Sup Jow Forums

sup Jow Forums

I have this beautiful HP 2645A terminal I've been trying to get communicating with a computer recently, and I've finally done it. But once I booted everything up and try to run any program like nano or irssi, it gives me pic related. What could this be?

Attached: 33764330_10212035512066313_5880803070044012544_n.jpg (1088x1803, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_2640
twitter.com/AnonBabble

here is irssi

Attached: 33899149_10212035689590751_2352465935773728768_n.jpg (1803x1088, 104K)

Poor Unicode support?

That's one of the reasons I was thinking of. If that's the case, I'm probably going to have to replace the ancient Intel 8080 with a pi or something.

Can you not modify vintage hardware you stupid fuck?
Just leave it alone

This.

I'm not going to damage or remove anything. I think I can get the pi to write to the dot matrix CRT screen but I don't know how. I'm not xbox dev kit guy

>I'm not going to damage or remove anything. I think I can get the pi to write to the dot matrix CRT screen but I don't know how. I'm not xbox dev kit guy
And yet no one is going to give a fuck when you post pictures of it for (you)s. Leave the poor thing alone you autist

Your terminal is not VT100-compatible. It's displaying ANSI sequences instead of doing the cursor movements they describe. Dunno if it can work with the right termcap stuff, or if you simply can't use it with curses programs.

how do you have it hooked up? It could be something with the serial mode it uses, if you're not reading/writing using the same UART modes you could have issues like this, one off errors reading characters could cause garbage like this. It's hard to say, you haven't provided much context

I took the PCA edge connector off of a broken terminal's keyboard, looked at the wiring diagram and tried to solder it myself with a RS232 cable it didn't come with a it's own data cable. It works for the most part

it might only work with certain hp minicomputers

like the encoding probably doesn't match, i forget what they were called. you can download certain font-sets to terminals idk if that thing supports it

This is the answer to your question OP. Your terminal does not support the extra features that nano uses to move the cursor around the screen and change the color. Use ed

shit :(

>use ed
kek
?

ed is finally (at least in this case) a good answer here

this

What is ed?

ED(1) UNIX Programmer's Manual ED(1)

NAME
ed - text editor

SYNOPSIS
ed [ - ] [ -x ] [ name ]
DESCRIPTION
Ed is the standard text editor.

ohh okay

Probably doesn't support Unicode, those old dumb terminals were usually plain ascii, OP's terminal may not be vt100 compatible too

Is there no way to make some sort of middleman that converts to ascii? What are you using to communicate with it?

You need to set your TERM correctly. What control characters are needed for a curses-like program depends on the terminal in question. These control characters are looked up in the terminfo, but you need to tell it what sort of terminal you're using so it can look up the correct terminal control characters.

It has nothing to do with unicode.

>Your terminal does not support the extra features that nano uses to move the cursor around the screen and change the color.
It very well might, but the control sequences aren't the ones he's using currently because his TERM is incorrect.

>dot matrix CRT
confirmed for not knowing jack shit

try to find a manual to see what its escape sequences are for cursor movement
look into terminfo definitions

hey I dunno if you're still around but check lib/terminfo/h for hp2645a
type
export TERM = hp 2645a
should solve your problem, just add it to .bashrc or whatever

This. Look here if you come back, OP

>2645A

In-house developers ported TinyBASIC to the HP 2645A, as well as developing several games in assembler (most notably "Keep On Drivin'", Tennis and Reversi).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_2640

What are you even doing with it if you're so completely clueless?

Hey OP. I appreciate your post, you made this board a little bit better because although it's a tech support thread it's real fucking worthy of being here

bump