/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Previous thread:

Attached: SmalltalkBalloon.jpg (1225x1520, 581K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/B48GGQV
discord.gg/4TuhPhr
discord.gg/programming
timothylottes.github.io/20180215.html
sites.google.com/a/athaydes.com/renato-athaydes/posts/a7mbnative-imagejavaappthatrunsin30msandusesonly4mbofram
docs.racket-lang.org/reference/begin.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Nim

Attached: wojak_05.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg (710x594, 123K)

Yes but Linux doesn't have an equivalent yet. I honestly don't know what's so hard about giving the kernel a buffer and saying "start copying shit to that buffer and I'll epoll the fd to figure out when its done", but so far it doesn't exist in Linux.

I think Linus likes the microthreads approach better. It's strange because Linux has sendfile which copies data between fds in kernel space.

Quit your job, make video games

Attached: Untitled.png (225x225, 10K)

What are some cool discords you guys part of?

Wrong board, wrong thread
Head back.

>implying there isn't any programming discords
>hurr

nobody uses irc anymore retard

Go back

no

Attached: 1520663550924.png (420x426, 205K)

oh you mean like this one?
discord.gg/B48GGQV

A distributed RPC framework that allows for consensus based state replication. Or a cryptocurrency for short

>the future of finance
nah. But it's a fun little project

Attached: distRPC.jpg (1224x645, 113K)

>I honestly don't know what's so hard about
maybe it's not about being hard, but unnecessary? why bloat the kernel with stuff you can do in userspace?

Anyone of you has ever made a translator? Any tips on how to deal with the strings and replacement?

Wrote a scheme script that takes 2 directories and uses openssl to generate a checksum for every file inside of them recursively and checks to make sure that all the files are the same.

>stuff you can do in userspace

Because the userspace AIO implementation is working so good, right?

Doesn't work

don't know, I don't think anyone uses it; I was referring to the fact that you can easily build a callback abstraction in userspace on top of the readiness-notification mechanism

in this company we want it BIG. you hear me? BIG.

No small talks allowed, focus on the project.

learning bigtalk if true

The point is having uniform asynchronous I/O interface for any kind of file descriptor. Epoll currently only works well for sockets. User space tools don't work at all, and even if they did they wouldn't be as well integrated as a kernel mechanism.

We can already epoll nearly anything, even signals with signalfd and it's a vast improvement to software interrupt-based signals handling. People really should start working on a IOCP equivalent that's integrated into epoll.

you must be banned then

Fuck off back to your daycare board

I never go to /v/ though, playing games is cancer

It says the invite expired

Kill yourself

Attached: 36.png (692x757, 260K)

Stop shilling your gamerirc channel here then

Neck yourself, autistic weeb

>It says the invite expired
it says that when you're banned, too

But I've never joined any discord before

Fuck you

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 18K)

what in the fuck did they mean by "chinook"

Attached: 2018-05-29 01_04_36-SQLite Sample Database And Its Diagram (in PDF format).png (748x571, 225K)

discord.gg/4TuhPhr

>Epoll currently only works well for sockets.
and pipes, eventfd, timerfd, signalfd
>User space tools don't work at all
what do you mean by user space tools?
>IOCP equivalent that's integrated into epoll
this doesn't really make sense; IOCP is a completion notification model and epoll is a readiness notification model

chink + gook

discord.gg/programming is like 4 times bigger and more active

yes but thats for normies
you think i want to talk about programming in a programming discord? nah man

how about an animu discord?

OwO
go on..

Attached: 1525380573058.jpg (1826x1795, 191K)

>discord.gg/programming
>.gg/programming
>Jow Forumsprogramming
nope.

anime-themed programming discord

>have to claim account to post to server

This fucking thing wont accept temp emails

>Super-talky-guy

My sides

dumb frogposter

>40 posts in and almost entirely discordposting
this thread should be nuked

I'll nuke YOUR asshole fag

Attached: 1522362574973.jpg (285x322, 46K)

would you rather anime?

Programming in C++ is like getting lots of kisses from cute anime girls!

Attached: 1500784927738.png (2560x1440, 3.72M)

>mental illness intensifies

Anime website.

>mental illness is justified

>being this new

Attached: 1445110161385.jpg (1920x1200, 347K)

>everyone should know by now anime IS mental illness

so it feels like nothing since anime girls dont exist?

I'm trying to learn OpenCL but I'm too much of a brainlet to understand

They do exist when you program in C++ though.

>mental illness doesn't exist
lad...

I haven't seen this wallpaper in like a decade. damn.

why?

it literally doesn't though

>What are you working on
I'm a delivery driver and my boss uses an old-school paper-based system. It works but it can be better.

I'm developing a system that takes in delivery dockets and re-digitizes the information so I can make a tablet app to help with picking/packing.

Then I'll be extending the app to incorporate the delivery itself (geofencing customers, tracking times taken, ability to add notes).

Not giving it to the boss, just for myself, it's been a fun challenge so far.

>justifying degeneracy as mental illness

The only degenerates in this thread are "people" using trashlangs such as not C++.

Attached: 1507900303669.jpg (800x1000, 306K)

Underrated lang.
Needs to cut their shit and polish their current features and stdlib.
Hoping a company will back it up a la Elixir.

CriPPles is a truly awful language
what the fuck did you just say

Attached: bjarne.png (136x275, 91K)

does she have a dick?

Is this just what C programmers are like?

Attached: Enlightened.png (1143x2709, 756K)

tldr?

nvm
Cniles are retarded, everyone knows that

Attached: 1527546289632.png (1834x1200, 740K)

put me on the twitter

>put me on the twitter
no

>resizable array
i don't believe that exists

pls
only non-obvious shitposts get tweeted

Of course it does. Allocate new array, copy shit over, deallocate old one.

thats creating a new array

The stack and the heap are both resizable arrays through the power of virtual memory. When a segfault would occur as a result of a stack overflow, if the access is below the max stack size, pages are added to the stack. Likewise the heap can be extended with sbrks.

My friend literally did that. Did not work well for him. He posted a kikestarter asking for $5,000 promising his game would be done in 6 months. He got a total of $1,000 in pledges, mostly from friends and family. He then spent the rest of the year asking publishers and angel investors or money. He's finally found himself an actual job instead of begging for money after about a year and a half.

Attached: 1527391814123.jpg (971x565, 87K)

Wow, this is depressing.
timothylottes.github.io/20180215.html
tl;dr the Vulkan API sometimes forces the application to provide wasteful external synchronization when implementations could easily be made thread-safe and lock-free.

Bow to the overlord
sites.google.com/a/athaydes.com/renato-athaydes/posts/a7mbnative-imagejavaappthatrunsin30msandusesonly4mbofram

Java is one of the best, if not the best language to write long running, large scale distributed systems that are secure and maintainable
With GraalVM you can now also reach efficiency of close to the metal languages such as C

Java will be the ultimate comfy language for everything

>Java is one of the best, if not the best language to write long running, large scale distributed systems that are secure and maintainable
Erlang

Smalltalk's reflective nature is pretty neat, especially some of the older implementations with an object table that allowed you to do object swizzling in O(1) time. There's a fairly big performance cost to doing things that way, but it does let you do some really cool stuff.

I'm working on a GNU-smalltalk like smalltalk interpreter that will allow the GC to be written in smalltalk itself by having some primitives to handle memory slices and reallocating objects in them. The main downside of this approach apart from performance is that I need to use have null references to make the language memory safe (my approach with an object table automatically turns dangling refs into nulls if you mess up the explicit memory management bits and do an early free).

In entirely different news, Julia 1.0 is imminent (all github issues finished, official stable release on August 8) and I'm pretty hyped about it.

Attached: chad_gorilla.jpg (460x692, 85K)

Good luck trying to do long running, computationally heavy with Erlang, like machine learning or optimization problems

[banter stops]

Attached: DbkSJeQW4AE2zhF.jpg:large.jpg (1172x705, 225K)

The JVM is amazing. Java itself isn't.

java itself is a solid language

I like java less now with all the FP shit, and I am a schemefag at that. It's so bolted on and reeks of sepples, although its actual implementation of the FP shit is better than sepples'. Java without that crap and with one of the anti-boilerplate tools was good.

are you retarded or something
streams/lambdas makes java much better

I'm working thru SICP and I'm wondering how I make many lines of code to run in scheme? Whenever I press enter it just runs and I can't create a new line.

pls help me bois

Attached: 😂👀👌🤙💯💯💯.jpg (960x960, 86K)

dont read that is a fucking meme
you are just wasting your time

brainlet opinion
the FP in java is great

write the code into file "benis.ss." run (load "benis.ss"). in the long term might wanna consider picking up emacs or vim+tmux.

They're cancer and fail to play to the strengths of java. I think you should consider C++ if you like them.

Use a real functional language instead of some bolted on shit.

docs.racket-lang.org/reference/begin.html

It is called (begin ...) in scheme and (prog ...) in common lisp iirc. But it is very rarely used.

>very rarely
Nah it's not too uncommon, often either for if statements (#1 use) or for macros that expand into multiple toplevel expressions. More obscurely, sometimes you need a side effect to occur alongside an argument evaluation, i.e. (+ (begin (print "foo") 1) 2).

My complaint with begin is that if it weren't for the macro behavior which could be made unnecessary with some changes to syntax-rules, it doesn't need to exist as an empty let, (let () ) does the same thing.

pure fp is shit

when will npm fucking die

will npm fucking die?

whose fault is it that this is happening?

Attached: npm.png (1246x916, 187K)

>implying i was advocating hasklel

Attached: sussman.jpg (197x287, 13K)

management says no, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Use Yarn retard.

i hope youre not advocating for lisp

Attached: npm.png (1111x721, 150K)

of course not. it's 2 namespace trash that isn't even tail optimizing. I'm advocating scheme.

not a damn thing because i'm not motivated and i hate writing anything involving SDL

it's a pain in the ass with travis