Hard-drive starts grinding mere months after you bought it

>hard-drive starts grinding mere months after you bought it

Attached: lego of that.jpg (570x630, 187K)

that's great. too soon for me to have put a ton of content into it and gotten dependent on the capacity, and i'm still within warranty.

the only way this could be better would be if the store employee could see into the future whenever they touched technology and told me the unit i was holding was going to crash soon.

Dont buy shit from seagate

every single brand has a bathtub failure curve. the y-axis values differ between brands, but some higher percentage of hard drives from every company will fail within the first few months of use, and then the failure rate drops precipitously, and then eventually it shoots up.

it's like human life. every country has a non-zero infant mortality rate. babies are very fucking fragile and any number of complications could cause kids to die young. some places are better than others.

>seagate

Attached: 531d51eeb3fef8499372ecaf280db5b86c70fcb8386bba28d0a7f10fe6213e13.jpg (800x450, 42K)

THIS
Yesterday my 8TB Seagate drive just randomly died after 4 months....
6TB TV shows lost....

Had a HDD fail after about 4000h
it was a 1.5tb and they gave me a 2tb free of charge

Attached: do the math.jpg (1376x884, 332K)

>tfw I've had a 3TB seagate barracuda (the one with the highest failure rate) under heavy load for over 4 years and it hasn't failed yet

Attached: inda_haa.png (428x436, 361K)

Is an SSD really worth it?

I'm trans btw

>not having a backup
>using seagate

Attached: 1503110740415.jpg (540x540, 44K)

Hold up, I thought Seagate were good.. What's a good brand then? Other than Toshiba.

WD?

> Toshiba
> good
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

seagates were known to be problematic since the 7200.11 model, which came out in like 2008.

western digital, and especially HGST, are known to be quite good. but as i said earlier, all hard drives have a bath tub curve. just back your shit up and be emotionally prepared for a catastrophic incident that annihilates the space where your hard drives live.

and then you'll be fine.

>put laptop on angled stand
>hard drive now sounds like it's rusty while booting

I wonder what you motherfuckers do to make your hard drive fail just months after buying it

Nothing. It's a loterry.

Retards playing video games from their HDDs and not using SSDs for vidya like a normal person.

i wonder what you do to make you think this is entirely driven by our behavior.

>mere months

You're lucky, mine was grinding the day I bought it

>not having a homelab or a simple NAS with ZFS RAID1/5

data hoarders deserve everything they get

>several hard drives in my server are over ten years old
>none of them have ever given me any problems
>meanwhile average Jow Forumstards can't keep their hard drives in good order for more then a few months
Seriously. What are you fucking retards doing to fuck up your hard drives so quick?
>inb4 hur brand X sucks
Fuck off retard

They keep on trying to game on shitty HDDs that weren't built for anything more than pictures and videos

Attached: 1518520110498.png (586x509, 33K)

Meanwhile my shit-tier 80G barracuda from 2005 is still going strong.

Through my nearly 30 years, the only HDD which actually died was an 80GB Maxtor.
Still have functioning 2 40GB ones, a 250GB one, a 750GB Samsung which has smart errors but still works, a 1 TB Samsung which started being unable to finish self-tests but eventually got better, 2 2TB WD greens, a 1 TB a 2 TB and 2 3 TB Toshiba drives working without issues.
But already had 2 SSDs die within 2 years.
Hell, I even found an 8 GB Seagate in the garage which still works.

Attached: Good ST38421A.png (673x772, 123K)

Is this supposed to be mean or insulting or what ?
Do you agree with data hoarding ?
Sorry if it was obvious and my autism got the best of me

>HDDs that weren't built for anything more than pictures and videos
bait

My cheap laptop 1tb drive has sounded like there was sand grinding in it for over a year now and it hasn't failed. Am I good?

Put a large magnet to it to make sure that it still runs correctly

This.

lol stupid nigga just use the ssd drive

>he still use hdd drive in >2011

Grow up gtards, ssd drive are not so bad anymore. Get out from under your rocks.

Attached: lollollol.jpg (960x792, 201K)

That's what I get for buying used server hardrives

>Case fans resonate together in unison.

Attached: it_is_beyond_any_limit_of_normal_behavior.jpg (700x582, 91K)

HDD $/GB: 0.0000000000001
SSD $/GB: 1000000000000

What is the best then?

No problem, just hotswap it with a new one.
You do have redundant storage, right user?

I've had a 2TB Seagate for three years and had zero issues.

This. I got a 250 Gb hdd from 2006-ish and it still runs flawless.

Find me a 10tb ssd. Dick.

Attached: macaulay-culkin_holding-face.jpg (352x401, 26K)

Go back to /v/.

>TFW you’re running two Seagate constellation AS in RAID for at least 5-6 years and still 0 badblocks and performs like day one
This

Attached: image.jpg (620x350, 157K)

>he actually uses SSDs for accessing files that are there for long term storage, don’t benefit from SSD access times, when HDDs are just as good for less than half the price per gigabyte
Did you make the jump from WD Green to an ADATA ssd and think that actually represents how things work?

Mine only grunts when I play open-world games on it. It doesn't make a peep when playing platformers or when watching videos. So I just got an SSD for OS and games.

Attached: loldisnigga.png (883x913, 798K)

Return it for a refund you retard.

feels good

>implying single drive parity is sufficient
It's like you want to trash your zpool or something user
Mirrors all the way for performant datasets tho

Seagate makes a 30TB SSD

>SSD arrives last week
>Open computer to set it up
>Notice there's no more space for any more drives, all the bays and possible slots used up
>Fucking duct taped the shit out of the SSD on top of the HDD bays
This is how much I trust duct tape.

Attached: F7271300-01.jpg (444x409, 24K)

>duct tape adhesive residue in computer case
Disgusting. Use zip-ties you uncivilized swine.

Buy Hitachi drives. They're cheap but I've never had problems with them dying early. Filled servers with dozens of them and they just keep going.

Welcome to Windows 10 OP. Basically HDDs are no longer supported. Get a mac.

Covered. Annoying due to having 2 sata cards but works out in the end.

Attached: Icy dock 8 bay.png (1370x599, 254K)

>2 SATA cards
Why not get a single dual port SAS card? A single mini-SAS port can do 4 SATA hard drives at full rated speeds

Pic related.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-27-21-35-14.png (1440x2560, 807K)

Sorry, should have been more specific. 2 PCs as having a backup. I got more 320 gb 2.5 normal SSDs than is believable.

Oh ok. I thought you meant more than 1 SATA card in the same PC. And why such small drives? I mean I understand having/using the drives available, but 320GB is really small. Smallest I'd bother supplying power to is 1TB.

>buying a harddrive in this day in age

Work, a lot of WD 2.5 320 gb I had to swap with SSD to save about $200 per unit (price per unit) for a $80 (at the time) item. Huge savings, No company data so 100% allowed to keep.

Seagate is fine these days as long as you aren't buying gigantic capacity (6TB+)

LMK when 8TB SSD become price competitive.

Okay I am old enough where I've seen the same post at 3TB+. This is a problem.

I ended up replacing two 6 year old 1TB WD Blacks in my striped+mirror setup since one was giving off some uncorrectable sectors and Amazon goofed and gave me a second for free.

Resilvering went way quicker than I expected.

>>hard-drive starts grinding mere months after you bought it

gotta be a Seagate