/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1503809649741.jpg (400x300, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/htpcBeginner/AtoMiC-ToolKit
howtogeek.com/265900/everything-you-can-do-with-windows-10s-new-bash-shell/
old.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2ny1lz/im_greg_kroahhartman_linux_kernel_developer_ama/
wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Kroah-Hartman
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sorry if it's a dumb question but...

Am I able to put folders in my ~/.local/bin folder or am I only meant to put files?

For example I have a python script in my ~/.local/bin folder and can run it anywhere by typing .py in my console... What I want to know is if I can have python scripts in ~/.local/bin/ and access them? I've tried making a folder, but I seem to only be able to access the scripts if they're in ~/.local/bin

Thanks.

bash looks for executables in your $PATH variable, if you want ~/.local/bin/folder to be search just add it to your $PATH

Don't put scripts in the bin folder.

It's in my home bin folder, I thought that was okay?

Thanks

I put scripts in ~/.bin
faggot

bin is for binary executables only.

Fight me.

What do I install to be able to write to NTFS partitions from Ubuntu? I am able to read them fine, but only that. I'm using 18.04.

watch out folks, we got ourselves a badass over here

ntfs-3g

Disable windows fast boot.

On a lighter note, what does Jow Forums think about turning off apt-get recommends and suggests in Debian?

necessary

Yea, I always turn em off but had a nagging feeling there could be a counter-argument to keep them on...

Good evening, I had been trying to set up Plex, SAMBA and qbittorrent webui in a spare machine I have. I installed Ubuntu Server 18.04 and used the script from this git repo: github.com/htpcBeginner/AtoMiC-ToolKit

However, the script was broken somehow and Plex wasnt installed, so I manually downloaded it and it worked.
Now, I have been trying to set up SAMBA for 4 hours and I had not be able to do it.
Instead of just asking simple questions, is there a good guide about Ubuntu Server? I feel lost using some scripts from random guys.

Install GuixSD

samba is not that hard to setup yourself using one of the countless guides people have written, you don't need to rely on scripts.

the time on my machine is few minutes late compared to the real time. How can I synchronize it?

I know this might be more of a dumb question, but.. how do I disable laptop mousepad? I want to make it so that I can easily open terminal, and just run a command to disable/enable it whenever I want, since it gets in the way when I type and when I am at the desk I use wireless mouse anyway.

What this guy said, definitely don't use pre-rolled scripts.

It sounds like you don't know much about *NIX and are trying to do a bunch of stuff at once.

Your best bet will be to break down these tasks into smaller chunks and focus on each one so you properly learn the software.

> set up samba
Super easy for basic configs if you read the man

> Plex
sudo dpkg -i debfile

> Qbittorrent
Use deluge

But after you samba you'll also want to make sure you know how to setup your fstab entries properly.

Really you should have a VM for Plex, a VM for your Torrentbox, etc... All running on a hypervisor so if you want to blow one away you can without affecting the rest of your shit, or docker images at least.

> Learn hypervisor's

> Learn docker

bs, anything that is executable can be there

did any of the easily searchable solutions not work for you guys? Unironically not trying to be a dick buy search "linux synch system time" and "linux turn off touchpad" offers numerous different options.

You write your scripts using binary?

Sorry, I for some reason didn't add Linux and got generic Windows answers.

Probably the 6AM brain isn't working yet.

You don't?

I'm a new user of Linux. I started using Ubuntu, without really thinking too much which distro to start in.

Now I'm just really wondering why the hell is there so much pointing out why 'x' is worse and 'y' is better.

I'm getting a feeling it's like a cult or a league of teams where everybody is unironically attacking others all the time why they suck and why their option is better.

Why the hell is there so much unnecessary bashing? On the other note, I'm going to try out Debian soon and fuck around in Arch also probably and find out my preference. However, what the fuck is this cult-like autist mentality going around?

How are Intel drivers for Linux?

Out of interest I launched "Game Dev Tycoon" in Windows and it was exceptionally fluid and fast. Take game on Linux is visibly scattering.

I wonder if it's a driver problem or poorly ported game.

It's fun. No one really cares what anyone else is running. I mean, except ubuntu or mint. Only an absolute newbie dumb ass would run that absolute garbage on their machine. But other than that.

As a absolute newbie dumb ass I find it gud for now, I still have a lot to learn. So everybody is just shitposting, because they have to project their autism? I see.

>being this obvious
pls.

Have you ever had friends that just shit on each other every now and then? It's like that. If you don't get it, you just won't get it.
We do have our zealots though. People who say "only X is good" without pointing out positive values in the alternatives are typically tech illiterate and following whatever trend they read about first.

>emacs vs vi(m)
No one really gives a shit.

>arch vs gentoo
No one really gives a shit

etc.

Should I edit the dircolors to my own color themes, or should I follow a "standard" (blue for directory, red for archives, pink/purple for image/video files, etc)?

Look I get it, don't worry. I just don't like too much of shitposting. If someone has a case for why 'x' is better etc.. no problem.

Was just wondering what is up with that, since this was my first impression.

>Why the hell is there so much unnecessary bashing?
Its like this across the entire computer/tech realm. There's not a scientific principle that can prove X is better than Y so people have to resort to feelings.

Bump.

Pretty good usually, I think most Intel drivers are open source.

Is fstab executed from top to bottom? I need to place a mount there but this mount relies on another hdd to be mounted which also has entry in fstab, so should i place the mount entry i want to execute as last at the bottom?

Suck it and see my friend.

Computers always read text files from top to bottom, so that is how it gets parsed and therefore yes.

Dude, it's fucking COLORS. Use whatever looks better to you.

What are you doing with your life if you are so bored that you edit terminal colours? Get a job you smelly slob.

Can I make vim hyphenate words if they hit the textwidth limit?

Attached: 1512940176879.jpg (1080x1350, 71K)

I'll be using Ubuntu for now.
Is there a way to merge dock and activity bar functionality?

Well I don't want to get used to X colors and then eventually stop being a NEET and get a job that doesn't allow me to use my custom colors.

I also want it to be logically thought out. For example, I think it makes sense to have javascript, json, etc. extensions appear as orange.

sensors isnt working correctly on my system., it just shows cpu: 0rpm and no temp

I have my cpu fans unplugged (d15) and its running just fine. Ideally i want to be able to set up a pwn curve that the fans only turn on at 65 degrees

Absolute newbie dumb ass here

I fucked up my first installation by playing with the packages. I want to start all over again. How do I remove what I have installed?
When I boot with the USB drive I used to install mint, I can modify the partitions. Here is what I have :
>/dev/sda1 ntfs [size] [used] Windows 7 (loader)
>/ded/sda5 ext4 [size] [used] Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (18.3)
>/dev/sda6 swap [size] unknow

Basically I want to keep the win7, to remove the mint, and I have no idea what the third thing is
I have the option to format the partitions, but I have to choose the new file system and I don't know which one to pick

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

When you do a fresh install just tell it to do so over the top of those old partitions, no need to manually wipe them first since that will happen anyway. if you are using mint the whole thing will be guided to help.

also you've backed up that windows partition, right user?

uh oh, were you truing to dual boot on a single? either way just format sda5 and sda6. youll need to set up windows in the grub menu after you reinstall though.

If possible I would use separate hard drives for windows and linux, it saves on headache.
In the installer, is there an option to re-install over the existing mint? If not you'll have to manually do it. I think the install option is "something else" and then you might have to delete and remake the Mint partition.

>also you've backed up that windows partition, right user?
I didn't
There's no important data on it (I bought a reconditioned laptop), but I don't want to lose win7 completely

>if you are using mint the whole thing will be guided to help
>youll need to set up windows in the grub menu after you reinstall though
>In the installer, is there an option to re-install over the existing mint?
I did not find how to do it in the installer. I can get a list of the partitions but I don't really know what to do next
I think I'll use the diskmgmt.msc from windows and then re-install mint

Thank you for your answers

>I did not find how to do it in the installer. I can get a list of the partitions but I don't really know what to do next
>I think I'll use the diskmgmt.msc from windows and then re-install mint
its not an option in the installer. you have to edit your grub config after you reinstall mint over your existing partitions. the easiest way is just deleting them. you could always try booting into a live usb and deleting the partitions with gparted or something

> you have to edit your grub config after you reinstall mint

You shouldn't have to do this anymore. Grub has it's config set during install and then during updates and it will pick up Windows installs on it's own.

with windows its still a pos to get working. Ive never had it work properly with windows 8 so i imagine 7 is similar

How do I undervolt compred to linux (on manjaro)?

Hm Ive had it pick up Win7 installs consistently for a couple years
I install Linux on my desktop with every drive except the Linux drive unplugged so I'm not sure when Grub picks up my Windows install, maybe the first Linux update that has a kernel update and grub-mkconfig gets run

It's working now. Here is what I did if you're curious
>booted in win7
>opened diskmgmt.msc
>deleted the two "non-windows" partitions
>extended the windows partition to use all the entire disk
>tried to reboot
>it didn't work (error: no such partition) and entered grub rescue mode
>forced reboot by pressing the power button
>booted with the live-USB and re-install mint
>it works now, I think grub fixed itself during the mint installation

Thank you for your time. Even though you didn't give me the exact answer, your questions and remarks helped me understand what was going on

Attached: thinking sebas.png (616x720, 327K)

I'm attempting GPU passthrough, but I'm stumped on trying to get the VM to actually boot an installer image. OVMF keeps dumping me at an efi shell
Since OVMF boots a Linux distro image successfully it looks like an issue with my Windows 10 ISO. I got it from microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO
Where do get an image that works in UEFI?

windows fucking ADDED linux
howtogeek.com/265900/everything-you-can-do-with-windows-10s-new-bash-shell/

I'm gay for Greg

Who is this guy?

Only GNU. Linux is as always just a kernel.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

linux is nice to use except for bluetooth. I seriously can't connect shit to it except the speakers.

probs a windows 8 10 thing. deliberate sabotage, especially with them adding there shitty version of ubuntu

welcome to 2017/16

blueman. use blueman

a wise man once said, "if you don't know, then you don't care"

why does blueman makea difference? Isn't it just a front end?

yeah but its usually a good fix. what hardware are you using for your bt? isnt onboard or some shit? shouldnt make a difference either way

T440 memepad (onboard) and xbox one controller also a bluetooth mouse.

anyway, blueman doesn't fix it.

Why is bluetooth so terrible on linux? This shit JUST WERKED on windows.

>abusing REEE as expression towards generic anger

Attached: 1527282301544.png (1000x1000, 988K)

hoe to use correctly

I just started using Linux and got Ubuntu 16.04.

I ran into a 'big' problem today. I wanted to have more comfy desktop environment. It started breaking and I didn't end up liking it. I decided to purge the whole GNOME environment, but I can't open terminal. I googled few answers and can't fix it. I said fuck it, let's just install Ubuntu 18.04, so I download .iso on my USB drive to boot it and it doesn't recognize it in boot system. It says Ubuntu, I press enter and it just goes to GUI screen for log in.

What the hell do I do?

Attached: LInuxVsWIn.png (800x400, 18K)

upgrade to windows

no way you couldn't open a terminal emulator let alone the proper console. boot into recovery mode OR

edit your grub conf

/etc/default/grub to have the next boot end up in text mode. In summary you will set these parameters:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text"
GRUB_TERMINAL=console

After saving changes you need to run:

sudo update-grub
sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

then just type something like apt-get install KDE or whatever. just fix your shit negro

your usb drive sounds like an issue with whatever you used to install it

try arch. it seems to work

Update*, I can't open terminal from search engine.. but if I go to a map and choose open from terminal, the terminal opens normally.

Attached: Wat8.jpg (604x404, 38K)

yeah, meme-ing is what got me hear in the first place.

Intel is the most Linux-friendly tech giant, Linus said this in his fuck you Nvidia video I think.

isnt it amd, for their gpu division as well?

intel actually makes a lot of open source hardware as well

Is it possible to customize the tty login, like placing it on the center, adding a clock, or adding shutdown and reboot without logging in first?

He sounds like a nice guy, he encourages newbie kernel hackers to send in patches that other maintainers would consider a waste of time because he wants more people to get involved.
old.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2ny1lz/im_greg_kroahhartman_linux_kernel_developer_ama/

im on cinnnamon in debian. can i remove the lock screen after decrypt? i want it to be so when i decrypt i stay in the console, and then enter my username and password then it boots into cinnamon and all the good stuff.

is it possible to run ubuntu completely from usb stick?
And i don't mean live cd, i mean actually install it there
I am making a nas and don't want to waste a sata slot for an OS hdd

wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
>clock
You could do this but it won't update, as in, it'll just show the time when you entered the tty, that's how it is with agetty anyway, maybe there's a better and more sophisticated alternative out there.

Okay additional problems, I tried to remove GNOME through terminal, but I get pic related error.

I can't burn .iso onto my USB, because any .exe file can't be open through WINE, it simply starts loading in activities panel and then stops and nothing happens.

So, I can't run terminal through search, but can open it through maps and can't run .exe files, because they just don't load.

Pic related is error I get when I try to remove GNOME.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-26 15-21-41.png (937x456, 151K)

yes, install it to the usb... not difficult!

just get a display manager

I tried opening wine configuration tool, but it doesn't work.

I am not giving up on MPD on my phone.

Why is it that when I only select the HTTP stream in MPD, I cannot adjust the volume anymore with my client?

You could go hardcore into termux and running mpc as usual. No need to deal with apps.

So I love Linux and open source and want to get the best Linux for my machine. Which is the best Linux that provides the best Linux desktop? Please no bully I'm new to Linux.

If you want to get a taste of Linux and Open Source, look into Android.
If you want a GNU/Linux system and Free Software, check out Debian.
If you're a bloody beginner to GNU/Linux, try Ubuntu.

you can do that? just go into the installer and ¨select usb stick in the hdd list? will that really work?

Thanks for pointing out what I need, I didn't know that actual term so I was lost without an idea on what to search. So right now I installed lxdm and it even has those three things I wanted
Although, tty is still faster, I wish I can customize it or perhaps there's a "non graphical" display manager available around

yes... it will

try it

if you are lying i will hunt you down

Literally who?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Kroah-Hartman

Posted from my GNUphone

I'm starting to lose my nerves a bit, since I can't solve anything by googling and even when I try things, nothing changes.

halp, all these problem started after downloading GNOME

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-26 16-16-52.png (1039x716, 388K)

Try a search engine which respects your privacy.

Maybe I enjoy using an operating system that actually works? Only an 15 year old absolute autist on summer break actually has the time to install and configure something like Arch Linux to be able to do any real work.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great distro. And i run Fedora on my server. But for my desktop? I don't have time for that shit

Joke on you, I can't even get into log in menu anymore. Will have to re-install everything.

Linux is fun, pic related

Attached: received_10211925165589455.png (800x400, 20K)

What does the "ttyl" thing when you shutdown the computer actually mean?