Stop calling the GNU operating system "Linux"

Stop calling the GNU operating system "Linux".

Attached: 1527509729249.png (1029x798, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
gnu.org/pronunciation/pronunciation.html
translate.google.com/#sv/en/gnu
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/En-gnu.ogg
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/faq
youtube.com/watch?v=bQVdUoBeOqE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gno

>Debian GNU/Linux

>run linux on windows
this is just sad

Stallman approved thread

No, they don't.
The "Linux subsystem" is a compatibility layer, like wine or rather coLinux. It has no Linux and contains no code from kernel.org.

>Run Linux on windows
>*install*
>literally just runs GNU Userland, doesn't change backdoored nt kernel to linux or anything
This just shows how incompetent and illiterate microcuck is

Attached: OOOHHH YEAHHH MHHH FUCCKKKKK AHHHH.gif (540x303, 1.59M)

No. I'll keep calling it Linux because that's good enough for people to understand what I want to say. Fuck your GNU.

Eat shit, millions of flies can't be wrong

Technically, it's right to call it Linux on Windows because they emulate Linux kernel syscalls, which allows them to run Linux binaries natively. Some of those binaries are GNU, but that means little, since the system is still emulating Linux.

>millions of flies can't be wrong
The fuck?

a cute expression but we are not flies
its an idiom that suggests you are appealing to popularity as a justification

If Stallman is so butthurt about people calling GNU/Linux "Linux" then he should get off of his fat ass and work on GNU Hurd until it's a viable non-Linux kernel for GNU, until then he can suck Linus's dick for all I care

As a justification of why I choose a certain word to better get my message across to other people, so, yes, popularity does matter here.

>a cute expression but we are not flies
BZZZ BZZ, Z bz z bzz bzz Z'b bzzzz bz bz

This.
The entire thing is him being butthurt he's not getting the attention he thinks he deserves, because it's not drilled into everyone's head that HE made the OS and came up with the idea, and it's causing him massive anal pain that not everyone worships him except for some autistic neckbeards.

Nobody gives a fuck about proper naming of things. And nobody will just because you wish it. Go suck a cock or do something else thats productive and can earn you a buck or two

What's the point of this

Attached: 1.png (1600x900, 409K)

I used to do this with cygwin back when i was dualbooting windows, just for the heck of using my favourite DE

Hassle-free running linux binaries without having to install Linux VM. Linux processes get direct access to host's filesystem. Convenience for devs.

It's not all perfect, though, anything that uses specific kernel stuff, like Tensorflow, is not available.

>linux distributions
>without the linux part
bwahahahaha

RMS doesn't really care about who made the OS, he cares about users freedom and GNU is the system he made so people can have freedom. Taking his life work, giving it a different name and removing any thoughts about freedom is what RMS bothers, so what does he do? He demands at least equal mention (unlike the Linux folks), yet you people scream "HE IS BUTTHURT AND WANTS TO STEAL LINUS CREDIT" while it's actually the Linux folks stealing credit, enjoying the ride on the freedoms RMS gave them and spitting in his face while advocating proprietary spyware applications and shitting on the GPL.

lets take linux, put it into a different os, call it something else and make it more popular

>Hold my beer,

Attached: 1527518456490.png (2000x1863, 80K)

>cute girl turns to you and asks "what kind of OS is that user?"
>"GUH-NEWW--"
>actually saying the word out loud feels like trying to swallow a bag of marbles
>coughing fit all in cute girl's face

Attached: 1519323438664.jpg (500x404, 64K)

How do I do this?

WSL is awesome - a godsend for devs who like having an actual performance-oriented desktop environment without having to resort to VMs and such.
Also, faggots who are willingly trying to make macOS look-alike out of Win10 (or out of anything, honestly) deserve no (You)s.

Link me some tutorials?

he still doesn't deserve ANY credit for the OS. if I can run Linux without any GNU parts, he made no fundamental contribution to it.

tldr: make HURD usable or stfu

where the fuck are you from

also
>3dpd roastie
>cute
lmoa

>no RMS copypasta

You're slipping, Jow Forums.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation. Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ. One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you? (An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Attached: 1514957398183.jpg (770x578, 31K)

The subsystem isn't for Linux its for Windows,
why isn't it called "Linux Subsystem for Windows"?

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it. You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument. Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD? If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Attached: 1519047817580.jpg (970x589, 31K)

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag. Thanks for listening.

Attached: 1500482672792.jpg (640x424, 29K)

Gnutards are fucking subhuman. Fuck off and die already.

All those pasta questions have been answered here: gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

Attached: 1518277180020.jpg (463x600, 42K)

>page is ten fucking miles long
>being this butthurt over MUH CREDIT

Attached: 1519974576458.jpg (200x250, 7K)

>what the fuck is 'gnoo'?

Fuck off you fat autistic fuck. Go eat dead skin off your feet, you cretin.

> >Hold my beer,
Kek

>"GUH-NUUUUUU"

Attached: 1521640828616.jpg (640x480, 31K)

> The name “GNU” is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not Unix!”; it is pronounced as one syllable with a hard g, like “grew” but with the letter “n” instead of “r”.
gnu.org/pronunciation/pronunciation.html

That makes no fucking sense, the human mouth does not work such a way so as to transition from a hard 'g' to an 'n' in a single syllable. It's either "new" with the G being silent, or "guhnoo". None of which make the name any less retarded.

>2 second clip of Stallman saying "guh-noo"
>Copyright (C) 2001 Richard M. Stallman
>These recordings are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License
>Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
>NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.

You mean I can't incorporate this into a sick EDM beat?

>His language doesn't teach him how to do it.
translate.google.com/#sv/en/gnu

No.

That's still not a single syllable, ya meatball.

Attached: -.png (500x324, 46K)

It never promised to do that

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/En-gnu.ogg

>i am mentally retarded
holy shit mate i hope English isn't your first language

What are you gnu do about it?

Install Jesus in Satan's asshole
Same thing

Attached: This one is going in my cringe folder.jpg (800x800, 100K)

>nobody pointed out these digits

Are you just autistically posting that everywhere?

>Run Linux on Windows
>your actually not running any linux and are running GNU
If this isn't just one of the best arguments in favor of stallmans views

Attached: (PNG Image, 210 × 240 pixels).png (210x240, 5K)

yes

top kek

Yeah
Fucking nutjob has a point

Because nobody cares faggot

Summer

It's been summer since 2007 faggot

>Stop calling the GNU operating system "Linux".
is this all you can think of as bait hahahahahaha
0/10
Seriously fuck off back to retard central >>

Oy
As a /b/tard I take offense to that
Even we don't want this trash

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/faq

It's Linux essentially - look up the distro in question. Just remember that the services you launch on WSL also accessible from Windows itself. So, if you've started, say, MySQL server on localhost in WSL, MySQL client for Windows will reach this very server by connecting to localhost.

You sir, are a complete idiot!

user he got quads, while you didn't even dub and His word is truth, unless someone quints him out of his throne.
if anything, he's the most intelligent individual on this thread

respect the gets you stupid fuck

it is separate from gnu, get over yourself.
the (handful of) gnu programs do not qualify as part of the operating system, but are part of the end user experience like vlc or chdir in windows.

Linux is a kernel. The WSL does not contain Linux.

Stop putting your cancerous 3 irrelevant letters in front of everything relevant.

Linux is Linux.

It's just GNOME.

>Linux is Linux
That's right, and the combination of GNU and Linux is GNU/Linux.

>t. tech illiterate

Nah.

Stop calling a handful of gnu utilities a operating system.

See

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-29-11-25-16.png (720x1042, 135K)

>just a couple of common programs
>m-muh OS
no

It doesn't state anywhere that it contains Linux kernel. It emulates Linux kernel, allowing you to run Linux binaries (that is, binaries designed to be run on Linux kernel).

I refer to it either by its proper name (Debian, Redhat, etc) or as Linux. I believe this to be correct, and people I communicate with understand what I want to say when I say the word Linux.

They don't understand it, that's the point. Educate them.

We actually understand each other pretty well.

Who created Linux?

Linux Torvalds

See, following your terminology that Linux is the full OS, your answer is wrong, since Linus only made the kernel used in Linux.

Attached: 1527302048584.png (680x693, 933K)

I'm not the guy you're arguing with. I'd just like to point out that Linux is both a kernel Linus created and a colloquialism for operating systems using the aforementioned kernel.

Who created GNU?

The GNU project.

>The GNU Project /ɡnuː/ (About this sound listen)[3] is a free-software, mass-collaboration project
>GNU created GNU
I will answer your question about who created Linux when you answer mine without fooling around.

>emulates
doesn’t it works the same way as WINE? That’s not emulation.

Just because it has "not an emulator" in the name doesn't mean it's not. It does not emulate hardware. But it does emulate software syscalls. I think the word emulates is very fitting here. Do you think it's not? What word would you use?

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=bQVdUoBeOqE

like this?

Linux is a kernel and GNU is a collection of utilities. There's no Linux / GNU / GNU/Linux operating system.

Debian is a Linux operating system.

>BSD...
>oh, I didn't know you were into that kinky stuff user...
>quietly backs away

Didn't know that Debian GNU/kFreeBSD uses Linux.

Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is not a Linux OS.
Debian is.

lq bait

Attached: 1527408245982.jpg (758x663, 268K)