What the hell is with small screens like phone screens having 1080p and higher resolutions these days? Same for laptops...

What the hell is with small screens like phone screens having 1080p and higher resolutions these days? Same for laptops. Who the fuck needs a 4k, 15in screen? Am I the only person who sees how ridiculous this trend is? It's such a waste of system resources that no one would ever notice the difference in. Maybe, and I mean BIG MAYBE, photo editors and graphic designers are the only people who may notice some difference with this stuff, but even with 20/20 vision, I doubt such a dense screen would make for noticeable improvements to work.

It's painful knowing that the last couple of phones I bought used such dense screens that I know have an impact on the phones performance. I don't make a lot of money, and now with even mid range phones pushing 2k+ screens for no reason just seems ludicrous.

I never come to Jow Forums but I thought this would be a good place to bitch about this and maybe get some reasonable feedback.

Maybe we can have a thread about shit trends in tech?

Attached: WHY.png (680x551, 263K)

Damn, the new Xperia looks like shit.

you could always just
you know
not buy it

one plus 6 is 1080p and flagship specs, funnily enough the regular xperia xz2 is also just 1080p

Attached: carlton.jpg (300x375, 16K)

> 4k screens
> data carriers cap at 480
What a great time to be alive

I'm with you man.

I mean if you REAAAAAAAAALLY need it, but it seems like a dog tail kinda trend where you want a bigger screen to accomodate larger media formats.

Honestly from living room distance I could care less if a good movie wa in VHS, DVD or something like that. Resolution and quality don't always go together.

VR is ruining phones, that's the only reason they're pushing meme screens vs just supporting 4K internally.

Tbh I prefer sony's approach to screen resolution over other manufacturers'. You can either get their normal flagship with a 1080p screen (no unnecessary QHD bullshit), or just go balls to the wall with their premium edition models.
As for laptops, I think their hardware should be powerful enough to the point where rendering a 2D desktop environment at 4x the resolution shouldn't noticeably affect battery life. 4K may be unnecessary, but it's still better than the eternal 768p.

It's called spec wars: bigger number means better when you listen to the marketing team.
Same happened with the digital cameras and the megapixel race, but the trend seems that it stopped for the moment.

Whew i cant wait to look at that 4k screen with a microscope!

>I don't make a lot of money

Jealous poorfag detected.

I have a 4k laptop screen first 4k I owned... I can see the difference been a pc junkie since 95. 1080p vs 4k i can see it. Kinda almost made me tear up... Now don't get me wrong I see your point. More pixels is a natural progression no?

At some point is just marketing.

>VR is ruining phones, that's the only reason they're pushing meme screens vs just supporting 4K internally.
The hardware on PCs is barely ready and capable of producing any consistent, bug free VR experience, forget smartphones.

Death to 768p

Attached: 1507507393046.jpg (750x850, 123K)

Can't have it soon enough, 1440p is just too low for VR

I agree 720p is enough for phone size

1080p is enough up to 23”ish.

4k shines in high 30”s (if viewing up close) and up.

It makes a difference if you put your face up to the screen which you dont do normally.

4k is pointless for productivity if you have to use scaling to just make everything huge.

If you have a 4k display thats so small you set scaling to 200% and thus takes up the same space, its pointless.

4k on a larger screen that needs no scaling, essentially is like having multiple traditional monitors next to eachother with zero bezel.

>these days
user, you're like 5 years late.

shut up grandpa...

You know I’m right son

High resolution phones are for VR, otherwise I think 1440p is fine. 4k is ideal for 15" laptops and 24" desktop monitors because with 2x scaling windows are the same size as if it was 1080p.

Attached: 1526774107372.jpg (1280x1706, 843K)

You retard, look at small 13-14 inch laptop 4k screens, they are beautiful. If you cant see it then you are retard and blind

use your containment thread

>because everyone uses their computer with their face an inch from the monitor.

Attached: main-qimg-22cfc536acf93a5fb36fc102ad3fdbc3-c.jpg (300x168, 6K)

This.
The only property of a screen that really matters at a distance is color quality and or contrast. OLED ruined other panels for me, can't look at anything without thinking the colors look washed out or impure.

>240p is just fine for a TV
>480p is just fine for a portable computer
>768p is just fine for a desktop

Fuck off grandpa, there is not a panel in my room lower than 1440p including my phone and you could fucking tell the difference if you weren't a niggardly luddite

>240p is just fine for a TV

Nowhere in this thread did anyone say 240p TVs are ok. Actually, no one said any of what you quoted. Get the fuck out of here with your dumb ass hyperbole.

>Fuck off grandpa
>niggardly luddite

Yup you are just a trove of information and convincing counter arguments. Also, if you weren't talking out of your ass, you would realize no one in this thread is implying anything close to something that would make them a Luddite. Which, being the title of a person, should be capitalized, just FYI.

Attached: 1523854897432.png (225x227, 119K)

>what is RISC

>20/20 vision
you obviously dont know what that means, because youre fucking stupid

oh god, youre retarded

hes talking historically you dense retard
anyone who argues that lower resolutions are better is fucking retarded
that makes YOU fucking retarded

12 inches is a pretty typical distance from a laptop.

No one is arguing that low resolutions are better, but that 4k is overkill for anything hes talking historically you dense retard
It would be historical if he said
>720p is fine for a TV
>420p is fine for a TV
>240p is fine for a TV

He was mocking me with an exaggeration of what I think is a fine resolution for device X. Learn 2 reading comprehension before you type a reply.

Also
>anyone who argues that lower resolutions are better is fucking retarded
Please let me know the screen resolutions NASA use for mission critical equipment and the reasons why then try formulating a more intelligent argument. You should really check your rage before posting.

Attached: YouMad.jpg (600x457, 30K)

youre a moron if you think 4k is overkill on a 27 inch monitor.

and youre a moron if you think certain people dont want 4k on a laptop display

please take your gimped inferior eyeballs the fuck out of any threads related to display technology unless its specifically for handicapped retards

>youre a moron if you think 4k is overkill on a 27 inch monitor.
I do, please give me an intelligent answer for why you think I am a moron for thinking this.

>and youre a moron if you think certain people dont want 4k on a laptop display
I don't even know where your getting this from. If someone wants a 10in, 4k monitor for some reason, go for it. Though I would argue it's VERY unnecessary and likely a thing due to ridiculous trends. Also "youre". L.O.L

>please take your gimped inferior eyeballs the fuck out of any threads related to display technology unless its specifically for handicapped retards
And your intelligence is shining bright here. Apparently anyone you disagrees with you, is a moron. Quaint.

Attached: obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg (470x570, 43K)

do you think 2560x1440 looks worse?

I think you're looking at the size of the icons on your screen "scaling" more than you are the amount of pixels you have access to.

You are likely very ill informed.

Looks great

Attached: nokia925.jpg (600x514, 32K)

>I do, please give me an intelligent answer for why you think I am a moron for thinking this.
dpi

not who you're quoting, but can you tell me why the dpi matters when you can't see the difference?

DPI has diminishing returns. Past a certain point, you're hurting your performance for little to nothing.

>Apparently anyone you disagrees with you, is a moron.

>projecting this hard

also "anyone you disagrees with you" L.O.L.

Now then, be a big boy by using your words, please tell me why such a dense dpi is such a great thing when
1. scalling for most programs is terrible
2. Most items on your screen will not utilize this dpi and look blurry
and
3. You would literally need to move your face to touch your screen to notice the difference.

>not who you're quoting, but can you tell me why the dpi matters when you can't see the difference?
No, I can't so I won't.
Luckily I see it.

>you can't see the difference?
thats what you dont seem to understand, we *can* see the difference. its *you* who cant see the difference. i dont know if its because your genetically inferior, if its brain damage, or what. the point is, if you cant see the difference, its because YOU. ARE. INFERIOR.

sw always follows hw, it was always this way and will always be this way, smol boye

Hows that virginity coming along? I can smell it from here.

1 wrong
2 wrong
3 lol you obviously have terrible vision

jew detected

Attached: israel facelift.jpg (1024x768, 344K)

Cool
By the way, have you heard about the latest breakthrough in audio engineering?
Tons of satisfied customers swear they can hear the difference.

Attached: Brilliant_Pebbles_All.jpg (1200x904, 146K)

you mean listening to rappers on crack? that's what you're saying.

Z5 had adaptive resolution and it would run in 1080p in anything other than 4k movies, XZ2 probably would do the same.
Making it double redundant.

luckily due to my superior vision not only have i had sex, but ive had sex with women who are really fucking hot, unlike the blurry blobs of flesh youve fucked

You obviously can't make a convincing argument. Go back to school.

>projecting this hard
i bet you think 1366x76

You are this mad. How crusty is the sock by your desk? Has a sock ever shattered on you?

8 is an acceptable resolution

Stop trying to eat my socks, american

please try again.

Fool, your "superior" vision only exposes their flaws
Vague impressions of the feminine form viewed through warped lenses are the closest humanity can come to interacting with venus ideal.

so youre not denying the only female you ever had sex with was a fat blob. glad we've established that you only lost your virginity because you fucked a fat chick

please, keep going. If this is what it takes to stop you from shooting up a school, please take your frustrations out on me.

Attached: 1512630238256.png (480x460, 214K)

>im just going to keep projecting and no one can stop me!

What anime is this from?

He could hit him harder if he made a proper fist

>Arguing against features.
>Who the fuck needs...
I thought this was a technology board.

>photo editors and graphic designers are the only people who may notice some difference with this stuff
Eh, retina displays are for consumption, not creation of media. The pretty display obfuscates minor details when doing design or art works so there's a lot of going back and forth. For creators, I'd think programmers would benefit from the sharper display- less eyesore working on the screen. This is from a non Jow Forums user too though, so take the programmer part with a grain of salt.

The real shit trend about phones is the insane obsession about cramming as many inches as physically possible into them for no reason. I don't want a fucking 37" flatscreen TV with a baseband strapped to it nor do I want some ghetto ass free-in-a-cereal-box special with hardware that would've been obsolete in 2012 already feat. Android 2.3.3, I just want something reasonably sized with reasonable specs that does the occasional internet or map thing. But apparently I'm not allowed to have that.

Sure, there are exceptions, but few and far in between and none of those are in the $200-300 segment.

Attached: 1501540778543.png (414x474, 183K)

>muh 4k
>zero autonomy

The absolute state of designers/marketers

> Sony announces XZ2 Premium Phone with 4K Display, Dual Camera System

...As well as

no

fucking

headphone

jack

>feature = useful (example: good battery)
>4k display in a phone = useless gimmick