

I think Chromium/Chrome will use the Qt filepicker if you use it on a Qt based DE.

Is there any good chart which i can print out on A4 and it contains all im portant commands like mkdir, lsblk, mount and shit like that? I alaways forget their names and it takes forever to google them if you don't know the namew¨

i am integrated with the botnet

Attached: 788766875.png (460x350, 216K)

I bought new laptop and it came with Linux Ubuntu OS, I watched a video on basic terminal command line navigation and about directories, file permissions, etc.. before I started using it.

So I got laptop today and everything goes through just fine, but I got this error as soon as it loaded up. I googled about apt-get upgrade and apt-get update and am just a little bit insecure about breaking stuff and how to trouble shoot and fix problems on my own.

I guess apt-upgrade is something to do in this scenario?

Attached: P1.png (1675x963, 100K)

i dont know a thing about this specific error and am not particularly linux savvy but in my experience these crashes aren't very big deals at all. im sure they restart after crash anyways so that said i would just remove apport if you dont intend on sending crash reports (by typing sudo apt-get remove apport)

Any idea why I can't access the NAS directory over samba? It works perfectly fine if i try to cd into it over terminal while logged in as the same suer i log in with into samba, but if i try to go there over samba (i have the whole /home dir shared) i get an error, even though the NAS is set as 777

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (785x420, 60K)

There's no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.

it will always just be known as linux. this is why i dislike that this general was hijacked from flt to fglt. what of alpine linux or others that have no gnu at all? frankly i dont understand why it isn't the friendly *nix threads rather simply because gnu is not the only option available and not everyone believes it is. fglt doesn't even include gnu/herd but im sure people wouldn't mind discussing it here, still though that name is far too specific for little reason at all. i also believe aesthetically linux is a far better name, it is both far more memorable and better for marketing (which is good for a community market). its far easier to tell your friends about linux than it is guhnoo slash linux or as i like to call it guhnoo plus linux. it just makes you sound pretentious

how do I map keyboard strokes to mouse buttons? I followed the arch wiki using xvkbd and xbindkeys but it only seems to work for sending a single key press. If I use their example of:

"xvkbd -text "\[Shift]\[Left]""
m:0x0 + b:6

nothing happens. I removed libinput and installed evdev.

I want to stream music from my computer to an Android phone connected to speakers. What are my options?

I am using MPD with a client for music listening. In this case it's slightly complicated because I don't have a laptop with music on it connected to the speakers, but just an old phone dedicated to it. I want to be able to use my laptop on the couch and then stream its music to the Android phone that is connected to the speakers on the other side of the room.

I tried MPD's http stream and opening it with a browser on the phone, but there's a delay and you can't modify the volume in MPD. Is there a better solution for this, or should I just wait until I can get a proper, spare computer connected to the speakers and use MPD how it's meant to be used?

Did you do a scrub and check?

MALP from f-droid. Also allows you to control mpd from your phone.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Many users do not understand the difference between the kernel, which is Linux, and the whole system, which they also call “Linux”. The ambiguous use of the name doesn't help people understand. These users often think that Linus Torvalds developed the whole operating system in 1991, with a bit of help.

Programmers generally know that Linux is a kernel. But since they have generally heard the whole system called “Linux” as well, they often envisage a history that would justify naming the whole system after the kernel. For example, many believe that once Linus Torvalds finished writing Linux, the kernel, its users looked around for other free software to go with it, and found that (for no particular reason) most everything necessary to make a Unix-like system was already available.

Attached: 1527234290227.jpg (423x389, 49K)

> This version requires Android 5.0 or newer.
Fuck. I guess I'll just have to settle with MPDroid and waiting for a new computer.

I've made a zsh completion plugin and added saved in /usr/local/share/zsh/site-functions as
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.7K May 25 11:38 _pocer
It used to work but I removed it, moved, maybe changed permissions and it doesn't work anymore for regular users, but it works for root. All users have that location inside $fpath and regular users can read the file just fine.

Any ideas?

Can I open CBR files with Zathura? If so, how? I have zathura, zathura-cb and unrar installed on void.

Do other users have permissions to each of the parent folders? That's fucked with me before.

Yeah, everyone can read the file.
It fucked itself even more. I tried to change _ip to add completion for my program as well, and then everyone except me got proper completion and I was stuck with _ip.

It turned out to be buggy zsh completion cache.
github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/issues/630#issuecomment-70291622
Fixed everything.

Lydia Pintscher (KDE e.V. President), Neofytos Kolokotronis (promo team), and Nate Graham (UI guru) will be taking questions tomorrow in r/opensource. The topics will be KDE's goals, which were set at last year's annual meeting. In no particular order, they're:

Creating top-quality software
Software privacy
Improving the process for bringing in new contributors

It's scheduled for 17:00 CEST (11:00am EDT; use TimeAndDate.com for your local time).

Mark your calendar!

Attached: ydJPIoI-Ww1xvncafQhmMrripAL8AplyseYLGGsOtos.jpg (768x768, 192K)

I am in distro limbo. I don't know what I want anymore. I want something clean. I don't want any ubuntu flavors.

fuckin ubuntu
i'm trying to remove the gnome desktop from 17.10 to use openbox but apt-get purge ubuntu-desktop and apt-get autoremove uninstalled 3 packages instead of the fucking 600 that come with gnome
i googled around but all i could find were old answers, anyone can help ?

>Jow Forumsopensource
I already know it's a cesspool by reading the sub name.

Install Debian.

remove everything and make a netinstall, or install xubuntu, lubuntu, etc and remove their respective DEs, ubuntu was always pretty shitty when it comes to remove the default DE

Gentoo

i'd rather not reformat the whole thing for that, i've got data on it, there must be a bloody way

Use a search engine which respects your privacy.

Arch and just configure it whatever you want.

No, install arch linux
>It's what the pros use
>You get to actually know linux
>It's difficult for retards who can't read the manual
>Best repos with the official and AUR combination
>Not a retarded meme like gentoo
>Looks cool with ricing

Don't you have a fucking home partition? If so just install the OS and when it asks you what partitions to use, chose your /home and be 10000% sure that you untick "format this partition"