Home server

I wanna make this meme into a server
How retarded am I?

youtu.be/wd0SorcRVPg

Attached: X220 server.jpg (600x451, 50K)

>How retarded am I?
very

Why?

You're not retarded. Turning an old ThinkPad into a server is actually a good idea because it's plenty powerful, it has a UPS (battery) and it is efficient.

Yeah
But I want it to be wireless too
Wifi server

>Wifi server

Attached: this-is-bait_o_4215185.jpg (1245x996, 223K)

I wish
I am "tech enthusiast"
Or better known as a retard

This. I use a really old Toshiba laptop. It's been working for 5 years now.
Yes, it can be

I've tried it before with Ubuntu server
But I think this time i'm just gonna run ubuntu or some other GUI

Not retarded at all, I have a similar set up at home, old dell laptop running ubuntu server 18.04 with samba, emby, and rtorrent.

The only problem with it is it's on WiFi (shared router with landlords so I can't plug it in). File transfers are painfully slow (

I have an old Dell that doesn't even support 64bit running over wifi as a niggerrigged server. It works mostly okay.

>shared router with landlords
What the fuck?

this, except my server is a x61s with 8 old hard drives hooked up to a usb hub in a btrfs storage pool. it runs on grsec, really needs an update. also can't you run two msata ssds in the x220 once you chuck the wifi card

You're not.

I think you would be better off with a T420/T430 than an X-series + Ultrabase.

They have an mSATA port, like the X-series, a regular 2.5" hard drive bay, and a CD drive bay which can be replaced for another 2.5" drive.

also the X220 and X230 can only take 7mm height 2.5" drives which pretty much all SSD's are but a lot of HDD's are not and you have to search for slim ones

Its not really retarded but depends on what you want to use it for. You might be better off using a free tier ec2 instance or kvm machines on a more powerful desktop.

I want proxmox with xpenology(as nas) and rancher os running in vm's. I want to run my gitlab instance, Jenkins, tiny tiny rss, caldav/carddav server, taiga.io instance, calibre cops, cups + turboprint, SANE, pxe boot server, ansible, aria2 and transmission with Web frontends, some stuff for monitoring and homelab management(zabbix or multiple different services), personal draw.io and regex101 clone instances, and my self written soft on scala(web frontend to Org mode notes), stuff for automation(home assistant, kibitzr), link aggregation stuff, vivaldi sync server(in future), asterisk with GSM gateway, Emby, Shinobi or zoneminder, bitwarden as docker containers through rancher. Should I get hp microserver g7 with ups or x200? How much ram will I need? Do I need ecc ram if I will use ext4 for my storage?

x200 is not powerful enough for that. A server with 24-32 gb ram would probably work nicely.

>shared router with landlords so I can't plug it in
why not buy your own cheap router and plug it into the landlord's router? that way you have your own personal LAN while only using one ethernet port on your landlord's router

or if you get a fancy router you can bridge it to your landlord's router over wifi and not use one of their ethernet ports at all

Will quad core t420/w520 with 16 or 32 gb of ram get the stuff done?

Probably not very well if you want all that running at the same time. If you can deal with just 1-2 things at once then sure it will work fine. But you can find hp servers for cheap around $100-200. 16-20 gb might work but youd probably be pushing very close

fuck you, you just made me reinstall CS

1u rack server will be really loud for my room.

They actually arent that loud but you could find an old tower server instead like a dell precision. Thats what I use.