Most people's definition of freedom:

Most people's definition of freedom:
>if I can drive my car wherever I want, then I'm free
This autist's definition of freedom:
>iF yOu CaN't DiSaSsEmBlE yOuR cAr'S eNgInE, lOoK iNsIdE aNd MoDiFy It, ThEn YoU'rE nOt TrUlY fReE
Who listens unironically to this clown again?

Attached: retard.jpg (321x445, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/026p6fWSw7M?t=108
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>iF yOu CaN't DiSaSsEmBlE yOuR cAr'S eNgInE, lOoK iNsIdE aNd MoDiFy It, ThEn YoU'rE nOt TrUlY fReE

but you can do that

summer Jow Forums is so disgusting

THIS>>>>

Not in any modern car.

Maybe you cun't.

I invite you to go ahead and try and tell me what your car's computer does after you've meddled inside the engine.

why shouldn't you be able to modify something you own? that IS freedom retard

Because that's a bad idea and you'll end up with an undrivable car. And that's the end result with open sores: users end up with useless software because there's a lot of non-engineers touching the engine with their smelly Doritos fingers. Enjoy recompiling your kernel and fixing your xorg.conf twice a day, you fucking downie.

You can't do it with Linux either because systemd

>Can't take it anywhere to get it repaired besides the original manufacturer who price gouges you and still has worse service than an independent repair shop
This is unironically a huge problem with a lot of modern cars and it is a classic example of the typical anti-competitive business practices that erode markets and freedom

If I can't it's because the computer runs proprietary software.

I am an engineer, though. Are you saying only engineers should be allowed to study and modify their cars?

Do you realize how retarded you are coming across as? If you're American, probably not.

Face it, GNU/Linux, LibreOffice, GIMP, and all open sores software in general is unusable because it's made by a bunch of amateurs. Linux was created by a college student for crying out loud!

>Enjoy recompiling your kernel and fixing your xorg.conf twice a day, you fucking downie.

Never had to do any of that. One of the design philosophies behind free software is to do one thing and do it right. Just as you wouldn't iterate on Einstein's Field Equations once they were discovered, you don't need to keep adding to software that does its job and does it right.

works for me

Car modding has been a thing since the invention of cars. People who do it aren't stupid, they know they have to make their shit road legal.
>non-engineers looking at code is bad
Actually you're right, we should extend the ideas of proprietary software, in order to even look at ANY code, even open source code, a person should need to pay $50k to IBM and microsoft for a software engineering license, or be thrown in jail

The only thing I'm facing is a poor troll that knows he's a troll and is likely posting from loonix

You dont stay an amature for 30 years, you learn and improve. Thats the point. Was bill gates a professional when he wrote his first line of code? idk bc i wasnt there.

Are you saying it’s illegal to be an independent mechanic or use the tools present in a mechanics shop to service your car? What about aftermarket parts?

Even car modders don't meddle inside the engine, you genius.
Windows can be modded too btw, so I don't see what's the big appeal with "free" software...

>t. rides the short bus

not really. you cant drive that thing if you dont get fuel from someone else.

>dont meddle inside the engine.
Superchargers? Turbo? Tuning? Engine Rebuilds?
Changing Oil? Thats still meddling with the engine

>Changing Oil?
A 4-year degree + 2 years experience is required to dust out your own computer.

what about
>you don't need permission of manufacturer/vendor to repair or modify the car you bought
?

Am I retarded? what are you saying

>t. WinSlave
>t. raped by M$

maybe but they can make it from proprietary parts and not give you the tools needed to do that

>If I can't it's because the computer runs proprietary software.
All car computers do because they have to actually work.

Until they dont

Sure, that's why I drive an 80s opel

youtu.be/026p6fWSw7M?t=108

Engine control unit not working.

Modern ECU's have microprocessors in them that run embedded programs.

What happens when they dont work?
Not like you can just fix the program on your own.

>current state of Jow Forums
Remember to sage, report and hide.

You can. The only difference is, conventional cars all had a very similar mechanical buildup, so if you knew your shit for one car, dealing with the rest wasn't so difficult. Today's cars are all these completely fucked up electronically controlled contraptions with each brand doing their shit differently, everything being hidden behind plastic covers, everything being overengineered. Got a problem? Get a multimeter and good luck finding what godforsaken hidden part or cable is causing it. That is, unless it's the fucking ECU in which case you're down a few grand for getting a new one unless you know how to solder and unfuck the board.
So really, you have all the fucking freedom, modern cars are just an autistic mess to work with. Sorta how it is with linux.

Attached: 1517946697743.jpg (720x718, 71K)

>Who listens unironically to this clown again?
Nobody, he's a Jow Forums meme

I think he's comparing changing oil to dusting your computer, saying it's completely ridiculous to need a degree to dust out your computer or change your oil.

No one here is suggesting that though. That was just an appeal to extremes fallacy by a faggot who lost an argument.

>Analogies
Always leads to facilities.

>No one here is suggesting that though.
see >because there's a lot of non-engineers touching the engine

Damn right you can
There is a scene like that in the upcoming movie i'm shooting for Terry as part of my cinematography class
He drives south, then stops and starts disassembling his car to look for CIA devices

Attached: fk0h7zj8riaz.png (580x862, 783K)

The two are equivalent for cars though

And if you had an Apple Car where you legally would not be allowed to open the engine and service it (or otherwise modify it), imagine the hell: only first-party servicing (third-party is literally against the law) so they have no incentive to keep price down, then can literally stick anything they want in there and nobody will know, they can control everything about your car and you can't do anything.

The fact that I personally can't service a modern car has no bearing on it being free, just like I probably couldn't personally bugfix my (Linux) kernel. I, as a person, have the right to (and there are publicly available tools to do so), and there are third parties out there that specialize in this and exercise this right and I can make use of them.

systemd is free software

Stop bending other's words to save face, you piece of shit.

Clown?
Sadly everything he says is true
I deeply respect the man

That's literally a tunner

Literally everything he says is false.

Attached: db39fe16-a66d-4969-864b-af2a7ac4b02b.jpg (960x882, 59K)

Goes to show how great free software is.

ugh, summer fags.
comparing software and car is a horrible example. to modify a car's engine you can open the fucking thing and modify it. with proprietary software you can't do that, since there's a function preventing you from doing this.

please do us all a favor and fuck right back off to your discord gaming servers.

Only pedos care about his "freedom".

God I hope thats not true

You better post it here faggot.

SUMMER FAG!!
((((((((((((SUMMER FAG HERE))))))))))))))))))))))
LEAVE BOARD, LEAVE BOARD, NOW

please post user

buddy relax
I'm running gentoo on Jow Forums certified toaster

I love you

>buddy
even more convinced now, get the fuck back

Why do you type like a retard?

>Most people's definition of freedom:
>>if I can drive my car wherever I want, then I'm free
also most people are shortsighted

>Who LISTENS UNIRONICALLY to this clown again?
Retard.

Jesus
The autism is strong in this one

>don't touch what you own or you might break it
maybe don't touch it if you don't know what you're doing, you retarded faggot.

is this what 4chin's """""technology""""" board has come to?

Tesla has made it clear that they reserve the right to pursue legal action if you modify the engine or battery in your tesla. They haven't actually made use of that option yet though - making them hard to repair on their own has been a good enough deterrent.

He's not wrong. I'd not call myself a car owner if I am not allowed to look inside every bits of my car and fix/tweak it myself.

lolwut? Every car I've ever owned I learned how to disassemble the engine and put it back together. Latest is a 2011 BMW 760Li Sedan. Biggest learning curve so far, but easy enough with the right garage.

> Everyone should use free software!
> Except when it inconveniences me!
Why can't stallman just take a rowboat and travel across the world?
Lazy fat faggot has no issues breaking his own morals when its convenient for him, like taking a plane running proprietary software

Attached: 1526882565454.jpg (528x384, 22K)

You clearly don't know Stallman's level of autism

Have you heard the entire problem of vehicles being closed source and proprietary? Best example I know of is with John Deere and farmers basically having to hack their tractors to be able to do basic repair work on it.
Right to repair is a basic freedom.

Open source is the way to go

OBD2 scanners are the shit though, and so is ECU fuel injection
Just get something after '96 and before whatever arbitrary cutoff you want. You have wrenched and old car and know what to look for as far as simplicity, right?

this is a bad comment sorry lad but you straight said some dumb shit

fuck i meant for this to be

Defend this.

Attached: Capture.png (1205x730, 98K)

Tesla the Microshill of the automotive world

>be Ukrainian
>go to Chernobyl for sightseeing and looting
>see some strange animal in the distance
>run away from the exclusion zone
>several years later
>go to america to install cracked firmware to a tractor
> fuck farmers fat daughter
> USA citizenship here i come
> get shot by her inbred mutant brother for ruining their marge
> you can leave the zone but the zone still finds you

If disassembling the engine for independent repairs voided the warranty because you didn't go to an authorized* mechanic, would you still be free?