/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on other youtube)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on new CPUs
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g. photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

Overclocking
>Use Precision Boost 2 offsets to overclock Ryzen 2000X series!
>Delid i5/i7 -K series

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming (dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF closer to 2200G price
>R5 2600X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPU
>i7-8700k - Best for gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, high end cooler, etc.
>R7 2700X - Best high-end mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing (HEDT)

Motherboards
>Don't buy A320 (All Ryzen is unlocked)
>Only Z-series Intel boards can utilize fast memory

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Heavy usage/mutitasking
>32GB+ - If you have to ask, you don't need this much
>Current CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933-3200MHz is ideal

Graphics cards
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 560, $115; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 8GB, $220+
1080p
>GTX 1050 Ti, 1060 3/6GB, RX 570/580; currently overpriced
>GTX 1070/Vega 56 if you're looking for very high (100+) fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti, 1080, or Vega 56/64; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) fps & you have a CPU + monitor to match
2160p
>GTX 1080Ti

Storage
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better price/GB) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>m.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitor
>2K is not 1440p
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: illust_62885246_20180524_234116.png (800x1029, 578K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/nhJmD2
pcpartpicker.com/list/rQ9t7W
pcpartpicker.com/product/kWzkcf/asus-tuf-x470-plus-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-x470-plus-gaming
pcpartpicker.com/list/B7VGP
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZtPwcY
monoprice.com/product?p_id=30414
pcpartpicker.com/list/B7VGP3
pcpartpicker.com/list/xzQfyX
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811854069
pcpartpicker.com/list/9bkrr6
coindesk.com/price/
youtube.com/watch?v=9dEsTiOeMQ4
pcpartpicker.com/product/jGGxFT/fractal-design-define-r6-black-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-def-r6-bk
pcpartpicker.com/list/6myqRJ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156173&Tpk=N82E16820156173
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

whats the best 1080ti pcb for putting an aftermarket liquid cooler on? should i just go for the founders edition?

Saw an user from last thread post this build here:

pcpartpicker.com/list/nhJmD2

Is it good or should something be changed?

Should I even bother trying older drivers? I've had the gpu for about 10 days now and this just started happening
I've had the monitor for 9 years and it was never really popular. I could try swapping cables around and using a tv as a test dummy to see if it's actually the monitor dying after I wake up later.

wrong one, here it is
pcpartpicker.com/list/rQ9t7W

Usually FE PCBs (there are cards that use the reference design but slap a different cooler on) have the best waterblock compatibility.
If you have the money you could certainly get a better mobo

Attached: illust_62318302_20180524_232553.png (750x1227, 887K)

Just go Nvidia Founders. Other AIB PCBs might have marginally better architecture, but it's long been rumoured Nvidia keep a lot of the better binned chips for their own factory supplied cards with a lot of journalists and tech tubers yielding good overclocking results on the FE cards.

And yes, compatibility as pointed out takes a lot of guess work out of it. It's not particularly common, but every now and then an AIB partner with a particular cooler design sometimes revise a PCB design half way through its lifespan, making compatibility tricky.

Meanwhile, any Vega 56 is still close to 700€ in Europe. Pretty bad times to be an AMDrone.

that... is a very convincing argument. i posted a build a while ago and had a guy rampantly screaming faggot, go figure, at me for not going for a certain msi pcb (couldnt remember which one, hense my asking)

anyway, thank you =)

Yeah right
The FE hits thermal limits at stock and it doesn't make sense for NVIDIA to point out how shitty their coolers are by making people swap them
Chin up. Only a matter of time before your prices drop

Attached: illust_67217411_20180524_232859.png (700x1385, 508K)

AMD software is better, and Freesync yes.

And historically, AMD cards have had better longevity since GCN. I'm not an upgrade every year fag

Well fair enough, I do have a RX 480 and I see where you're coming from about Radeon Settings, ReLive and shit, they are pretty good. I used to have a HD 7950 in the old days of glorious Tahiti but shit CCC, it's somewhat amazing how far we got. Even still, not sure if I would be willing to sacrifice some performance for better software, maybe yes because GeForce experience sucks but I'm kind of conflicted.

Is this good for a motherboard or is it too much? Found this after digging around a bit
pcpartpicker.com/product/kWzkcf/asus-tuf-x470-plus-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-x470-plus-gaming

Rate this beast: pcpartpicker.com/list/B7VGP

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZtPwcY
yay or nay?

Get the 1080 Ti

Found this, thoughts?
monoprice.com/product?p_id=30414
>Planar MLC
>5 years
>167 TBW

Shitty PSU, get a EVGA Supernova one or a Seasonic PSU.
GTX 1080Ti?

You don't need a $120 psu or $200 ram. You can find products which are just as good for way cheaper. A 600w bronze psu has no effect on performance compared to gold. It's just power efficiency from the wall.

Other than that it looks alright. I assume you really need that expensive ssd.

>120GB for $50
No, its a scam.
Just buy an ADATA SU800 or save and get a 860 EVO.

Also dont buy 120GB SSDs, they last less and are slower.

Probably OK
I don't know much about X470 yet though
404 page not found
Memory timings suck for the price (16/18/18 but could be 14/14/14)
1080 is $100 more than the cheapest model
Spend $90 more for G-SYNC lol (XB271HU)
It's SFX so it's not like he has many options

Attached: illust_62318302_20180524_232539.png (750x1200, 975K)

3D TLC is way better than 2D MLC.

No problemo. I've also heard the MSI Gaming X 1080ti PCB (probably what that other faggot might have been crying about?) has some of the best voltage regulation, but I can't remember where or what source I've heard it from or if there's any credibility to it.
The third advantage to a factory supplied Nvidia card I forgot to mention, is price. Apart from maybe some Chinese brands, they're the cheaper cards out there. Only argument against the FEs is they're lacklustre cooling ability, but that's completely irrelevant when aftermarket cooling is the goal.

Whoops: pcpartpicker.com/list/B7VGP3

Everything except the PSU is good.
Also that is not exactly the best motherboard choice if you care about durability.

>Also dont buy 120GB SSDs, they last less and are slower.
So the general consensus is that 240/256GB are the bare minimum or is is still better to get the 480GB+ drives?

Ty user

>mATX in a full ATX tower
"but mom!"

240GB is the bare minimum thanks to how SSD wear leveling works.
If you are looking for a cheap SSD get an ADATA SU800, if you want the best get 860 EVO.
Something between those 2 would be a Crucial SSD.

they dont make sfx seasonic psu's or else i would, same with evga.

1080ti with a decent cooler is $850 while the 1080 is only $600

i very much need an speedy reliable ssd, none of that raid 0 bs

Hpw is that a beat lol
I would do this so you can fit an SSD into it which would make the biggest usability difference
pcpartpicker.com/list/xzQfyX
Doesn't really matter that much desu

Attached: illust_61985993_20180524_232513.png (800x1120, 697K)

1030 is only $80

Will the fucking GPU prices EVER go down
I've been waiting half a year now
Fucking cryptowhores

Being poor when building a PC is the worst fucking feel

Like, think for yourself for a minute: what kind of things would you put on a SSD? Default answers:
>OS of your choice
>Software you use on a daily basis
>Software that takes a long time to load on a HD, even if you don't use it frequently
Depending on your use case, 240GB could be enough. Now let's assume for a moment that you play vidya on your PC. It's obvious, then, that you will install games on your SSD. And that, too, depends on what kind of games you play. Worst case scenario you play a lot of open-world triple AAA vidya, which are bloated on space usage, like The Witcher 3 (35 GB), GTA V (60 GB), Final Fantasy XV (150 GB), and the list goes on. Now what do you think? From my perspective, 480GB+ just got a lot more appealing.

>Doesn't really matter that much desu
I know, just shit stirring. Although if it was me I'd want to capitalise on the form factor and go with a more compact system, bit of a shame to waste that opportunity IMO.

Being poor is the worst fucking thing ever full stop.
lol, stop being poor.

Stay salty nocoiner

>Final Fantasy XV (150 GB)
What the fuck

yea but i need more performance.

Then get the 1080 Ti or you won't get your money worth for the 144Hz@1440p monitor

Cracked version is like 70GB, most of it is just shitty compression.

only thing i wish the FE had that ive notice MSI has is aplate under the shroud that covers the pcb. its cooling effect on the components is neggligible, but im going to vertically mount this card in my case for the aesthetics and im gonna have lots of bare pcb showing. but then again thats like a graphics card barely wearing anything so maybe itll still turn out sexy :P

They have gone down quite a bit though
A lot of the time the budget mATX cases cost the same or more for being the same thing with less airflow/radiator options

Attached: __yohane_bonaventura_original_drawn_by_erubo__312dd951d30be4f06068bceb3423188c.png (500x764, 187K)

4k texture pack ALONE takes 60GB because 4k uncompressed videos.

Sounds like just the typical scam Nvidia would run
>Have to buy two graphics cards so you can take the die off of one and hackedly replace the die from a better PCB with the supposedly better die from the founders that has a shitty PCB

Yeah I have a 7970 currently.
Drivers were shit when I got it but drivers/software are mostly amazing now. I have Nvidia in laptop and will not buy that shit for my desktop.

To deter piracy.

lowest price 1080 ti has gone from $950 to $750 in the past 2 months man. chill out its comin. also theres a chance 1180 is comin out in july and that will push current card prices down even further

is the 1080 really that bad though? can it handle 1440 144hz on a game like overwatch or god of war?

I JUST WANT A 1080 TI WITHOUT IT BEING WORTH TWO MONTHS OF MY SHITTY SECOND WORLD CUNT SALARY

Attached: 1389050251127.gif (255x164, 1.63M)

its not really a scam. its their dies so why wouldnt they keep the good ones for themselves. as far as pcb quality goes, an FE card is the 1st on the market and never changes where as all the others are driven to be better designed by the market.

dem economics yo

Whatever you say bubble boi

Attached: 1514139274207.jpg (1828x854, 287K)

it wont hit 144Hz but itll get the job done

Attached: _id1467362802_343178_2.png (1092x571, 31K)

so i have to get a 1080ti for 144hz basically? should i wait for 1180 in a month?

"""""only"""""""" $80 for a GPU that performs worse than the iGPU in a $95 CPU.

1080ti is like 25% higher performance than those numbers. So no, you don't get 144hz in everything ever with any hardware.
You can turn settings to medium-high and get 144fps 1440p in A LOT but not all.

There is no IGPU better than the GT 1030.

>1080 and 1080TI is 25% performance difference
Is this a Jow Forums meme I'm not a regular

>Sounds like just the typical scam Nvidia would run
I'd stop as far as calling it a scam, but it definitely sounds like one of the many anti competitive tactics Nvidia would employ. Which is why I tend to believe it's likely.
Which block did you have in mind? If it was me, I'd just go with an EK-WB full cover block and backing plate. They cover the lewd PCB nicely from what I've seen.

should i wait for the 1180?

It's closer to 30% but it's not a meme.

Dunno, 2600ccu on the 1080 vs 3600ccu on the 1080ti leads to a massive performance gap per clock speed. The GTX1080 is more on par with a mild OC'd 1070ti than the 1080ti.

anyone recommend any good cases? I'm looking for something below $150

i am, its 2 months and the prices are already dropping anyway

You need to tell us what you intend to house in it.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811854069

i just got this guy

havent set it up yet but its big with good airflow, and pretty moddable

okay thanks.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9bkrr6
i'm torn between design R6 and Meshify C

coindesk.com/price/

2-1-2011 -> 11-1-2011
12-1-2012->7-1-2013
8-1-2013 -> 5-1-2014
8-1-2017 ->3-1-2018

its not over yet

>pcpartpicker.com/list/9bkrr6
have you seen the reviews on your HDD? may wanna consider raid 1 or alternate drive

It's 25% if you're comparing AIB 1080 to AIB 1080Ti.
If you compare reference of both, only then is it closer to 30%(like 27-28%)

Remove windows 10.
Get a 970 EVO instead a 960 EVO.
A 650W PSU?

The R6 is an amazing case with a shit load of expandability, but it's externally pretty big, and a complete waste if you don't have a library of HDDs to store in it. If you don't need the 5.25" bays the Meshify is also a fantastic case.
I'd also suggest the Phanteks Pro-M as a good quality ATX all rounder with a conventional layout, and the Silverstone (I think it's the RV06?) for all out airflow, although the Silverstone is a little ugly IMO. Corsair has a decent quality case for every occasion too.

should i just go WD then?

then how close to the wattage shown on pcpartpicker should i get?

I'll correct myself, it was the Silverstone RL06 I was thinking of.

When are the pcpartpicker recommend builds going to come back.

550W is good, still leaves no room for overclocking.
Get a 600-650W PSU instead, you should get a PSU that is double that your rated build, ideally you should use your PSU at 50%.

id say go WD black or just get a 2nd seagate and put it in raid 1. im getting that same HDD just im not gunna get shit on if one craps out

>should i just go WD then?
You should, Seagate is not exactly a good quality brand.

i just installed a ryzen 2700x but the temps are fluctuating quite a bit on idle (40-50 degrees celsius on ryzen master, 50-70 degrees celsius on speccy)
the fan is making a shitton of noise every now and then too

A 4GB 1050 Ti and an i5 7300HQ should be well enough for tasks that aren't too intensive, right? I assume AMD CPUs/graphics aren't exactly a good decision if we're talking notebooks.

>It's obvious, then, that you will install games on your SSD
Why though?

it will help load times, performance ingame will be unaffected

Load times are a lot faster, and when talking about open world games like that poster was, this matter immensely. Dunno if you've ever played Grand Theft Auto where the environment fails to load fast enough while you're travelling through it, but this is one reason higher speed storage devices help. Another is level loading times in FPS and the like.

Not to mention the noise from the PC during those open world games.

youtube.com/watch?v=9dEsTiOeMQ4

a bit surprising

though hdd noise in this is not considered

I would say that for something like Final Fantasy a SSD is of utmost importance, just like a graphics card. It will help you a crazy lot, playing that shit on a HDD is stutter hell.

I guess you're not wrong, I just assumed that it could be counted out as a matter of lower importance than, say, having photoshop or other stuff like that on your SSD.

pcpartpicker.com/product/jGGxFT/fractal-design-define-r6-black-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-def-r6-bk

Budget: 800€, preferably lower
Usage: Gaming

Current build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/6myqRJ

Any suggestions on how to make it cheaper and/or better?

meshify brudah

>pcpartpicker.com/list/6myqRJ
whyd you get an APU if youre getting a vid card too?

7700HQ or should a 7300HQ be enough?

> Forgot that AMD R3 2200g was a APU and not a CPU

God dammit. Should i replace the APU with a CPU and keep the vid card or should i remove the vid card?

There isn't much point getting 8100 or 1200 over 2200G even if you're getting a GPU. It's the same price, anyway and having an iGPU is better than not having one if your GPU breaks or you want to run a VM or shit.

looking on newegg for sub $100 ryzen its either that or a 1200 which has worse specs. im surprised but keep the APU i guess. theres others here who could probably provide better input but notice the APU is on sale currently, which is probably why its the same price as the 1200

if you want though, heres a cheaper and equal performing SSD, you could pocket the savings or use them on a better CPU like an R5

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156173&Tpk=N82E16820156173

Release new shit so I can buy REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

And that didn't even show the environment buffering issues GTA can have with slower storage drives, although I think that's really only an issue with older generation gaming consoles.
I vividly remember always running out of road on GTA3 and Vice City, even sometimes in GTA4 on PS3.

i think thats mostly an issue with 5400rpm drives, from what i understand 7200 is all you need to game, SSDs just help load times