>sharelatex.com/learn/Learn_LaTeX_in_30_minutes
>latex-tutorial.com
Or if you want to go pro, read the clean documentation:
>latex-project.org/help/documentation/

How can I do in LaTeX?

>Chances are, other people have probably had the same question before you:
>tex.stackexchange.com
>latex.org/forum/
And don’t forget your best tool - your search engine.

Why learn LaTeX?
>Automated, does most things for you.
>Has packages for absolutely anything.
>Very simplistic, everything is just one file of code.
>Can do very advanced math in seconds with a few commands.
>Looks are extremely customizable.
>With editors like vim, emacs or sublime its extremely productive.

Where do I start with LaTeX?
>sharelatex.com
>overleaf.com
>You can also go balls deep and use just a text editor and a terminal compiler.

Attached: 0BD8E7E3-46C2-45AB-9216-823949CE0F13.png (400x320, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

troff.org/pubs.html
rkrishnan.org/posts/2016-03-07-how-is-gopl-typeset.html
schaffter.ca/mom/mom-04.html
troff.org/prog.html
cs.vu.nl/~ast/home/faq.html
gnu.org/software/groff/manual/html_node/ms-TOC.html
mickey.lucifier.net/stories/b4ckd00r.html
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL471596BD1DB3BBA6
detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why wouldn't you just use a text editor?

Honest question, why not troff?

Why does this need a thread

Not OP, but for a complete beginner LaTeX can be quite daunting. Having a place to share tips and knowledge on one of your favourite sites can make it much less so. Or at least, that's how I see it.

I welcome this thread to the board

Latex is for academia and that is where you learn it. If you're not in academia then just use troff or a word processor.

I find the LaTeX export from the org-mode perfect.

>you should only learn things from "academia"
fuck off, people can learn whatever they want from whomever they want

It would be pointless to learn latex in a commercial setting.

latex tut is down, just me?

Yes, because everyone browsing Jow Forums is doing so to gain knowledge for their work. Why can't you accept that some people would want to learn something just to learn it? Does seeking knowledge seem irrational to you?

Attached: .jpg (400x389, 43K)

Do you honestly LARP as a college professor?
I can see you wearing a tweed coat and smoking a pipe.

Only academic publications take manuscripts in latex.

I do all of my homework in LaTeX and I’m not even in college. Jesus. Why the need to always bitch for something?

It has no disadvantage, apart for a steep learning curve.
Once you learn LaTeX, everything else is ugly and unprofessional.

I generally agree with this. I use LaTeX constantly, but I also write math textbooks for a living. I am not sure of the use cases outside of science/math/etc.

>I do all of my homework in LaTeX and I’m not even in college
I knew I was arguing with an underageban larper.

You know you can always just export it, right? I haven't been asked for anything but a .pdf file in ages anywhere.

Actually, I take it back. I love using LaTeX for all my business documents. It's just so beautiful desu

>I haven't been asked for anything but a .pdf file in ages anywhere.
I get asked for an xml word document.

bump

Attached: 42400_ROFF.png (500x300, 7K)

Never used it's worth? I can't find online a decent example of an exported PDF

are you linux based? emacs/LaTeX requires so many configs on windows. I usually use the editor that comes with MikTex. Seems like it can work with sumatrapdf, but i'm too lazy to set it up.

>I can't find online a decent example of an exported PDF
Every Unix book ever produced was written in troff. Here's an example:
troff.org/pubs.html

oh, you can add "the go programming language" to that list.
rkrishnan.org/posts/2016-03-07-how-is-gopl-typeset.html

Here is an exampleschaffter.ca/mom/mom-04.html

And here some eye candy showing math and chemical graphs with groff troff.org/prog.html

>be artfag major
>do all my shit in latex
>my teachers are pleased with the nice typesetting of all my reports
>I got a small job writting a teacher's thesis in latex
Gotta love it.

First link won't work if I don't put www. at the beginning.

Also from Andrew Tanenbaum
cs.vu.nl/~ast/home/faq.html

Attached: faq.png (1020x300, 57K)

>be me
>school asks for homework
>decide to do it in LaTeX
>everyone brings a fucking handmade paper and I bring a super complex printed pdf
>get the first 20/20 of the entire class

man, masterrace is comfy~

Attached: BFC5A7B0-721E-4BAF-8FD9-D4FE837341C6.jpg (600x749, 121K)

Ah, the retard that ended reimplementing multics in the slowest way posible.

With auctex I literally just double C-c C-c to compile to LaTeX and to view. Then I set the PDF mode to auto-revert-mode and just C-c C-c to see the changes automagically (bibtex included).
For org-mode, C-c C-l made preview for math mode, then C-c C-e l p export to LaTeX and PDF.
Emacs for PDF is comfy.
Thanks!

>real authors use troff

Attached: ryan.gif (314x314, 319K)

Just like the "ed is the standard editor" argument

Except that was a known joke.

Attached: 18951124_1338272742895305_9143706281895386492_n.png (682x960, 411K)

Friendly reminder that XeTeX is the future, with its native UTF8 and OpenType support.

What if you want the table of contents at the start of the document?
>*roff BTFO

ded

gnu.org/software/groff/manual/html_node/ms-TOC.html

>any year
>using GNU shit

>Macro: .TC [no]
>Prints the table of contents on a new page, setting the page number to i (Roman lowercase numeral one). You should usually place this macro at the end of the file, since groff is a single-pass formatter and can only print what has been collected up to the point that the TC macro appears.

Thanks for proving me right.

t. NSA

Is this meme real? Linux seems like absolute shit to me, but I care a lot about privacy. Is it worth it?

>because there isn't not GNU free shit like Free/OpenBSD

>BSD
>using OpenBackdoors
mickey.lucifier.net/stories/b4ckd00r.html

>mickey.lucifier.net/stories/b4ckd00r.html
>DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

To be honest pdfroff can place the toc at the start.

>Linux seems like absolute shit to me
Why? I use it daily and is great for work.

The videos at Youtube are cool, more than enough to learn. The lectures by Donal Knuth are great youtube.com/playlist?list=PL471596BD1DB3BBA6

am i gay for writing most of the content in pandoc-markdown, converting to .tex, then cleaning it up, formatting, etc?

Why you are promoting software from Christian Fundamentalists?

No, semantic markdowns are better for publishing in the current time (where everything ends up in xml/docbook pipelines that 90% of the time end up in some proprietary printing format in the end). Typesetting was fun in the 80's but it is an ancient publishing technique.

user he's telling you he's a NEET

I learned plain TeX because I was bored. Not sure I would recommend it, but it's kind of fun having more explicit control over the formatting and I like how the actual document ends up less cluttered without all he \begin \end garbage. Making tables and floats is a bitch.

>Overfull \expectations (badness 100000000) in post

No one uses this except autists that want to make their life more complicated. Just use a Word Processor like someone who doesn't spending their life entirely in their basement.

>Just use a Word Processor
I don't like Latex but ew. WYSIWYG is nasty shit.

Seriously, if you're writing manuscripts and you're not using Asciidoc/ascidoctor you're full on NEET and wasting time.

bump owo

/thread

same friend

Dexterify is worth a mention, it recognises hand drawn symbols and gives you the corresponding TeX command.
detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

So why should I use troff over Org mode?

bump, being a LaTeX noob.

What's the REAL difference? Is troff more of a programming type (java/python) whereas LaTeX is like HTML/CSS, just content and aesthetics?

I'm glad that someone has created a thread for LaTeX. As a middle school teacher, I was looking for a new tool to create documents and presentations and I stumbled across LaTeX only last year. Well, I'm going to be blunt: it took me only a couple of hours to learn the basics of LaTeX language and after that I was able to create any document according to my needs and will. I was impressed when I first did a table by grouping columns and rows in LaTeX: it came out so easily compared to Office programs I was used to. After that I learnt Beamer and it was a bliss: I've never been so productive and quick at doing presentations in my life.

tl;dr: since I discovered LaTeX, I haven't used anything else.

I'm learning Nano now and I'm wondering if it's good for creating LaTeX documents. I know that /usr/share/nano has a file called tex.nanorc , but I'd like to know if it's possible to convert those files into pdf file by using pdflatex and I'm wondering how nano tells me there's an error in the .tex file, in case it happens.

Started using Latex in Emacs for my invoicing (freelance work). Looks really professional. I'd recommend anyone who is on the fence to def try it out.

>supporting a cuck license

Attached: 1495569755132.png (283x283, 85K)

>as a middle school teacher
I highly doubt that, but whatever
>I'm learning nano now
Don't. Nano is one of the most barebones editors around. Use vim and/or emacs if you absolutely need the terminal or sublime/atom/vscode with the appropriate LaTeX plugin if you don't. Those will give you either live error linting or will do it when you try to compile. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, there's already perfectly working solutions in place

troff and LaTeX are basically the same niche. Macro sets on top of a typesetting/printing engine, meant to be the language written by users to generate output.

troff's main "cultural" difference is that it used preprocessors to add new functionality. So there's a program "eqn" that you pipe a document through to format equations, and "tbl" to do tables, and the result gets piped to troff.

troff was hampered by a few things: it was AT&T proprietary for a long time (although there are free versions now). And the primary author, Joe Ossanna, died young in a car accident. Meanwhile Knuth needed something unambiguously free for his academic work, so he wrote TeX and filled the niche.

People still use troff in a few places, but except for manpages (where it's still far more common than TeX/info shit) it's mostly a curiosity.

I like troff quite a lot though. Groff is considered a rather bloated variant yet it's a fraction of the size of texlive.

Rate the theme I'm working on for my internship presentation.
Forked from AAU theme, moved and resized the progress circle which was too obtrusive, and reskinned for my uni's colors.
It's a bit flamboyant but I think it's nice for a presentation.

Attached: 395672378.png (2048x1536, 473K)

It should be noted that groff doesn't need piping to use things like refer, eqn, tbl, etc. since there's an option switch for it.

So groff -t -ms -Tpdf foo.ms > bar.pdf will work.

Another advantage, to me at least, is that you can easily assign and create new macros on the fly in a document, and that you can also output to plaintext, which I enjoy. IIRC the text files FidoNews were put together using nroff or some shareware implementation of it, which is how they have page-break characters in it.

This is a good reason and those against it don't understand how powerful latex can be.

underage b&

text in those bubbles are too tiny and blurry

Are there any articles or books about the graphic design aspects of tikz?
I know how to use it, just not how to make things look good.

>I highly doubt that
Why?

>nano
>don't
I find Nano great for note taking, to be honest. It only took me few minutes to learn the basic syntax and write a config for txt files. It's also light-weight.

>Vise À fournir
Otherwise looks decent.
Want to send it to me, so I can proof-read it for you?

You can use vimtex for (neo)Vim. Just "ll" to run "latexmk" and view. Any decent PDF viewer updates automatically.

>Friendly reminder that XeTeX is the future
Unlikely. Looks like LuaTeX is taking the crown recently.

Lyx provides a WYSIWYG style editor for LaTeX.

While we don't use LaTeX, at work we use an XML format to produce large quantities of documentation, not a word processor. Some authors use a WYSIWYG XML editor, but I just use vim (with some plugins for XML). That's one of the advantages of semantic markup IMO, no "formatting issues" if two people use different editors. Another is being able to use the same source document to produce multiple kinds of publications automatically. For example, we have fault isolation procedures for equipment that we output as a linear step-based PDF, an interactive HTML/JS based document with question/answer popups, and a flowchart diagram, all from one source.

Explain

I know, I was a vim fag not so long ago. Try to learn emacs, it's really easy for latex and beyond, see ->

Reminder that you shouldn't write latex.

Use org-mode or at least a markdown.

>try to learn emacs
aintnobodygottimefodat.jpg

Seriously, is Nano really that bad for compiling LaTeX docs? I love Nano.

> >try to learn emacs
> aintnobodygottimefodat.jpg
I was in this same boat, emacs bloat, emacs useless, but its easy, seriously.
Just do the turorial an learn how to use C-h, use it for some day and you are set.
In a workflow you generally use only C-x and C-c commands.
Install helm too for maximum comfiness.

> Seriously, is Nano really that bad for compiling LaTeX docs? I love Nano.
Use what you want, if I have to choose nano, I tend to prefer vim anyway, I can't live without the "o" command.

Why would I do that? Emacs is frustrating from the very first launch(I have to actually wait for it to load).

Right now I'm using "vis". It has code highlighting, regexps and modality.

If I need LaTeX, I write a document and run "latexmk -lualatex " and open zathura as a second window. If I need python, I write a document and run python in the second terminal and so on. I don't see how a strange abomination of a "text editor" that is emacs may improve my life in any way.

No Knuth-Plass, no Microtype. Much more minimal and Unix-y though, it's pretty cool for that. It's a better piece of software, conceptually, it's also just kinda lacking the two critical features.

My favorite way of writing LaTeX is in commonmark/Pandoc md and appending to a template file. Cmark is pretty minimal.

Use what you want, I don't care if you don't like it ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯
(I was a like you, tmux+vim, but then I changed, we'll see)

>mfw retards actually think centralizing their workflow with emacs is respectable

Attached: 1384294664689.png (300x300, 9K)

It is in the land of lisp.

>Just use a Word Processor like someone who doesn't spending their life entirely in their basement.

Once I learned LaTeX, I actually started spending way less time on my documents. I just put in the content, and the format basically does itself. For standard docs I just copy the format over and fill in the content.

It is faster, cleaner and looks really good when compared to Word files

>>as a middle school teacher
>I highly doubt that, but whatever

Not everyone on here is a NEET, user.
I myself teach at vocational school and use Latex a lot.

Vim would be better for editing LaTeX because you can execute commands from within vim (which nano can't do afaik).
:! pdflatex "%" && killall -s SIGHUP mupdf-x11 compiles the current file ("%") with pdflatex, then tells all running mupdf instances to reload the contents of the pdfs they are displaying. This way you can have a terminal and a mupdf window open and see your changes instantly every time you compile.

>running the commands directly
>not putting the project pdf build under make(1)

As a software developer myself I've no doubt that there are people on this board that are employed, I just thought it'd be unlikely a teacher would enjoy shitposting on Jow Forums

LaTeX is comfy when you are fluent
Especially for mathematics

>This way you can have a terminal and a mupdf window open and see your changes instantly every time you compile.
Or you could use zathura that updates it automatically.

Trying to make latex autoload with a pdf reader is a hack to make it WYSIWYG and shows that latex is shit. With troff you don't have to worry about previewing all the time because you get what you write. The whole purpose of typesetters to keep you from having to worry bout the look of the document and focus on writing the content.

>to make it WYSIWYG
What?

What You See Is What You Get.

No, I mean how does it make latex into one?

LaTeX vs. word.
Why it is worthwhile to learn LaTeX in one pic.

Attached: ffjqm_img[1].jpg (560x440, 34K)