Does anyone on Jow Forums have a free-as-in-freedom Talos II or Talos II Lite? What OS have you installed on it...

Does anyone on Jow Forums have a free-as-in-freedom Talos II or Talos II Lite? What OS have you installed on it? How's the GPU support situation?

Attached: boardlarge.png (2027x1524, 2.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

aspeedtech.com/products.php?fPath=20&rId=440
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-epyc-xeon&num=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Windows

unfortunately Jow Forums is full of neets who have
>no money to buy it
>no employer to provide it
i can't find it atm but someone did a good article on it, and the ups and downs of using it (including the gpu)

i found it
tenfourfox dot blogspot dot co dot uk/2018/05/a-semi-review-of-raptor-talos-ii.html

Too expensive. You guys talk shit about the price of Mac toys but don’t think twice about paying thrice on slow and niche hardware.

You can get 2 x 18 core POWER9 CPUs and a motherboard for the same price as an 8 core iMac Pro. Looks like a great fucking deal compared to Apple shit, and will blow the piss out of it when Apple switches to ARM.

> you can get 48 weak and power hungry cores and a bare motherboard for the price of a complete more powerful and efficient solution.
> oh gee what a great fucking deal

>two
>2
>Duo
>ni
>ສອງ
>du
USB ports

Jesus fucking christ.

>POWER9
Lmfao holy shit this is Jow Forums
>better on ARM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA how? So you can be vulnerable to spectre again and have negligible performance difference? Jesus Christ.

People bitching about price forget the price of freedom
Shame on you
Can this be a asian foot thread now please

I have the Lite single socket 4 core version running Debian PowerPC. Works nicely. Haven't picked up a proper GPU for it yet. I have a 1TB mechanical disk and 16GB RAM installed. I'll probably upgrade the CPU to something beefier when I start using this thing as my main workstation.

It's a fucking enterprise motherboard

>It's a fucking enterprise motherboard
>Not enough USB ports to be able to put a mouse keyboard and a fucking usb drive at same time.

Nigga I have a fucking low end lga 1366 supermicro boards with more USB ports and it doesn't even have the good xeons in it. It's a literal scrap from my old job that was going to the bin.
My thinkcenter seedbox also has 6 USB ports.

checked
Maybe you're not the target consumer

USB hubs cost less than what I ate for dinner yesterday

>trying this hard to sound knowledgeable but actually making a complete fool of yourself
Jow Forums in a nutshell, i guess

>breaking the link

Attached: image.jpg (349x344, 56K)

>Maybe you're not the target consumer
So you're saying this board is a glorified raspberry pi for hipsters trying to not buy AMD or Intel cpus even at the cost of massive performance loss and lack of literal USB ports which are the most basic shit in the planet?

>plugging a flash drive into the back
The motherboard has a header for front panel USB ports, you dumbass.

it got flagged as spam otherwise

>can't run wine
>no one compiles software for ppc anymore
>can't use anything but freetard shit
>can't use a lot of the high end emulators
Yeah no thanks

>not having multiple desktops with different operating systems

actually this

>paying 1000nds of dollars when you could just get a raspberry pi

>Does anyone on Jow Forums have a free-as-in-freedom Talos II or Talos II Lite? What OS have you installed on it? How's the GPU support situation?

Don't hack me bro !

>paying tens of thousands of dollars for a semi when you could just get a tricycle

I love the idea of these, but I'd need the price of them to come down a bit. The computing world needs a widespread non-x86 desktop/workstation platform.

They're not looking to sell these to people who piss $35 away and set their machine in a shoebox until its thrown out. You either know why you need it, or you don't need it.

Thanks for the link!

If you're serious (and do post pics), what are your thoughts on the state of the Linux PPC software library? I'm thinking I need to unironically use Gentoo to get all the packages I would need, since I assume I could compile for PPC from source.

I'm not super concerned about who they are and aren't looking to sell to, I'm merely commenting on what I'd like versus what I can afford, and what I think the computing world at large needs. And frankly comparing this to a Raspberry Pi is presenting a bizarre false dichotomy of computing needs.

This is ppc64el. It's supported by all the major distros. Fedora and OpenSuSE still have support for ppc64. It's ppc where your options are limited to Gentoo or BSDs.

Isn't Debian an option? Last time I did anything with Linux on PPC, it was perfectly fine, though this was admittedly some years ago.

Attached: Screenshot_20180524_1457322.png (552x256, 31K)

Stretch only has ppc64el support.

He asked if you had one, not someone elses screenfetch on one.

If you seriously had 2x 18-core CPUs and 256GB of RAM, you'd also be smart enough to say something about it instead of just posting a screenfetch.
:^)

I dont i'm gay.
:(

>caring how many fucking usb ports it has
jesus christ, are you legally retarded?

>hurr i am going to judge hardware based on how many fucking USB ports it has durrrrr
you cant seriously be this fucking retarded

debian compiles lots of stuff for PPC, dumbass

yeah but they could have a lower price version. like single socket, less ram slots, less pci slots, etc.

They do. It's still more expensive than a typical x86-based PC, but they do.

Not after Jessie they don't. Only ppc64el from here on out. As a matter of fact, the only up to date (sort of) ppc distro on the Linux side is Gentoo.

are you suggesting the ppc64el would not work with the talos?

No, he's just pointing out that PowerPC's not supported anymore.

You seem to be confused.
ppc = 32-bit ppc
ppc64 = 64-bit ppc up to POWER 7
ppc64el = 64-bit little endian ppc POWER 8 and up

no, you 2 seem confused
ppc64el is still supported

ppc64el is POWER

ppc64el is not ppc. It is strictly POWER 8 and 9 ONLY

and the talos is POWER9

what the fuck is your issue?

You seem to be confused. I have no issue, I was merely backing you up when you said that only ppc64el is supported now.

>debian compiles lots of stuff for PPC, dumbass
I was correcting you. Debian Jessie was the last version which will have ppc and ppc64 support. ppc64el from here on out. Sound familiar?

holy fuck youre autistic

someone complained about the talos that no one compiles ppc stuff
i said debian compiles ppc stuff

you are fucking stupid to try to correct me in this context

>VGA

But why?

Most likely for video output

aspeedtech.com/products.php?fPath=20&rId=440

It's a server board. Target demographic is headless systems.

What is the appeal of these systems? Why would choose this over a Xeon workstation given the choice?

Attached: 12670910_1724319631160143_6518151928611306635_n.jpg (528x960, 51K)

Not entirely. Raptor CS sells server (rack mount) and "workstation" (regular desktop use, with a head) versions.

see "There are really two kinds of customers for the Talos II: people like me who dislike x86 on technical grounds and Intel's continued hegemony and wish to support alternative architectures of comparable performance, and people who are paranoid and want a system that is far less of an opaque closed system that they can audit and trust than what passes for commodity hardware these days. There is naturally some overlap between these two groups."

It's a system of comparable performance to x86-64 that isn't x86-64. There are some benefits and obvious downsides to that.

RISC4LIFE

CAN I PLAY MUH GAYMES ON THIS?

You can play Minecraft.

You really should kill yourself. There is no reason for somebody as autistic as you to be alive.

If they are foss games
Oh right minecraft uses java
Fuck then it's perfect for me.

Hey dumbfuck, TWO NICS
BUT GUESS WHAT
YOU WIN
RETARD
OF
THE
YEAR
AWARD

USB HUBS
USB 3.0 HUBS

ARE NOW AVAILABLE TO CONNECT DIRECTLY UP YOUR RECTUM TO YOUR BRAINSTEM

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?

FUCKING NO YOU GAY RETARD YOU DON'T.

>USB for your rectum
Intel's got you covered

Attached: Intel anal beads.jpg (1024x768, 130K)

Do you know when the president phones me?

I'm appalled that Intel can joke like that.

>not naming it "intel inside.jpg"

>I've never built a PC before
First of all, you can clearly see a third USB port by the PCIe slots, and there are likely even more in the form of front panel headers. That light blue connector is probably exactly that, and there might be others that I'm not seeing too. That's 5 USB ports at a minimum.

You are correct. 4 USB3 ports (2 external, 2 internal header) and 1 USB2 port (external).

Yay I'd like to see you utilize a quarter of those cores meaningfully in home usage

You're literally admitting that buying this is a complete waste of money and time because you need a second, preferably x86 computer to actually do the things you want to do. Congratulations.

I got the motherboard with two CPUs.
I have several OSes. The GPU I use depends on the OS, I have several installed.

Too bad you're not a NEET who recently had their grandparents die and give you all their money.

bump

Question: what's the advantage of RISC-V over POWER?

RISC-V is
- more modern
- more companies are part of the alliance
- more development going on

Downside is that it is far less mature.

>Talos II
Thank you
so much

Some retard at intel stole my minix os and shitely hacked it into every proccesor

If "things you want to do" mainly consists of vidya, consider

>housefire, no software and shit performance.
No, thanks!

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-epyc-xeon&num=1

>comparing 2x8core, 2x20core, 1x32core
>no indication of which benchmarks are single-threaded vs multi-threaded
>no indication of which benchmarks used hand-optimized assembly on x86, and whether they had the same for power9
Moronix strikes again

should've licenced it as GPL, doofus

t.powershill

risc-v is open-source

It was under BSD
Either way my shitware fucked computers

That is to be expected from a architecture with no optimisation.
Also
> The system we were provided remote access with is a dual eight-core Talos II system
That is the low end model.

Wow, I didn't know MINIX was the basis for ME until just now

interesting...

If only it could be repurposed into a recovery or maintenance OS or something

Kek

I think this board and it's cpus are more of a niche pass time, you know those guys who blow a ton of money on some random crappy boutique amps and custom bikes?
It's not about the performance or how many things run in it etc. It's just to tell every of your friends you got a CPU that's not from intel or AMD or is a cellphone variant from qualcom and apple.

You can clearly see from the comments on this thread itself there's a lot of people passionate about this thing who do not care about anything other than it being a power architecture cpu.

If someone wants workstation performance with everything they can throw into a machine they would go with a supermicro barebones either with xeons or epycs anyways. Talos is more about a way of life and sending a message in a hipster kind of freetard nerd way and even linus (the autismo fingol not the creator of linux and techtips) would laugh at the poor fuck who thought this was the best thing in the universe.

Attached: roa-1.jpg (540x360, 36K)

Maybe
obviously I'm not the real minix guy
I don't know man, hack away

"ppc64el = ppc64 'little endian' "
You lot are retarded. Pic related is you

Attached: 1527534123329.jpg (890x97, 13K)

>I can't do everything with it so it's a complete waste of time and money
By that logic everything's a waste because I can buy something else that does what it doesn't

Yeah, you're right. lol

Yes, and the only processors that are supported by it are POWER

>tfw I thought you were a retard
>tfw googled it and actually debian are the retards
I don't know why the debian build is allegedly for "eittle lndian" but whatever floats their boat. Ignore my previous post since you for one are actually correct.

I'n not sure what the reasoning is, but it's (e)ndian (l)ittle not little endian. ARM and MIPS are this way too.

I mean I gathered as much, but most other distros seem to call it ppc64le and doing so also seems like the logical way.

which is exactly what the Talos is, so fuck off autist

I never said Talos was PowerPC, I was saying that ppc64el doesn't support PowerPC, dipshit.