Need help installing win7 on NVME drive

Need help installing win7 on NVME drive.

So I've successfully injected drivers before a few years ago on my PC for a revo drive.
This time, I inject the drivers in to the win 7 bootable USB. The nvme drive which didn't show up as an option before is now detected by windows install. Install goes fine but on first boot windows goes into a boot loop.
Booting into safe mode system hangs on loading "drives" driver.
The tool I'm using to inject drivers is from gigabyte, the intel one did not work and hung on initialising dism.

Linux fags fuck off, I dual boot linux. I built this computer for my mum and all she knows is windows, I'm not interested in windows 10.

Attached: samsung_mz_v7e500bw_500gb_970_evo_nvme_1398240.jpg (2500x2500, 453K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.4
ark.intel.com/products/126685/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Windows 7
nope

Try 8.1 + classic shell then I guess.

not a bad idea, I used that setup on my laptop a few years ago. I'll think about it, thank you.

my current line of thinking is the drivers I have been injecting are too old for the new sam 970evo. But if that's the case then install shouldn't have completed anyway.

Your mother needs an NVMe drive?

Easier to install windows on a sata drive and use Samsung data migration to clone across once drivers are done

She's gonna have this computer for a long time. It's gonna type emails, watch youtube and netflix for the next 15~20 years, needs to boot fast, Nvme drive is small, storage drive is raid 1 mechanical.
The build is a super sexy itx mb in the tiniest case I could find. I'll post a pic.

this is a very good idea, I'm going to play round with this now

Attached: 2018-05-28 07.00.49.jpg (1327x1071, 1.08M)

What case is that?

And it couldn't fit a regular SSD or just didn't want to?

Inwin chopin
It has 2 mechanical drives in raid 1. 250gb drive is just for os and programs. It was $120 for the drive. If there was a smaller capacity I would have bought it but it's fine

Attached: 20180528_031216.jpg (4128x2322, 2.9M)

>buying an NVME drive for your mum
Should have just bought her some flowers.

That's not how nerds work man, you buy some cool gadget and make her a kick ass build when all she wanted was to check yahoomail and like garden pictures from her neighbor friend.

Why not windows 10?

Haha yeah here's another picture. Did I mention it's a mildly overclocked undervolted 8600k with 16gig of ddr4?

Attached: 20180530_004036.jpg (4128x2322, 2.75M)

That's my last resort. I don't like it personally, but there are things about it I like. The whole idea of this build is small, silent and overkill to still be able to play 8k or whatever netflix in 15 years time.

>It's gonna type emails, watch youtube and netflix for the next 15~20 years
>implying the mobo or any other part is going to last even 10 years.
Also you hopefully do realize that Windows 7 is only getting security updates until January 2020.
You'll either have to migrate the system then or your mom will join a botnet and mine cryptocurrency until that overclocked 8600k burns the house down.

Try 2016 ltsb, disable automatic updates and some telemetry if you care about it, your mom won't have problems with it I think. Why do you want windows 7 especifically?

>>implying the mobo or any other part is going to last even 10 years.
the PC she's using now is 11 years old, still rock solid but getting old. Was never top end.
>Also you hopefully do realize that Windows 7 is only getting security updates until January 2020.
I'm the security updates

I'm running that myself with all that shit disabled to be able to play sea of thieves with some friends. I still just don't like it.

>I'm the security updates
enjoy your botnet

Wow!
That build is gorgeous!
I'm looking up that case now if only it had a GPU.
Nice cable management too any more pics?

>win7 on NVME
kill yourself, you stupid fucking brainlet

>storage drive is raid 1
raid is not backup, you dumb fucking mongoloid. i can tell you're a dumb fucking mongoloid because you want to install windows 7 and not 10.

if all she needs to do is browse the fucking internet and write emails, why no just install xubuntu?

my god, you people are fucking retarded

Thanks man. Not really, what do you want to see?

Attached: 20180528_023907.jpg (4128x2322, 3.21M)

It needs to be able to play 8k video in the future
But I said fuck off linux fags

>injected drivers

Attached: 1512333059110.jpg (1186x860, 62K)

>I'm the security updates
Please tell me you're joking and not actually retarded

Attached: What the fuck guys.jpg (700x407, 67K)

New to this stuff. Can I ask why is raid not a backup? If you have (I assume OP has 2 drives) if one fails you just replace the other? ?
Raid 1 is the duplicated one right? You could just take the drive out if you had to and copy it?

>not interested in windows 10

Attached: 1520545933497.png (703x911, 19K)

Just put Linux on it OP she'll learn. A baby could learn. It's intuitive and natural but best of all you own your hardware. Plus it's free.
There are distros that look and behave like windows. Don't listen to the guys here even windows 10 ltsb is a botnet.

Holy shit.
I think I'm going to buy that case for a HTPC.

this kid is a dipshit, let his build die in a fire of ineptitude

oh I'm so sorry for offending you Jow Forums
My mother picked the wrong operating system, such a blasphemy.
>let his build die in a fire of ineptitude
Guess I'll just throw it in the trash now

I don't understand why doing this is bad

I actually like it. Windows 7 is a weird choice. But the build is solid.

Wait, can you not use W7 on an M.2 ssd?

Did you set CSM boot in the UEFI?
Did you try simply loading driver during installation instead of injecting it?
Did you try any manuals found on the internet?

Attached: E7Z99.png (470x352, 47K)

You think you'll be able to make "security updates" for Windows 7 by yourself?

I need a name for this case, my dude. Looks fucking perfect for my home gym.

>Did you set CSM boot in the UEFI?
Will check now
>Did you try simply loading driver during installation instead of injecting it?
No drives appear to install to. That option is not available. I could add a sata drive to reach that step in install and try that
>Did you try any manuals found on the internet?
Yes many, Intel even has a video series produced for organizations which worked for install but got me sick in a boot loop. They recommend injecting.

Thanks for the ideas

Inwin chopin
It's full aluminium and quite heavy. Nice build quality too.

install win 7 to a sata drive, then install official samsung nvme drivers, then clone the image to nvme

or just use win10

My god that's pretty.

I would have just sprung for a large SSD and offsite backup. Why the local redundancy?

look at those ebin digits

>sprung for a large SSD
boot drive can be small, raid 1 on mechanical is plenty fast so as to not need a ssd.
>offsite backup. Why the local redundancy?
Why not have local redundancy? I don't save all my personal data and pictures on the cloud, it's mine, not the cloud's.

I feel you with the win7.

I recently updated my mom's from XP -> Win10 and it's been a nightmare for her.

The thing constantly wants to reboot for updates and for life of me I can't get the screen to auto-sleep the way it did with XP. Starting to wonder if there's a way to downgrade it desu.

+1
Why all the hate for windows 7?
OP isn't actually a retard. He's building a badass computer for his mom.
Are you guys just autistic?
Not everyone likes linux.
Some people have had sex before and if he's her son we can assume OP's mom has.

>You think you'll be able to make "security updates" for Windows 7 by yourself?
do people actually update? I always turn auto updates off, never been a problem.

Those are regular shills, ignore them

>raid is not backup, you dumb fucking mongoloid
Anyone got that screencap of the like 20tb raid 0 failing?

Unironically you should try with Linux.
My mom uses a dinosaur 32-bit PC and doesn't want anything better until the damn thing die for good.
It's not capable of running anything better than XP with decent performance so I installed her Debian with Xfce and she's perfectly satisfied with it.
She uses it mostly to browse web, use email and write some documents, for these simple tasks Linux is good enough even for noobiest of noobs.

OP's pc isn't shit tier though.

You ever check your network traffic to see what's going in and out?

There's a GIGABYTE Windows Image Tool you can use for NVMe and USB drivers on Windows 7 USB Installers. I can't find it right now but it has worked with my Z170 and Intel 600p

Yeah I hear you, I just would have gone for a large SSD for both boot & data and called it a day. I think it may even be cheaper than the 3 drive setup you have.

Local redundancy isn't bad but it's only protecting you from one of the drives failing. But if both drives fail or she gets virus/malware or something else, you may be out of luck. Again maybe it's just preference but I set up cloud backup, at least for my parents, so I wouldn't have to think of it again. Wouldn't do it for MY stuff necessarily though, agreed.

OP here, I dual boot linux, I use it regularly.
I like linux in it's place.
For one chrome doesn't work right and that's what she'll be using most. How do I install microsoft word without wine? will she understand what wine is? how will I install her proprietary camera usb drivers? will her samsung phone syncing software install? will our old laser printer which doesn't even have mac drivers work ok? can linux stream to the television in the loungeroom through our shitty roku thing under the tv?
I'm just going to skip the headache.

Then OP may consider using KDE instead of Xfce.
But seriously now, Linux is pretty decent sensible for users with simple needs and poor knowledge, at last you know they almost certainly won't break the system or catch some malware.

>hardware raid controller or non ECC ram error gets wrote out to your disk
>duplicated effort happens
>uh oh which disk is the right one?

This is why hardware raid is crap and you need software based raid with checksums and hashing.
ie Raidz via ZFS or bcachefs/btrfs

without using the pc 90% of traffic is chrome auto update

>8k
Is that just the 8600k playing 8k? How did you determine that? Just wondering cause I'm also looking at upgrading and using integrated GPU only.

OP here, that's the one I used to successfully install. But during patching/injecting it says "failed to add drivers" the usb still runs the install though and the drive detects. Then boot loop.

It would be painful. I'd need to migrate her Firefox and Thunderbird perfectly or I would be hearing about it all day long.

And for that pain there would need to be some tangible benefit for me. I only see costs, especially if something goes wrong.

Try rewriting the ISO to the USB and trying it again, that worked for me.

OP,
I understand you like the idea of one drive, but redundancy is important. Besides am I going to teach her to upload all her stuff? Won't she just keep a shortlist on the pc before she decides it's worth uploading even if she's the only one who'll see it? That'll just mean stuff will never get backed up. Raid is just automated. not 100% but unless the PC gets thrown at the wall or the house burns down I'm fine with it.

Personally in my rig I use raid 5 and it saved me. Everything of course is probability, but it's unlikely for 2 drives to fail simultaneously. One failed and I didn't loose 8TB of my shit, replaced the drive and the raid is still running, that is a hardware raid controller but I've used recovery software even if the controller fails you can recover the data even with a non raid motherboard and no controller.

>hardware raid is crap and you need software based raid
every I'm here I read something ridiculous and contradictory

What do you use on Windows? SnapRAID + DrivePool + ... ?

8600k plays 8k just fine, check your mainboard supports the right display port and hdmi standard. it's more the mainboard. Display port 1.4 can do 8k at 60hz. Hdmi 2.1 I think is needed.

>ZFS
that's not how you spell NTFS

Please show me a 8600k playing 8K video.

By cloud backup I mean like Backblaze for the whole computer, not Dropbox or something. So all automatic. And you would have versioning and an offsite backup.

My folks are in Florida so I just thought it'd be better for fire, flood, biblical plagues, etc.

By the way, do you always prefer hardware? Seems like many have gone over to the software equivalents now.

>I'd need to migrate her Firefox and Thunderbird perfectly or I would be hearing about it all day long.
It's actually very simple, you just need to copy your user directories from Windows and paste to Linux. Literally 5 minutes of work and everything should work perfectly.

I really don't intend to indoctrinate you, I assume you probably know what do you need, but since you asked questions...
>For one chrome doesn't work right
I don't use Chrome, but since Google released Linux version, I'm sure there is some solution to whatever problem you have. I use Chromium-based Vivaldi and it always worked perfectly fine.
>How do I install microsoft word without wine?
Are you sure she needs it? Libre Office is good enough for 95% of users, unless they need some advanced Excel functionality.
>how will I install her proprietary camera usb drivers?
Yeah, tf it doesn't work OOTB it probably won't at all.
>will her samsung phone syncing software install?
Probably no, but I think you could resolve it by using FreeFileSync or other software.
>will our old laser printer which doesn't even have mac drivers work ok?
I actually think it should.
>can linux stream to the television in the loungeroom through our shitty roku thing under the tv?
Never tried it to be honest.

start with this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#1.4
and I'll see if I can find something. But that processor can easily do it. You can game on that processor and it's igpu

This. I'm just curious what you read/searched for, because I always have a hard time judging whether an integrated GPU will play something well. I've always found poorer real-world performance.

Did you see like a review or something or other people that did it? Thanks

OP here, the first post you replied to wasn't me.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to the questions. I appreciate your effort. But do you understand that this computer isn't for me? That I understand why linux is good and I use it personally. But there is a reason that people out there in the world do use windows?

It's impossible. According to Intel's official specifications, the UHD 630 that the 8600k uses supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2304@60Hz.
That is slightly higher than 4K/UHD (3840×2160) but worlds away from 8K (7680×4320).

OP is a retard who does not know the difference between 4K and 8K.

Source:
ark.intel.com/products/126685/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz

Attached: Intel UHD 630.jpg (724x763, 79K)

>installing 20 year old operating system on modern hardware
You're just asking for compatibility issues

Attached: 1438802596972.jpg (272x261, 38K)

>do you always prefer hardware
The raid card I'm using I carried across from my old PC. Just took the 5 drives out, installed the drivers and dropped the new card in.
Software and hardware are both fine. Any raid is better than no raid.
Hardware can be read, and recovered by software if the raid card fails. The inverse is not true.
Raid is just simpler and better than a single drive.

>noctua on a shitty build
what a fucking retard, no wonder you can't even install Windows without assistance

Yes, I know, and sorry for derailing your thread.
But hey, I only answered to your questions!

Attached: ff2hWSAabe-4.png (300x250, 35K)

Not OP but come on it's 8 years old, stop being froggy.

ok bro, find me a 37mm heatsink for side panel clearance. You can push it 20 40mm if you like.

>It's impossible
can't peoples just update graphics drivers and it works? ? ? What mainboard he has got? ? ? can't not just instl a half height gpu then pass through the cpus gpu to to it and then all just work ok?

OP here,
I'll deal with that in 10 years.
P.S. fuck you

It's a hardware limitation. There is no getting around that.

Y u mad tho?
Here, I have something 8K for you.

Attached: 1476040927142.jpg (7680x4320, 2.82M)

But is not. Cpu can cpus gpu can. Motherboard can. just to driver update and bios flash
Maybe 2 hdmi or dp cables to 1 monitor ?

>w7
Why?

just get w10 and dualboot with w7 if you absolutely must

>Cpu can cpus gpu can.
It is even more impossible for that CPU to output 8K video than it is for you to spell correctly.

OP here I'm looking at that sweet sweet jpg in 4k
what res are you using?
Also just using 8k as an example, who knows what the future holds? Just an intensive CPU load as an example.

I mean and now I type slow for you
If cpu can process work and decode ok
and gpu is powerful for games
and motherboard has ports for it then why does it not working? ?

see

no but it can

Attached: u.png (806x592, 92K)

>neo-Jow Forums thinks decoding video is the same as outputting video

Attached: sign of kindness.jpg (848x480, 93K)

butt ! ! !

if decode cna do it and output can do it then why can it not do it? ? ?

you are gay homo retard

Attached: 1483826914191.jpg (645x968, 47K)

Attached: 1527613225766.jpg (4011x2100, 3.73M)