Internet Puzzle

Let's play a game tonight, Jow Forums. The puzzles will start extremely simple and over time get increasingly complex until they require knowledge to move on to the next step. To make sure that everyone can enjoy the game, I will not use any tactics that require highly specialized knowledge or are too obscure to research. Try not to spoil the solution for other Anons.

The first hint is:
pastebin.com/teBKxmLh

Attached: 7d3f3e7a780e729ca329fa228e797893f1f0326a74e9753d549e03b9551ba293.gif (500x352, 1.73M)

looks interesting

you misspelled entrance, faggot

Attached: 1527032580570.jpg (720x736, 32K)

>lol i posted some pseudo-illiterate ramblings along with a lain picture again!
haha just as funny as it was 15 years ago :)

So I did. Doesn't affect the first puzzle though. I've been testing each step to make sure a typo doesn't make it impossible to solve.

Attached: 1526436618391.png (645x729, 40K)

There are currently 6 steps for those playing. If you get to the 6th step keep an eye out, step 7 will be available soon.

Attached: 1526776273204.jpg (640x800, 141K)

i'm a brainlet i can't get past the first step

Does anyone remember that "Cicadia" ARG thing? It was probably fake but what did you think about when it was around?

i love you too op =)

hey OP do you have a way i can contact you?

im looking to get into crypto related stuff like this

the fuck am I supposed to do with this lain jpeg

Step 7 is out. Step 8 won't be released until someone gets to this step due to poor planning on my part, as it might be possible to skip to Step 9 otherwise. Unless I have time to rework this part of the puzzle before someone reaches Step 7.

There are only 10 steps. I may add more if people are interested or want tougher/less generic challenges.

What do with address?
Give me a hint please.

Try poking at it and see what it tells you.

Get to step 5 and you'll find my contact info, but very little of this is crypto related so you may be disappointed.

Try revisiting that step. You may have gotten there just before I fixed it (it was only broken for 20~ seconds but maybe you were unlucky).

god dammit op stop fucking this up

It tells me OP is a fag.
Am I on the right track?

>tonight
>6:00 AM, sitting on the train to wagecucking station

Attached: dead inside.jpg (845x717, 69K)

I didn't expect anyone to get that far that quickly to be honest. I used pscp on the wrong file and took a piss. Came back to see the mistake and fixed it. I've verified all steps up to 7 are currently working as intended. When someone shares the answer from 7 I'll post steps 8-10.

>Am I on the right track?
Closer than you know.

Are you that faggot on the jewtube?

figured that the first one is probably shifted alphabet but i still cant get past it

Okay, wrong track.

Attached: 1525731440900.jpg (540x705, 78K)

Hopefully this doesn't spoil it:
You've found a pattern now find a pattern.

I found the URL, but I have no idea who to ask. This is either a very good or very bad puzzle.

At least one user has solved that step, if not two. It might still be a bad puzzle but it is able to be solved!

It's frustrating. My girlcock is out of my panties from all my squirming.

I know it's easy but it's someting I'm overlooking.

I found it. That wasn't as hard as I was thinking, although you kinda have to guess and check to find the upper limit, unless you are retarded and write a bash script with curl like I did.

Since more people are now reaching Step 3 I'll hold off posting my hint for it.

There are no stupid solutions! That one does take a guess but you're able to find the limit by digging deeper! The solution is actually kept outside the range of possibilities to force you to dig for it. That way nobody gets lucky on page load.

Attached: 1527222411.png (491x520, 398K)

jesus fuck hand translating that shit was not fun

OK I'm out.
I'm too ignorant about networking to be able to solve this shit.

I'm sorry, user. It may have been easier if you used your eyes instead of your ears.

Attached: 1525931704.png (499x582, 624K)

I am so glad I learned morse code to get my HAM licence.

this is what im getting too

Now try going there!

Two people have completed Step 5. Congratulations! Two steps remain.

Attached: 1526091985.png (336x336, 81K)

Please go to Lainchan. That is your tech illiterate containment board.

I like your rice.

OP, what the fuck do I do with this text file. I am a brainlet, this hash/cypher is too much.

Thanks, user.

Attached: 1525916341215.jpg (650x680, 231K)

Are you talking about the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd text file? If you're talking about Step 7 I won't be posting any hints until later tonight. It might be too poorly designed and, if it is, I'm going to modify Step 6 to provide some hints .If it's still too difficult with the hints I may simplify it or nix it altogether and replace it with an easier one.

I think it's solvable - especially for anyone who has picked up how I designed each puzzle. "Find a pattern then find a pattern."

The one that is 67862 characters in length. TBQH I am not even sure if it is from the same puzzle.

That's Step 7 and is from the same puzzle.

Well, it is getting really late here, and I have work in the morning. Nice puzzle, I will try to check in tomorrow afternoon.

Good night, user!

Also just a reminder now that a few people are getting to Step 7: it doesn't lead anywhere yet! Once someone can prove they've solved it, I'll add the path to Step 8 at the end and add Steps 8-10 so that they can keep going.

Step 7 has been solved! I'm glad it wasn't too poorly designed! Hoping to get the last 3 steps up tonight, if not I'll have to continue this tomorrow night.

alright just came back to this, finished step 2(?)

i've seen some mentions of a url and this looks like i could transform it into a ruski website link

No spolarz user.

just guesswork for me at this point

Anyone have anything to report?

7 now leads to 8. 8 leads to 9 but 9 doesn't yet exist. I'm still planning exactly what I want to do for step 10. It's getting late where I am and only one person has solved step 7 so far, so I might save steps 9 and 10 for tomorrow. How is everyone enjoying the puzzle? If you think any steps are poorly designed or too obtuse I'm open to criticism and maybe fleshing out the riddles more.

Attached: 1526021711417.jpg (411x419, 25K)

>How is everyone enjoying the puzzle?
i may be a brainlet but i refuse to give up

I only can report that I can't find the fucking entrance.

can't even solve first one

i found the "entrance", but i do not know the "key".
shiieeeet

ah perhaps i had to think outside the "box"

I believe in you, user!
As in step 1 or as in The Wired?
This thread has a number of hints towards it if you need help. Find a pattern then find a pattern!

Steps 9 and 10 will be up if I can finish writing this program for it tonight.

if this jpeg gives me a virus i'll rape your dog

man do i really have to download shit on the second step???

how to convert to Waveform Audio File

>As in step 1 or as in The Wired?
I'm not sure anymore but I love you.

I'd be entirely limited to boring cyphers or forcing people to write programs to bruteforce things without the ability to do some steganography. Step 2 doesn't technically require a file download although it certainly helps. Step 3 does require downloading a file.

Step 10 is now in place but might require too much specialized knowledge. Will replace it tomorrow if I think of something better and less specialized.

good work on this puzzle
i may not have gotten far but it was fun

Not that anyone has gotten to it, but Step 10 has been made a bit easier but uses similar concepts to the original. When someone solves it I'll give info on what the original puzzle required but don't want to leak it now because it would be too large a hint.

Thanks! It was fun to make and I'll be leaving the files up so you're always welcome to take another stab at it and try to get all the way!

Giving this one last bump - I'm off to bed now. Wanted to make sure the puzzle was finished for the Anons who are working on Step 8 tomorrow. Good luck to everyone! I'll repost the thread tomorrow night for those still working on it and so others may join. Step 8 is probably easier than Step 7 but we'll see. I'll be surprised if anyone actually gets past Step 9.

To make things fun, I left out the last hint from Step 9 for Step 10. If anyone manages to solve Step 10 before the weekend is over - I'll find a way to send you $50. Be it BTC or Paypal. After the weekend I'll be updating Step 9 to have the final hint. If you've been paying close attention to all the puzzles up to that point you won't need the hint though.

Attached: 1381062991297.gif (350x345, 2.52M)

OP is asleep, what do I have to do with his love?

ffs. I must be the biggest brainlet in the world. I went to the entrance and I'm completely stuck. I have literally been going at it for 5 hours, it's currently 5am. I'm not asking for a hint, I really want to do this on my own. Just letting you know that you made quite the enticing puzzle. Can't wait to sleep for 5 hours and get started on it again.

I'm not even sure what step I'm on anymore. I thought I was on 4 but it turned out be 7 I think.

Something with omnipresence now... Any hint?

I'm so close to figuring out the first step but I'm tired as fauurk. Can you make another thread later?

Follow the rest of the hint and good luck.

If this one dies I'm making it again tonight after work.

Yeah I see the rest of the hint (I think you forgot a w actually?) but it's a difficult one :/

The important lines should work. I think line 5 might have an error making the puzzle harder to solve without tools though. I'll take a look at it after work and fix it if necessary. Try reading line 4 more closely.

So am I on step 8 or 9 then?

What is empty.png? Did I find the wrong thing?

Ok don't reply, I got it...
Also, gotta say op, the puzzles have been phone-friendly so far. Keep it up!

I want lain to be my wife!

You need JavaScript enabled

You're on step 8.

Im probably near the first steps (I think)
Is it your page and can I try to break shit or will I fuck you over?
Also does the first ever mail I get to see work? ;)

I'm not supposed to touch any ports other than the regular http(s) ones am I.....?

did you fuck up again?

Not significantly. See line 5 may have an error (didn't have time to verify it) but the important lines work (I was able to verify those). This shit is hard to get perfect. You should try hosting one sometime. :^)

No need to mess with anything networking related. So no need to muck around with ports.

I think you have made an error in your hosting of the file that you find from the cypher is step 8. I am getting a differently styled 404 page when I type it in, so I think I am on the right track, but it is still a 404 page.

puzzle one is just a Cesarean cypher, yes?

I'm stuck on the same thing

Same here

help with the second one I'm stuck

actually i just got finished with a ctf and you hyped me up to host one myself too :^)
Although im more likely to do a "download vm from here and find shit and mail them to me" type
Or i can just get free neetbux from you and make a site

never mind I got it.

Do you nerds want to join me at rizon to try to figure it out? The channel will be the same as the second to last word in the substitution cypher in step 8 in lower case.

Can someone help me with the track_44.wav?

Stuck in the same place, don't know where to find it

I've identified the problem but I'm not sure how to fix it with nginx. Issue is that it is ignoring the root directory for that one file.

Try it on the root domain instead of asking the girls. For now I've made a copy there that works as intended.

sure, look closer at the strings that hold a file together :)
You can get a tool to do the job for you, if you wish
if you still dont get it, have a 2nd hint
aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL3BhbnppL21lZGlhZXh0cmFjdA==

i hope i didnt help them TOO much OP owo

its all good now. Thanks

If anyone is good with nginx, the root directory for /images/ is /public/. Prepending that so nginx has the proper full path will also cause it to work. Not sure why root is being ignored since it works for all other files in the directory.

I'll fix it tonight but for now just use the workaround.