Cs degree vs bootcamp

computer science degree vs going to a coding bootcamp
which one is more valuable for getting a high paying job that wont become irrelevant in the next 10-20 years?
should i go to a coding bootcamp then get a job and then get a computer science degree?
wat do

Attached: BF8E976F-07C2-455D-9540-70F41F56187A.jpg (884x750, 624K)

>higher education system that has worked for centuries vs hipster buzzword
really makes you think huh

Attached: pepebot.png (229x220, 9K)

tell me which one is better then

Neither. If you love what you do you shouldn’t need to pay someone to shove knowledge down your throat, just practice like a madman every single day and never stop until you die.

thats going to depend on the bootcamp I guess.

>work on it for 10 hours a day everyday
>you still get paid less than someone that got straight Cs in college
Lol

self study >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cs degree

Attached: CS guide.png (1068x1142, 178K)

I employ people who went to college.

what do you mean by this?

That being said, 99% of the grads I interview are useless in every way. No passion, no skill, just an “I deserve a job” attitude.

Seven easy steps:
1- Go to a good
2- Get good grades
3- Find good internships
4- Get good letters of recommendatio
5- Do good publishable research
6- Do well on standardized tests. (GRE)
7- Get into a good grad school

P.S. - Don't be a faggot

i havent really tried it yet but im sure i will enjoy the type of work that revolves around coding and computer science
im just not sure wether i can afford a CS degree, that is why im considering a bootcamp

can you type properly dude

Oh shit, try a bit first.
Not everyone will like coding man

Think of it this way. Yes most people think Paris is nice. I mean it sure is a good city. But a lot of people get disappointed going there. Only the best of the best hotels are good. The museums are good only if you get a tour with the assistant curators.

Sorry man, am on mobile

thanks user
ill start on html and go from there :)

You won’t know until you breathe it in. It’s such a large all encompassing field so give it a chance to inspire you.

What? This is what I meant when I said the one thing you always need to keep in mind. The one thing Jow Forums keeps telling every newfag over and over again.(Other than install Gentoo)
It's "Don't be a faggot"

go study math, brainlet

>CS
>Math
Pick one idiot

thats ok lol

>worked for centuries
>in a field that has existed less than 100 years

user I don't think you get the concept of centuries

You sir are most certainly a pajeet

what the fuck do you mean lol?

Just learn yourself with online resources
You don't need to pay anyone

what should i start on then jesus christ

field doesn't matter

>Thinks CS is somehow disjointed from the rest of the knowledge domains.
>Is a pajeet
>Definitely a "koder"
This is what happens when a man loves to shit on the street, rub his anus with his bare fingers and sniff 'em.

>anyone that thinks differently to me is indian

OK let me explain what I meant to someone like you.

Would you send someone who wanted to become a blacksmith to university? Or would you make them an apprentice? Highly likely the latter.
I believe programming to be a trade like this, a learned thing rather than something that can be taught academically.

Don’t listen to the retards, HTML is a fine starting point. Maybe try python or C# after that. You could try using unity game engine to make some things and just have fun, plenty of tutorials out there.

yea i have always wanted to get into python. thanks for the help

so you want to be a code monkey and not a computer scientist then
enjoy your bootcamp, pajeet. it seems tailor-made for you

leave the mathematics and engineering to the academics

I'd agree with - Jow Forums is notoriously hostile and full Jow Forums of late, so pay them no attention.
I'd personally say python first, but starting on markup and working from there isn't a bad idea.

Just stay away from C and Java until you've got the basic concepts, because they can be a little... unforgiving for newcomers.

lol you arent replying to OP by the way

>full Jow Forums
obsessed.

thank you :)))

Yes please listen to this.
No, you won't burn out in the middle.

Attached: images(3).jpg (553x554, 26K)

>thinking the person i reply to is more important than the argument
go back to india you disgusting filth

A tradesman can be as skilled as a scientist, just in different areas.
CS and programming are very different skills. I have never in my line of work seen a CS graduate program acceptably. But they can go deep into system better than I.

It's what you're good at, at the end of the day.

>multiple ) emoticon
don't tell me, romania?
I've only ever seen that version of :) from there

lmao whats got your manlet choad in a knot mate
im not from india either you gimp i was tryna have a civilised discussion with everyone about how to get a career in tech and then theres retards like you who come and be fuckwits all the time
can you please fuck right off you imbecile

no im not from romania

ooh, interesting.
First time I've seen :))) spread outside of there, then

>Implying all the CS grads are idiots
>Implying all the research that's gone into CS could somehow be done by a codemonkey who thinks recursion is the shizz or something like Template Metaprogramming is never really used anywhere

>academics
>producing anything of value ever
Industry is where the real innovation happens, shouldn’t you be copy pasting another paper right now?

Lol 'lil peen from mumbai got Triggered.
Go back to shilling curry you faggot.

>>Implying all the research that's gone into CS could somehow be done by a codemonkey

Is that not literally the point of research user?
Those that research find new and better ways to do things, those on the ground eventually use them "in the field", as it were

See: Literally any research field. NASA researches material, frying pan manufacturer uses it

i dont know what youre talking about but ive heard that cs grads can pick up coding pretty quickly once they graduate. also having a degree in cs gets you more interviews with bigger companies and gives you something good on your resume

>Implying academics have nothing to do with the industry
You do know that the best of best research centers funded by the industry are literally situated "Inside" academic campuses for a reason right?
Or do you also have a malaria fetish?

>I have never in my line of work seen a CS graduate program acceptably.
if you only look at graduates form ITT Tech then I wouldn't be surprised by that experience
you really need to get your head out of your ass if you think someone with a Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD in CS from a reputable university can't program acceptably

please reread the first post you quoted; it implies the opposite of what you implied it implies

>no one in industry has an academic education
>no one in industry is a PhD or an academic
>academia and industry don't intersect at all
>academic papers have no merit
i guess this is an understandable perspective from a grocery store clerk

i think you misread his post
the codemonkeys are incapable of carrying out the research; otherwise, they wouldn't be codemonkeys

This is damn solid, I like it.
>7iii. and iv. will trigger the unhireables

The worst code I have *EVER* seen came from a PhD (from a major university)
Like, absolutely unreadable.
Qualifications do not make you somehow amazing.

Fuck you you stupid ameriburger faggot

Nice bait. I graduated with a 4.0 GPA from a top school. I could easily go to grad school, get a PhD, and do research. The reason I don't is because it pays like shit. I get way more money being a "codemonkey" that spends 2 hours a day writing ReactJS apps.

That's just the case of a different skillset then. Some people are good at making things, some are good at thinking about it. Some are good at both, sure, but that's a rarity.

You're literally too stupid for CS pal, if you can't even comprehend a simple post online.

that doesn't mean that academics can't code
the fact that you can't differentiate those two concepts shows me your lack of critical thinking

Attached: 687A8BA6-FF5D-4E62-8B7D-0B6B1956996F.jpg (374x394, 32K)

>replies to their own post
how sad can you be

No, it's an exception that disproves the rule though. Qualification does not imply ability. Therefore it cannot be said either that lack of qualification implies lack of ability

If you really believe this, you're beyond any hope mate. Please think about things again.
I hear farming is lucrative.

I took chemical engineering in university, just graduated last month. Learned most of the math CS students at our school learned minus algorithms. Do I stand a chance at becoming hireable?

i knew the topic etc. just didnt know why you were replying i just wanted to say what i said lol

"Coding bootcamps" are fucking worthless. I decided to take a chance and hire a kid with coding bootcamp experience and he was completely clueless

Superiority complex much? Are you compensating for something? Did you daddy do bad things to you? Where did he touch you? It’s okay you can trust me, you’re safe now he can’t hurt you anymore.

elaborate on how he was useless please

>I have never in my line of work seen a CS graduate program acceptably.
there. that's your original statement. if you can't understand what the implications of that statement are and how my replies relate to it you're beyond help. if you're intentionally moving goal posts, then go fuck yourself

>beyond hope
It's what I've seen in a so-called "top" company (although I think that's a silly categorisation). Nothing more.

It's all well and good to be elitist with "I know esoteric data structures therefore everyone else is inferior", but it's not gonna get you very far. Especially not in your colleagues' opinions.
I think it's worth acknowledging that strengths *do* differ from person to person, and being hyper academic doesn't make you intrinsically superior to someone more trade inclined.

that wasn't even me, faggot
get a grip

Lol he’s right though, most CS students are just as bad as boot campers when it comes to programming. 99% are just “I heard it pays well so I got this degree where’s my job?” when they show up to an interview.

>Well I tried sticking my gingus in his googah, and it wouldn't spread wide enough.
Just cuz bootcamp kids don't take all your stupid shit as complicitly as the academic faggot kids. Doesn't mean you can come herw and make stupid shit about their abilities pal
Please go back to fucking Pakistan or what ever shithole you come from

>Never had a CS degree
>Never gone to a bootcamp
Do you hate everyone who is even marginally productive? You stupid manchild?

>"I know esoteric data structures therefore everyone else is inferior"
literally nothing you would learn in an undergraduate CS program is esoteric by any means
it's all very standard, very important, very basic stuff for any programmer worth their salt and your insistence that these bootcamp scams are a good replacement for an undergraduate education is laughable

if you honestly think that you can make it past the first semester of a graduate CS program without knowing how to program competently then i just don't know what to tell you
i would ask you to take your head out of your ass but that would require some world-class surgery

OP here
so basically you guys just dont give a fuck and will put shit on a degree and bootcamps
pretty helpful i guess

i wish i could murder you through the internet for making this post

lots of russians do this

>Implying I need to do either of those things in order to be productive
P L E B I A N

if you honestly think a CS PhD from a good university "pays like shit" compared to a code monkey position then you just don't know how to sell yourself and your education
no amount of education can change the fact that you are uninventive, uncreative, and complacent with mediocrity

have you ever even set foot in a university? Even 3rd year students on course for the MSc I was on were utter garbage.
They're taught to program through lessons and strict procedure, and their output is... underwhelming as a result.
I believe, if you truly want to program, you are able to self-teach a very large proportion of anything you'll ever need to use in a workplace.

welcome to Jow Forums, where the only praise goes to 2 dimensional 10 year old children. If you didn't come out the womb with your own kernel, you're literally worth less than dirt.

>I believe, if you truly want to program, you are able to self-teach a very large proportion of anything you'll ever need to use in a workplace.
i don't disagree with you if this is your only message. the insistence in this thread that bootcamp or self-study is somehow equivalent or superior to academic study is ridiculous

just for your information, since you brought it up, i'm a math phd, transferred from a very reputable CS program into math

You are taught how to program competently in the first semester you idiot. You not knowing this only means you never went to college.
And now you want to say stupid ahit online to feel superior.
The course in my own college used Diettel and Diettel to supplement K&R. They make sure you learn the best most updated stuff.
You would have known this, but you never went to college did you?

oh and if you dare differ from the general consensus you'll get labelled whatever the pejorative of the week is.
Not a particularly good environment for newbies.

good luck though OP, on whatever you end up doing

lmao toppest of kek

How much do you make then oh so great member of academia? I guarantee I make more with only a bachelors and 2 years of experience.

computer science has existed since man invented numbers. It's just an extension of mathematics and logic.

That higher education system is based on the same stuff it was all those centuries ago, back when only law, medicine and theology were deemed respectable enough to merit higher study.
The same institutions, on the same principles, using the same methods are supposed to teach you something invented in the last century that is ever changing.
CS degrees are a racket and the only ones who care about them more than what you can actually do are HR workers who hold their social/gender studies degree very close to their heart indeed.

thanks user
from what i can see im assuming the pejorative of the week is pajeet

Get the fuck otta here you newfag

>You are taught how to program competently in the first semester you idiot
reread my first sentence carefully
then carefully insert a bullet in your skull, faggot

if you expect a serious response:

get a degree, work on personal projects, get involved in bootcamps whatever the fuck those are. a degree is expected in most places. genuine interest in the area is extremely valued, so have personal projects. bootcamps can be useful for meeting the right people who might get you into some cool jobs.

keyboard warrior

Dirty pajeet

thanks for a legitimate answer
much appreciated

oh i make 8 figures and i'm the personal aide to the president
i also spearhead the NSA in my free time
all of this is, of course, readily verifiable since i'm an anonymous internet poster
christ you're such a pathetic faggot

Ooh look at me, I know...

not even BRUV

Holy shit who let someone with an actual brain into this thread? Someone call a mod.