Dell unveils new business laptops

omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/dell-precision-3530-ubuntu

Comments are complete cancer.
What does Jow Forums think? Are they gonna be a viable solution for who wants a laptop optimized for Linux? The old XPS Dev edition was quite meh.

Attached: workstation-precision-3530.jpg (570x400, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

omgubuntu.co.uk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>1366x768
>15 inch
Pfffftt ahahahahaha

>4GB RAM
>1366x768
>no clitmouse
>almost $1k
What kind of developer would buy this piece of shit? How do I multitask well on such a low resolution, and how am I supposed to run several VMs at once on 4GB? Do they really expect me to fiddle with inferior pointing devices like touchpads? What kind of business laptop is this garbage? Why would I buy this when I can get myself a nice Ryzen ThinkPad for about the same price with much better specs and install Linux on my own?

>dell
>anything but trash
Choose one.

wow get off Jow Forums
what laptop do you use?

>Jow Forums giving a fuck about dell
Summerfag Indian Merchant dravidian-nigger mongrel, please go.

What do you suggest? Thinkpads? They became shit the moment IBM sold the name to Lenovo.

This. Dell is the only viable option for a power user professional who wants a solid laptop nowadays. I'd really want to say Apple but for some reason they have to make it ass to run Linux on their laptops and you have to deal with switching your workflow to OS X to use them at their full potential.

I actually would like to dual boot on them. How do these new laptops (both normal and Ubuntu edition) deal with installing your Linux of choice (not the included Ubuntu) alongside windows? Do they screw up the BIOS? It always screws up on my shitty HP laptop.

>What kind of developer would buy this piece of shit?
Anyone who's a developer and not a wannabe gaymer. You're probably fine with your Turbo Ultra Gaming XD Lenovo laptop.

If you were not underage you'd know what matters in these laptops is serviceability and endurance. And if you really need some more specs, upgrades from that base price aren't really that expensive. With a little extra dough you can add an SSD or a bit more RAM.

All laptops are fairly similar in terms of their computing hardware:
they use the same processors, RAM chips etc.,
so there is really no simple answer to your question.

So, you need to ask yourself exactly what your requirements are,
including what software you will need,
because some suppliers will give you good deals on,
for instance, bundled office software.

If you need good reliability and availability then you need to find out who has a good reputation for service in your country and region:
it's no use having a great laptop if something goes wrong with it and you can't get it fixed;
get on your favourite search engine and find out what people in your area are saying.
For example, do they have a service centre near where you live?
Also, what kind of warranty do they offer?
Will they collect it and repair it if it goes wrong,or do you need to send it to them ("RTB")?

Unless you know better, I would recommend going with a "big name" like HP, Lenovo or Asus.
Alternatively if there is a local company that builds laptops and has a good reputation,
then maybe buy from them, but there is a risk that they will go out of business,
leaving you with an unmaintainable laptop.

If you want to do a lot of presentations,
then choose a laptop that has HDMI and VGA outputs (and maybe Thunderbolt these days) so you can plug it into any TV or projector.

If you want to share information with a group of people sitting around the laptop,
you will want a display with a wide viewing angle (IPS displays are good for this)
and good speakers to hear the audio.

Once you've decided what kind of specification and facilities you want,
go to a shop and try out the different brands out,
in case there are details (like the trackpad) which you don't like on a particular brand.

Finally, chose the one which gives you the best deal including warranty,
additional software etc.

Doesn't have 32gb, three SSDs slots or an excellent keyboard like my thickbad does

XPS 15 2-in-1 dev edition when?

Do you own any Dell stock?

>omgubuntu.co.uk

Attached: 1522466292578.jpg (1002x857, 69K)

Dell shills are out in full force today.

I am an actual developer. I don't play video games.

>1366x768@15 inches with no durability
>Business laptop

I bought a Dell Ubuntu computer a couple of years ago. Had an issue that it would hard freeze when using certain kernels (anything later than 3.15 IIRC). The only work around was to disable pstates. Dell's "fix"? To delist the laptop on their website and pretend like they never sold it and had no idea what we were talking about.

I'll never, ever be burned by a Dell Linux computer again.

Wtf happened to quality?
Latitudes were built tougher than thinkpads
Now everyone makes disposable apple quality shit

Would you buy a gaming laptop over a macbook?
I don't get why programmers cuck themselves and buy under powered over priced macs

I might buy them second hand in 5 years when they're 1/10 the price.

>15.6 HD (1366×768) non-touch display

What is this? 2010?

I had a Dell with 1600x1200 in 2000.

But this is just an option, you can get them with 1920x1080, else Dell might LITERALLY be retarded.

>those specs
>that price

Is this real life. Where did it all go so wrong.

Attached: price.png (861x352, 78K)

>ThinkPads are gayming laptops
No.
>why aren't you buying a ShitBook Pro?
>it's underpowered and overpriced!
You've answered your own question.

I mean a actual modern gaming laptop
I don't like alien ware, but lets use that as a example

and the second one is reversed
Why do people buy shitbooks

>1366x768
>no 13" option
>4 GB RAM
>business

Attached: oof.png (645x729, 80K)

maybe its still the business resolution

Define "business" and explain why Full HD shouldn't be a standard in AD 2018

is... is this meant to be read as a poem?

Weren't "business laptops" always expensive?

>a laptop optimized for Linux
>dell
*coil whines in your direction*

Why isn't 800 x 600 an option then?

Guys, I think I found reason this laptops exist. They exist to punish bad IT-departments.
>Yo, guys I think you've been pretty terrible providing our IT-support (finance)
>We need new laptops
>Sure, we'll get some nice Dell laptops
>whew
>Finance dep. BUYS DELL PRECISION 3530

Attached: 1427258035292.png (482x682, 39K)

>intel
botnet, into the garbage it goes