What's the best text editor Jow Forums?

What's the best text editor Jow Forums?

Attached: 1524349007754.jpg (750x570, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/ed/manual/ed_manual.html
ptpb.pw/-y-1.json
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

literally whatever editor will get you to shut up, write, and be productive.

notepad once they add alternative line endings which will be soon

ed

the one you like

anything with syntax highlighting and line numbers to hunt for bugs after you compile :o

I just write in the reply box and paste it elsewhere.

In windows, metapad.
In the unix console, nano.
In x-windows, leafpad.

gnu.org/software/ed/manual/ed_manual.html

why nano instead vim/vi?

sometimes people are just wrong.

I want to make a version of this that lets you go back lines in append mode, which is doable in ncurses.
Because vim isn't something you "develop into", it's only for 0.05% of the people editing text on Linux who want to use it.

>Because vim isn't something you "develop into", it's only for 0.05% of the people editing text on Linux who want to use it.
you say that like people are born using vim. i "developed into" using vim. it's not my primary text editor, but it's my preferred editor for quick stuff locally and basically all stuff remotely.

stick to talking about your own experiences. your conclusions aren't watertight.

>inarguably the most popular text-mode editor, its movement keys and concepts showing up all over the system in areas ranging from TUI tools to web browser plugins to even other editors (such as Kate and even emacs, with an extremely popular plugin and even a whole distribution that revolves around it); installed on nearly every BSD and Linux system by default

>only 0.05% of the user base wants it

Do you live in a fucking cave?

>Because vim isn't something you "develop into"
How can one person be so wrong using so few words?

>browser plugins
>influenced KDE editor and emacs shortcuts
>has plugins
>another Linux distribution that doesn't work

vim isn't bad but all the other stuff you mentioned is

echo

Is there any editor with nano's bindings but feature-wise similar to vim? I'm not fan of modal editors.

Maybe xwpe is up your alley. Is more of an IDE but more lightweight than vim.

I'm split between Emacs with Evil Mode and VSCode with Vim keybindings.

That said, vim keybindings are a must.

I think Emacs is better than VSCode because I can switch between files very easily and very quickly, so it kicks ass when editing multiple files in a small timeframe.

Now, VSCode has autocompletion and other nice little features such as knowing when a variable is declared but not used et cetera, but it is very slow in regards to switching from one file to another.

So I switch constantly between them depending on the task.

Also, Vim for quick edits.

pluma

Spacemacs

Attached: spacemacs.png (256x256, 46K)

>VSCode has autocompletion
Dude, Emacs more than likely has that too.

VB.NET Stream File Writer

echo + redirection

awk

I use Windows at work, and I don't think I'd still have my job if it wasn't for Notepad++.
For loonix, I just use Sublime or nano because I can get things done quickly and I'm familiar with them.

joe offers near perfect emulation (launch jpico) alongside other advanced features and from micro you can use ptpb.pw/-y-1.json saved in ~/.config/micro/bindings.json, but some stuff need to implemented as Lua and also rebind some of micro's own features to other bindings

Emacs because it can do everything and it's very customizable

Half the time emacs just embeds another program into it rather than doing it itself

Not true

vim takes resolve to learn
if you want to be a wizard and be able to fly around anything file, for an application, on any machine, you learn vim

its long, hard, and will shaft you at pretty hard at first like a jamal who living off merkels teet, but eventually you will rise and become all powerful, having total control over your work, life, and jamal in the concentration camps you macroed in you vimrc-shwitz

Most gnu coreutils share SOME shortcuts in common with emacs, too. Bash has an emacs and a vim mode. I think the emacs is slightly nicer on command line while using vim to edit forever. Single-modifier-shortcuts are perfectly reasonable in emacs. C_M is not okay.

Vim or whatever ide you need for your proeject and a vim plugin

atom

i want to pirate that new ed book but there are no scans

please expand upon your choice

whats a good "joe-like" editor? i always wanted to try one out for real

Remember it's not a text editor if it doesn't have a LISP interpreter.

Reminder, every programming language contains a buggy slower loosely specified implementation of lisp.

Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Common Lisp.

nano