ITT: Embattled Oldfag advice

I'm an oldfag, and I don't mean that in a good way. I just mean that despite growing up I somehow never lost a love for Jow Forums despite Jow Forums being Jow Forums. I know that makes sense,

Listen Jow Forums some of you are not like me, you just got here. Some of you _are_ like me, you've been here forever.

Let's make it like this:

If you are young and or/new, tell us your fears about the future and maybe some of us worthless oldfags can answer.

If you are an oldfag lets talk about how we can help out those carrying the torch.

I'll start with an example of what I'm hoping for.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I was able to adopt hosted providers early and now I have exceptional knowledge regarding the big 3 (azure, aws, gcp) you'll hate it but it is amazing cash I'm going to be stable in life now with a career--and retirement. In 2018. I adopt common sense paradigms. It's modern tech, but my build procs are are all still GNU make. That is what they will always be as a design choice because in this day and age, Make is still the most portable build system, regardless of language.

I try new things, but I don't disparage old tried and true things. Lets talk, new and old Jow Forums lets try to help us both out.

Attached: c29f18d9aff1d3396acd779fcfb0f2eab2b75fb9aecd3e0729d3d562e4109251.jpg (1000x997, 501K)

Nice spacing.

it's a habit of writing Makefiles. Space matters. empty lines with a tab are still empty recipes. That has to resonate with you my mate

I'm afraid king neckbeard will never return, that acid burn won't return either. Hold me, Jow Forums.

you're gonna be alright man let these things out here.

Fuck off cunt. I hope you get blood cancer and die in poverty

Why make over vanilla shell scripts?

Nice thread idea user. If anyone wants to ask about scientific programming in an academic context ask away.

I guess I'm kind of in matter of time, but not in matter of knowledge. So I will throw random questions (legit ones) from time to time to bump you, old man.

I've been wondering lately into trying to learn bash/scripting in a more serious way, but I was thinking if I should try go straight to learn and practice, or let the time dictate what I need to learn based on my needs.

So, oldfa/g/s, I've been wanting to build my own server to host my own site, a mail server, a storage server and a media server. I bought a VPS on Vultr (don't know if that's the best option, but it was one of the cheapest) on Miami (not my first choice, in fact it was my last, but the other were too far away and laggy even through say) and I intend to use Ruby with httpd for a simple static blog. My main questions are: 1. Should I be my DNS provider (the VPS has a static IP) and 2. Is the way I'm going a good one, should I change anything? I want to try Ruby and I like to build stuff from scratch (I'm also comfortable with OpenBSD, I use it as my desktop OS)

> If you are young and or/new, tell us your fears about the future
Linux will continue to get pozzed by Red Hat, NSA, et al., the public will become so apathetic and media so controlled that one day some major backdoor sitting in the middle of the kernel will be revealed and the news story (and all talk about it) will die out within a day and nothing will change. FreeBSD will get cucked by SJWs and/or get the same backdoor. We'll be left with the tiny, tiny BSDs like Open or Dragonfly and meme OSes like Haiku.
Then the entirety of "safe" OSes will be developed by literally a handful of people, the majority of them being one-man projects, and nobody will care.
x86 will either continue forever or get replaced by another proprietary, NSA-approved architecture.

In the meantime, "coders" will continue writing Javascript, which will constitute 85% of open source projects, as well as Go and Rust for the rest. Maybe Google will make another meme language and promote it to fuck. The ultra-rare low level programmers will only be working for alphabet agencies or niche proprietary commercial software, leaving the entire open source movement and 95% of the job market to "artisan coders" or whatever the new meme is.

Facebook or, should it fail, whatever successor, will basically become mandatory to function in all circles of society, and not being part will have a negative stigma that will lose you jobs and friends. The management will fully cooperate with whoever "they" are, whether it be the white house, Elders of Zion, or space lizards, and they will thus have total control of the masses. Nobody will care.

I feel mostly the same along this user.

I also feel like we will be returning to Middle Ages in the sense that Technology will be end up so complex and hard that people will treat it as wizardry or magic. So we could be seeing the same consequences we left behind centuries ago.

you mean reddit spacing

>If you are an oldfag lets talk about how we can help out those carrying the torch.
I just want someone to care as much about PSUs as I do.

Steve from gamers nexus does

I meant here, on Jow Forums. Much respect for Steve, if true.

>technology will become effectively magic
The future is brown and tech illiterate white man. You wouldn't have a problem with that would you? Fucking racist.

>he doesn't know what reddit spacing is
white space in paragraphs is standard typography dumb meme spouter

oh he said "paragraph" and "typography", gee wiz, are you trying to show off to the other kids, mate?
those aren't paragraphs you donkey.
OP clearly just meant to go to a new line in most of the spacing, and by applying his mad reddit skillz he double new lined since that's how you do it on the frontpage of the internet

All of this has already happened.

Devote some time to learn it properly. Half-learning it will lead to bad habits, you won't be able to recognize or come up to better patterns and practices by yourself and it will make you dependent to copy-pasting shit from stack overflow or other sites for things that are just not trivial.

That said, learning only bash isn't a big task. But cctually learning the whole environment (sed, awk, grep, make etc) properly is a more involved task

>are you trying to show off to the other kids, mate?
says the guy trying to fit in so hard

>OP clearly just meant to go to a new line in most of the spacing, and by applying his mad reddit skillz he double new lined since that's how you do it on the frontpage of the internet
you've got it wrong, it's about how quote formatting works on reddit that creates a habbit of leaving white spaces after quotes

Make's got some convenient syntax and implicit rules, everyone should use make.

>he doesn't know "reddit spacing" is bait

Fuck bash, learn other coreutils and especially awk.

>azure, aws, gcp
Not really looking forward to everything I do getting swallowed up by FAANG + MSFT which is where it seems like the industry is heading.

Maybe quantum computers will be less shitty?

>you've got it wrong, it's about how quote formatting works on reddit that creates a habbit of leaving white spaces after quotes
which is essentially what I said, you just brought it down to quotes.
quote or not, on reddit you have to double new line to get your text to a proper new line and separate it from the previous one