Learning GNU Emacs

>Learning GNU Emacs
>1991
What the fuck happened, you guys?

Attached: gnu herd.jpg (4579x1099, 481K)

Other urls found in this thread:

perl6.org/compilers/features
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fell for the mach meme

Linux happened

Truly, this is like another shoah

Stallman's vision for a kernel was too ambitious, especially for the hardware available at the time. By the time running things with even hybrid kernels became viable on consumer hardware, it was the 2000s and Linux was already crushing it.

>By the time running things with even hybrid kernels became viable on consumer hardware

>completely ignores NEXTSTEP

NeXTStep wasn't on consumer hardware you fucking brainlet. Even an entry-level NeXT box (or one capable of running the software when they switched to being a software company) was $10000

They were just being jews. There's no reason why their hardware should have cost that much

Their hardware had lots of high-end custom chipsets and top of the line 68ks.

This but I really like the microkernel idea.
I know it won't happens but it would be really cool if hurd would work or another microkernel would come along.

bump

By the early 90s those 68ks were cheap as chips. Amigas had tons of specialaity custom chips, I don't know if there were as difficult to fab, but I'll through that out there. Not to mention that nextstep was ported to i386 PCs in 1993, followed by OpenSTEP, and then Rhapsody that could all run on commodity hardware.

GOOD ENOUGH wins again

Worst vaporware GNU Hurd or Perl 6?

Wayland compatible software, because there are actually stakes involved.
Perl 6 is actually finished.

Perl6's VM was supposed to run python and shit too. Not sure how far they got, parrot was it?

Microkernels are very theoretically appealing because they're minimal and elegant. Then people tried to actually make them work and ran up against the mess of compromises and setbacks and tradeoffs of the real world and all the elegance had to be chucked overboard and we wind up with monolithic and weird hybrid kernels. This same kind of pattern repeats itself all over if you look.

They ((Rakudo)) run on moarvm, a dedicated Perl 6 JIT VM these days. Parrot is derprecated.

Last I checked rakudo* didn't even handle the whole perl6 spec.

next machines were way beefier than amigas

>even
That would probably take another ten years, and according to perl6.org/compilers/features it's mostly meme features that are missing.

Well I didn't bother to learn enough to know what I fucked up anyway. It seems like a way nicer language than python garbage.

A way nicer language is relative here, user.

what's a microkernel and what's so good about in theory?

Means things can crash in isolation, then optionally restart.

Usually only essential parts of system are implemented in the kernel space and things like file system are in user space. It reduces number of context switches from user to kernel space and has better separation into modules. Look into minix if you'd like to know more. Its what Linux was based on but went monolithic instead of microkernel which seems to work better in practice

Seems to work fine so long as every module is strictly policed for problems.

Isnt the number of context switches increased though? The kernel cant even do basic stuff without a context switch

I think the biggest problem with microkernels like Mach is the message authentication
Mach was naive and tried to port the monolithic kernel design to a microkernel and the result was bloated and slow
When microkernels are truly minimal they have very good performance, comparable to monolithic
Read on L4 to see why microkernels are still a good idea and why Mach was a mistake

I think the point is to not having to go into kernel space as much in the first place. The kernel doesnt know about anything outside of it. Its the opposite the outside libraries make system calls to get resources from the kernel. Try running strace ls on linux and you'll see how many systems calls are needed just to run simple command