/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: pepe-and-pipi.jpg (1500x1000, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts#Chinese.2C_Japanese.2C_Korean.2C_Vietnamese
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Full_Disk_Encryption_From_Scratch_Simplified
git.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=0c99eabd50752310f42ec808c8734a338122ec86
git.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=64e3a462c61ec620e1a2d86825aae30efd32d6b4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for they cute

help with thinkpad volume/mic buttons please? I was customizing kde and when i tried the volume buttons they werent working. Acpi detects them but im not sure how to rebind them or why they got unbinded

shit... nevermind rebooted did it.

on another note is iridium botnet?

>chromium-based
I think

What is the best shell and why?

Attached: 1527525802849.jpg (1024x768, 248K)

bash

Is there any file manager that supports instant search like Nautilus(GNOME files) within the program. I have a lot of images with basic tags (in the filename) and want to be able to filter it quickly. Nautilus works fine but has other issues I don't like.

GNU bash

man find

/dev/null yourself

Attached: 1495312724343.png (1622x970, 359K)

>knew that OP's pic was taken from Jow Forums
r/banter spotted, go back there

Attached: 1527525802792.jpg (399x385, 29K)

how to fix japanese text?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-05-28_19-53-24.png (1366x768, 389K)

install moonrune font such as sazanami font

Install windows

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fonts#Chinese.2C_Japanese.2C_Korean.2C_Vietnamese

i use the adobe ones

ok that was simple, thank you
interesting, I'm bookmarking that page

this might be too stupid for even this thread

I'm setting up some vim configs for editing latex, and running into some trouble due to the AutoPairs plugin. I get this error when opening files. My vimrc just has a few noremap/inoremap's, and they all work even though I get this message. I think the error has something to do with overwriting keybindings, but I can't find any relevant keybinds in AutoPairs (for remapping F3 gives me a problem). If I am overwriting, then I really don't give a shit about AutoPair's keybindings anyway. Is there any way to suppress these messages completely? Thanks friends

Attached: scrot.png (578x114, 41K)

can you give me a name for a programm that writes a distro iso on an usb stick? I forgot which one I used last time

rufus on windows
dd on anything else

Bad post.

windows: rufus, win32diskimager
real operating systems: /bin/dd

sudo cat /path/to/distro.iso > /dev/sdX

I pulled an sd card too early while formating now my computer doesn't see it. What do?

lsblk

>sudo cat

Attached: always an option.jpg (457x459, 122K)

format it again?

my bad
cat /path/to/distro.iso | sudo tee /dev/sdX

[shellcheck] Useless cat. Consider 'cmd < file | ..' or 'cmd file | ..' instead. [SC2002]

sudo tee /dev/sdX < /path/to/distro.iso
can you kill me now

That'll fuck up your shell.

sudo tee /dev/sdX > /dev/null < /path/to/distro.iso
done

if you cant see it with sudo fdisk -l you're fucked as far as I know

>install new opensuse leap
>pick encrypt disk while installing
>grub now also asks for the password
>have to enter the same password twice
wasnt an issue with leap 42.3, what an awesome release. I'm so close to quitting OpenSUSE especially since it fucked up my encrypted disk yesterday.

Using AMD 98e4 and Ubuntu 18.04, why might quiet splash fail for me but nomodeset work?

I need a cheap wifi adapter compatible with linux (arch) for my laptop. My shitty realtek rtl8723be is disconnecting and has low signal.

Atheros chip based ones are linux-libre friendly.
Ralink adapters work with freedist firmware and libre drivers.

tl;dr go Atheros

I found some adapters with atheros chipset but the newer versions have realtek. Anyway thanks, i will keep searching.

so i have a college project to do, we need to make an webchat in python using flask, already triend to look up some stuff, but i'm dumb as a brick, got any easy to follow guides?

Also, what would cause it to boot fine but display only a black screen from a suspended state?

i want to run this program... how do I compile it and run it?

im running off a live usb so when i try apt or apt-get it doesn't work...

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-28 21-04-58.png (2560x1440, 557K)

linux is always letting me down sm.h

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-28 21-10-18.png (2560x1440, 482K)

I have a pc with the rt-3290 video and BT card. I see it has issues with Linux, and that it is pretty common. Which distro will it work in?
Also, which distro should I run on a usb?

Check the mint instalation procedure, they use one that is simple and decent looking. I

>Which distro will it work in?
Doesn't matter. All distros have access to the same kernels and binary drivers.

So then I assume I should just download an older kernel and version and just go up from there until it works? What i read is that newer kernels break the driver and it only works for either wifi or bluetooth or neither, based on various user reports. I'll try and see what happens then

whats the best audio player on linux?

Is there a better guide than this for encryption in Gentoo?
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Full_Disk_Encryption_From_Scratch_Simplified
This one doesn't seem to include a swap partition for some reason? I have 6GB of ram, do I even really need one? I have no fucking clue what I'm doing with all this LUKS crap, I've always just used simple schemes... pls halp

Attached: 1523664370995.jpg (1116x1116, 180K)

>This one doesn't seem to include a swap partition for some reason? I have 6GB of ram, do I even really need one?
Just create a swapfile on an already encrypted partition. A few GB just to be sure.

1.5 to 2 times the ram if you want to use hibernation

How does me dualboot Arch with Windows 10? I have already installed Win10 to my SSD. I want to install Arch onto the same SSD. I checked msinfo32 and my BIOS mode is set to Legacy. When I type fdisk -l in the Arch installation it lists my SSD as GPT.

I mean, it runs pretty much 24/7 and I never really use more than 3 or 4 gigs at most..

Buy a new HDD and install Arch on that.

Attached: 1481814223441.png (372x300, 31K)

sudo apt-get install or pacman -S?

emerge -a

I have many issues installing a desktop environment to my fresh install of Arch. What do? I installed it all correctly.

>gentoo

Is this because my BIOS mode and SSD are in conflict? I have a spare HDD to install arch on but I wanted to have both OS on the same drive.

>ubuntu
Of course it's failing you. The NSA is using it's Ubuntu backdoor to subliminally tell you to reinstall Windows 10 by fucking up your shit.

The only disks ubuntu is letting me access are efi, Filesystem root and the rest of the disk that ubuntu was installed too, how can i get access to other HDD's and usb's?
I can see them in gparted but I cannot select the option for mounting the hdd. The issue occasionally goes away if I restart my computer.

Give it to me straight, XFCE, Gnome or KDE on Debian?

lxde

xfce or MATE

hell no, it bills itself as lightweight and user friendly, but it's neither of those things. honestly how can anyone say it's user friendly with a straight face about something you have to google a code to enter to change the clock from 24hr to 12hr

Mind making a case for them over the other two?

No thanks

I say gnome-shell. it's gnome without all the crap preinstalled that breaks gnome if you uninstall them

>Mind making a case for them over the other two?
Subjective, whichever looks better for you. Literally.
MATE if you prefer the old GNOME2 look. XFCE if you prefer the xfce look or the win9x look.

turns out it WAS too stupid for this thread, I just had a syntax error in my config file, just strange that it started referencing a plugin that I had installed. thank you to all that ignored my post for letting me figure this one out

>thank you to all that ignored my post
any time

About to format and set up an old 32GB SSD for a dm-crypt+LUKS secured Arch install. What file system should I go with? The laptop will mainly be used for experimenting with Arch and learning as much as I can about Linux. I'm just not sure where to start here.

Arch is pacman, Ubuntu is apt-get.

XFCE or KDE?

xbps-install -S

3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

I've decided to do this with a new laptop I have, but I'm apparently too retarded to configure the wireless setting during installation of Arch-Linux to download the packets faster than 10kb/s. I'm completely new to linux so Arch was probably a bad first choice, and now I'm considering Fedora because I want to learn web development. Is this a better choice or are there others you guys would recommend? I also want to use media software for memeing and making webms, are linux programs good or should I just run Adobe in a VM?

Arch is a terrible first distro. Just start with Ubuntu. Almost everyone does and its the most likely to "just work".

Gimp is the gnu/linux way to edit photos, but there's a bunch of guides on getting photoshop working with wine.

>pacman -Syu
>22 packages need upgrading
>Download size 79 MiB
>Net install size -10.86 MiB

gnu/linux land is the only place where software can actually get smaller sometimes.

Attached: 1526487570114.png (475x375, 701K)

/usr/bin/paccache is missing from my computer all of a sudden. I've been running arch for years, used it weekly after updating. Did it get removed from the pacman package or something? I couldn't find it in the changelogs, and pkgfile says it's still in core/pacman. I tried installing pacman, didn't change anything.

Arch probably isn't the best idea for someone new to linux. That being said, it does force you to learn a lot about the linux OS in order to get it working while other distros will hide everything away and offer "idiot proof" GUI tools for everything. Either browse around the arch wiki or arch forums for help and tips or use an idiot-proof distro for people who want linux but don't want to have to configure anything manually.

For a pleb user like me does the choice of distro/wm really matter?
I've got a x220 and t420 and a desktop, mostly use the x220 and desktop but is there a specific distro/wm that would make me more productive on one computer vs the other?
i'm using i3wm on my laptops and gnome on my desktop but i just don't see the point anymore, it's like having an unwieldy secret fort.

Cant reproduce, the file is part of the 'pacman' package
Try running the PKGBUILD file manually and see if you can grab it out of the pacman tar.gz

I can't choose a distro to stick with. Help.

Attached: 1406052194437.jpg (125x123, 3K)

debian is only logical choice

Just fixed it by installing pacman-contrib. Looks like paccache (and the whole contrib dir) was removed from pacman in 2016: git.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=0c99eabd50752310f42ec808c8734a338122ec86

>I've been running arch for years, used it weekly after updating
>used it weekly after updating
>used it weekly
>complains 2 years later after file is removed
Dont lie next time

arch

pacman5.1 just came out, retard

How is you claiming to use a script every time you update, and suddenly it dosent exist, yet it was pushed to a secondary file 2 years ago?

>slackware

Attached: mouth.webm (640x800, 1.76M)

Why do the whites/blue light appear brighter on Linux than Windows on the same monitor on a default install of both OS?

You clearly don't use arch, your nonsense is irrelevant.

Conflicting answers. Shit.

I do use arch, and i updated pacman to 5.1.
It has absolutely nothing to do with paccache being moved to pacman-contrib 2 FUCKING YEARS AGO. And somehow in your broken partial updated system, you claimed to use it "every time i update" yet thats a lie since it was removed TWO WHOLE FUCKING YEARS AGO.

I'm not lying, and you're quite stupid. You should look up the 5.1 patch notes yourself.

Attached: slack.jpg (299x169, 5K)

Nothing there about a 2 year old script being pushed to pacman-contrib. 2 years ago. Which means it wouldnt have been in your system for 2 years now, but you suddently realize its gone, despite using it "every time i update". But its been 2 years...

You shouldn't use arch if you need this level of hand-holding, but here you go

git.archlinux.org/pacman.git/commit/?id=64e3a462c61ec620e1a2d86825aae30efd32d6b4
+ - remove contrib - this is now maintained in a separate project

It's a huge fucking crapshoot. I did it from a clean wipe doing windows first then arch and it still didn't dual boot properly. As long as you can switch between boot loaders via bios it really doesn't matter

Do you want to give any information at all?