So I live in a long thin 2 bedroom apartment and am suffering from really poor WiFi signal in the bedroom due to...

So I live in a long thin 2 bedroom apartment and am suffering from really poor WiFi signal in the bedroom due to interference. I currently have a NetComm N300 that is not keeping up. I would like to upgrade to something that has the 5Ghz band as that is a lot less crowded. What do you guys recommend?

Lastly is it true that in an interference situation increasing power may be counterproductive? Or is that only if everyone increases power?

Attached: Screenshot_20180525-105701_1.jpg (1078x1687, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-premises-explained-fttp.html
mwave.com.au/product/ubiquiti-networks-uapaclite-80211ac-dualradio-access-point-ab73108
ubnt.com/download/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Linksys wrt*acs is good. I have a linksys wrt1900acs and like it very much because it has official support for dd-wrt. To your question, if you remember back to high school physics, waves pass through each other unaffected. The interference is digital, in the inability to differentiate packets being received in the antenna at the same time. Since 5ghz and 2.4ghz antennas pick up exclusively their frequency, it will only be counterproductive to switch if more people are on 5ghz band than 2.4.

Increasing power at this point is generally not possible, you're limited to a 1W radio in any consumer device as far as I am aware.

So you can't just go blast a signal loud enough to fuck with local EMS and doppler.

Oops I thought by power you meant frequency, as I answered there. I think what I wrote is still a little relevant though, about how interference is digital.

I don't believe distance has anything to do with interference. Only one device can talk at a time on a channel, and being further away won't affect how many other devices are talking.
So it doesn't sound like your problem is power, just range. Try a Ubiquity AC-LR. I still get 30-40Mbps 150 feet away.

*doesn't sound like your problem is interference

Oh I forgot to say, I'm an Aussie and I have fibre to the premises internet.

nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-premises-explained-fttp.html

You got real FTTP NBN? Lucky fuck.
Most people are getting FTTC if they're lucky.

Those are nice routers. But a little more than I wanted to spend. Looking less than $100 ideally.

I can get a NetGear R6300 secondhand for $60AUD. Do youse reckon that would fix my issue?

This. Your problem isn't the router, you should probably be looking at a range extender. Just make sure the extender matches the router type (e.g.: ac extender to ac router). I don't have too much experience with extenders, but I'm sure some user here could give you some solid advice concerning brands and optimal placement.

Did you see the pic attached?

I'm pretty sure interference is the issue. I'm only 15m from the router getting like -69dBm.

either get a dual band router or consider ethernet over powerline

that looks like the graph from the killer wireless shitware

their shit is shit get better shit

DIRECTIONAL CANTENNA

point it towards your router. fixed. went through the same bullshit when renting.

ethernet over powerline is also an option but i will never use it as it triggers my HAM autism

It is a tiny 2 bedroom apartment. I don't need a wireless repeater.

Also a wireless repeater can in high interference situations make your connection worse because it sends copies of your traffic and increase the overall noise floor. Especially when it is positioned too close to the access point it is repeating.

Definitely just upgrade to a 5GHz router.
t. Live in a big apartment

It's from WiFi Analyzer some shitty Google Play app.

*apartment building
My apartment isn't too big

ETHERNET
OVER
POWERLINE

Can't do a directional antenna on a smartphone though.

>Ethernet to my phone while I take a shit

get a $50 ubiquiti access point with 5ghz

yes.

if your buildings wireless situation is really that fucked then there isnt really another way around it besides 5GHz

Attached: 51aZ9z%2BXNAL._SX569_.jpg (569x569, 18K)

I don't think the noise floor is the problem. Wifi is a half-duplex communication protocol, that means you can either listen or broadcast. Only one (1) station can broadcast at any single given time. If two stations try and talk at the same time they won't know, because you can't listen through your antenna when you are broadcasting through it. To see if their broadcast was heard by the WAP they have to wait for an ack, if they don't get the ack then they use what is called a random exponential back off algorithm to decide when to retry. They wait a random amount of time, broadcast, listen for ack, wait for a random amount of time squared, broadcast, listen for ack, wait for a random amount of time cubed, broadcast, listen for ack, etc, etc.

When you have a wireless repeater you cut the bandwith of the channel in half so you have twice the chance of a station broadcast collision.

You are right. I said noise floor incorrectly.

When you add a wireless repeater into a high interference situation close to the access point is it repeating, you increase the likelihood of collisions and make the system slower.

I think we are saying the same thing.

That shit is like much more expensive in Australia. Like this one yeah?

mwave.com.au/product/ubiquiti-networks-uapaclite-80211ac-dualradio-access-point-ab73108

I like my tp-link router/switch
also, use a directional antenna

wireless lmao

How do you do this directional antenna stuff? Is it on the router? Or on the devices?

they're really good, I have 2 on my property about 50 meters apart and they cover all inside & outside about 75 meters away
estimating cuz I use feet. (assuming you use meters) it takes some configuration though. you have to run the client on your computer then configure it from there, takes like 30 seconds to download & run not really that hard
but beware it isn't an IP address that you normally go to with webUI

They just redesigned unifi actually, it's a lot easier than it was before

ubnt.com/download/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite

Just cover your walls and ceiling with aluminum.

Attached: jn7G6__7_.jpg (800x600, 63K)

you just unscrew the omni directional antenna and screw in the directional. this assumes your router has removable antennas. a decent router with removable antennas can be had for like $20. directional antennas themselves cost maybe $10, so yeah, this isn't exactly a huge investment

sure you can; just put your phone in the can

My experience with wifi routers is that their 5GHz output is kind of bad. I got a dedicated access point and it's infinitely better.

Blame retarded manufacturers who let people setup on channels other than 1, 6 and 11.

Those are the only non-overlapping channels. As soon as people go on other channels they leap over each other.

yeah but on channels 3,4,8, and 9 you only get overlapped by half the signals and its curved so really theyre the best to use cuz everyone avoids them for literally no reason

They don't overlap with other channels but they will interfere with other SSIDs in the same channel, regardless.

archer d50, is pretty good has a nice array of router options and is dualband with power output options for bands with extra settings for frequency specifics

buy a 4 watt router or signal booster
if you're in the US the limit is 4 watts (FCC regulation), but it could be different in other countries.

Best advice coming through:
Don't have any electrical devices in your bedroom (besides lamps obviously). Looking at a display before sleep will make you take longer to fall asleep and if you have a partner, it will diminish your relationship.

I have banned all electrical devices besides lamps (ok and my ebook-reader) from my bedroom and have drastically improved sleep as well as my sex life.