Best music playing devices?

Best music playing devices?

Attached: Sansa_clip_plus_8gb_black-57b883673df78c8763932bfe.jpg (768x511, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fiio.net/fiio
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

/thread

Your phone

Attached: 1508895491072.jpg (1080x1080, 107K)

still use mine regularly in my car.

Attached: zune brown 30gb.jpg (400x300, 17K)

I don't own a smartphone.

I have a rockbox'd Sansa clip zip, which i use for running. It's a tank, resistant to rain, and battery lasts 20hrs on a charge.

Attached: Screenshot_20180527-192818.png (1080x1920, 1.62M)

Somewhat related, what format do you rip your music to? And is the 24/192 stuff really a thing or a meme? And does anybody have one of those expensive mp3 players? I always just see sansas recommended. Which, if they’re that good, I’ll go get one tonight.

how embarrassing

Nokia n8

24 192 is a meme so dont bother
flac if i can because i have storage space
320kbps mp3 is pretty standard

Attached: rio_carbon_front_large.jpg (513x375, 76K)

Thanks!

Anybody have a Cowon or Astell and Kern?

FiiO makes good stuff

> Sansa clip
GOAT.

Put RockBox on that ho and load it up with FLACs.

Yeup my X3 is still going strong after 4 years.
The USB DAC mode is what I use it for the most though.

I needed a new high capacity player because my rockboxed/SD modded ipod's been broken for a year and I hated the dx50 I got for cheap. Every single "high end" DAP seems to have horrible issues with battery life and breaking jacks so I decided not to cheap out and grab the older ak70 model. Did I fuck up?

Attached: ak70-hero-100704228-orig.jpg (1600x1067, 198K)

Olympus LS-10 has served me well for years

does your phone not have enough space?

i love my walkman!

Attached: IMG_0198.rotated.jpg (3024x4032, 1.25M)

No SD slot thanks to my fellow gooks at Samsung, and I like carrying around 200+ GB at a time.

lol you got the s6? samsung is one of few companies that still have sd slots

Yeah I have an s6 sadly... I use my phone as little as possible either way. If it weren't for the convenience of a couple features and the better quality call speakers I'd still be using the old flip phone.

mine

Attached: 2018-05-27-233215.jpg (640x480, 61K)

I got this, managed to rockbox it a couple of hours ago.
Still need a 256gb microSD card though.

Attached: a.jpg (440x500, 123K)

iPod Video

All the FiiO products are legit af and can play pretty much every file type available like lossless audio. All loaded on a SD and requires no software to upload music files to library.
fiio.net/fiio

Will say my FiiO X1 (which is no longer sold) started to have issues after 6 months from shitty wiring (power button wiring came undone doesn't work, have to connect it to a usb to start)

Attached: orkYPzc.jpg (1280x1280, 173K)

I would like one of those to go with my ZX1C.
I'm pretty adamant that cell phones can't come close to a DAP, but fuck me the ZX1C is good. The downside of course is that your music and apps and pictures et cetera all compete for space, while a DAP lets you cram as many files on there as you can.
I picked up an ipod shuffle 4th gen for $5 from the local thrift shop and only 2 GB goes a long way. I can cram over a day's worth of 320kbps MP3s on it, more than I'd listen to in a single sitting, then I come back, plug it in, and get a new tracklist.

Horrible click wheel that feels extremely flimsy. Nothing against Fiio but they needed to step it up in the build quality department in a major way. Haven't tried anything lately so I'm hoping they've made improvements.

One on right, 19 hours of audio playback on a single AAA battery (NiCD, NiMH or alkaline).

Last generation of iPod Nano. Be warned, it only has 16GB of storage.
Every other one I looked at was insanely expensive or had a fatal flaw like a 2000 song max or useless interface.

not a dedicated music player but it works for me

Attached: IMG_20180528_004008.jpg (3328x1872, 3.41M)

looks really nice

zunehd is god tier, it's a shame it was murdered by microsoft

What is this one?

I'd say the sansa clip, or a 5th gen ipod. As long as they run rockbox.
i have both, and prefer the ipod as it's larger. Aldo modded it with an iflash quad

Attached: IMG_20180528_073733.jpg (2448x3264, 2.57M)

How'd you manage to rockbox it? How is it so far?
Benjie T6

Benjie T6. Has Rockbox support (still pretty alpha-ish since it's a recent port but works great if you don't need the bluetooth capabilities), can use up to 256gb microSD cards for all your autistic FLAC needs and it's ~$40.

>How'd you manage to rockbox it?
Just update the stock firmware to the rockboxed one and then drag the .rockbox folder to the microSD, you can get both files from the Rockbox thread.
>How is it so far?
I bought it to replace my Sansa Clip+ which i managed to lost because i'm a fucking idiot and getting a new one was out of the question because they're expensive as fuck. The T6 has been pretty great so far, feels solid to hold and it's easy to disassemble if you need to replace something like the battery. Can't say anything about the battery life yet because i got the T6 only a couple of days ago and managed to rockbox it today.

>drop this thing a couple of times on a hard floor
>still works like a charm

TRULY THE GOAT DEVICE.

Damn that screen is beautiful. I had zen stone plus. Ot had similar screen. Love them. Fuck lcd screens.

your phone

Eat a dick

why is your phone not the best music player? its readily on you most of the time

>why is your phone not the best music player?
Because there are devices specifically made to do that and they do it better.

how do they do it better?

fiio makes better DAPs

Smaller, physical controls, better battery life

I could probably find a smaller phone with physical controls that has a decent battery life that also happens to support playing music.

Yeah, I'm going to switch to a phone that's shittier as a phone so it can suck less at being a DAP

Attached: 1475599486481.png (145x103, 24K)

Do they have a high end model without software/hardware issues? All of the ones I looked at seemed to have major hangups

I use a 7th gen iPod Classic with Rockbox, works great and I get great battery life. I rip stuff like SomaFM’s AAC-HE streams with StreamRipper and slap them on my iPod so i can basically use SomaFM with no internet at the gym.

Attached: image.jpg (2016x1512, 1.7M)

You went through the trouble to rockbox your shit just to listen to 192kbps mp3s huh
I used the 7th gen w/ rockbox as well, I got the hunger to rip it open and flash mod it but as it turns out that model is ridiculously hard to take apart. The 5th gen one I used lasted a very long time.

Nah, that was just a track I’ve had for years before I got into any of this stuff, as a test for the firmware. I use mostly AAC now.

Also to add, I agree with you, it is VERY hard to open due to the metal clips that push the other way against the chassis as you open it. I got mine open. I would just plan on buying a spare rear backplate to replace the stock one once your flashmod is complete, as you will most likely end up bending the shape of it as you take it apart, which is what happened to me. I managed to get it mostly straight afterwards. Lesson learned.

I also had a 5.5G, its logic board died during a botched attempt at installing a ZIF to CF adapter. Just refused to work and it ended up burning out the ZIF port, so a friend gave me this model and I stuck with the hard disk. It’s 160GB so that’s good enough for me until I can pony up for an iFlash kit.

>the trouble

it’s a 5 second install, why would anyone willingly use a shit, software locked firmware when Rockbox exists, regardless whether or not they’re an audiophile that exclusively uses FLAC? Apple’s firmware is hot fucking garbage

This thing is nice when rockboxed, although battery's really weak.

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 4K)

Rockbox was a huge bitch to set up years ago, I don't know what was causing the issues but I tried at least 5 different builds because all of them kept locking up the player at random moments or failing to be customizable in any way. I had to use some custom build hidden away in the forums made by someone with a furry avatar before I got it to actually function

>installed Rockbox on my iPod Video
>battery went from lasting all day to lasting all hour
Yeah, the stock firmware is the garbage of the two

How is it any better than the stock firmware?

Better codec support, no need for software to sync, Doom

No you can't. Try it, I dare you.

Works on my machine my dude, sucks to be you.

okay hang tight i'll be back in a jiffy

Parametric EQ, Crossfeed, Opus support, Customization like that weeaboo background.

It’s not anymore, there’s an official installer that is easy as fuck. The 6th/7th gen iPod’s build is still marked unstable so it requires a patched installer from freemyipod, but it’s still just as easy. The only time it’s crashed on me is when I was rapidly changing audio settings while music was playing. Rockbox on my iPod Video was solid and I never had any issues whatsoever, and it took me a whopping 60 seconds to install.

Changes storage to function as a mass storage device when plugged into USB, supports more codecs, more audio features like virtual surround, finer control over the DAC, simple games if you care, tons of shit.

I have been using this shit since at least 2008. It has 512MB of memory and, as far as I know, is not sold anymore. I paid $9 for it.

The only thing I like about this is that it has a tiny speaker on the back.

Attached: 6bcced12-1cc6-4f72-95ec-898b5d778ef9.jpg (1280x959, 157K)

Xiaomi redmi 4x

Another part that was frustrating is that for each failed build I had to restore it to factory settings through Itunes which took forever and required having itunes on my computer which is depressing enough. I'm glad it's more stable now but it was such a nightmare to set up in 2011 or whenever

Yeah it’s nothing like that anymore. I believe it might be because back then it required the emCORE bootloader which was a clusterfuck. With the new bootloader it’s easy and you can just drag drop a new build’s “.rockbox” folder onto the player via USB to update. Really easy

What's the advantage of installing rockbox over the default firmware?

See

2009 reporting in

Attached: NZ 444. jpg.jpg (2950x3226, 1.58M)

Can you buy a sansa clip today?

Not retail, eBay though. Gonna be more expensive, the demand is high because of the supply, Rockbox and the sole fact it can take huge capacity SD cards.

Is their any real replacement for Sony Walkmans like this
? I love my walksman but it's battery has gone to shit

Honestly, maybe one of the new FiiO PMPs, or an iPod Video with flash storage modification is probably your best bet for battery life and a quality DAC.

No, the new cheap ones are apparently just rebadged chinkshit, and the next walkman model up is like $200.

From what I've read the fiio software is hot garbage m3 seems like a good buy but it seems like they discontinued it
Is that good enough i dont mind spending 200$ on it, I spent 100$ back in the day for this Walkman so it seems fine

Attached: april_ (306).jpg (2880x1920, 765K)

no
all those shits are overpriced as hell at the moment

it's this one Sony NW-A30/40. I've not got one yet but it has gotten glowing reviews.

How much is overpriced?

check ebay

Yeah I see $65 right now for a Clip+. I’m asking what is overpriced to you for an older player with Rockbox capability in 2018?

>I want to carry around two devices because I've fooled myself into thinking I can hear a difference in the quality

I never said anything about audio quality.

Then literally what's the problem, dad? Enjoy your multiple rectangles

Try reading instead of ignorantly jumping in, see

I've had a $200 player
It wasn't good.
Actually they all suck in some way even the fancy ones.

Attached: mood.jpg (1200x792, 526K)

No, their software is consistently horrible

Hissing aside it's OK.

They dropped physical wheels

You could just use a sd card.

I ruined my ipod trying to mod it
Everytime I look at it I'm filled with regret.

Get the A25 if you want physical controls. Also cheaper.

Anything past 80% of its MSRP
Clip is overrated, T6 is looking to be its replacement. Cheap used ipod videos work too.

>two microsd slots
neat

>Sony NW-A30/40
for that price if it's not sucking my dick, it's not worth it

This
Best player i've ever owned desu
Too bad the battery tried to explode on me and it broke the back glass panel as a result

Attached: _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (3024x2880, 612K)

When looking for an mp3 player whats an acceptable price? $50? $100? $300? A lot of the new ones and even an ipod classic all range around the $300 mark.

$60 for cheap shit
$20 for really cheap shit
$400 for good stuff

PHONE

Attached: 1509343087153.png (420x426, 205K)

A SHIT

Attached: 077.jpg (325x290, 19K)

NIGGAS DONT GOT SMARTPHONES ROUND HERE