This is the worst broadband provider in the UK. It's also the biggest. with other 40 million customers...

This is the worst broadband provider in the UK. It's also the biggest. with other 40 million customers. This router is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever made.

Why can't ISPs just be good?

Attached: 1504940108223.jpg (800x640, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dslchecker.bt.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Suits you living in a nanny state that got completely corrupted by lobbying
that's where more regulation gets you, no competition and shit products

Your pic is not BT's current router for FTTC/FTTP customers. It's an old HH4/HH5. You won't still be in contract if you still have one of those, so call them up and convince them to send you a Smart Hub/HH6. Threaten to leave, and be prepared to follow through on your threat (many other ISPs are available).

If you're an ADSL customer, then that /is/ their current router so you're shit out of lack, but frankly that's gonna be the least of your problems if you're using ADSL in 2018.

Suits you living in a police state that got completely corrupted by lobbying
that's where no regulation gets you, no competition and shit products

Honestly I'd rather have European internet than American. We still have net neutrality

so do we

Attached: 9d0088d7c022efd8d77b369a0d6ebb74.gif (800x800, 872K)

But im european and my internet is shit
Or did you think Europe is one happy Paradise or some shit?
You just happen to live in a non-shit area with good internet

Probably London. But I heard BT is shit there too.

I used to have Sky and that was half decent, now we have Virgin and it is a piece of shit

>This router is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever made.
Agree but their FTTP service is juicy

>so call them up and convince them to send you a Smart Hub/HH6
Thanks for the tip, I've probabl had this service for a few years now.
Or I might just move my tplink TL-SG1008 infront of it

Attached: results.png (761x341, 38K)

>BT Homehub
>piece of shit
It's a cheap piece of shit, but boy does it run OpenWRT really well.

By the way, I know this is nothing to brag about but everywhere else I look is 100down.

Personally I'd rather have 100 down / 100 up but it is what it is.

Also my next place will probably be some eurofag country like rural sweeden with 300 up/down.

Though I hear france has a goal to roll out gigabit connections nationwide by 20/20

I work remotely so that would actually be nice too.

>FTTP service
If they really do this, I may just renew because I'm thinking about switching to virgin I am so sick of their fucking shit.

>their FTTP service is juicy
If your pic is supposed to be FTTP, why the fuck are they jewing you on upload?

FTTP should have no issue providing symmetric speeds

Attached: 2018-05-25 13_53_27.png (351x202, 15K)

It's BT they are total jews.

My smart hub on FTTP occasionally reboots overnight, which can be inconvenient. Other than that I've had no complaints with it, although my service is only 80d/20u because I'm a cheapskate.

Only in a very limited number of areas. Getting it installed is something of an ordeal, but obviously worth it if it's available. Check with dslchecker.bt.com/

It's GPON not P2P, so upload is still inherently more limited than download. I think the max you can get is 300d/50u.

I bet they're deploying GPON as well, a tech that is at this point a decade old and already being replaced in some areas of the US anyway.

2.4gbps down and 1.2gbps up, shared between 32, 64, or 128 of your neighbors depending how they're deploying their splits.

I'd assume 64:1 split ratio per GPON, maybe 32:1, though if it were 32:1 they'd likely offer faster than 300mbps per customer.

My ISP moved to 16:1 and 8:1 GPON splits last year, and they're replacing the GPON backbone network with NG-PON2 over the next few years.

>It's GPON not P2P
The speedtest you're replying to is GPON as well, not P2P.

Huh. Regular GPON or XGPON/NGPON2/etc? I'd be surprised if gigabit up over regular GPON were reliably possible (unless you're the only subscriber on your split or something, which would make it effectively P2P)

I just found these people zen who say they do fttp and are charging way less for it that the shitcunts BT. I will look into it more but I might switch fucking today I have had it with this shit bt service which is expensive and shits the bed once a week.

>Getting it installed is something of an ordeal

I don't care I am sick of this shit and am done with the ancient copper cables.

It's regular GPON, with 16:1 and 8:1 splits

Remember, this is residential internet, 90% of the time the line is going to be unused, splitting that bandwidth simply isn't an issue.

NG-PON2 upgrades are happening though

Don't get me wrong, if you have access to it you should go for it.

Keep in mind that Zen don't handle their own cables- your ONT is still going to have a little "BT Openreach" logo on it.

I was the first person in my town, inside greater london to get FTTP. So at the time it was an experimental service. They've rolled FTTP out to more people now so I could actually check, but I never need more than 30 up anyway.

Actually it seems like Hyperoptic offer 900Mbps down and up. I might see if they can provide better.

Why DO ISP provided routers and modems always fucking shit the bed?

This seems to be a universal experience.

>Hyperoptic offer 900Mbps down and up.

In London? I doubt it.

I've had my ISP router for 4 years now and it's been fine, a bit flaky on 5ghz compared to more dedicated offerings from Ubiquiti, but not bad.

it's 3x3 802.11AC, but max speeds I can get from it are around 300-400mbps

From my Ubiquiti 2x2 802.11AC access point I can get ~400-500mbps.

So not terrible, but could be better, certainly more than enough for most consumers.

>My smart hub on FTTP occasionally reboots overnight
Mine does the same too. I think they are doing this because it can get into a fucked up state if too many packets pass through it or something. I've noticed it can grind to a halt if its uptime has gotten quite long. Perhaps there is some stateful firewall thats getting confused?

Is FTTP really that much better than FTTC? I'm really more concerned with stability over speed, 100Mbit, shit even 50Mbit I would be fine with if it was always there. But mine cuts out non-stop, Rogers sucks ass.

FTTP when installed properly and when the OLT is kept in good shape, should be pretty much flawless.

I've downloaded ~2TB in a single day over FTTP without any issues in reliability.

FTTC on the other hand relies on copper for last mile which depending how old your copper is, can be great, or it can be absolute dog shit.

>that's where more regulation gets you, no competition and shit products

UK has far less regulation than continental Europe.
Yet their internet is shit and ours is awesome.

>UK
>far less regulation
>cryptography as a concept is practically illegal
>the gun market is illegal
>you have to pay a shit ton to start a new business and hope not to get shut down by 5 different organizations that will run a check on your company for different things like fire hazards, healthy working environment etc every 6 months
>its illegal to stab someone robbing you, let alone shoot them
>its illegal to speak in a wrong way both in public and online and you get literally sentenced for it
Where do you live in that this seems light on regulation, the USSR?

Pff when I first got broadband it was dsl around 2000 and bellsouth gave me this you think your router is silly

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x225, 15K)

>Where do you live in that this seems light on regulation, the USSR?

Netherlands.

UK is basically USA-light.
Why do you think Brexit happened?
EU = social-democracy
UK, USA, Australia = Anglo-capitalist

EU = fast internet
UK, USA, Australia = shit internet.

>USA = shit internet
Sure it is bud

Attached: dat download.webm (1060x631, 1.92M)

>$400pm

"bubbly plastic" was just par for the course in 2000

You want to keep trying?

Attached: FiOS price.jpg (1005x861, 116K)

That's pretty good by America standard desu.

and it's available to over 4 million americans on the east coast, it's far from a small operation.

Well well. I've been bested. Okay, I admit defeat and am S E E T H I N G with envy ;_;

I will rate zen. They tend to be a bit more expensive than others and higher install costs. But they don't jew you on 18month+ contracts and they tend to be business focused and not consumer so their customer service isn't quite so retarded. But I've only had asdl1 and fttc with them. Their current zyxel modem is trash though.

Maybe but it looks like a sting ray it's design is just freaking silly.

As someone who works in telecoms for the UK, BT and O2 are the worst companies there.
Switch to Vodafone as soon as you can and you'll get the best possible service in the UK, which is still shit compared to the rest of Europe.
"We have this country which is rainy and windy nearly all year long, what kind of infrastructure should we have?"
"Make everything be fed via microwave radios ma nigga"

Zen are really good. I had them for 2 years with fttc and was sat on the cab. 80/20 constant for the first year, then the cab got over subscribed so they moved me to the business lines in the cab for free, they said I was the only one it at the time... Shame my new house doesn't have a copper line but virgins good enough but its no where as sick as zen was.

BTW you get static IP by default with zen and you can host your own shit on the line. Ditch the router like said asap, it is dog shit on the highest order.

>cryptography as a concept is practically illegal
>the gun market is illegal
>its illegal to stab someone robbing you
these are all not true though