/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: 1513616061872.jpg (1920x1080, 450K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2014&sDisplayTechs=2&idBatRemovable=1
youtu.be/E_ujghcfSUA
forum.xda-developers.com/v20/themes/kcal-settings-best-display-color-t3653992
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19810017132.pdf
nofile.io/f/wqNnQ39uw8R
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29573716
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26300312
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23802593
aliexpress.com/item/a/32854052775.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's the best phone under $300 with a removable battery and an OLED screen?

Depends if glue, screws, and ribbon cables are removable enough for you

Pretty much every phone is non-removable these days because muh thinnes

galaxy s4

Lineage or Resurrection lads? Why?

>removable battery
This is not a thing anymore. You have to go back to 2014 to find anything decent.

nokia 7 plus or 8? they're similar price where i am

Xiaomi Redmi 4X

This thing is too good for it's price. The camera sucks tho.

what's a good successor to the moto g?

I bought the moto g lte back in 2014 and it's served me well, but I think the battery's on its way out now (and it's a bit slow when it comes to a few things)

What's a good budget smartphone?

Take a pick
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2014&sDisplayTechs=2&idBatRemovable=1

I hear camera is better on the 7+, battery life should be too. 8 has obviously the edge in performance. 7+ is newer so it should get updates for longer (8 will go Nougat > Oreo > Android P, 7+ Oreo > P > Q).

Redmi Note 5, unless you're in the US.

My Nexus 5 is on is death throes. I've narrowed the potential upgrades to the S9 or Pixel 2, both smaller versions. I'm more interested with user experience here for the S9, is the Samsung UI still laggy as fuck or have they gotten better? Is the back button still reversed?

I'm looking for a cost effective android phone that has a rock solid GPS, good battery life and decent performance. How is the Moto G5 Plus? Will it respect my freedums?

Attached: moto-g5-plus-gray-1000.png (1000x1000, 652K)

Looks like a good phone to me

Not sure how much this will be since it's a different phone, but I have the G5S and the GPS isn't very accurate, even compared to my old Moto E 2nd gen. Maybe they fixed this in the Plus, who knows.
Other than that it's a great phone, thin and light, perfect size screen, adequate performance and amazing battery life. The protruding camera bump thingie can be annoying for some I guess, I don't mind it. Makes it easier to find the correct side when fiddling around your pocket, and prevents the actual camera glass cover from scratching since it doesn't sit flat against whatever you put it

My Redmi 5 Plus global got here yesterday.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the LTE logo when I put my SIM card in. Online specs sheets said it had no TMobile LTE bands. I bought it despite that due to the specs and the fact that I'm grandfathered in the plan. I check the manual, and mine has all of them except one. I get about 17 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up, which is normal LTE bandwidth in my location. What's more, the manual is written in perfect Spanish. This is in Puerto Rico, btw.

Only issue now is that unlocking the bootloader is way more complicated than it needs to be due to some security bug. Other than that, 10/10 would buy again.

Look for a phone with a plastic housing if you want rock solid WiFi and GPS signal.

I need to buy a smartphone for my father who never ever used one before. My budget is 200-250€. What can I buy that is simple to use?

iPhone 6 or 7.

I just brought a xiaomi note 4. Did I fucked up? I fucking knew it.

yeah no Apple of course.

wait at least 1 month for the review m8

Nokia 6.1 (AKA Nokia 6 2018)

>Got myself an LG V20 last week
>Working like a charm
>Play some shitty pixel "retro" black and white game for 20 minutes today
>Notice serious fucking screen burn
I think I was better off with my Lumia 640. Fucking screen burn on a phone? This is some next level bullshit.

Attached: 1516984907061.jpg (800x423, 99K)

post a perfect future phone that's instant buy for you

>wireless charging
>borderless (full)
>android one
>lineageos in the future
>in screen fingerprint reader
>waterproof
>high ifixit score
>decent camera optical stabilization
>headphone jack
>sd card slot
>8xx snapdragon >4gb ram
>around $300

So now that there is an actual method for rooting almost all V30 variants... Should I get it over a Mi Mix 2? It's $430 on AliExpress

It's a LCD display so it's ghosting, not burn in. It shouldn't be permanent.

>5.5" inch
>no bezels
>no notch
>820+ sd
>5k+ mAh battery
>digital and hardware ois
>headphone jack
>fm radio

Why not the Redmi 5+? They're literally the same phone with different screens?

I want phone that:
Is cheap
Has headphone jack
Waterproofing
Supports lineage os without any major bugs
Will last me another 4 years

Is there anything better than used lg g6? How is lineage on global s8?
My g2 is starting to get old.

I have a Galaxy Note Edge. It suddenly got laggy yesterday and over the course of the day, it became worse to a point where the phone was unresponsive for entire minutes. I tried restarting but that didn't solve the issue. Over night, it completely died. It won't turn on anymore, the LEDs don't indicate any loading process while I have it plugged it either. What could the problem be? Is there anything I could try?

>cheap
>waterproofing
pick one

Used g6 is kind of cheap.
Around 300usd. Or even less.

Galaxy A3 and A5 2017 come within IP68 water resistance for ~200€

Moto X4 is IP67 for ~300€

best cheap phone for android development? are BLU phones good?

>Only issue now is that unlocking the bootloader is way more complicated than it needs to be due to some security bug.
Security bug? Global variants/firmwares have been exempt from a 360 hour waiting period if you weren't aware. If you've tried to bind your account, that may have triggered the waiting period regardless.
youtu.be/E_ujghcfSUA
Have you followed this tutorial?

>This is some next level bullshit

Welp I'm glad you described your entire post cuz the v20 doesn't even have an oled screen you dingus.

what kind of screen display do you look for in a smartphone?

Agree but I'm not going to use a phone longer than 15 cm again. And 180 grs is in the border of what I consider too heavy. I have here a nokia 920 to remember me forever why I don't want anything heavier.

Not the same user, but I prefer good lcd screens, with good calibration and contrast.
While OLED saves battery and has better contrast, it's really fucking fragile.
I know someone who bumped his note 5 into a door and it left a big black spot. It was literally 20 minutes after he unboxed it.

I like the appeal of OLED for its deep blacks but LCD seems to be a tried and tested tech. I read it is nice to get sRGB colour gamut with it

forum.xda-developers.com/v20/themes/kcal-settings-best-display-color-t3653992

here, this might help

Alright, you have good reasons, I guess.

I have a Redmi 5+, both it and RN4 are fine except for the camera (obviously) and the microphone (when used to record).

I frequently record lectures and such, so it bothers me. It's not unusable, but no where near my old Xperia.

I followed tutorials on XDA that's mostly along those lines, except you no longer need to write a request or wait for approval. It works for some people with global versions, not for others.

The thing with blacks on lcd is that it's deep enough when the screen is brighter than the surroundings. You only notice it indoors under dim light.

Whoops! I meant to say less bright than surroundings.

I prefer to use dark themes on the phone though, along with redshift/f.lux so I need to have deep blacks I think

iFag here
Currently using an iphone 5 and would like to upgrade. The SE2, if it actually comes out, is probably going to be a joke. I am currently looking at a refurbs on ebay. Would like to install lineage if possible.

If I bought a used galaxy S7 from a reputable seller, what would I be in for?

I suppose a mostly-black screen would be pushing it on an lcd screen.

Like I said earlier, after that incident with the note 5, I'm not going to buy a phone with oled unless it's the standard like built-in batteries.

>tfw the chinks raised its price to be as much as the note 4x
IT'S UNFAIR

the emulator that comes with android studio

Mi note 5 or mi 6? Is it worth the extra money?

My brother gave me his iPhone 5s to use until I get an s9
What’s the best image board browser for iOS and what’s the best jailbreak method for iOS 11.3.1 if there is one out there?

>inb4 reddit

Attached: file.png (246x41, 3K)

JUST
its so fucking ugly right now, how am I supposed to rice my shit without jailbreaking it

Redmi 5 or redmi note 5

There's nothing out there that will beat those price and specs

Best successor to the Moto G would be another Moto G.

Using the G4 Play right now. It's a bit old now but it's still solid, and the custom ROM support is great.

You forgot sd card and removable battery
Then it would be perfect

Back in 2011 I remember my only android phone, the Galaxy S, having atrocious GPS performance (taking forever to find signal, location jumping all over the place, etc...). The iphones I've had even before the Galaxy S all had flawless GPSes. I do want to try out an andriod phone again, but only if the GPSes are comparable to the iphones. Is that the case nowadays?

Thanks, Android One looks like it will be simple

Anyone here with an xperia z5 compact?
If so, how is it?

Are tempered glass screen protectors actually useful? I tend to drop my phone a lot, will they help or will a case do me better? My last phone's screen got shattered and I don't want the new one to go the same route.

Had one, would still recommend

Pretty old now and has a bad year's cpu, id just get an xz1c for cheap. Great balance of power, battery, and software updates for the price nowadays

What's the best case to get for a One Plus 6?

S6 for 200 on ebay

Rock that thang nekkid

Pls help

Attached: IMG-20180301-WA0013.jpg (1000x1000, 273K)

fellas I bought the Honor 9 Lite instead of the Nokia 6 greatly reccomended.I dont regret it as yet,surprisingly decent phone even if the UI is Huaweis wack ass UI.

v30 is an ace of a phone.

is it autistic to get extremely happy and excited whem i see xiaomi and honor phones in irl stores

Ok sp/g/

>Device name and model

>App List

>Frequently Used App

>Least Used and liked App

Im thinking of the new moto g6

I'm going to need a new phone in a couple months because my current one is a piece of shit, and I don't really know much of anything about current smartphones.

I only really use it for browsing, messaging, using a select few apps, and taking photos. I don't really know about a budget since I'm earning a decent amount now and have been saving up for something. I don't remember the last time I played a game on my phone, so that doesn't matter.

Size-wise I wouldn't really want one bigger than a Sony XZ, which is what a friend has and seems about as large as I'd want. Anyone have any suggestions straight away? I'm a britbong in case that matters.

Occasional reminder that the fields emitted by "smart"phones are strongly biologically active, and damage your body on every meaningful level.

>"But how, you luddite xfljksehklfskl!?!?"
Overall, changes in calcium flux and elevated free radical generation. At an even lower level, multiple models have been proposed, multiple of which are probably at work in various ways. They include matching of the ion cyclotron resonance frequency of Ca2+ and other molecules, generation of solitons in membrane bound glycoproteins via subtle conformation shifts following changes in the structure of water around them when exposed to a polarized field, and a direct, coloumbic "ratcheting" of certain calcium channel proteins on the cell exterior. The full spectrum of effects is too wide to fully communicate, and RF is not properly viewed as an external destructive toxin. It many ways it's simply hijacking or mimicking signalling mechanisms cells use anyway.

>Why would this be going on despite it being known these fields are damaging since the early 70's?
Various players have come and gone over time, for various reasons. Some constants have remained, which are money (control), and liability. Formation of legislative chokepoints makes this intent clear, eg, refer to the 1996 telecommunications act. Section 704, subsection 4, pre-empts local control over tower siting and forbids arguments based on impact to the environment or public, as long as sucha tower conforms to established exposure standards. Therefore you only have to control the safety standard and ensure it only takes into account thermal tissue interactions. This was done and has been maintained. Naturally, in the US even these invalid exposure limits have become pretty poorly enforced.

Reviews of the already vast literature were done in 1972 by the Naval Medical Research Institute, and later in the 80's by NASA, supporting the aforementioned.

>Occasional reminder that the fields emitted by "smart"phones are strongly biologically active, and damage your body on every meaningful level.
Cite your sources.

There are too many important papers over the last 60 years. You're stuck between many walls of studies, and too few. Too many names and places, and too few.

Here's a few reviews, and some names.
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19810017132.pdf
nofile.io/f/wqNnQ39uw8R

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29573716
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26300312
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23802593

Adey WR, Suzanne Bawin (UCLA Brain Research Institute)
Henry Lai (University of Washington)
Allan Frey
From there you can begin to follow citations.

Books:
Nonlinear Electrodynamics in Biological Systems, Adey and Lawrence 1984
Electromagnetic Fields and Circadian Rhythmicity, 1992
Pathological Effects of Radio Waves, Tolgskaya 1995

best looking Sony phone imo. Feels nice to hold. People have reported problems with it but I've been fine using debloated stock images. I would get an X Compact now though, about the same price for more ram and a better screen. Plus the battery would have degraded less because it's newer.

Attached: xperia z5 compact.jpg (3745x3021, 998K)

New rumors today that there will be a "Compact" version of the Lenovo Z5.

Friend of mine has it, thing has a malfunctioning camera and a bunch of other issues as well as being slow and having poor battery life. I’ve got the Z5 Premium and also quite a few issues, a lot of it probably due to the terrible processor in the Z5 generation as well as some shitty software on the camera side. Imo get the next XZ1 compact if you want Sony and if it’s still in your budget

Cases with a hard frame (not just silicone) are really what will keep your phone from shattering. Screen protector won’t do that much unless the phone is hit right on the screen, as the screen will usually still get the same shock through the frame of the phone

Thanks, does this one
aliexpress.com/item/a/32854052775.html
look fine to you?

Be honest. How excited are you?

Attached: Lenovo_Z5.png (825x561, 694K)

Is there any cheap, decent Android phone which supports wifi calling? I get shit reception in my home so I need this. I bought a Redmi Note 5 but had to seel it as it didn't have wifi calling. Still stuck with an overpriced fucking iphone 7.

>Being upset that you don't have a cell tower near your house

Refer to:
You've been spared forced exposure to an agent that causes brain damage.

Looks ok, should offer some protection. There are certainly cases with better shock protection out there, but they will be less sleek.

>tfw waiting for the Key2

Attached: DQLAj3kUEAAHRWf.jpg (500x534, 52K)

What's the most lightweight OS (battery wise) which I can install for my phone?

And please supply a tutorial.

Current on-carrier phone vs. what I think is the Xiaomi I'm debating importing (Xiaomi's naming scheme is fucking stupid).

Is losing so many bands a deal breaker? How many do you need for good service?

Attached: Photo_2018-05-28_07-52-04_AM.png (1936x1936, 524K)

It's nothing specific, but search XDA for battery-friendly kernels. You can underclock your phone's CPU with some ROMs.
Also not using gapps will probably save a lot if you wanna do that.

Hypothetical: can they implement the camera2 API with a software update?
Because right now GCam doesn't work on the XZ1 Compact, which is still stuck on 8.0 and no news on 8.1

Anyone have experience with Sony, LG, or Samsung warranties? Need your opinions to inform my phone choice.

I'm coming from an HTC 10. i chipped the fingerprint scanner (on the HTC 10, it doubles as the home button). I managed to remap that function to long pressing the back button but it's still annoying. They kept me waiting for six months because they didn't have any HTC 10s to swap my phone out with even though my warranty was unexpired and covered accidental damage. I don't want to deal with that bullshit again if something happens to my next phone.

Before that I was using an unlocked Galaxy S4. That was annoying too because Best Buy sold me an international smartphone that Samsung refused to repair unless I shipped it to Oman or some shit, but that was Best Buy's fault so I'll entertain the S8 or the S8 active

tl;dr: please see first sentence

Attached: 1518073175838.png (1026x1193, 247K)

I don't know if it's specific to the phones I know about, but with the redmis for example it's a matter of changing a line in the build.prop file

Attached: awe.gif (249x172, 721K)

>all these phone manufacturers making glass backed phones without wireless charging

explain this

Attached: 1460346468480.png (540x540, 249K)

Induction charging doesn't require a non-ferromagnetic case.

The magnetic fields generated by such devices are bad for you.

ZUI

I had a Z5 Premium and the warranty was 10/10, replaced my phone twice and within a week each time no questions asked and no receipt needed even though I had clearly broken it myself. They even sent me a box with postage on it to send it to them in, though I’m not sure if they still do that.

This is in Europe though, I’ve heard Sony customer service in the US is total shit since they don’t seem to care about the US market as much

>smartphone
>under 300€
>5" max
>not apple
>decent battery life
>not old shit if possible
>bonus point for decent pictures and videos

Why can't we have a phone like this:
>Removable battery
>4.5k mAh+
>SD card
>headphone jack
>Good quality oled screen
>Android one

you forgot
>4.5" screen
>easy to root

And desu, I'd be more the person to ask why we can't simply have a smartphone close to a computer with open source drivers so we could use SD card to boot on and install whatever linux shit we want and use our own distribution and software, and have an actual control of what's going on.

No I don't want a little shitty ass screen. I use my phone for tasks that actually require a smartphone not basic communication so I want a usable screen.