/avg/ & /ag/: audio video general & audiophile memes

time to kickoff the weekend with audio video autism.

talk hifi, audio/video, and brilliant pebbles.

Attached: Michael-Stevens-La-Scala-Home-Theater-Build-2.jpg (1500x1000, 1.03M)

Other urls found in this thread:

parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-air-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just watch it on your phone lol

Anyone have the Teac AI301-DA? What would be a good set of bookshelf speakers for it for a medium-small den room?

>60 watts per channel at 4 ohms
Sound like this would give you a range of options. What's your budget so I or anyone else can chime in.

I'm considering going Atmos in my home theater with 8x Ascend HTM-200s. Average distance to MLP is 6ft. My mains are M&K S-150s. I have a pre-processor so need to buy amplfier(s), what should I buy?

I was thinking two Emotiva A-500s would do? 2x Emotiva A-500s are $998 total (499 each)

At 8-ohms it produces 80watts all channel driven, or 110watts 2-channels driven. Is this sufficient? I'm doing 7.2.4, but the idea of being able to upgrade to 7.2.6 if that arises is appealing (adding front wides/heights).

What other amplifiers in this price range should I be considering? I thought about 2x Outlaw Audio Model 5000, which is $1198 total (599 each). That does 120watts all channels driven. Their website makes them seem out of business desu but they seem well regarded.

Attached: a500_iso-1_1500x.png (900x675, 160K)

Oh another thing I considered was the A-800 which is the same power supply over 8-channels, so only 50watts all channels driven at 8-ohms. That is much cheaper though, I'd only need to buy one amp for $499.

Up to 500 USD. I’d prefer a retro-ish look with wood grain finish but that’s not a dealbreaker. Looking at Wharfedale Diamond 220 or something from Klipsch so far.

What are the latest meme surround speakers? Need to replace these shitty satellite rear speakers I've been using.

Attached: vlcsnapshot.png.jpg (1920x1080, 224K)

Budget? What kind of surround setup? What are your main speakers/LCRs? What amplifier and/or receiver are you using? 5.1, 7.1, 7.2.4, etc?

I did a lot of research before settling on the Ascend HTM-200 SEs. But it depends on your setup, listening distances, and what your LCRs are.

Stuff to check out:
-Ascend HTM-200 SE (10lbs, 2x4" composite woofers, 1" neodymium tweeter, 200watts IEC, goes down to 74Hz -3dB, 11"h x 6.5"w x 6.375"d) $322 shipped per pair. Positives: High performance, measures very well, sealed so not worried about wall distance issues. Negatives: Weight requires sturdy wall mount if you need that, cost, shipping is expensive too (price listed is shipped)
-Focal Little Birds are popular, especially for Atmos height channels in smaller rooms. Those you can get at Accessories4Less super cheap. I'd probably get RSL CG3s before that though, for only a little more.
-RSL CG3 (6lbs, 4" kevlar cone, 1" silk dome tweeter, 25-125watt iec, goes down to 100Hz -3dB, H: 9 1/2” W: 5 1/16” D: 6 3/8) $135ea + free shipping. Positives: Great looking finish, nice build quality. Negatives: Rolls off at a pretty high frequency so not able to repurpose outside of surround duty very easily.
-NHT SuperZero 2.1 (5.8lbs, 4.5" paper woofer, 1" tweeter, 75W iec, goes down to 85Hz -3dB, 9” h x 5” w x 5.5" d). $59.16 off amazon. Positives: Cheap. Negatives: Seems pretty cheaply build despite good reputation.
-Aperion Audio Intimus 4B (6.5lbs, 4" woofer, 1" tweeter, 50-150watts IEC, goes down to 120Hz -3dB, 8.75" H x 5.33" W x 5.5" D) $199 per pair. Positives: Very reasonably priced, good build quality. Negatives: Low sensitivity at 84dB/w, rear ported/maybe a wall mount problem, rolls very high/small woofer

Attached: dolby_SpeakerPlacement_714_Mounted-Flat-2560x1280.jpg (2560x1280, 87K)

Well I have Polk 40's, Dayton 12" sub, and a CS10 center. So I guess something like OWM3 would suffice, right?
I guess $100 would be my budget.

Meh, yeah that'll work. Speakers have such a long life I have a hard time buying junky ones but if your budget is really that low then sure that'll be fine.

SHould I buy pic related? Could get them new for 849 €.

I currently have spare budget and use the T70. They are nice but were already a huge leap over my old 770s.

Is there anything else I should consider to hear Oldschool 90s Goa Trance on a heavenly level? I'm going into a 300 m2 headphone store, so I guess any model will be there for testing.

Attached: D3S_0230-0640.jpg (640x824, 94K)

>Is there anything else I should consider to hear Oldschool 90s Goa Trance on a heavenly level?
Speakers? Electronic music is so much about the physical aspect of sound, headphones are always a let down in that regard. You need a nice 2.1 setup.

I'm currently using the AI301-DA with a pair of q acoustics 3020, i use them for my pc but they can get loud enough for a mid size room

Ive got a smsl ad18 coming in the mail but cant decide on speakers to pair with it. Ive got my eyes on the elac b5 and the fluance signatures. Price limit is about 250 for a pair of speakers.

Where is the poster with the JBL 4367? I want to ask him about something.

I seem to recall the T5p having more bass than the T70, more like DT770. But I could be mixing it up.
>Goa
Who still makes that? I thought most of it faded away post-2000.
Still have some classics.

I have to record a bunch of small audio files anywhere from 2-5 seconds long that consist of speaking, no music or instruments. I need a microphone and audio recording software.

From initial research I found a Blue Yeti USB Microphone for $119 dollars and it seems like Audacity can work. My fear is that, besides buying the wrong microphone or using the software, is reducing noise from just basic electron interference and possibly if it being a usb connector will be a problem. My goal is just to record spoken words at reasonable volume in a quiet room without background noise.

I have never worked with audio recording ever so sorry if anything I've said has been stupid.

That's a good choice. Spend some time this weekend learning a bit about acoustics too, where and how you record makes a big difference.

What are some good, cheap speakers to watch movies and listen to music?

Christ, I'm not ready to do the repairs on the JBL L100Ts I said in the OP I made yesterday. I need to replace or have the cones for the woofers replaced, playing music just now had tore them up a bit more. Tweeters and mid-range seem to be fine. Have to also deox my TX-8500 and PL-400.

Attached: 1470266271070.png (346x338, 103K)

Depends on how cheap....
parts-express.com/dayton-audio-b652-air-6-1-2-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

I just plugged my pc(windows 7) to a receiver that supports DTS and Dolbly Digital. What are some things I could do to enjoy 5.1 surround? Almost everything still comes out as stereo specially games that I know that have 5.1 support and I couldn't figure out what I am missing to make the surround work.

Never connected my computer to a receiver before but I would imagine most games would require you to enable 5.1 in-game and you should have 5.1 enabled in your audio drivers.

I'm a bit over my head but how did you plug it in? You need to use either an HDMI cable or an optical or something that can pass that signal where your receiver will recognize it. Also you may need to manually change the sound setting on your receiver in case your sound card isn't passing the flag that tells the receiver what sound it is sending.

I plugged with a S/PDFI optical out of my motherboard. I could get 5.1 surround running a demo clip in MPC-HC with AC3 filters.

Attached: xhodxt.png (828x461, 173K)

Do you have 5.1 selected in the advance options?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (460x569, 77K)

Unfortunately it seems I cannot enable DTS through the SPDFI output, these are all the options I have under SPDFI. Meanwhile if I switch to HDMI I get a new DTS tab which I can enable it however my receiver doesn't have a HDMI input only. Is it possible to force my SPDFI output to send DTS audio somehow?

Strangely enough I do not have such option.

Attached: VDeck_2018-05-25_21-42-26.png (1620x1071, 534K)

I guess I need one of these because it seems my onboard sound doesn't seem send dts through the SPDFI only to through the HDMI or get a sound card that does the job of sending 5.1 dts through the spdfi, Any ideas?

Attached: hdmitospdfi.jpg (472x447, 71K)

Thanks m8. Do you like the amp?

>Is it possible to force my SPDFI output to send DTS audio somehow?
This will not work on any hardware because of bandwidth limitations