Woman says her Amazon device recorded private conversation, sent it out to random contact

kiro7.com/news/local/woman-says-her-amazon-device-recorded-private-conversation-sent-it-out-to-random-contact/755507974

>A Portland family contacted Amazon to investigate after they say a private conversation in their home was recorded by Amazon's Alexa -- the voice-controlled smart speaker -- and that the recorded audio was sent to the phone of a random person in Seattle, who was in the family’s contact list.

>"My husband and I would joke and say I'd bet these devices are listening to what we're saying," said Danielle, who did not want us to use her last name.

>Every room in her family home was wired with the Amazon devices to control her home's heat, lights and security system.

>But Danielle said two weeks ago their love for Alexa changed with an alarming phone call. "The person on the other line said, 'unplug your Alexa devices right now,'" she said. "'You're being hacked.'"

>That person was one of her husband's employees, calling from Seattle.

>"We unplugged all of them and he proceeded to tell us that he had received audio files of recordings from inside our house," she said. "At first, my husband was, like, 'no you didn't!' And the (recipient of the message) said 'You sat there talking about hardwood floors.' And we said, 'oh gosh, you really did hear us.'"

>Danielle listened to the conversation when it was sent back to her, and she couldn't believe someone 176 miles away heard it too.

>"I felt invaded," she said. "A total privacy invasion. Immediately I said, 'I'm never plugging that device in again, because I can't trust it.'"

>Danielle says she unplugged all the devices, and she repeatedly called Amazon. She says an Alexa engineer investigated.

>"They said 'our engineers went through your logs, and they saw exactly what you told us, they saw exactly what you said happened, and we're sorry.'

Attached: poster-for-5717298802001-720x720.jpg (720x405, 30K)

The quality of local reporting these days is terrible.

>we're sorry
Sorry they got caught?

so, will people notice there are built-in microphones in laptops for years? will people finally notice that cams aren't covered by default? will they notice that motion-capture (consoles and vr-glasses controller) actually use cameras that can capture your motion alright?

doubt.

>Buying a wiretap device
>Complain when it does exactly what it is built to do

Brainlets think these devices of convienience are made for that purpose alone.

>Sorry they got caught?
Bazingo!

The difference is that, asides from some vr devices, those cameras and microphones are not meant to be always listening unless they get hacked, "smart" assitants need to be always listening in order to be convinient for voice commands

>buy spybot
>surprised when it spies on you

Attached: 1517050770257.jpg (800x450, 48K)

Why do people even buy these? Turning lights on and off and adjusting the thermostat? Things that take no effort at all?

Obesity

I think we have a problem of greed.

Attached: 1235786328002.jpg (750x600, 113K)

its pretty obviously the fault of the technologically inept user, like people who buy ip cams and are shocked that people can watch them

More then likely a phrase or series of words was interpreted as a command. This is more related to user error then hacking as it is being portrayed in the news.

it actually takes more effort to tell my echo to turn off the light than actually turning it off.

Attached: 1525710027584.png (500x577, 168K)

>having your conversations recorded and sent to a random person
>user error
The absolute state of A*a*o* shills.

>'You sat there talking about hardwood floors.'
Hmm...

Attached: rustle.jpg (1920x1080, 460K)

>install spying device of corporation throughout house
>happily allow it access to your contacts and to make and manage calls
>mad when it does.
People really are the niggers of people

you're carrying a hot soup and it's dark and you cannot afford to turn on the light because you're using your both hands, then.. it comes!

wtf

>install spying devices in your home
>OMG I4M BEING SPIED ON
Why are people so retarded?

>a spying data harvesting device recorded private conversation
STOP THE PRESS

Anybody who buys that shit deserves anything they get.

>"'You're being hacked.'"
lul spooky

why do you live in a cave?

>a word of the conv triggers device
>another word triggers the send to this person command
prob exactly what happened, it's their own damn fault

i poke the mic with a needle and cover the webcam, am i safe ?

Attached: 1481426552432.jpg (500x508, 29K)

BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T

If you want to get really autistic, speakers and headphones can function as microphones.

You have to put yourselves in the normie's shoes, they don't know or care about the privacy breaches these companies do all the time and don't know about corporate data mining, to them it's just another neato gadget that is just like the sci-fi shows of their childhood with the friendly AIs that never fail or betray you.

It's just the voice commands being overly sensitive, the random person is probably called Hadwood Fluer.

No any speaker can be used as a mic with the proper software.

Kek. Accelerometers can record vibrations and transform them to sound.

People are really making up this much bs about Amazon® Alexa™ devices?

Attached: 1515009558443.jpg (1012x810, 137K)

Were they Australian?

exactly, you know it was some bs, "we should call so and so about these hard wood floors" some series of words, hopefully they get outed for being liars with speech impediments...

Millions and millions sold, one person has a problem. Yep, I believe them... no way its for attention or some shitty attempt to sue a giant company...

I fell for the Hue meme, and was gifted a Google home last Christmas. It was cool at first but it got old really fast. Later bought the wall-remote switch that lets you change light scenes and never looked back. My Google isn't even plugged in anymore, hell I never used it outside of the meme lights.

I didn't know saving a voice recording as a file and sending it to an individual's smart phone was a feature

Echos are particularly bad at discerning when they're being called upon. I had one that would trigger randomly, even when no one is talking.

traced