/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 430665 ayase_eli cheerleader cleavage erect_nipples fuya_(tempupupu) headphones love_live! (2480x3507, 2.74M)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8mohiz/sony_mdrxb950b1_is_a_good_headphone/
anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=69320
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19436
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reminder to report and ignore spammers.

this is a cat thread

Attached: IMG_20180526_122751344.jpg (2340x4160, 2.26M)

>wanting tinnitus
I seriously hope you don't do this

Attached: Smug_18.png (825x707, 648K)

>this is a cat thread
user, I didn't even post a nekomimi headphone girl as OP

Attached: 5014AB1E-6E9B-459C-B820-F5078CD85CEF.jpg (596x439, 183K)

too bad

o-okay

Attached: try.gif (300x300, 244K)

good

Attached: IMG_20180518_015741117.jpg (2080x1170, 747K)

that's a really pretty cat

Based OP

I'm getting 1990s! You can't do anything about it stax shills!

Attached: 1506620700362.png (320x250, 207K)

someone here already owns a 1990 and has stax inbound, why not just wait and ask for his opinion?

he doesn't come here often, whenever I ask about 1990 people without actual money always assume 550=990 and shill stax.

They're not as good as STAX. I'd put them above Elears though. They measure really nice and are easy to EQ. Looking forward to seeing how it sounds off a BH crack.

If you do get the 1990, get the amazon bundle. You'd lose basically zero in resale that way, because you can resell the amp and other stuff separate from the headphone.

Attached: 1990.png (3391x1790, 245K)

real garbage hours

>I find most electrostatic headphones, especially Stax, share an ethereal quality to their presentation of music. Sounds seem to appear from nowhere, they seem to softly float in space like “ghosts singing and playing ghost instruments.” Many people attribute this sound to the driver design, utilizing a super-lightweight diaphragm vibrating extremely quickly to reproduce sounds. Some people conjecture that this is due to the low weight and thickness of the diaphragm. I am not sure why this happens, but it is something I consistently observe regarding electrostatic headphones: they tend to lack a certain weight and impact to the attack of notes that creates the ethereal quality I mentioned earlier and to me is the main reason why headphone fans are divided on electrostatic headphones. The headphones have excellent clarity and sound quite detailed, but without the texture or weight, they have a sort of soft sound to them that detracts from the experience for me. Some people may find this airiness and weightlessness less fatiguing and a more relaxing listen.

>The bass of the SR-207 is quite detailed and fast, able to convey all the individual peaks in sustained bass notes. However the headphone still lacks the fullness and body to really convey the sense of impact you can really feel with headphones based on other drive mechanisms. Overall, the bass seems linear with a slight dip in the midbass, that gives it very slightly subbassy tilt that adds to the headphone’s punchiness. The SR-207 really does well in terms of overall linearity and clarity, however it’s unable to convey the weight and texture that give headphones what I consider an additional layer of detail.

Mids on the Stax are very clean, again with very good clarity. Voices give me the impression of being detached and sort of floaty, which in my experience has been typical of the presentation of vocals and instruments for other electrostats. The SR-207 has a bump starting somewhere near 1kHz and going up through the upper mids, which makes female vocals especially stand out and can actually make them sound somewhat harsh. I found that when listening to female vocals, they tended to stand out in the mix and sounded louder than they were supposed to. Aside from the general lack of impact and texture to the music which is more of a characteristic of the driver, this harshness is probably my biggest issue strictly with the tuning of the headphone.

Treble is polite and, for the most part, I have no issues here. As with everything else, clarity remains good here, but the headphone lacks a certain kind of bite, with a treble presentation that may come off as overly smooth. This can be great especially for recordings that are especially harsh or unrefined here. The SR-207 does a great job of smoothing over harsher or grainier recordings, however it feels a bit too smooth and seems to lose out on some texture and detail in the treble as a result.

The Stax present a very large stage with very good imaging and separation of instruments. It’s very easy to use these headphones to analyze a lot of different aspects of a mix with these headphones–at least partially because of how fast the drivers are. The sense of space that these headphones can convey is very good, however, despite being able to image and stage well, the sources of sound seem to float rather than being grounded where they are positioned. From that perspective, it can be difficult to really get a hold on where things are in the space it presents, though it’s easy to tell where things are in relative position to one another.

stax = best headphones in the universe

>Conclusion

>Overall, I don’t have a lot to say about the Stax SR-2170 system. I think the SR-207 headphone is quite competent at delivering clarity, linearity, good imaging and separation. I don’t personally enjoy the mid-mid to upper-mid emphasis that makes voices a bit harsh and shouty, nor do I like the generally ethereal presentation because I feel it robs the music of some additional layers of detail. Other than those issues though, from a technical standpoint it’s a very well executed headphone with some characteristics I would call flaws but others would call strengths, which make it polarizing for headphone fans. The need to have a separate amp specifically for this headphone is also something to consider, though with the 2170 system, that has been taken care of with the SRM-252S, an amp that is small, but certainly seems capable enough not to be an issue.

Hmm... I don't think this is going to be a good fit if I like the THICC sound of my HD650. Does anyone in /hpg/ have HD650 and L300 or L500 for comparison?

you want 007 if you like veiled headphones

It's out of my budget unfortunately but reading this guy's impressions it seems that the SR-007 didn't fare too well.

>It’s hard to fully describe the SR-007A, so I have compared it with a few of the headphones I’ve owned or had time with. These comparisons are against a stock SR-007A.

>Sennheiser HD800

>The stock HD800 isn’t my favorite headphone. Its 6kHz peak and slightly recessed midrange never engaged me. The SR-007A’s bass is muddier than the HD800, but has a much more enjoyable midrange and more tolerable treble. The HD800 may have more low treble resolution, but in the upper ranges and treble, the SR-007A beats the HD800. The HD800 however wins out in bass quality, imaging, and soundstage. The battle is closer with an HD800 modded with a resonator, carpet liner, and cork. These mods tame the treble and increase midrange. But the SR-007A still wins in midrange and treble. What’s strange though is that while the SR-007A may seem superior, its presentation pales in comparison to the HD800; in the end, I chose the HD800 over the SR-007A because the HD800 sounded more like music to me than the SR-007A.

The more I research it seems that either Focal Clear, modified HD800 or used HE-6 would fit my needs better.

>Focal Clear
if you consider those, stax are better at everything those do with same signature.
hd800 owners are a little weird, more weird than stax owners, I wouldn't take them seriously.
>used HE-6
research them more, they are nothing like clears

as I see market now the only detailed neutral headphones worth the time are hd600/650, dt1990pro, sundara and L300LE/700 depending on your price range
everything conventional planar/dynamic above $1k is for people that want something weird and tried all headphones below that price range

Can anyone help me decide b/w Tascam TH-02, Sennheiser HD 202 II and ATH-AX1IS

>However the headphone still lacks the fullness and body to really convey the sense of impact
impact is loudness. the dude is a moron who doesn't know how to EQ. he also doesn't realize that there is no such thing as speed. stax aren't fast. weight of your driver affects sensitivity which affects loudness.

>that there is no such thing as speed
eh? pretty sure speed is related to how fast sound disappears, no lingering etc., and there is such thing
shouldn't stax be the fastest thing around on that aspect?

morons asking morons to explain other morons

>blah blah blah blahblah
see, I can do that to
instead of being retarded sperg try sharing your knowledge for once

speed = velocity = loudness. cone or diaphragm moves quicker = louder pressure wave generated

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
>school idol
Good OP.
HD600 cat best cat.

Attached: 1522189235259.png (860x600, 686K)

What is the sexiest headphone?

t. moron

mdr-z1r

All the stax shilling reminds me that at one point I was able to afford a used stax setup.
It was really beat up though so I passed on it.

Attached: not even the worst about it.jpg (918x1236, 182K)

How much was it user?

Don't remember, it was $400-500 or so IIRC.

did you buy an hd6x0 + amp instead?

Auteur

Attached: 1496376562893.jpg (1280x720, 66K)

>The more I research it seems that either Focal Clear, modified HD800 or used HE-6 would fit my needs better.
dude at that price why arent you just demoing them, thats not the kind of thing you can research

>InnerFidelity has numerous ultra expensive headphones measured, from LCD-4 to 009 and even Utopia
>still no more Ultrasone Edition headphones like ED5 unlimited, ED8EX and ED15, which I am interested in, since the ED10 meme outbreak
I wonder why.

Eli the best LovuLaifu.

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8mohiz/sony_mdrxb950b1_is_a_good_headphone/

Umi a best. Eli's my 2nd.
>still no more Ultrasone Edition headphones
Tyll tested one of those. He looked as if he was suffering quite a bit through listening to them. The vid of that is a legend.

Attached: 1521278929003.jpg (640x706, 98K)

>Tyll tested one of those
>vid of that is a legend
user, that's what I refer to as the "ED10 meme outbreak" because it's that video of testing the ED10 makes everybody and their mothers think loving any Ultrasone headphones is a cardinal sin.
As ED8EX and ED15 are on sale and obviously Tyll is gone for good, I think InnerFidelity should take a revisit on Ultrasone headphones by making a review on both two new Edition headphones. Especially when it is heard that ED15's sound character is so different that the designers' take on headphones is drastically changed.

best way to convert flac into opus/ogg on windows in batch?

Attached: 1499594426910.png (620x690, 632K)

flac AND tta

Bash for windows, find -exec.
Btw, who's this adoracute girl?

I bought a used pair of Sony MDR-V6s last week to replace my MDR-V150s. Are they supposed to sound so tinny? I mean there's practically no bass.

>Bash for windows, find -exec.

Are you retarded or something? Bash is not for Windows, it's for Linux and BSD.

It's not even bash, but a whole Linux ABI emulation subsystem Windows ships these days. The naming is retarded. I didn't name it.
Also, Bash isn't for Linux or BSD, but for GNU ;-)

Attached: 1527468405385.jpg (640x410, 75K)

God I want to motorboat those anime tiddies.

You are autistic as fuck, and no one is going to read a 5000000 word documentation on how to use Bash to convert song format.

Nevermind, I figured it out. anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=69320
Yes, if they're anything like mdr-7506 (and IIRC FR is similar enough), they are tinny sounding.
Neither mdr-v6 nor mdr-7506 are good value these days.
>You are autistic as fuck,
This was established several threads ago, when I got the highest score in the thread @ online autism test.
>no one is going to read a 5000000 word documentation on how to use Bash to convert song format.
I gave away what you need to do. Use Find -exec to do the batching. There isn't much to add to that. It's not my fault if you're computer illiterate.

Attached: 1502809436273.gif (346x360, 873K)

>Yes, if they're anything like mdr-7506 (and IIRC FR is similar enough), they are tinny sounding.
>Neither mdr-v6 nor mdr-7506 are good value these days.
OK, thanks. Can you recommend anything similar (I'm thinking high quality, but old) I could get used for around $60USD? I bought another pair of MDR-V150s and I found them uncomfortable and the audio lackluster compared to my old pair.

you're retarded and i'm glad a subhuman autist such as yourself will never be employed or educated

AHHHHHH MY IEMS ARE RAPING ME
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS AT 8KHZ

Attached: DONGS.jpg (584x326, 76K)

>uses foam tips for IEMs
Oi mate, where all the highs went??

OI YOU GOT A LOICENSE FOR THOSE HOIGHS MATE?

Stax

Attached: 20180526_221419.jpg (1997x2449, 3.07M)

I wish I had a gf like that...

Yet I'm university graduated and employed as an aws cloud architect.

Literally me.

Attached: f1d8310028fddc267895ed84762b58b3.jpg (1296x1812, 249K)

simply delightful

too bad she would either be:
- insanely far out of your league
- a massive slut who had hundreds of dicks in her already
- a huge bitch

Absolutely wrong.
Just keep the V6 and you don't have to change your headphones for decades.

Attached: Roger-Waters.jpg (1772x2700, 485K)

>Absolutely wrong.
mdr-v6 a shit.

I'm gonna buy Stax 009S. But what amp and DAC? I still don't know for sure.

>Stax 009S
The worst one. Nice

woah, that's one good photo

Return the V6 and get a Takstar Pro 82

Cuck
Based

I'd pay to watch her get blacked.

Cringe. Incels need to get shoot.

everything I said was accurate and I'm no virgin, a girl like that is either out of the league of everybody in this general or has a major flaw

anime losers need to help incels get 2d gfs

Even in fantasy they choose to be pathetic. Sad.

3rd worlders like yourself need to "get shoot".

We get it mommy did't hug you. Go away.

Your mommy hugged me plenty, gayboi.

this thread is always so bad until the americans start posting

>get called out for using the same reaction images which reveals post history
>deny it
>change images to new ones the next day
>confirm that you're in the uk

This is probably the best advice so far in this thread. People shilling stats blindly probably don't realise that a Lambda has a specific sound signature that may not suit everyone's taste.

Can someone who has AES membership share this new paper with us?

A Statistical Model that Predicts Listeners' Preference Ratings of Around-Ear and On-Ear Headphones

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19436

Attached: 19436[1].png (200x289, 50K)

Everyone I've let try my lambdas say they're fucking amazing, relative to my other stuff (LCD2, HD600, etc). The people shitting on lambdas are usually audiophiles stuck very very far up their own asses.

yea while some people like electrostats and consider them the absolute best headphones possible, there's enough people who find them frustrating to listen to and won't enjoy them at all-- especially for the price. you simply can't research those decisions, you need to try them.

I agree that most people will love lambdas, especially the very refined ones like the L700 or L300 LE, but I can definitely believe there are people who don't like the specific sound style of electrostatics and it's just a big investment that can be hard to sell because of how niche the market is. I mean you can eventually resell them, it just takes a lot more time.

You are obsessed. I have lots of pictures. I choose them because I like them. Not to divisive anyone. Calm down.

Attached: Capture.jpg (358x476, 32K)

Not really, shit seems to move pretty quickly on eBay and the head fi classifieds. Not that I'm arguing against demoing, that is helpful for any purchase, not just STAX.

Now that the dust has settled. Did I do good?

Attached: 1527143594499.png (560x625, 216K)

TH900

Attached: 20180509_124959.jpg (3264x2448, 2.22M)

when will this shit meme die

When these /v/ memers finally stop being underage. So like 5 years from now. Have fun!

After having T50 MK 2 and the modded mr speakers T50's aka aeons I'm never going near a pair of those garbage cans again.

Attached: B5B2A1E8-B31B-4A6F-9206-CF7A25498C1A.jpg (2942x3334, 1.81M)

Thats okay.
Not a meme. These are headphones and not a headset.

>Budget
$200
>Location
Yurop
>Source
smartphone
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Comfort level
should be tolerable for at least 1 hr
>Sound signature
bassy or vshaped
>Past headphones
marshall major II, dt235

>This was established several threads ago, when I got the highest score in the thread @ online autism test.
this was close to the start of the year what time scale are you on IT to think that was only several threads ago?

The XB950N1 from sony is basically exactly that. My main headphones are the LCD-2 and HD600 but even I was impressed with what you can get from those sony's for so little money.
They're bt and have a mic too.

The 009S from stax is basically exactly that. My main headphones are the L700 AND L300 LE but even I was impressed with what you can get from those stax's for so much money.
They're es and very fragile too.

>I can definitely believe there are people who don't like the specific sound style of electrostatics
I don't believe there is anyone who dislikes the sound of electrostats. If you look at negative reviews it's usually that people wanted something "with more impact, more dynamicism". What they want is more of a bass hump and subbass so they go with focals because they can't EQ bass. They also get deceived by the new ported lambdas with rolloff. The funny part is focals are near their excursion limit so they are shit for bass.

are there any decent iem for classical music sub 50? etymotics and similar products are above my budget!