<wdg/> - Web Development General

Prev thread:

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtu.be/Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: wdg.png (822x552, 868K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tutorialspoint.com/mysql/index.htm
tutorialspoint.com/php/index.htm
tutorialspoint.com/php/php_and_mysql.htm
dataintensive.net/
phpliveregex.com/
youtube.com/user/TheSkoolRocks/search?query=clients
builtwith.com/
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
dice.com/jobs?q=java fullstack
dice.com/jobs?q=php fullstack
dice.com/jobs?q=javascript fullstack
plnkr.co
brutalistwebsites.com/
ertdfgcvb.xyz/
rutgerklamer.nl
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

[Embed
every time

I used typescript/jquery a ton at work and haven't looked at much else in the js world. Looking to make something SPA and interactive for my portfolio because I hate the kind of software I'm building. What libraries do you guys recommend for that? I'm used to using C# for backend logic but I'd like to use typescript for everything.

Complete newbie here, I'm trying to build a website that allows users to upload photos and make comments etc. that kind of basic social media stuff. What database language should I use? I found a few resources for MEAN/MERN stack, but I also heard MongoDB is a steaming pile of turd.

> but I also heard MongoDB is a steaming pile of turd.

Lies, all lies.

>MongoDB is a steaming pile of turd
NoSQL is a steaming pile of turd to work with in general.
It's essentially hacks upon hacks to squeeze out every bit of performance you can.

People imitate relational databases in NoSQL by denormalizing the shit out of it--instead of doing your JOINs at read, you do your joins at write.

This increases your read speeds by an order of magnitude but makes maintenance a nightmare.

You probably don't actually care about performance that much (at your scale either works). What you're doing is relatively relational, you should think more about whether or not your data makes sense in a relational context, and choose your DB based on that.

Thanks for the help, although I'm not exactly sure what you mean by relational context. Do you recommend any documentation I can read to understand that? Sorry about that.

tutorialspoint.com/mysql/index.htm
tutorialspoint.com/php/index.htm
tutorialspoint.com/php/php_and_mysql.htm

Save photos in filesystem and record URL in database.

Oh.
Uh.
If you're that new I'm not really sure what the best answer is, but this book will give you some things to think about at a high level. Read up to maybe chapter 2.

I forgot the book.
dataintensive.net/
The book is available on libgen, so you don't have to buy it.

Thanks again, I'll dig into these for the next week or so.

Attached: Marie_Kondo_speaking.jpg (1920x1274, 319K)

>C# for backend logic
Have you built applications using WPF before?MVVM and all that? Then you'll enjoy using React.

>embed chains
I thought I'd start a quote arrow chain too

What does /wdg/ think of postgresql?

Attached: 346.png (860x847, 258K)

Apparently good but no one will explain why it's so much better than MySQL or any other relational DB out there

Just use LAMP stack user, it's almost everywhere you look, PHP and MySQL/MariaDB is thrown in with most cheap web hosting and is more than adequate for your needs.

Being a brainlet is suffering.

On another note, how many of you webdevs use php, either for frontend, backend, or both?

And if you use it what frameworks do you use?

What would you say is the best in terms of attaining a job though? Are LAMP stacks used extensively in industry? My goal is to work as a full stack developer, however I fully understand it may take years to get there and I am willing to work as whatever else in the industry first while learning.

I find it's flavour of SQL way easier and less wordy than the others.

Anyone have any experience with PL/pgSQL?

Ok, thanks.

What do you think a good web developer should know?
I'm thinking

>git
>one backend language and one framework or CMS
>SQL
>unit testing
>JavaScript/JQuery/probably a framework as well
>CSS3/HTML5
>probaply a css preprocessors
>A11y
>SEO

How do I load another page's DOM into my Jasmine test page? I'm running unit tests through Jasmine on a separate .html page since I want to keep the project as vanilla as possible and not use Node etc. But the issue I have is that the .js file it is testing has references to elements in index.html and only that page, so my testing page is always displaying failures with TypeErrors because an element of id 'main-sect' does not exist on the testing page but it does on index.html.

Any possible solution to this /wdg/? I'm thinking of wrapping every element reference in the main .js file in a function that checks if the page it is being run on is index.html, but that seems a bit cumbersome and unprofessional.

Do you guys prefer jsbin or jsfiddle? Why?

Attached: jsbin_1x.png (400x300, 24K)

I thought about doing this for the last several threads. Glad you took the initiative.

It's like SQL for people who hate datatypes. Also it makes subqueries super easy.

Yes. I wrote pagelong queries in it at my first job dealing with 10s of millions of rows.

Freelance?

What languages?
I have a problem with the architecture and general OOP of my plugins/code. Any resources I should use? I use PHP

>It's like SQL for people who hate datatypes
I don't understand, Postgresql has datatypes, what do you mean?

For fuck's sake I just want to match non-word characters, except for some punctuation and I can't figure it the fuck out. using PCRE engine in PHP. Isn't there a way to say "match all non-word characters, except for ,.:;!?
here's my starting point:
/[\W]+/u

FWIW: Postgresql has very good language support, active maintenance and is open source. Those are most of the boxes I want to tick when choosing a database.

I only really became a fan about three years ago when we decided that our current DB was shit and wanted to choose a different one for the next project. I did a survey of all the popular DBs at the time and came up with Postgresql. It's a bit more robust and full featured compated to MySQL, it's free obviously and handles volume better than either MySQL or SQLite. There isn't a reason not to use I don't think, I managed to find a reason not to use everything else in my list, even if it was just needing to pay money or it not coping with load if we ever got big enough.

Some DBs have quirks with the drivers in some languages, others need work arounds for various shit. PostgreSQL has zero issues that I found.
The closest thing to an issue is that sometimes you need to do some DB config at the start of a project/deployment for things like date formats to work correctly. That's sort of a non-issue since you're deploying a schema anyway and schema dumps either include that sort of config or you can just copy/paste it into the dump and it will run.

Test your regexp here:
phpliveregex.com/

It saves a ton of time.

Already using regex101 for an hour now, trying all kinds of various patterns, with no success. but thanks.

Yeah but you just use text and number for everything.

Well, I suppose you can but I don't.
I'm using binary, boolean, timestamp/timestamptz, what do you want?

maybe you're thinking too much and doing too little.

json. duh

Why the fuck would you store structured data in a field in a db?

You can certainly write a driver function to translate the json into sql but I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

YES NEW COLUMN FOR EVERY STUPID ITEM!!!!!
have fun creating columns for stupid shit like user preferences which needs to be translated back to json for the front-end anyway.
so yes its clear you dont know what the FUCK im talking.

Anyone else using Visual Studio Code and having problem with Plugins on every VSC update?
Whenever an update of VSC hits, I have to delete and reinstall like 3 of my Plugins or they won't work anymore (UNLESS I start VSC as admin, then they work normally). In the Plugin overview they always have that 'restart' button, but the restart doesn't change anything. Just a delete and reinstall helps.

It's Vetur, Go language support and some shit for CSS intellisense.

I got a bunch of other addons that all work fine no matter if I start as admin or run updates.

Pretty fucking annyoing given that there's on average 2 VSC updates / day.

I can tell you don't query your data much

Look into data normalization

I also use the Go extension, no problems here, well actually ever with extensions. VSC only gets like one update a month (+maybe another one for bug fixes), make sure you aren't using the insider version.

Is there some list or /lit/ style screencap of good reads for all things webdev? From technical to business to whatever, anything.

fun fact: absolutely zero people have put any of those lists to good use

At least give me a chance, got any links?

no

so im supposed to ppc or something like that and im just an inexperienced front end dev
idek what was asked of me to do but can anyone guide me in the right direction. I am also supposed to send emails on enquiry form and i tried but it didnt work
halp

That's probably Adwords.
There is a good course on udemy for a complete beginner or otherwise just go through the AdWords Academy.

The other question would completely be dependent of your setup.

im using cpanel
they changed their layout which makes things easier but idk how to send mails, i tried a few things but didnt get a single mail

For GDPR, companies have to appoint a "Data Protection Officer". There's a >0% chance that I'll end up being the one appointed. Are there any legal chains that I'd end up bound in in that case? As in, would I be the one fucked for fuck ups of the company?

lol...you're saying you want to put little json scripts into fields and then try to call it? that might be the most mickey mouse approach at rdm i have ever heard

im gonnna pass out, hope someone replies ;-;

If you want technical just go to /dpt/. Javascript is object oriented with functional capabilities. Read up on those two paradigms as well as the MVC architecture and knowledge will transfer over. Other than that just read the documentation of whatever framework/library you're using. Business wise I have no books but there's a youtube channel that has very useful tips about the industry as a whole, for example: youtube.com/user/TheSkoolRocks/search?query=clients

Is it worth learning? I have the manual and it says you can also use Python to write functions instead of Postgres procedural language. Would it be less bullshit to just write objects in Python to handle the logic and use postgres as a RDBMs instead of trying to get shit done with functions?

I know the advantage is that your functions are located server side but I am not dealing with a gigantic database. Is that the only thing its good for?

Anyone here has experience with haproxy? I can't get my fucking ACLs to run properly...

Kid, can't really help you without being there.
We don't really know where the problem is.

Are you using WordPress?

>Discord has an API

Explain yourself. Why you don't offer your users to be notified via Discord instead of using annoying and unreliable push notifications?

json isnt scripting you clown.

no
its my schools website
i just need to be able to send emails somehow, i can access the db and insert details through cpanels phpmyadmin i think

go research urself we dont owe you shit.

>Discord
>Data mining program bigger than your mom's vagina

fuck outta here

because they're coming to use my service not Discord's

i didnt say you did, also thsi is part of research
is okay, i dont expect much from (you)

I just hunt them down personally and notify them that I see their disgusting nudes being uploaded and they need to FUCKING STOP.

Hey webshitters. I'm trying to make an extension that automatically flags dark UI practices based on heuristics. What would be the best way to go about automatically detecting say;a button being lighter than another button under the same element?

I already got an extension that is adding flags to certain html elements based on id/whatever. Should I develop a function that looks for buttons, and then looks for any other clickable element under the same element? What should I be flagging? Two clickable elements with differing styles?

keep us updated in your endeavors

That drawback is no reason to not offer it to your user. I for one would love to be able to get a message via Discord whenever someone logs into my account, and Discord can have that info for all I care.

>use a performant and pretty messaging app that you probably already have installed or install some hacky app just for a single website
huh tough choice

Do you know what it is built with?
builtwith.com/ try that and we might be able to help you better.
There are many ways an email could fail so that's quite hard to debug.

Did you try sending to shit email addresses with no spam filter? Probably some minute mails.

>privacy vs convenience argument
>judging a service based on UI alone (it's so pretty guise!)

you aren't very bright, are you?

>privacy vs convenience argument
If you inform the user about the drawbacks, there's no reason not to offer that service. Let your user decide instead of making that decision for them.

>use a performant and pretty messaging app
>performant
>on UI alone
So you're not only blind to the possibilities offered to you by Discord, I get it.

Can my github repo be just a bunch of tutorials I've gone through or does that look bad?

To be honest user, make your own projects. Follow the tutorials, then turn it into something that you would use. I tend to not be impressed if someone just follows a tutorial then lets that repo get stale.

>github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions

This roadmap is too ugly. Can someone post that backend developer roadmap with blue background colors and finishing flag at the end?

React+TypeScript is a fantastic combo, but of course Angular works too if you prefer it, since TypeScript has first-class support there

I'm assuming that by "database language" you mean "database" -- use Postgres

dice.com/jobs?q=java fullstack
dice.com/jobs?q=php fullstack
dice.com/jobs?q=javascript fullstack
Java, Python, and PHP are not going anywhere period. I'm not so sure about JavaScript, but it's still a relatively safe bet -- even if the Node hype dies down a bit like the Rails hype did, it won't go out completely before you're old enough to retire.

[^\w,.:;!?]+

works on my machine (extensions in picrel)
btw I use Arch

Attached: ss-2018-05-26-20-18-29.png (419x667, 34K)

Your portfolio should consist of only things you have made, saying you "made" something where all you did is copy someone's code is just stupid.

You can also mention your projects you've completed from courses but put it as a minor thing or on a separate page specifically dedicated to that, don't try to pass it off as your own work and especially don't display it as something important.

If your portfolio is currently only copy-pasted code from udemy, just make something of your own, you'll learn a lot more from doing that.

I'm looking for a job now though and it takes months to do an actual project

No it does not and that's a terrible excuse even if it would take a month for a big project.

If you have a shitty portfolio with 100% copy pasted code you have absolutely no proof you even know how to write your own code, come on man.

I'm a senior developer.

LOOL

stop being a pussy

Maybe your design needs reworking

Should your portfolio site be yourname.com or should you do it under the guise of owning a web development company?

the latter costs money to enforce and you aren't impressive for doing so

They both cost the same as far as registering the domain

Are you a freelancer / actual company or business? Use the name you go by.

Are you just a dude? Use your name or initials or online alias whatever.

There's no benefit to pretending to be a company if you are not one, the main reason to "pretend" would be if you are a 1 man show trying to give the impression of a more premium thing going on, so you use plurals and shit and say "We" everywhere but it's just actually you.

>as far as registering domain
surprise, that's not all you have to do if you're intending on running a business not under your birth name

What is that website style where at first it looks like crap but its actually pretty well designed?

plnkr.co

Jow Forums.org

In Angular 5 is the MEAN stack still a thing?

I heard the new Angular Cli has it's own router and all that.

Attached: black man pranking father.gif (320x180, 717K)

I remembered. Its called brutalist. I love this shit.
brutalistwebsites.com/

ertdfgcvb.xyz/

>brutalistwebsites.com/
I like it too.
This site is pretty cool: rutgerklamer.nl

brutalist is so fucking ugly
dont see how that would ever fit into the "actually pretty well designed" requirement

Guys, I have some minutes to rice my cv for a webdev job application but I can't remember the names of every backend technology I came to use or play with in the past 15+ years in a hurry. Does anybody have that blue roadmap with python, ruby, node, go, databases, containers etc? I reviewed all archived threads in Jow Forums to no avail :~

It's in the op you stupid fuck.

Nope. OP has
>github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
that is retarded and opinionated and verbose

I've been working on this project for at least 2 years now. I'm still using placeholders when signing up for APIs or naming bots related to the whole thing. I'm sick of it.

Give me your best generic project names.

Attached: fdgsdrzfgxhdyftsdfgdyg.png (236x232, 78K)

how do we fix web design

Attached: 1515977827627.jpg (1114x1420, 145K)

wait for IE to die completely
ignore safarifags
donate to mozilla

Make the page span the full width, not just 50% of the fucking screen with each side chopped off