What has Jow Forums done with a raspberry pi?

What has Jow Forums done with a raspberry pi?

I'm thinking of making a head unit for my car

Attached: images (10).jpg (456x322, 24K)

>just usb 2.0 my shit whole shit up senpai
dogshit

my orange pi is a 24/7 seedbox, pihole and stunnel vpn server

that's it

upnp -> mpd with hifiberry digi+ pro hat for jitter free galvanic isolated coax link to multibit dac.

Attached: hifiberry digi plus pro.jpg (474x360, 27K)

Automated fleshlight

Would it be legal to hide one of these in a place with free wi-fi and just tunnel into the pi and use their wifi from home? Sounds like a fun project I'd do just for fun, I'm not intending to do illegal shit with it.

I use it to browser the web an order an Arduino so I can actually do stuff in real time.

just pihole

I got an original model a while back for free.

It sits on a shelf in my closet because while I initially was very excited to get ahold of one I suddenly realized that I had no idea what to actually use it for.

So you wanna use a local business as a proxy? For what purpose? You gain basically nothing at inferior perf.

Host a bideo games server maybe, just for fun.
Probably nothing special.

Use your imagination. As long as it doesn't demand heavy CPU use, it does essentially anything you want.

Do things like:
-Add sensors and monitor the weather
-Home camera hub
-Web server
-NAS
-Game console
-Home thermostat
-Media center
-Robot controller
-Low grade desktop PC
-Radio transmitter
-A stupid smart mirror

Attached: 1524914028774.jpg (400x323, 26K)

Do you not know how to spell the word performance, or is this some new niggerspeak?

I made a dust collector.

You'd have to punch a hole in the NAT to host anything on there or have it work backwards. Nothing would reach your device inside the network otherwise.

Lots of people shorten performance these days. Didn't know it was exclusive to those of dark skin tone.

Attached: 1471313274919.jpg (1000x750, 195K)

Didn't think of this.
And they'd likely block the ports I'd need open.
Dang it.

Would it be legal to hide one of these.
>legal to hide
>hide
I think you know the answer to this.

Why would you need to hide if if have permission?

>orange pi
Isn't it chinese botnet?

who cares, it's cheaper and faster than the raspi

i trust the chinks more than the mutts anyway despite both being shit

I don't want to spend any money on it, so it'll probably end up just being used as an emulator box so I can play Genesis games in my living room without having to use my Steam Link I guess.

Attached: 1474870596316.png (653x763, 733K)

even usb 1.1 is plenty for use as a headunit/jukebox

currently using a pi zero as a desktop machine
protip: don't, I typed most of this opening line before the post box loaded, a recent firefox is literally too slow to use (as opposed to just being too sluggish to want to)
it's really bad at being a standard desktop machine
doing things like watching video or playing games works... but you can't really multitask while doing it since the programs that run at a decent speed take over the whole screen and don't play nice with switching VTs (I do have mplayer installed to play really low quality pre-H264 .mp4 video under X, and mednafen can play SMS, GG, and GB games under X -- nothing else it emulates runs full speed though)
the fattest thing that runs decently is GIMP... and it's too slow to draw with, barring lines (this is probably just because it's trying to redraw every single time the mouse is moved -- it's otherwise entirely usable, screen updates are the biggest bottleneck)

the dumb bit is that every pi model except like the first could probably be used as a cute little desktop system, but modern software is both bloated as shit (glhf with GTK3 anything, it sucks -- QT stuff is slow as shit too, although it's not quite as bad, GTK2 stuff and programs that don't use a recent widget toolkit run a-okay) and modern programs don't take advantage of the thing's hardware anyway (it's amazing how much time is spent just drawing to the framebuffer , I'm running at 800x600 not just because I'm like five feet away from the screen, it's just loads faster than running at the native 1600xwhatever res)

also, it's choking on recaptcha really fucking hard right now

yeah i use my Raspberry Pi 3B+ as an awfully slow NAS and a decent speed torrentbox and miniDLNA server.

same
banana pi is best for sata speeds & cheap
the chinks can't even read english correctly so wtf do I care

stuck it in my vagina lol

Absolute mad lad

Desktop usability can be achieved by Boards with emmc. Tinkerboard s, odroid. Etc.

you need to forward ports on the starbucks router or whatever. too much work.

rpi 2 as a thin client that i built into the case of a 5.25" drive with retro pi on it. primary purpose is to manage surveillance feeds and manage my garden through esp8266 IoT devices; it acts as a separate wifi router to facilitate this securely.

i also have a rpi zero i'm going to put into an HMD thing im working on. gonna use acrylic glass for partial reflection to get a HUD from a low resolution OLED screen first, then i'll try to get either LCOS working. main problem would be finding a driver to run micro hdmi into the LCOS screen that'll be wearable. i've already got the gyroscope/accelerometer and i've got the camera working (laptop cam configured to hook up in usb).

and how, pray tell, is emmc going to improve the low cpu and video performance
they're better, faster boards, but they're still slow

tt-rss and file server

I have one of the very first Raspberry Pi B's, mine runs apcupsd for UPS monitoring and Pi-hole. Does the job just fine and has been doing so for years now.

did you just bang your head on the keyboard a few times and hit post or what

>forward ports
Reverse SSH

Attached: image.jpg (190x265, 29K)

Been debugging the 3b's wireless shitting itself randomly for the past 3 days. Meanwhile my 3b+ has been running for months with no issues.

Anyone know how to fix the wifi issue with the 3b driver?

The pi is limited by it's interfaces not the CPU.

USB/Ethernet and SD card are all on the same bus.
Odroid has seperate busses.
Emmc has a greater I/O and therefore anything that isn't in RAM will be much quicker than on a limited SD interface.

The interface and the flash media are both faster.

It's basically like asking how would booting from a SSD faster than a flashdrive or having more I/O.

(OP)
>Buy this adapter it will work user its 5.5v 2.5a
>You definitely need this power adapter it will solve all of your problems
pic related

Attached: this_shit.png (788x801, 66K)

most of the issues are video performance, and some (well, just those related to web browsing) are a from raw lack of CPU power
disk and network performance aren't amazing, but they're tolerable on the Pi

but programs spend an extremely long time just getting the image on the display because it's unaccelerated
there are programs for the Pi that have video acceleration, and they run drastically better, but they also don't integrate nicely into an ordinary X11 desktop

>currently using a pi zero as a desktop machine
>protip: don't
duh

how are the sata/usb/eth speeds compared to the pi?
this really is its biggest drawback

some people might think it's unironically a good idea (as opposed to something to attempt for shits and giggles, like I did)
and the Pi Foundation promoted 'em as being okay for general purpose use, like cheap machines for an education setting (good marketing, but it just isn't up to it, unless they're going to be pure thin clients and do fucking nothing locally)
it almost works enough, too, with some careful software choices and limits

but web browsing on it sucks way too fucking much though:
>links -g is fast
...but that's because it doesn't run/render jack shit
good for downloading pictures with, though
>midori sucks and a bunch of shit breaks in it
...but it's usable, if kinda slow
>firefox is flat out so slow that you can barely use the interface
actually browsing a website in it is basically impossible

Try an SBC with onboard or expandable emmc. The difference in overall performance is magnitudes higher than storage with a class 10 SD card. I was in the same camp as you till I made the switch.

>hifiberry
Well shit this is exactly what I was looking for but "raspberry pi spdif" never returned any useful results
Thanks, fren

>the Pi Foundation promoted 'em as being okay for general purpose use, like cheap machines for an education setting
are you sure they did that for the zero?
it is clearly intended for embedded purposes

>I'm thinking of making a head unit for my car
doing the same currently

i2p gateway

A music player that I use with the phone. I will attach a touch screen someday

>currently using a pi zero as a desktop machine
next time, you can try using a microwave oven

I'm going to buy one to make a critter and guitari organelle copy. I'm not going to drop 500 bucks on a meme synth.

is that maynard shit ever gunna get released? I never got it to run even on an actual pc. Maybe the pi would actually be useful.

>RPi3
Pihole
IRC bot
Web scrapper
Gitea repo
Deluge torrent box
>Rpi zero
House alarm system

How is tt-rss? Does it handle weel a rss with around 1000 entries daily?

Shoved the p4wnp1 shit on mine and had some fun with it.Currently gathering dust.

>Ran great when parked
kek'd and checked

performance?

the Zero is an enhanced version of the Pi 1 in a smaller footprint with more memory and faster

I'm very confused. What is Raspberry Pi?

Most useful thing I ever made with it was a fan controller which had a couple of PWM conectors and some thermal probe conectors like pic but it was for a little brain box for a lathe.
I'm not really great at this shit though took me a while to get it all working properly and I could probably have wasted less money by buying something else instead of a raspberry pi which was most likely overkill for the job but again, I'm not really a computer engineering guy.

Attached: example.jpg (800x524, 109K)

Most small shops have default router passwords just look em up after connecting, or crack it with Hydra, you could always just reverse shell though

Attached: 1526005251212.jpg (800x1200, 127K)

i like it, the interface in the Android app is not that great but i can live with it.
about your question, i have 150 feeds but i don't get 1000 a day. I feel it could handle a few feeds without lots of entries better than a lot feeds with a few entries, although for me is handling everything like a champ.

you should've used an arduino chink clone, they're like 3 dollars

>i trust the chinks more than the mutts anyway despite both being shit

Dumb Eurotrash.

Raspberry Pi is British. Even the language and keyboard settings are set to UK English.

They're even made in Britain, by Sony.

just pihole
It's pretty much maxed out with my 4,5 Mil blocklist

I have the Banana Pi M2 Berry (released in 2017), and the speed over samba is shit (~40 MBps). Explaining Computers has a video where he compares different SBC NASes, pic related shows the results.

Attached: file.png (1781x936, 630K)

Spotted the NetBSD user

>than the mutts
>Raspberry Pi is British
what's the difference

low power consumption pc because i'm poor but i bought a used laptop, now it's running as a pihole

Mine does nothing but VPN and http(s) reverse proxy so that I can use multiple servers with httpd and not have to set each one to a retarded port. I run a small hosting service and I'm sure my users don't want to have to tell people to add ":$PORT" at the end of their URL.

if you don't need it, turn off video connection (hdmi adapter) and pwr/act led, it should drain 35 mA less

That scrot was from a arch install that I had going to see if it fixed the WIFI issues I am seeing, where WIFI chip has firmware that locks up. The WIFI issue wasn't resolved so I went back to Raspbian and now I haven't seen that message. I still have WIFI issues with Raspbian Stretch, even after trying a million and one things to get it working.

What I have done now is installed Raspbian Jessie which is the older version of Raspbian and so far so good. No under voltage messages and no WIFI chip firmware/driver issues (yet, knock on wood). If using Jessie doesn't fix this issue with WIFI then I guess I have to get a separate dongle or run ethernet somehow (which I am obviously trying to avoid).

Attached: 960.jpg (960x540, 43K)

stop using a complete garbage micro usb cable

I did and bought a canakit power adapter that seems to be the de facto standard for adapters.

>bought RasPi 3 B+
>bought SATA adapter board (image related, uses a USB bridge)
>slapped a 1TB HDD in there
>set the OTP fuse to boot from USB
>now have Debian installed on the HDD
>added a mouse, monitor, and keyboard
>use it as a tiny low-power desktop
>compiled and installed CDE as the GUI
>even got DTlogin running nicely
It's basically a tiny UNIX workstation now. There are literally no good apps for ARM so I pretty much use it for web browsing in Firefox ESR, Libre Office, and then some text editing in Emacs and Nano. It's one of the comfiest machines I own, right up there with my SGI O2.

Attached: Raspberry-Pi-X800-SATA-Expansion-Board.jpg (640x507, 78K)

Fuck all. I dust it once in a while. Can't think of a single thing it is useful for.

Sucks as a NAS, and I have too many machines I can run my IRC client on already. There's emulators, but I can play those on my regular desktop computer.