Networking thread

Why aren't there any networking threads? Let's make one then. Starting with a question...

Looking to get a new router. Which one is the best overall? We're about 10 house members with 20 devices. Unfortunately I'm limited to these devices:

Asus:
>RT-AC88U (AC3100)
>AC87U (AC2400)
>RT-AC3200
>RT-AC5300
>GT-AC5300 (ROG)

Netgear:
>X6 AC3200
>X8 AC5300
>R7000 AC1900

Linksys:
>WRT 32X
>AC5400 MU-MIMO
>WRT 3200ACM
>Velop AC6600 (3 pieces)

TP-Link:
>AC5400 Archer

D-Link:
>AC5400 (red pyramid)

Wired and powerline are not options unfortunately, only wireless.
Discuss Tomato, DD-WRT and firmware as well!

Attached: 1519282049160.jpg (784x519, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-3100.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>All this consumer-grade bullshit
Just get an enterprise access point desu

We actually need a new router, our old Cisco E4200 is losing its shit.

For a WAP, I've been eyeing the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-SHD, but I'm not quite sure how it works. I've read about PoE, and I don't think any of our devices can do that. We've got Optic Fibers if that might help. Or does it simply just need A/C power and a normal Ethernet cable?

Attached: 1524837929224.jpg (996x720, 98K)

PoE does what it says. The only wire you'll need to run is ethernet. But the device the WAP connects to will need to support it.

For a router, why not set up a pfSense box? Just about any computer with two NICs will do.

Welp, I don't think our shit supports PoE. Would an PoE adapter suffice for Enterprise-grade devices?

We don't have a spare computer unfortunately, I would be willing to try otherwise.
Another factor is that our ISP is pretty tight on controlling our own network (and in general), so its very difficult to have such a custom setup.

I can't run wires, I would have to nag my landlord. In the worst case, would running a powerline into a WAP be reasonably acceptable?

Attached: 1523462261078.png (1008x720, 460K)

Just get some used:

Routers: 2921, pretty much all fancy routing features, PBRs, VRF-lite, NAT, etc.

Switches: Used 3750x. PoE versions will cost a fuck ton but you can use injectors instead, 3750x is goodamn solid and has L3 features too. You can even use these as routers if you don't want some features like NAT

Moving in a week and will probably need to pick up my own modem and router. Never had to do my own networking before. It's just going to be my desktop and a few wireless devices on a moderate

Attached: P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.jpg (500x500, 25K)

I am honestly stuck at this same point. I NEED to get a new router, but the enterprise options just won't work where I live.

Isn't the RT-AC88U a better option?

If you can get PoE, then Ubiquiti would be a solid option it seems... But I'm as clueless as you are...

Attached: 1523460879618.jpg (512x447, 39K)

Can a repeater / wireless extender """extend""" the signal of an access point?

Attached: 1517101935764.jpg (584x530, 216K)

Zyxel Keenetic

Recently picked up the Asus rt-ac68u and am happy. Flashed Merlin into it. 3 fairly heavy household users with at least 15 devices + home server

Sounds nice, would the RT-AC88U be an acceptable upgrade?
I hope it can be used with custom firmware too.

I would assume it's the same, except better. That being said the newer revisions of the 68u are upgraded to essentially the 88u specs, so I need to use the 88u firmware NOT 68u firmware. Not sure if the 88u also got an upgrade though.

I think I bricked by Asus RT-N66U. I tried flashing the LTS fork of MerlinWRT via the Firmware Restoration Tool, it went all the way through uploading the .trx and "System Recovery" only to tell me at the end that it couldn't connect with the router and that it wasn't in Recovery Mode. I tried the miniCFE WebUI, tftp, still nothing, it just boots right back into recovery mode and doesn't accept images. What do?

Attached: 1523360028230.jpg (470x501, 57K)

what's the OP image from

Buy it, if you don't have a PoE switch there's no problem, ubiquiti includes a PoE injector in the box.

>Not using pfsense
Just get something like this if you dont want to build your own box:
>netgate.com/solutions/pfsense/sg-3100.html

男子高校生の日常

thank

Attached: drums.gif (320x180, 843K)

>having any kind of buyers dilemma on network solutions

You max out on the broadband capacity you are willing to pay for and then choose a router based on needs x requirements + budget = router.

Just make sure it has at least ac wifi.

Why does my network speed register as 1.23mb/s, when the actual data transfer is clearly 150kb/s?

Attached: speedtestcapture.png (785x464, 24K)

If you're using wireless, that's probably why. The speed from your router to the test site is fine, but the speed from your computer to the router is shit. Try doing a speed test when you're connected with a cable and see if it's closer to what you would expect.

I am, and that makes sense. Thank you.

I upgraded from a DIR-828 B1 to a RT-AC68U with Asus Merlin.

It's pretty good, I run at least a TB of traffic through it monthly. Couple thousand BT and server connections at any given time, and over 10 wireless clients.

Couldn't afford the 8X series as those are fing expensive.

1 Mbps = 1 megaBIT per second = 1/8th of 1 MB/s (megaBYTE per second).