Would mechs be possible by 2055

would they?

Attached: mech-tank-usa-1-3d-model-rigged-max.jpg (676x473, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vVHzu4D1lL4?t=45s
youtube.com/watch?v=7rgFtkMiXms
youtube.com/watch?v=v5QR-npQZwM
youtube.com/watch?v=lPtOQAkxxCs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes

what the fuck for

1) tanks are faster
2) we don't even need tanks because we have no real enemies that can counter our airborne drones.

If enough effort is put into it, I suppose it'll be possible, but it'll be an outdated concept. Who needs mechs when you have powerful tanks and advanced aerial capabilities.

As cool as mechs are, tanks are better in pretty much every way.

i think they're near possible now
tanks superior?
terrain, water, walking over stuff, shear size.
i think a mech would be much better

Attached: Evangelion-for-idiots.jpg (4099x1171, 626K)

I think what makes mechs so appealing is their versatility.

>they can be human sized power suits for every day use
>they can be towering behemoths for space exploration, since gravity isn't constantly working against them
>they can have multiple legs, treads, or even be aerial

Just thinking of them in general "giant walking bipedal tank" terms isn't giving them the credit they deserve.

Mechs face a number of issues that you can't fix without BS space magic tech.

For example, armoured vehicles have either treads or lots of wheels to spread their weight out; a mech of the same weight will end up sinking into any ground that isn't solid concrete. Note that city streets usually have sewers & such running underneath them, so a mech would have to worry about breaking through the road.

Another is basic geometry; a tank shape is more compact/has less surface area than a humanoid shape. So for the same weight, a tank will have much thicker armour. Note that human infantry is trained to hit the dirt, and go into a prone position when fighting; basically making oneself shaped more like a tank.

Attached: 1410997639574.gif (296x142, 1.76M)

Tanks are better at jumping?

if we were. I would imagine they would be like armored core tank mechs.

The only advantage I would see them having is striking fear in your enemies as a 5 story tall mech is rolling at you. But practically I dont see them being worth the cost.

Attached: tank_legs_by_endless_warr-da3cou1[1].png (700x700, 386K)

Attached: faceplant[1].gif (400x153, 504K)

They're possible now, but they're just expensive as fuck to make.

tanks are better at not getting shot, which is rule number two in war.

by 2055 i'd hope our entire armed forces is basically jsut fucking missiles. if it weren't for "muh nuclear ICBMs" this reality would have been realized by now, but instead we have this weak ass "global strike initiative" where we waste assloads in hunks of floating steel and stupid politically ill-gotten air bases.

fuck nuclear arms treaties and fuck wasteful military bullshit.

As I see it mechs would be extremely expensive and utterly impractical in any type of use. UNLESS, they were in space. Even then im not sure I could see a mech fight a type of spaceplane that's designed like modern day bi-planes and win.

It is possible even now but tanks and drones are superior. Mech only helps in looking cool.

This. Personally I think massive drone swarms would be even cooler than mechs and may even make tactical sense but I'm not even an armchair military strategist.

>tanks are faster
how do you know?

because that mech would be stuck in the ground thanks to it's horrendous ground pressure figures.

They're not possible because there is no reason for the industry to get behind them ever. Don't be like that buildtheenterprise dot org guy.

even floating tanks will be superior

Bipedal machines would likely topple over

With current technology, bipedal mechs of that size are impossible.

This. A bipedal robot the size of a building is too massive and has too much inertia to be able to shift its center of mass quickly enough to maintain balance while walking.

Any space magic you use to get a mech well armored and fast enough for the battlefield would be better put to use making better tanks.

whats the number one?

>not making moa formurban combat

Attached: MOADE.png (900x900, 276K)

>mechs
define mechs
full blown gundam faggotry? (no never, hopefully)
or armour suits like halo mjolinr? again, nope (although it's close, they're just tethered to walls bcos shit powersupply)
or like the robo dog which has already been developed and is currently being fine tuned for eventually deployment? (it'll carry a fucktonne of stuff and follow soldiers almost everywhere, but doesn't have active offensive weapons)

yet

they're possible right now, but completely improbable and no one would ever use them

i.e. battletech style

just giv this dumbass a gun

Attached: Untitled-2.png (954x624, 461K)

Power supplies limit their functionality.

Japan/Korea are working on them but they look pretty fragile. I guess they could be a thing in 2055 but that's assuming there's any reason to make them given how other military tech will advance.

Don"t volunteer

To shoot

Attached: https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F12%2Fmetalhead.jpg%3Fw%3D2000&w=700&q=85.j (700x467, 46K)

Shoot

Attached: 1512221952710.jpg (1024x1024, 127K)

>because that mech would be stuck in the ground thanks to it's horrendous ground pressure figures.
>end up sinking into any ground that isn't solid concrete.

It's almost like you have never need outside before. The only case in which a vehicle sinks is in very wet conditions, which will sink any vehicle. (possible in some types of sand) The tank avoids getting stuck (until it gets really fucking stuck) by having more surface area to apply force over for locomotion, rather than somehow floating on top of the soft ground.

A tank might only press down with a limited force per square meter/foot but that whole vehicle weight is pressing down and displacing ground.
If it sinks to the hull it's stuck unable to apply motive force through the treads because it lacks enough ground pressure to overcome slipperiness of the ground.
This is why people rarely get stuck, they can almost always apply enough force and have enough torque to move while wheeled or even tracked vehicles can't get out.

All that said power armor rather than Gundam style mecha are practical and effective. Giant robots are not practical or likely ever to be effective.

2) we don't even need tanks because starving peasant can't counter airborne drones

ftfy

I could see mechs being used for defensive purposes like in Deus Ex, mostly just patrolling a set path automatically like the perimiter of a military base or inside a large warehouse. Or maybe by police for anti riot shit, sure it would be impractical but the entire main strategy of riot control is just being hugely intimidating instead of being practical and mechs sure are intimidating. And definitely for construction, civilian and military, they would be great for moving heavy and awkward shit fast and easily in terrain where a crane or tracked vehicle can't easily get to. Mining operations would probably benefit from mechs too.

Urban combat what? You mean from warframe right?

>no real enemies that can counter our airborne drones

implying drones can do shit against things whit active protection systems or CIWS

> EVERYONE TURNS INTO TANG
lmao rn

This. Powering them is a huge problem. Where you gonna fit a megawatt class gas turbine cause thats what you would need.

It's all fun and games until it gets EMPed

5 minutes should be more than enough time.

Attached: image.jpg (397x359, 103K)

Attached: image.jpg (1024x768, 387K)

Needs to be bigger and carry at least a general atomics railgun.

Mechs have autobalancers ( see that boston droid )

then we stuxnet their ciws

yeah but they would be insanely expensive, like you know a modern main battle tank, or a f/a jet

they're possible now just not worth making because mechs are dumb sorry weebs

The problem with them is despite being every boys dream

1)They are slow, and would have very little terrain advantage if they even ever do
2)They are big damn targets with a lot of weakspots (Read joints/relative thin legs)

You will never become a mech pilot OP, just give up

>shear size.
You know that this is actually a disadvantage? the easier it is to spot you the more target markers you will find on yourself

I got just the guy
Giving out steady BBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTT injections for over 30 years

Attached: hqdefault-1.jpg (480x360, 24K)

>tfw Musk creates American Mechs *flex*

We're not talking eastern panzy "Mecha" gundum shit.
We want western bipedal walkers with rocket pods and gatling gun arms with folding fucking rail cannons over the shoulders.

Tiny indexing appendedages are waste or space and weight.
Just strap hinged cannon arms on those badboys and make walking fortresses.

Tanks are superior in every conceivable way.
They're almost certainly faster.
They're less fragile, walking on two legs is immensely complicated and easy to break.
If the mech can keep up with a tank it's going to be very loud (imagine a 50 ton object slamming it's entire weight into the ground frequently enough to hit 75 km/h, on top of the engine noise of a normal tank) and if the mech falls over at that speed it's probably going to tear itself apart because of it's fragile construction.
Tanks are low to the ground, making them hard to hit, easy to hide and near impossible to knock over.
The fact that they're impossible to knock over means they can be fitted with a far more powerful gun than a equivalently large mech.
The small cross section and lack of joints means you can slap far more armor per unit area onto the parts most likely to get hit.
If you go beyond the "tank but standing up" form factor the thing just gets silly, the material strength doesn't scale because of the inverse square law.
And all the advantages could just be retrofitted onto a tank design. If you want the height vision advantage, fit the tank with a periscope or even a drone. If you want the general purpose tool use for clearing obstacles or moving things just fit a robotic arm or crane to the tank. If you really want the height at which the gun is mounted you could put a second smaller cannon on a robot arm (the mech would need to have a smaller cannon anyway so you haven't lost out too much). And none of these additions would hurt a tank as much as just giving up and turning the entire thing into a two storey tall walking target.

square-cube law*

They can be built NOW

*throws a liquor bottle with a lit rag in it*

im not a engineer but wouldn't it be better to have a larger surface area over which to distribute the weight? and why would you want a lot of weight high up anyway?

Ask that from human evolution, idiot

>and near impossible to knock over.
Nothing Comrade Wodka and Private Stupidity can't accomplish. youtu.be/vVHzu4D1lL4?t=45s
This actually is a very good example of why giant humanoid mechs would suck. If you can do this with relatively low center of mass, imagine just how easier it will be if it is 4 meters above ground.

Mechs are possible now. Koreans are already fucking around with them.
youtube.com/watch?v=7rgFtkMiXms

i think that humans are a little bit different from war machinery (or rather the poor man's war machinery). we have to do other things than just kill stuff.

Honestly. Even if you gave it some weapons, I would still be more aftraid of mark IV tank than this.

Of course you would, because that's literally just a giant concept they're fucking around with and got working. Look at the speed, what is it, a 1mph?

Damn, the books must have really loved Avatar

You lot do remember you can have more than two legs, right?

Attached: I9O2C.jpg (769x429, 67K)

Why would you want a retarded mech in a time of mass drones and super smart missiles?

they're trying to make goliaths

Attached: goliath.gif (192x192, 108K)

Moving equipment for infantry?

This. Small mechs that carry shit for soldiers are already in development. All those fantasy mechs are extremely unpractical

>expensive as fuck
>lots of points of failure
>very high target profile
>not that much more armed than a tank
>legs are a very vulnerable target/ no way of making it as well armored without making it too heavy
>bipedal legs will sink on soft terrain
>doesn't really do anything better than a tank
they just look cool, but would be very inefficient as a warmachine

well we would those by now, if mechanical and robotics engineers weren't so incompetent.

Just
>>>reddit.com

mech would make sense if it was gundam"I can run 300kmh and G forces dampened for pilot on ground, 180' turn is 0.7second movement" kind of bullshit mech
but that's impossible.
if it's even possible exosuits about 2m tall, armored and fast will be a thing, human able to run 60kmh on battlefield would be unstoppable vs normal humans, really old idea which is really not possible but more realistic than giant mechs

Attached: 1503044848469.jpg (1024x1188, 221K)

>advanced aerial capabilities
Pretty much this. There's a reason why aircraft carriers replaced dedicated batteships.

Most fit not all MS in Gundam can't do what you described for the most part.

my most recent gundam memory is 00, they seemed very impressive there

Name something that runs faster than something of equivalent cost on wheels.

I doubt mechs will be possible in our lifetime but maybe in like 200 years when we have turbo fission nuclear reactors and would benefit from having human style motor controls in a big and powerful operated vehicle.

Ah, I was thinking of the UC series only. Not any of the other series.

We're going for a Drone future and eventually AI stuff, singularity is coming and it might be underwhelming as fuck because real life is uninteresting and everyone is smart enough to avoid the most idiotic Scifi Tropes.

So yeah, I agree, Soldier Drones are coming.

if robotics engineers didnt suck salty pene they would learn to model joints and hydraulic assemblies after humans and properly integrate accelerometers and gyro sensors

They already are, it's just that nobody is retarded enough to build them because decades of research into their utilization ended in them either being useless for most scenarios or having a better and cheaper alternative.

what about the minovsky particles

Just use them on tanks.
They will still be faster and better armed/armored

>be possible
They are totally possible now.
Nobody founds this shit though as it's useless.

>Army of drones

>disabled by a single EMP or hacked

Nah not gonna happen AK-78 wil live for ever

>a single EMP
pretty sure you can't EMP military hardware, or everyone would long time ago

Spider tanks fuck when?
youtube.com/watch?v=v5QR-npQZwM

Spider legged artillery? Yeah that might be good.
Spider tank? silly design.

Nigga the amount of force needed in a low enough timeframe to make a proper mech jump is unattainable by any conventional mechanical systems and even if there was one it would be so expensive that it would become completely impractical

yes, but they will never happen. they are not practical.

The onboard computer controls all 20 verniers in order to make those sharp turns.

youtube.com/watch?v=lPtOQAkxxCs

Then what is human pilot still doing there? Just remove it