Why is HN such a liberal shithole?

Why is HN such a liberal shithole?
>news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17154971
Top comment properly slicing up the GDPR issue with criticism of sprawling regs and how they impact startups, EU cucks to the rescue almost immediately.

Attached: 1521942336695.png (515x656, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2015/08/can-i-be-sued-in-another-country.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

HN is just a shithole.

Attached: GIF image.gif (310x320, 1.99M)

shalom moshe, how's the datamining going?

also obligatory mention of n-gate.com

I sort of wish it wasn't because there is some good content over there. The people ruin it though. It feels like the NPR of tech.

The worst thing about hn is that they are never critical of the big 4
But Especially Google. Google can do no wrong as far as hn is concerned.

Get an invite to lobsters.

God bless you sir I did not know this existed, although I suspected it had to in one form or another. There has to be some place where the actually skilled tech people congregate.

It's essentially HN in the early days. They'll even let you discuss CoCs, as long as you don't go full retard.
>There has to be some place where the actually skilled tech people congregate.
Real life conferences and meetups. I'd recommend looking at some local ones.

In terms of the GDPR it's good for me as a user, but bad for small business. I'm torn on it, but generally, the regulators aren't complete cunts (except for France) who will work with you. Eventually, when the law gets fleshed out with examples more it'll be much cheaper to comply. Right now, no one knows.

>shitty website about a shitty website
Oh wow, what a surprise.

>asshurt webshit whining about being exposed

Frankly, that site can fuck off based solely on its about page. I dont care what it said, the about page is enough to know that whatever the website has to say is of little value and only goes for maximum edge value.

>crying on Jow Forums about being trolled by some website
>said website is designed to troll stupid webshits
like pottery

Attached: 1497683381089.jpg (457x459, 122K)

I just took a look at this n-gate myself and I very much enjoy what I am seeing. This shall pass.

>A software company employing nearly 3500 people to store and display short phrases of plain text managed to fuck up the most basic possible handling of authentication data. Hackernews writes a couple dozen fanfiction accounts of how this idiotic behavior may have arisen, primarily based on their universally-shared experiences of fucking up the most basic possible handling of everything conceivable. Some Hackernews attempt to explain the right approach, but get that wrong too, which leads to some kind of bizarre golf game where they iteratively nudge their understanding of simple security concepts toward approximately the level of a schoolchild who has learned not to write a locker combination directly on the locker in question.
How can you dislike this content? This is absolute truth of the state of HN and most of tech "news".

the rule of thumb is if you don't know what to track just track everything
GDPR goes against rule of thumb where you need to fight defaults to comply with law

So, can I, as an american website owner/operator, still harvest data on EU visitors without repercussions?

No.

ask lawyer not programmer

What happens if I do? I don't think Trump will let them extradite me over some fancy new EU regulation.

> Defend the botnet goy! Protect consumer face fucking! Die for Israel! Remember if you don't, you're a leftie cuck!
Who could be behind these posts?

Attached: 1526836799948.jpg (1024x768, 100K)

You get sued in a European court.
blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2015/08/can-i-be-sued-in-another-country.html

The crux of the entire issue is that Silicon Valley has built up an entire industry on the spying and collection of personal data and it's finally come to bite them in the ass.

Good riddance.

I went to an HN sponsored meetup: guy introduces himself to me, "Hi my name is ...; I run a blog about how react is great; it's got a few thousand followers. Also I post on reddit; I have a lot of karma points. What's your name?" Vertabim except more specific numbers.

I told him my name and that I only use vanilla javascript adding myself any extra functions I need, and he visually became angry while explaining why I should use react.

Most others introduced themselves as "front-end javascript developers," with one telling this story: "So I'm a front-end javascript developer, and I told my company that, but then they asked me to do something for the back-end! I told them, okay, but it's going to take a while!" And another laughing manically with sympathy answering, "I know, man; they just don't get it. We're front-end developers, duh."

I saw that post and wondered when someone would make a thread about it.

Absolutely hilarious. So many turboshitters panicking over being fined when they've had 2 years to figure this shit out.
1000+ posts of JS monkeys way in over their heads crying tears of blood at their own incompetence. They deserve to fail

I did have one good conversation with a successful start-up founder explaining his experience with failure spending so much time programming something that nobody wanted. "Pitching to investors is more about validating an idea; I wasted my time creating a proof of concept that couldn't even get through the door," he said.

Jow Forums has been described as sifting through shit to find diamonds, but overall that night was not worth seeing so many shitlords that think they run the web.

>Changing your whole database over to permanent cascade delete is only easy if you’re a very experienced programmer or who knows what he’s doing. And that sets aside the fact that even if you know what you’re doing technically, there are lots of business logic problems with just deleting things out of the database and anonymizing users is very tricky.
>aka wahhhh, i architected my database poorly and thought my startup was going to """"change the world"""" so i just went fast and broke things and don't want ANY kind of accountability whatsoever, i just want one of the big 4 to buy me

this is essentially one of the main GDPR complaints and probably the most pathetic (the other being that it "stifles" innovation... actually that's the most pathetic and banal one). this industry already has enough shitwipe practices in place. if GDPR brings a number of them crashing down, then so be it. the industry has been bereft of any kind of accountability and regulations for too long.

Attached: sj.jpg (1167x958, 146K)

What if i dont go?

The most annoying part of HN is people who consider themselves to be experts in everything and always have an opinion they don't hesitate to post.

You will get notified anyway and if you don't go you just get tried in absentia.

Oh no! Then what happens?

You get tried and convicted and the EU court sends the judgement to a US court that will enforce it.

How do they enforce it? How was due process followed?

>Build entire web economy around spying and data harvesting
>Gubmint says no
>cry about how you can't earn a living being a parasite anymore
Unironically genocide all webdevs

They will follow due process if they want the US courts to uphold their judgement.
So you will get notified, you will be tried in absentia with a public defendant if you don't respond on your own.

What does the appeals process look like? That has to be pretty complex.

>FCC changes policy to give ISPs more leeway to fuck around and do whatever they want without regard to consumers
>HOW COULD THOSE CORPORATE BOOTLICKERS DO THIS?!
>EU passes legislation to curb one of the many ways tech companies fuck around and do whatever they want without regard to consumers
>HOW COULD THOSE COMMIE BOOTLICKERS DO THIS?!

Lobsters is as cancerous as hn. I was there, I know.

>real life conferences and meetups
>cocs
>dongle gates
>tech evangelists (aka diversity idiots)

Are you joking.

"Hacker""News" is a cancerous shit hole and it has little to do with their being liberal. I see conservative (aka right-libertarian) shit on there all the time.

The real problem is they're a bunch Silicon Valley retards who are totally out of touch with the rest of the world.