Fbi reccomends everyone rebbots routers

Fbi reccomends everyone rebbots routers popularmechanics.com/technology/security/a20918611/vpnfilter-malware-reboot-router/

Known effected routers according to symantec:
Linksys E1200
Linksys E2500
Linksys WRVS4400N
Mikrotik RouterOS for Cloud Core Routers: Versions 1016, 1036, and 1072
Netgear DGN2200
Netgear R6400
Netgear R7000
Netgear R8000
Netgear WNR1000
Netgear WNR2000
QNAP TS251
QNAP TS439 Pro
Other QNAP NAS devices running QTS software
TP-Link R600VPN
Source:symantec.com/blogs/threat-intelligence/vpnfilter-iot-malware

Attached: First_Look_Home_Entertainment_(Warning_2).jpg (1932x1440, 361K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ic3.gov/media/2018/180525.aspx
asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I got ASUS .

are the north koreans behind it

FOREIGN CYBER ACTORS TARGET HOME AND OFFICE ROUTERS AND NETWORKED DEVICES WORLDWIDE
SUMMARY
The FBI recommends any owner of small office and home office routers power cycle (reboot) the devices. Foreign cyber actors have compromised hundreds of thousands of home and office routers and other networked devices worldwide. The actors used VPNFilter malware to target small office and home office routers. The malware is able to perform multiple functions, including possible information collection, device exploitation, and blocking network traffic.

TECHNICAL DETAILS
The size and scope of the infrastructure impacted by VPNFilter malware is significant. The malware targets routers produced by several manufacturers and network-attached storage devices by at least one manufacturer. The initial infection vector for this malware is currently unknown.

THREAT
VPNFilter is able to render small office and home office routers inoperable. The malware can potentially also collect information passing through the router. Detection and analysis of the malware’s network activity is complicated by its use of encryption and misattributable networks.

DEFENSE
The FBI recommends any owner of small office and home office routers reboot the devices to temporarily disrupt the malware and aid the potential identification of infected devices. Owners are advised to consider disabling remote management settings on devices and secure with strong passwords and encryption when enabled. Network devices should be upgraded to the latest available versions of firmware.

Actual source sorry for popular mechanics link. ic3.gov/media/2018/180525.aspx

Dunno right now.

How much you want to bet the fbi is just putting something on our networks and needs a reboot?

Should reboot anyway those are just confirmed cases. Anyone know how a reboot stops it?

This is legit why is it on page three already? Can we sticky?

That's not how it works.

WRT54G here, get fucked everyone.

Is this the first thread about this on Jow Forums?

I use a BEC router, so I am not affected.

Didnt see another if its a repost mods could delete.

>this list of shit bloated routers
I use Cisco at home.

Because the hacker known as Jow Forums doesn't want to lose his botnet

>chinese backdoor included for free

Attached: Catherine-D-portfolio-62.jpg (444x554, 201K)

>TP-Link R600VPN
Never heard of this model but the commonly used TP-link model apparently isn't affected so I guess I'm good for now.

>netgear r7000
fuck

I assume the FBI probably sent instructions for the malware to remove or disable itself from the system on boot or maybe the malware is only persistent in memory and rebooting wipes it from the memory.

asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

>implying it's not to implement the backdoors they've been engineering themselves this whole time
I'd rather be a part of the non-domestic botnet than the one that has actual authority over me.

Attached: _navelgazing_unabomber.jpg (300x300, 25K)

>AES-NI NUC with pfSense as router
should i care

Pi-hole best freetard router ever i have seen.

It's a Russian vpn attack botnet.

>I'd rather be a part of a confirmed botnet over one that I imagine maybe might exist possibly.

So the malware isn't in persistent storage?

Alright, that's a pretty polite malware author then, but even then, how/why is only rebooting going to work? Won't it be right back?

This. If they wanted you to be a part of theirs you already would be anyway.

>pi-hole
>router

Attached: You.png (645x729, 56K)

inb4 it's another episode of murican botnet gets 'stolen' by NK again

>i imagine might exist
You do know that the feds have been whistle-blown more times than the Russians, right?
Also:
>i know 100000% that the russian botnet is real because lord jesus hoover's spirit told me that they are spying on me right now
Where's the definitive proof that the router botnet even exists?

Just because they provide a fucking chart and claims doesn't mean it exists. Don't believe everything you read on the internet user, even if it ends with .gubbermint and especially .com(mercial)

I doubt its for politeness, it might just be that they don't have write capabilities for the onboard NAND or ROM or that by keeping the malware in memory they donn't have to target specific devices.

idk, but I had a new update.

Attached: Screenshot_20180526-123159_Firefox.jpg (1980x858, 169K)

>replacing the chinese backdoors with nsa (((opensource))) backdoors

Attached: 4k smug.jpg (2880x2160, 637K)

>You do know that the feds have been whistle-blown more times than the Russians, right?
Russia harshly punishes dissidents so people are scared to "blow the whistle." America just jails people that whistle-blow if they get caught at all.

but 2.4.3_1 is from the last month or so

Yeah, that's true, but why on Earth would you rather be a victim of your own nation's botnet rather than a non-domestic one that has effectively no power over you?

If I had to pick the shiniest of two shits, I'd rather be spied on by Ivan who'll just sell the data to his shitty scam services that I can block rather than have every single thing I ever said or that went over my router archived on the gubbermint's personal hard drives so that it can be used against me when necessary.

Weird, I was on 2.4.3 for a while but 2.4.3_1 just showed up for me recently.

I just use the modem/router combo provided to me from FiOS. How do I check the model? I can't find it written on the router and going to 192.168.1.1 I can't find a model name under any of the settings either.

Ivan could steal your identity and open up credit cards under your name and ruin your life. The American government isn't going to do that.

Nice try fbi

You could call them. Or use their chat thing

Blind dismissal of everything is just as bad as blind acceptance. Sometimes you just gotta trust the lesser of two evils

Nah, it's much more difficult to steal one's identity than that. If I never used my real name on my router, even if Ivan gets some of the credentials, he'll be unable to commit identity fraud and would rather move on to an easier target. The gubbermint though knows everything because their surveillance program is just that much more sophisticated. They won't have to track you down because they already HAVE all of your credentials.

If you make it hard enough for Ivan he won't bother trying to commit fraud and would move on to an easier target like some boomerfag that's tech illiterate.

>The American government isn't going to do that
Or they're just better at hiding what they're doing with your data.

I think you're a russian. It makes so much sense ofc you would want to plant doubt. Literally no way for you to prove otherwise. We gotcha now ivan.

Literally this. I'd bet they're probably even doing quite a bit of data selling to private sector corporations as well. Most likely to projects that require massive amounts of data as well, like AI recognition and surveillance training.

Not the same user by the way, I'm the original opposition to his claim.

> The American government isn't going to do that.
Why do you think that? The American government has done some shit, even in recent times.

... but it's a fact that they already easily could no matter what, you can only hope that most branches of the government resist doing it because they WANT to be the good guys. Despite there not always being someone to punish infractions.

Yeah I heard about this 2 days ago

ITT: muh russians

And credit card theft or something similar are probably pleb tier shit for them.

And actual russians spreading disinformation to idiots. Vote trump. Buy guns. Everyone is out to get you.

I'm russian myself and I find it funny how americans think we care so much about them lol

The govt not the average russian citizen. Sorry for generalizing.

No, they seized the dns that the data collected was being sent to, so it's going to a hole instead.

a (((hole)))

yep, you best believe they're not throwing that data away

Attached: tiredmegumin.jpg (309x325, 11K)

We have updated the wiretap version, please restart your routers to finish the installation.

Not today NSA

This is pretty serious apparently. I don't remember the last time FBI did it. Maybe when worms became a thing a long time ago?

>t. routerlet
get gud poorfag

im not gonna listen to fbiniggers

I have this one desu
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a

You can probably get a GPIO attachment that you can use to connect to the ADSL or cable and use it as a router.

>QNAP
>router
nice try, fbi

I COULDN'T UPDATE MY Netgear WNR2000

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

IS THERE ALTERNATIVE FIRMWARE IT CAN RUN?

_______ ________ __
| |.-----.-----.-----.| | | |.----.| |_
| - || _ | -__| || | | || _|| _|
|_______|| __|_____|__|__||________||__| |____|
|__| W I R E L E S S F R E E D O M

Well since you fuckers ruined our election and made the orange retard our leader, of course we don't trust you

It was released to stable on May 14. Not too long ago.

Same
I have a shitty zte phone.
2nd zte phone.
I'd rather have a Chinese government backdoor than my own governments backdoor. It's not like the Chinese government is going to help the US government

im not in USA though so idk
not giving a shit really

My OpenBSD router is fine.

Attached: 1527102160400.jpg (995x719, 115K)

Jesus Christ, learn English.

>upgrade firmer

Attached: u wot m8.jpg (600x548, 36K)

>FBI recommends
no fucking way.

Wait.... Do people actually NOT use the catalog?