/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 404998 5_nenme_no_houkago breast_hold headphones kantoku kurumi_(kantoku) naked.jpg (3500x2484, 1.4M)

Other urls found in this thread:

nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html
devbrada.com/classifieds/
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19436
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 05AF6B6A-6846-4FD5-A116-46FDE268E5CA.jpg (2711x3676, 1.76M)

Sylvania 12SN7GTs with a 5931 rectifier. Sounds ace with DT1990

Attached: IMG_20180525_080348.jpg (749x999, 162K)

Anyone got impressions on Final audio stuff? Thinking about picking up the e3000.
Or some other iem in the 80-100 range.

Attached: 437e2ff9-5b57-461d-9891-8484c7f659e0.gif (350x262, 1.85M)

Attached: EARSPEAKERS.webm (960x540, 2.99M)

I wish all grils were this shiny

Me

>My STAXs have finally shipped!!
What album will be your first with them?

this probably

Attached: cover1.jpg (200x200, 13K)

kek

are the stax l700 pads compatible with the l300?
also, L300LE are back in stock

I wish I were a girl

Excellent choice

>get some expensive headphones
>listen to an album with intentionally shitty audio quality

yes. some consider L300 + L700 > L700

First for SUPERLUX

Attached: 5138011.jpg (627x800, 99K)

I found floor user as an anime girl

Attached: 333451e4a2c95a5907fd3761747a5197.jpg (1000x1000, 378K)

Thanks!

Cute!

You are welcome

Attached: dd92437a0f90fe814d59a0df9e56a825.jpg (720x1050, 442K)

Can't wait for Amagami's translation.

I have HD556, and I'm about to purchase HD650 for $360

talk me out of it

Attached: 1520773240088.png (2096x2161, 3.55M)

used $180

HD 660S or DT1990 for rock/metal music? Driven by a Little Dot MkII. Play games occasionally but that isn't as important as music to me.

why used?

hd660s is poor value. stax or dt1990
because you can get it half off in mint condition?

why would i want to buy used headphones from owners who might've spit on it, taken poorly care of it, cummed on it etc? that's fucking disgusting

people take care of their $300+ headphones for resale value, you're not in the kiddie pool anymore if you're shopping up here

Okay in that case, HD600 for $280 or dt1990 for $580? I'm worried about fatigue and comfort on the dt1990's during long listening sessions. HD650's I'm worried won't be good for rock/metal because of the less pronounced mids/highs

oh the HD6XX is on sale on massdrop

i guess i'll grab that, since it's the only difference is the plastic material and a bit warmer sound than HD650 right

can't go wrong with either
hd6xx is the hd650 for $200

>dt1990 for $580?
That's almost Stax SRS-3100 (on ebay) territory.

I'm not buying used headphones and even less so, meme-tier Stax. I have Amazon gift cards at the moment so I'm not interested in Ebay sales anyway.

let me tell you 600 secret
they are uncomfortable first two weeks due to clamp
they are fine for aobut 14 months
pads go bad they become extremely tiring, you start to hate them for it, no matter how much you love sound
replacement pads are very expensive for no reason, jewheiser knows it's in their design.

so considering 1990 got memory foam pads you'll be able to save money in 10 year run

also 1990 got x2 pads and x2 cables and steel build also they sound arguably better than 660S
I had to buy senheiser cable recently, becuase no options at a time, wanted to kill myself for the price they asked for it

I'd rather have long term comfort and potentially have to replace things though. Comfort and fatigue from highs are what I'm concerned about most with the 1990's as I work from home and have very long listening sessions.

>meme-tier Stax
Nothing meme-tier about them.

>and fatigue from highs
not in 1990s, though depends what you are used to, darkish planars like sundara might be better for you if you are worried about highs
600s aren't soft in their sound either, any neutral headphones won't let you rest, personally I do not get fatigued by highs much and I still can hear around 20k

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1503512747735.png (1920x1080, 1.43M)

Go to youtube and watch a few hd600 vs hd650 reviews.

I'm quite happy with my HD650s for rock and metal

If adi 2 pro user is here cam you explain how the two outs in the front work?

I'm currently listening to my brother's DT880's through my tube setup and the highs are a bit fatiguing. Are the 1990's different in that regard?

If I decide I want 650's I am most definitely just going to get 660S's instead.

Now, I know how a masochist feels, as I browse these threads while being completely broke.

>my brother's DT880's
which version? if it's 32Ohm you are simply overkilling it with tubes, you'll do the same to 660S those don't like tube amps

He has the 600Ohm version. They sound decent, just a bit ear piercing at higher volumes. The Little Dot has gain settings for low Ohm cans. I currently have 32Ohm k267's and they're not terrible on the lowest gain setting, but I just want something better.

That's true though that HD650's are higher impedance than the 660S's. God dammit why isn't there a place near me where I can just try some headphones out? Best Buy carried 660S's but I doubt I could try them in store.

I'd like to thank you for using an anime image in the original post

650 probably best option for you, if you can give a listen to planars though

stax

HE500 a best

Attached: buypig.jpg (1577x1177, 923K)

I see you got 990 there, did you try 1990? How do they compare to your collection?

Zeos completely shat on the HD 569's. I can't disagree more, I think Tyll's review is much better when he described them as mid-centric and accurate.

I have not had that opportunity yet but I would really like to hear them, I've watched/read reviews and looked at FR they seem great for the trance genre. It wasn't intentional that I would have so many headphones, I'll be selling a bunch when I get the chance.

>Budget
$200-$400
>Location
Flipland
>Source
iDSD micro BL
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
atleast 4 hrs of comfort

z is a hack. if you follow the gospel of that fat retard you deserve what you get. he's proof that if you act sure of your opinion and authoritative people will follow and believe you, even if you're an idiot.

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX is practically the same thing for $200.

stax

Imagine when that guy's hearing gets worse, there is literally nothing to take seriously when he doesn't even use measurements.

what's sad is the void of trustworthy reviewers, especially at the high end and for rare equipment. so many people are selling lies or have no idea what they're talking about.

that's why you watch at least 3 reviews and read one
personally I don't like Tyll taste, he liked it too warm, if you can diffirintiate between reviewer tastes and read measurements you can guess well enough what headphones will sound like

yea but massdrop is gay

all niche hobbies are like that, I come back to this discussion only when i'm thinking about upgrading for example and be gone for another 2-3 years after I got my new headphones

The only thing I agree with his 500 series review is that the HD 569 cable is garbage. Produces microphonics, but I don't need to be a sound expert to know that.

Good thing Chinkshit replacement cables are available.

I'm part of many niche hobbies and I don't know of any that are as filled with lies and deception as high end audio, i mean audiophilia is so filled with lies it is the common go to for normies to illustrate a misinformed and delusional customer base

true, I simply set "never go above $1k" bar for myself
I say that and think about going hd600->dt1990

DT1990 is guaranteed to bring some sound changes since you basically get two headphones in one.

that's a good rule except for electrostatics which are legitimately expensive

at least they go neat tech in them, not sure energizers are worth it though they have no right to be as expensive with the components they use to make them

Is there a point in getting HD600/650 if I have HD598 already? What should I power them with? I currently use some old-ass pcie soundcard, ASUS Xonar DX or something like that.

meow

Attached: IMG_20180518_015741117.jpg (2080x1170, 747K)

without amp? you wouldn't notice at first, but try going back to 598 in a month they will sound like mud
with a strong enough amp 598 comapred to 600 will sound like you got mud in ears and underwater

my experience is that solid state dirvers are worth it but not tubes (just eq) and it's mostly about being good enough quality and high voltage

the hd6 line is very noticeable better, but beyond that not much. you will need a stronger amp to get the most. don't get a soundcard again

I don't know, I can't find anything there that's worth $900
the only thing that can be this expensive is if they got some low volume production IC in there, doesn't look that way though

Attached: 1509894116997.jpg (1100x825, 207K)

HD600 cat best cat.

How does one choose amp? Also, doesn't amp just mean delivering more power to headphones? I usually listen to everything at low volume (50% as the very maximum, usually around 15-20%), so I'm not sure if there will be any difference.
Or, am I completely wrong and it's something different? I'm a total noob when it comes to audio, but after being really happy with my 598's for several years, now I'm considering to take a step further.

On the other note, I want to get a mixer in the near future. It seems like a really cool device, being able to manually choose what goes to the headphones, what to the speakers (which I hadn't bought yet) and whether my mic is physically connected to the PC or not.
Any recommendations on those?

gib answer pls

taction kannon

nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

an amp does much more than increase volume, if you want to use high end headphones correctly an amp is vital

>but after being really happy with my 598's for several years,

Get an amp with very low (

stax

This. Flat, plenty of power, low impedance ensures that the amp will drive almost anything well, short of electrostats, as those do need specialized amps.

It's over my budget.

devbrada.com/classifieds/

used $250-400

>used goods
What am I, a manwhore?

Attached: 1525346031808.png (532x685, 403K)

I guess it will remain out of your budget then.

given that you're a poorpig begging for advice like a little slut, yeah

just buy hd600

Are there really no other closed options in $200-$400?

will never understand buying used headphones, it's like buying used toothbrush and use it every hour

yea don't get me wrong, there is a big markup on electrostatic drivers. but there's a semblance of value in solid state ones while the tube variants are wildly overpriced and not worth the large increase

who cares? kannon is better than every other closed option

>it's like buying used toothbrush and use it every hour
one goes in your mouth and one rests on top of your head and is easily cleaned........

The worst thing that can happen is the previous owner smoked cigarettes. I had to put one pair of Sony MA900's in a bag with baking soda to get rid of the odor.

oppo pm3 get them before they're all gone

I bet you'd marry a non virgin whore wouldn't you... no self respect

I'm not going to marry and have no interest in monogamous relationships unless it involves multiple women

I think you need a lesson on how ears, nose, your mouth are interconnected and other dirty things and how hard they are removed.

the life of a bottom feeding degenerate. sad. you will never know the ultimate fulfillment of a life well lived.

Time for a pretty dumb question.

I'm looking at Magni 3 and Objective 2 (because that's what 02 stands for, right?). Do I just connect them to my xonar's audio output?

>don't get a soundcard again
But I need a soundcard or DAC, otherwise I won't be able to connect an AMP to my pc. Right?

Can someone who has AES membership share this new paper with us?

A Statistical Model that Predicts Listeners' Preference Ratings of Around-Ear and On-Ear Headphones

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19436