>it installs binaries, GUI and doc without issue
>itwerks
>install doxygen on macos
>drag and drop a folder to /Applications
>contains binaries, GUI and doc
>itwerks
>install doxygen on linux
>try to install the compiled binaries
>install script fails because it tries to move a file that's not even packaged for some reason
>try to run compiled binaries from package
>requires a library that's not installed
>yum whatprovides library
>yum install whatever provides that library
>still doesn't work and returns the same error for whatever reason
>give up and try to compile from source
>have to follow step by step instructions that are all terminal commands because apparently we never invented a way to easily run several terminal commands in a row without making the user type them manually
>run cmake
>complains that it requires a higher version of cmake
>yum update cmake
>the latest version of cmake supported by my os is several patches prior to the one i need
>download cmake source
>build cmake
>that actually works without issues, thank fucking god
>add path to cmake bin to $PATH in my shell
>run cmake again
>enable building the GUI
>requires a verision of qt not installed on this machine
>now i have to build fucking qt holy shit
>disable building the GUI
>enable building the doc
>requires graphviz
>why does the fucking doc need to be built
>disable building the doc
>make
>i now have the doxygen binary and nothing else

it's basically the same shit every time i have to install the same software on all three platforms

year of the linux desktop guise

Attached: 1300575737001.png (400x486, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/jessie/yum
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

> >still doesn't work and returns the same error for whatever reason
> >give up and try to compile from source
Strace it.
Also also, I remember facing the similar problem on Debian when I tried to install an OCI8 extension on PHP. Try to symlink a required .so file that you have to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu (at least on Debian it's there).

I mean yeah, there was probably a solution. I figure it wasn't compatible with that version of the installed library or whatever. My point is that installing something on Linux is pointlessly complicated because whether you want to use compiled binaries or compile the code yourself, you practically have to simulate the exact environment in which the software was developed. If we want Linux to become a popular desktop OS, this needs to stop being commonplace.

>windows
>installs prebuilt binary
>macos
>installs prebuilt binary
>gnu/linux
>what's a package manager? I will build it myself!!! OH NO IT'S HARDER, LINUX BTFO XDDDDDD
Retard.
Sage and hide.

I needed the latest version, which my package manager didn't provide, retard.

Package managers sounded like a really cool idea back in the 80s when the amount of software and distributions was easily manageable. Now, depending on your distribution, a package manager will either provide a recent but not latest version of a software, a version that's been obsolete for years or won't provide it at all. It never provides the latest version of a software though because the people working on the distribution always have something better to do than testing it and approving it for stable, and if you're a long term support distribution, then any hope you had of ever getting recent software are shot because most of it is version-locked to preserve OS stability. It is essentially a huge bottleneck.

I feel like I shouldn't need to explain something like that to someone who claims to use Linux.

>uses a distro that doesn't provide what he wants
>lmao linux btfo XDDDDD
Quit using server distros on a fucking desktop then.

that's not what's happening. stop making presumptions.

Ok, retard.

you're running debian aren't you?

Literally install gentoo/funtoo. The current doxygen version is only one minor version behind and there's a special package just for angry fucks who need to live on the edge in the form of the 9999 version, which gets it straight from github, respecting the same USE flags.

>yum
>debian

t. someone who's never used linux in a professional environment

you can't always just jump distros and jumping distros just to install one piece of software is retarded especially if it's not actually the version that you want but the one before

like seriously you couldn't be giving me more retarded advice if you tried

stop rationalizing the design flaws in linux with patch solutions pulled out of your ass.

>hurr hurr, I use fedora linux in professional environment
>durr durr, unfortunately too retarded for linux
Can all of you imbeciles stop making threads like this and just install windows or buy a mac?
Clearly you're not sophisticated enough for OS like GNU/Linux.
Just swallow bitterness and move on with your life.
No one wants or needs you in our sekrit klub.
And I'm not ironical. Fuck off, really, you fucking retard.

Attached: OP_drip_fed.jpg (680x709, 127K)

Eat a dick, faggot. I work with this shit all day and have for past 5 years. You never gave any reason for us to believe you were a "professional" doing this at work instead of an angry hobbyist posting feels pictures on a mongolian basket-weaving enthusiast board. I gave you a perfectly viable answer, and so have several others here. If you're too dumb or unlucky enough to use redhat anything, too dumb to figure out basic software management/compilation, and not able to handle or install gentoo, which has exactly the kind of package management you're looking for, then you're right fucked and it's all your fault. If you had even half a brain you could have deduced that a gentoo known-good shell script for installing your program might be a pretty decent start at solving your problem since you'd only have to tweak it a bit to your preferences once and then be done with it, but if you want to bitch and waste time I guess that's fine too.

>packages.debian.org/jessie/yum

>thinking.pcx

>still going around the issue that installing stuff on linux is stupidly complicated and that this is why it's not catching on because itworksonmymachine.jpg

For how long will people like you remain so far up your own ass before the obvious blows up in your face?

An OS that requires to be this "sophisticated" to do shit that is done flawlessly and effortlessly on other OS'es is not worth people's time.

And the solution you gave me, which is literally to fucking redo my entire set up on a different distro and hope everything goes well, is much more contrived, risky and complicated than whatever it takes to compile the software. Yet you act like I'm supposed to take it. It's not feasible. I'm not the one in charge of deciding which distribution we use, you can't jump distros on the fly if you're using Linux as anything more than a Facebook machine, and the fact that you think changing distros is the solution to a deep seated design flaw is retarded in the first place. Do you have any critical sense whatsoever?

Why would I be using Doxygen in a personal context? Why did you presume the context wasn't professional in the first place? Maybe think twice before blurting out your phoned in solutions with the arrogant tone of a diabetic manchild NEET with narcissistic personality disorder who snaps at people because they feel guilty about their diaper fetish.

Oh sweetie... You just failed to understand my comment. By saying that sophisticated anons don't fail to use linux on their desktop. I actually meant that you're completely brainlet. You're like a child trying to put cube into circle.

Tons of people use linux everyday without an issue, but then a simple minded person like yourself, thinks that because they played video games their whole life or because using windows or mac professionally means that I know computers!
>haha! Now because I'm so smart I'll install linux!
And then, overwhelming amount of new information is too much for these simpletons. They get unreasonably angry! Instead of admitting their failure and going back where they came from it's better to share their anger with others!
>clearly, it can't be, that only me failed to do this!
>there must be reason!
>Reeeeeee!!! I need reason why my brain is too simple!!!

Please, no one gives a fuck about your opinion or problems. There are plenty of anons using GNU/Linux in the desktop without any secondary OS.
I'm replying to just because I'm a good person.
Now, fuck off, mr simpleton.

Attached: 1521554485914.jpg (540x960, 39K)

>has an issue with ONE piece of software and immediately all of linux is terrible and should never be used
>but will put up with ads, spyware, and viruses on a day to day basis and will never once complain
really gets the noggin joggin.

>apparently we never invented a way to easily run several terminal commands

You mean like a script?

i have an extremely similar experience everytime i need to install the same software on all three platforms.

yes that was the joke

using linux in a personal context (read: as a facebook machine) is extremely easy. of course a NEET wouldn't know how much of a clusterfuck of poor design, phoned in mechanics and oversights Linux becomes when you actually try to use it for professional applications.

>implying I have facebook
but user, why there are actually professionals using GNU/Linux? Why does google endorse using their customised ubuntu version? Why there are companies and triple letter agencies using GNU/Linux on the desktop?
No, no, no, no... It can't be that they doesn't struggle like you do...
Preposterous!
I guess these companies doesn't know better. Surely your struggle is not your ignorance fault.

Attached: 149545345345.jpg (500x329, 32K)

>Use snappy or flatpak to install the version you want
>It just werks

Companies using Linux usually have a server client thing where the server is complicated to set up and the client is set up with scripts. In the end, they save money by not purchasing Windows licenses, but they don't have to spend that much time on it because Linux machines have a dedicated purpose and their IT is specialized in making Linux serve that specific purpose. Of course however they use a specific distro for this, usually the distro the software they used was compiled on, and nothing else.

Still a major timesink for the average consumer.

And trust me, they do struggle. Linux clients are the most frustrating for customer support. I know first hand what professionals are dealing with. I am one, and I deal with other such professionals.

Why not run it in a docker container? :^)

Stop larping already. It's embarrassing.
There's no way someone with mentality like yours would be professional at anything.

Attached: meirl.jpg (1420x1188, 169K)

have you tried closing down the machine then switching it back on?
Have you tried this on a different machine?
Try switching it off, waiting a few seconds then switching it back on.
if that fails call someone who knows about computers, they can fix it for you

Why do you insult this mans intelligence? Do you think a professional like him wouldn't know about docker!?

Nice bait thread. Going to sleep.
If, however, this isn't a bait... Then I'm sorry for you OP. Life must be tough to you.

Attached: 1526628859054.png (355x300, 152K)

Arch GNU/Linux does not have this problem.

You do realize you've installed the equivalent of Windows Server 2000? It's your own fault that you're not sourcing an updated repository.

Why aren't you using a rolling release if you need latest versions of stuff?

He's professional Stop trying to help him, he already knows all ins and outs of linux
That's why this thread. Just trust him, when he says that linux is garbage, because he failed. :^)

>lunix