Thinkpad

Well shit
I'm starting to fall for the Thinkpad meme
What model does Jow Forums recommend and why?

Attached: Gentoo.png (1284x877, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

user there is literally a /tpg/ with all that information. You should look for the T/X/W series, X220 is the meme model

>>>/tpg/ has a list of recommended models
i guess the big ones would the the t420 (dank, great all-rounder) and the x220 (portable)

Attached: f7b92d5b93a4cc2cc6ce59a937e047cf723722f795d51031b8b89d0328f5a95b.jpg (663x742, 81K)

Yeah, i'm looking at /tpg/ right now
I want input from people that use them
Pro's and cons

Lol you think people get x220 because it's portable
No they get it to install trannyboot

And t420 people get it simply because muh keyboard

>trannyboot
I want the 420 for the weed name
And yeah, the boot is a bitch of a install
But
>muh freedom
>muh loadtime

Attached: Autism.jpg (500x753, 55K)

do your own research. they're all more or less the same
pros: freedumbs, build quality
cons: shit screen

just get the size and specs that you want retard

Thank you
The x220 appeals to me because light weight

elitebooks are better

Don't fall for the **20 generation meme. **30 is superior in almost every way. I prefer the X series for portability so this post is mostly about that.

X220 vs X230

X230 pros:
>2x USB3 on all models (X220 has 1 on select models)
>CPU consumes less power and outputs less heat
>GPU is over 50% more performant
>OpenGL 4.2 (vs. 3.3 on X220)
>OpenCL 1.2 (vs. no support on X220)
>Vulkan 1.0 (vs. no support on X220)
>Mini DP -> HDMI adapter is more common than DP -> HDMI
>backlit keyboard available

X220 pros:
>classic keyboard by default
>3rd party batteries work by default
>cheaper

X230 requires custom EC BIOS to support classic keyboard and 3rd party batteries. It's pretty easy to install, just follow the readme at github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

Personally I've had X40, X61s, X201, X220 and X230 as my daily laptop and I have to say that X40 and X61s had the best keyboard in both typing feel and layout. The keyboards on my X201 and X220 had too soft collapse for my taste and I would sometimes mix up two consecutive letters from different hands while touch typing. X230 has objectively worse layout but the typing feel is back to amazing so I'm not going to mod X220 keyboard onto my X230.

In the end it's all about what you need and what kind of a deal you can find. X230 + X220 keyboard + modding is much more expensive in time and money than just picking up X220 if it's all about the keyboard.

You could also look into X270, T470s and T480s (and X260, T460s). I've been looking at them as candidates for future upgrade but they're not available as refurbs just yet.

Attached: bios-logo.png (640x480, 27K)

I'm saving this so I can repost it on /tpg/

does the 230 support 9 cell batteries too?

cheap x220 to get started.

I have a ThinkPad 13 which, despite not being among the recommended models on /tpg/, has proven itself to be pretty great. Small, fast and with excellent Gahnoo/Linux support, like every ThinkPad. The downside is that it's a lot less modular than other models.

The x200 is the the only laptop in the x2xx series that can be trannybooted.

You may like a new site I found called reddit, newfriend.

If you want to keep that gf, buy a mbp.

LMAO
You think I have a girlfriend
Next you're gonna say I have a life

>tfw i've been dragging my x230 through some fresh hell for the past 4 years, and it still holds like a tank
however, i need to upgrade and have been eying the P51 with the 4K display.

meme top
Modern Lenovo's are a no go
Look at the Lenovo retro for reference

they are memetops, but what other options are there?
we work in engineering/construction, and while much of the time is spent in the container office, i still need a solid machine.

>smoking weed

>not smoking weed

>smoking weed

>not smoking weed

I know that pic is a meme, but damn, that's basically me.

i have a gf and shes into tech not really but appreciates my ability to be her personal help desk literally 4 free.

>meme top
Not true I would take P series over any other thinkpad. Theyre are literally better in every way but I understand they probably dont look that way from pictures you actually have to use one.

x220, no meme. You can get it dirt cheap but be warned the old school keyboard...it's like falling in love while knowing that one day you will lose her and there is no other like her in the world.

No I disagree. If you use the new keyboards 70-80 and P series they are very good even better than old ones and feel exactly the same.

Question of taste I guess. I am using t470 at work and still I would go for the old school.

i think that we are being manipulated, less than a two weeks i saw new thinkpad model and went crazy, i am willing to throw 900>x

Samefag here im looking at T580 too because g said E series is trash(i think that new one has potential because of aluminium+plastic combo where E570 is 100% plastic)

Yes