Just imagine competing with this

Just imagine competing with this.
They nailed the entire operating system down. This year will be the year of the Linux desktop

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-05-28 21-34-13.png (1920x1200, 3.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

computerweekly.com/blog/Open-Source-Insider/International-Space-Station-adopts-Debian-Linux-drops-Windows-Red-Hat-into-airlock
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

cursed image

But I don't want dumb fag pajeets ruining my Linux circle. That's the only bubble left for my depressed ass

>having a good looking os is somehow a negative

That's not very good looking

sauce on wallpaper

>This year will be the year of the Linux desktop
>letting your system automatically update is still liable to break your system

Ubuntu is great. Gnome a shit tho.

>letting your system automatically update is still liable to break your system
Why are you talking about Windows here?

Attached: Screenshot_20180529_092252.png (1920x1080, 2.25M)

lol typical linuxfag
Any modern desktop computer should be set to automatically update -- this includes Linux desktops. Ubuntu has such facilities, as do the other major Linux Desktop distros.
Yet every single fucking one breaks the system once every 3 months in my experience, at minimum, sometimes more often. And fixing it (and occasionally, even booting it) isn't straightforward and wastes fucking hours of my day to get it back in working order.

Typing this from my BSD desktop. Much better experience.

I was talking about the
>This year will be the year of the Linux desktop
part. I don't want it go mainstream, and have to look at fags who can't properly use a terminal

that's a wallpaper, five icons and a screenfetch.
What's your point?

Linux is a kernel; a program in a system.

>break every 3 months
>takes hours to fix
>in my experience
Have you considered that it's not a linux problem, but a you problem?

>break every update
>takes hours to fix
>in my experience
Have you considered that it's not a windows problem, but a you problem?
You're holding it wrong.

>linux desktop distro (e.g. ubuntu) installs its updates
>won't boot anymore
>is my fault
Yes, I suppose it is my fault, because I was dumb enough to be bamboozled into using a Linux distro again.
I'm an end user -- I use my computer to program and for casual use. I don't care to waste my fucking time mastering and applying the skills of an sysadmin.
Linux will never be a competent desktop OS as long as Linux devs refuse to distinguish between the role of a sysadmin and an end user.

You got the wrong board then.
GNU+Linux has been desktop ready for a long time. Even my grandmother is using Linux Mint successfully. You are officially less capable of using computers than my grandmother. It's not because GNU+Linux would be bad, it's just you.
Posted from my Debian laptop

Seeing as I've been using BSD on my dev machine for years now, it's pretty obvious that the issue isn't me, it's Linux.
Go ahead, google "linux update breaks". Seems that a lot of updates to fix spectre/meltdown was just fucking up a lot of people's systems, especially.
When Linux distros can't reliably push out updates to major vulnerabilities like this without fragging people's systems, it's not ready as a desktop system. Simple as that.
> Even my grandmother is using Linux Mint successfully.
Seeing as Linux Mint was one of the systems that was breaking all fuck when the spectre/meltdown vulnerabilities were patched, congratulations, then either 1) your grandmother was lucky, or 2) she's running a computer without recent updates.
In which case, congrats, you've set your grandmother up to either get her computer fragged, or you set your grandmother up to have her computer's vulnerabilities exploited.

Linux Mint doesn't shove updates on your face, there's a little icon in the tray that indicates there are some available. People update it when they feel like it. Pretty much how it goes in other distros as well, and totally opposite how it goes in Windows. Your personal level of competence is the deciding factor how recent packages do you want in your system. If you can't solve issues yourself you stick with the LTS versions. There's not an area in the whole world where a developer only writes perfect code 100% of the time. If it just came out it might have errors. Also having compatible hardware is obviously recommended.

As for my grandmother, I often ask her if she has had any issues with her computer that I should take a look at. She always says no, even when she had multiple issues while using Windows. If she wants something she knows where to turn to, giving her a peace of mind using Mint. I also use GNU+Linux on a daily basis so I could never agree that it's not ready for desktop.

As for your BSD system, I'm guessing it's barely usable and highly minimal which reduces the amount of stuff that breaks. GNU+Linux has way more packages and users, which of course creates more users with issues as well. That's why it might seem like it's somehow worse. I should also point out that this chain of replies includes multiple people disagreeing with you, I only have the one.

>Linux Mint doesn't shove updates on your face
The old "it doesn't break if you don't update!" argument. Because I *love* having a system full of bugs and vulnerabilities.
> There's not an area in the whole world where a developer only writes perfect code 100% of the time. If it just came out it might have errors.
Yet BSD has developed a reputation of being stable even when you're consistently updating.
>As for your BSD system, I'm guessing it's barely usable and highly minimal which reduces the amount of stuff that breaks.
Full X-based desktop, xfce, with functionality that meets or exceeds what I'd otherwise get on Linux.
Relatively minimal, but without any real sacrifice.

> Be microsoft
> Automatic updates
> Breaks app data redirect

>install Ubuntu 18.04 on tablet
>no driver for Intel Z3537f SoC audio
>google for hours
>just integrate source from older Ubuntu and recompile kernel lel
>reinstall windows

>The old "it doesn't break if you don't update!" argument. Because I *love* having a system full of bugs and vulnerabilities.
Yeah you better get used to it, given how that's always the case. There's no system without bugs and vulnerabilities. They are being patched every time someone finds one, but like I said if you don't want anything to break you stick with LTS releases. If you absolutely must have a patch for something as soon as possible then you take care of the testing yourself.
>Yet BSD has developed a reputation of being stable even when you're consistently updating.
Yet Linux spreads like a wildfire and gains more users and use-cases all the time. It's almost as if BSD wouldn't be equally functional. It doesn't have the potential to be for expert users and novice users at the same time. If it doesn't have any features it doesn't have a lot of bugs either.
>Relatively minimal
Yeah it figures. You might be able to run Vim in it successfully but that wouldn't satisfy even a marginal amount of users. GNU+Linux constantly becomes more attractive for professionals as well as home users. For the second group it even has a native Steam client, Spotify client, Discord client, Telegram client, Whatsapp client, Chrome and all kinds of stuff now. There might be a hacky way to get them to BSD as well but that's not what the original developers had in mind, they are only supporting Linux versions. Not to mention how it's possible to make GNU+Linux so stable that even ISS considers it to be a good option.
>computerweekly.com/blog/Open-Source-Insider/International-Space-Station-adopts-Debian-Linux-drops-Windows-Red-Hat-into-airlock

It's common knowledge that updates keep breaking windows
On linux... only if using arch I guess

It's one of the defaults for Ubuntu 18.04

> Yet every single fucking one breaks the system
> Typing this from my BSD desktop
You have a new ABI every other release. "experience", my ass.