Will it replace Java?

Will it replace Java?

Attached: kotlin_800x320.png (800x320, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

allegro.tech/2018/05/From-Java-to-Kotlin-and-Back-Again.html
sites.google.com/a/athaydes.com/renato-athaydes/posts/kotlinshiddencosts-benchmarks
github.com/kostya/benchmarks
github.com/frol/completely-unscientific-benchmarks
zsmb.co/on-from-java-to-kotlin-and-back-again/
kotlinlang.org/docs/reference/native-overview.html
blog.jetbrains.com/kotlin/2012/02/kotlin-goes-open-source-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes

no allegro.tech/2018/05/From-Java-to-Kotlin-and-Back-Again.html

>TLDR: null safety is too tedious to deal with so we'd rather our programs just crash.

Autistic company. Autistic developers. All of those are non-issues.

>not using Option by the year 2018

Pretty much no.

And the WAY more ambitious Scala also will just augment Java for a while now.

Attached: scala-spiral.png (304x492, 78K)

/dpt/ tier complaints.

no

this dude is beyond retarded. allegro is a shitty php shop at heart and it looks like their java devs fit in well

>Kotlin
Java with only 1/5th of java performance.
Fuck off with your russian trash

Yes, everyone is going to replace Java for another language that uses the JVM!

>nitpicking 1 of like 15 points they made

What did you mean by this? Kotlin is pretty much just syntax sugar for java.

no, it has bad performance compared to java

This is not true though

it is

>JVM is bad

nothing will replace java
never

Attached: java.png (640x480, 36K)

Maybe you should provide sources then so doesnt seem like you're talking from you ass

he is right.
Kotlin is sugar syntax for java and this imply overhead pretty much everywhere.
type kotlin performance in google and see for yourself.

Syntax sugar would mean that compilation would be slower not performance of the actual code brainlet

>requires an object to hello world
dear god in heaven
of all the languages to become massively, absurdly, all-encompassingly popular

why did it have to be this one

Well turns out when you write real code in the real world and not simple hello world apps that usually requires lots of objects and abstraction capabilities.

most of this is dumb af but kotlin doesn't have static? why the fuck not?

>66097120
Wrong.
kotlin is the living proof, what else do you need?

In the end it doesn't provide any better functionality than already in Java 10 and in future releases like Java 11.

The only people that buy up these sugar syntax languages are startups. No one serious is going to abandon Java which is going to remain in dev for years to come and is constantly getting functionality that people want.

Oh no, one company is retarded and prefers null pointer exceptions to careful and correct programming, quick, cancel the Kotlin project and delete all copies of it!

From the article
>Well, in Kotlin, method arguments are values, so you can’t change the num argument. That’s good language
WHAT THE FUCK
That's terrible
Glad I didn't fell for the kotlin meme, it appears to be the same overhyped shit as fucking rust
Always bet on Java

Get a job

With Java that is very easy. Never met an unemployed Java dev

Kotlin is pretty useless except for bringing babby programmers, who fall for syntax sugar and hype, to the JVM, but your claims about its performance are completely false. Why would you lie on the internet like that anons?

well that's the only way anything could replace Java. the JVM is perfect

sites.google.com/a/athaydes.com/renato-athaydes/posts/kotlinshiddencosts-benchmarks
faster than Java more often than not

github.com/kostya/benchmarks
2:2 tie

github.com/frol/completely-unscientific-benchmarks
slower by a negligible margin

you clearly haven't written anything beyond a hello world in any language if you think this is relevant in any way
why even have an opinion then?

this. Kotlin is only for the kind of people that would fall for the C# meme

this is a great feature that I miss in Java. I could write 'final' everywhere but it gets kinda messy in argument lists

I quoted the wrong text
But my point stands
Kotlin goes in the trash from the first paragraph
And when I reach the paragraph with the maybe null kotlin reaches rust levels of shitiness

When Java is not enough I got Clojure
Kotlin is a s-oy meme

clojure is great in theory but sucks in practice. wish it was as simple to write a clojure script as it is to write a python script. but no it's like you have to create a java project in terms of setup

Good article
Thanks user
Couldn't finish it because kotlin was awful beyond expectation
I'm glad I didn't lose more time with this meme lang
Java 11+ will wreck kotlin for good

what's due in 11?

It doesn't though. Functions are first class in Kotlin

zsmb.co/on-from-java-to-kotlin-and-back-again/

Java is finally getting it's shit together now that Oracle has handed most standardization to FOSS.

>will something thats slower than Java, but uses the same VM replace it?
Answers pretty obvious

>will something thats slower than Java
post proof right now

>resorting to jvm because your tech stack is shitty as a result of your shitty peers making poor decisions that rely on jvm to scale the app properly

From the article
>Java programmers are male.
This guy rants because the original article used a "he"
This confirms it, kotlin is exactly the same shit as rust
Avoid

>>A Java programmer comes to Kotlin. “Hi, Kotlin. I’m new here, may I use static members?” He asks.
>Java programmers are male.
*interrupts xir takedown because triggered by your pronoun*

>I enjoy debugging functions with side effects

so you're just a bunch of triggered snowflakes with no real arguments. imagine my bewilderment

Fuck you faggot
I wouldn't mind if the original article used a he or a she
It's you and kotlin fags that got triggered by a he
Fuck off with your marxist s-oy bullshit

Kotlin will always have to compile to JVM bytecode, it could only ever be as fast as Java, never faster. There is literally no point in using it, if the same thing can be done in Java, where there are more developers, and Oracle pumping out updates for it.
>B-But its easier to program in!
who cares stop being a pussy, Java isnt even hard to begin with you dont even have to manage memory

>It's you and kotlin fags that got triggered by a he
me? no, I think that remark was retarded
the author? his retarded remark makes up 1.3% of his article -- we could stay he's at 1.3/100 on the triggering scale
you? you're so fucking triggered that you completely changed the subject from programming to shitty identity politics
100/100 on the triggering scale
or you're just pretending and trying to hide the fact that you're a clueless faggot with no arguments

>something that's slower than Java
"post proof"
>well it's not slower. also updates something something
good job moving the goalpoast
and you're not even right still
Kotlin's lambdas are noticeably faster than Java's somehow
also by your logic AOT compiled Java should have the same performance in every task as C, because they're compiled to the same machine code
that's seriously retarded

Attached: chart2.png (1200x742, 31K)

No
kotlinlang.org/docs/reference/native-overview.html

>Kotlin will always have to compile to JVM bytecode, it could only ever be as fast as Java, never faster.
I don't understand this.

In 1.2 they finally added basic math fcts, sounds really nice
>I dont understand this
You dont understand how compilers work?

not with a stupid name like that

you don't understand how compilers work
>C will always have to compile to machine code, it could only every be as fast as Haskell, never faster

>arguments
My arguments is the original article
It convinced me that I don't like kotlin
I don't know who wrote the first article, if he's a man or a woman

The second article I started reading
I was not convinced
And reached the point where the author was triggered by a "he"

Sorry but this is where I draw the line
When you try to push identity politics and muh pronouns I don't give a shit what you are saying

But even before this point I wasn't convinced

And yes, this matters a lot
My well being matters and when a "community" has these kinds of behaviours I don't want to have anything in common with them

Look at the comments of the first article, the author accuses anyone criticizing him of personal attack. He seems like a real brainlet.

You're retarded. C doesnt compile to the fucking Haskell compiler, your analogy doesn't make any sense. Haskell's runtime system is written in C, if anything, Haskell can only ever be as fast as C.
The point is to use the language a compiler was actually meant for.
Kotlin adds nothing to the table, but makes you re-learn a new language that has no tangible benefits over Java, except for being less employable, and being an edgy hipster.

Never
Java and the standard library is open source now
Kotlin isn't
Kotlin is made by a proprietary house that has a vested interest in closed source ides
It's in their interest to keep kotlin closed
I'm not going to trade the freedom that modern Java provides for the shakles of kotlin, which by the looks of it is worse than java and objectively not as well tested or proven in the real world

Judging from the second article I can imagine the reckless faggotry and reddit self righteous stupidity the author had to suffer
More reason to avoid kotlin and the fags associated with kotlin

Kotlin fags appear to have the exact same behaviour as rust fags
This doesn't look good for kotlin

kotlin is just a bunch of disgusting syntax sugar

The point they were trying to make is that java was designed with the jvm and is unlikely to have better performance in practice. In theory it is possible for kotlin to be faster than java.

Kotlin though is created by the jetbrain devs
And jetbrain is bloated and slow
I bet kotlin will quickly end up being an ugly slow bloated mess without any good features and a lot of shills

blog.jetbrains.com/kotlin/2012/02/kotlin-goes-open-source-2/
Who are you people shitting on this language? It is an alternative to Java that doesn't have any lofty goals, I think that if you're not tied to Java, you might want to look into it.

No, it will replace Włocławek and Pudliszki, or at worst Winiary

So you're admitting its a half baked language that has no place in any professional environment. sweet. Java's whole purpose is enterprise development, Kotlin really misses the point.

Kotlin tries to allow developers to do everything that Java does in a more pleasant environment. How is it half-baked?

Because it sounds like shit. Why bother doing any research when you cant talk out of your ass?

This developer is so fucking retarded I'm surprised he's allowed anywhere near anyones codebase.

Kotlin might be shit, but this asshat doesn't know why.

>reversed types
>First, you need to type and read this noisy colon between names and types. What is the purpose of this extra character? Why are names separated from their types? I have no idea. Sadly, it makes your work in Kotlin harder.

Jesus christ what a brainlet. That colon is so much extra work it really wears me out having to press one more key.

ok princess

could you explain how Kotlin's lambdas are faster than Java's lambdas if Kotlin "could only ever be as fast as Java, never faster"?

Because you're a stupid Jew

are you Jow Forumstards menstruating today?

>I-It must be Jow Forums
hows your first year on Jow Forums going?

It sucks man I sure wish I could be a hardened 10 year Jow Forums veteren. Maybe some day I'll be a big guy like you.

>this is the level of discourse from kotlin fags
This was a good thread
Kotlin fags were exposed and they are just as bad if not worse than rust fags
On second thought you are worse than rust fags, looking forward (not) to the "rewrite it in kotlin" threads

4 u

>Kotlin's lambdas are faster than Java's lambdas
[citation needed]

Huh never heard of it before. Seems neat. I might hate the jvm less because of this language.

The reason why I'm learning Kotlin is because it can compile to JavaScript, so I can write front end web applications without ever having to use that fucking garbage language.

>what is typescript
>what is coffescript

Did java decide against forcing everyone to use the autistic module system in 10+? If not its dead as fuck

>two other horrifically bad languages

How do you rename a file in Kotlin?

mv

no it doesn't
brainlet alert

Java is for street shitters
Kotlin is for loo shitters
lrn2poo

>Im intimidated by street shitters because I'm a brainlet that cant code for shit

They beg me for work at least 1000 times a day. Why would I be intimidated by third world trash?

>my point still stands
what fucking point? you misquoted retard
all we have from your original post when disregarding your erroneous greentext is
>"quote from article"
>WHAT THE FUCK
>That's terrible
>Glad I didn't fall for the overhyped meme
>Always bet on Java

why should I bet on Java?
What is terrible
eat shit faggot fuck

Option is fucking useless

Enjoy your checking for null boilerplate and nullpointerexceptions

But Option is itself nullable.

Not unless you do something retarded like
Option myOption = null

Only certain operations make sense to return a null value and obviously option is not one of them.

that's a clever trick

>Get a job
Java will get you one, what's your point.

see read the thread before posting next time

I'm not even a kotlinfag, but keep fighting these strawmen in your head if it makes you feel better.

Man, the arguments some of you make here. If you all were nicer to each other and open to new concepts, you might even learn something once in a while.

>the arguments some of you make here
But not a single argument itt against kotlin amounts to anything more than "but it smells like poo"

nope

>what is clojurescript