Is it over for firefox? It's going to be sub 10% by the end of the year

Is it over for firefox? It's going to be sub 10% by the end of the year.
Is there anything they can even do about it?
>inb4 muh SJW
This is not the reason and you know it. 99% of people aren't even aware of it. The problem is that their competitor literally owns all ads on the internet. You can't compete with this.

Attached: ff.jpg (225x225, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=502908
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=52821
spyware.neocities.org/articles/waterfox.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, it is over for Firefox. Unfortunately.

they keep making dumb decisions
there is no way to disable or add a prompt for ctrl+Q on linux and any addons to achieve it have been broken and blocked by a bug for many years
the bug about having a prompt has been closed as WONTFIX with the reasoning that "lol just disable session restore, why would you need a prompt if your session restores when you start anyways?"
it just reeks of incompetency

also ever since mid to late 4x.0 the browser has been using like constant 50-100% cpu

Glorious Seamonkey Using Master Race.

TENTOB EHT NIOJ

Attached: 1522666793674.png (200x252, 12K)

most people are using phones now and they use whatever comes with it

I'll keep using it as long as it is the best option.

its there but you have to enable it

Attached: asd.png (955x33, 3K)

It does literally nothing.
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=502908

It has more users than Edge despite the force feeding of Microshaft. They'll be fine.

there are 20 year old bugs for this
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=52821

mozilla is even more incompetent than the GTK-devs

most addon devs dropped firefox, might as well use brave or vivaldi at this point

>The problem is that their competitor literally owns all ads on the internet.
The problem is that the devs don't understand who would use their browser in the first place. So the made it a Chrome clone and killed all the extensions, giving basically no one any reason to use it over Chrome.

Even if memezilla tanks or totally abandons ff, it's the most popular free program and Foss developers can sustain it until Armageddon

>Is it over for firefox?
Wouldn't know, no one uses SJWfox here anymore.

Brave for Chrome-based.
Waterfox for Firefox-based.

This but glorious icecat instead

/thread

I always thought people posting shit like this were meming, but Waterfox is unironically better.

And my addons actually work.

It's the next Netscape

>waterfox
spyware.neocities.org/articles/waterfox.html

Attached: bullychan.png (572x800, 504K)

The reason for it is that Chrome now comes with everything, even preinstalled on Windows PCs by many manufacturers. And people just use Google products all the time, it comes naturally to people who don't care about technology that much.

It's sad that this is happening, because Firefox is the only big browser to somewhat respect its users with an ethically acceptable license, making it free software. But you know, you can contribute to this not happening by using Firefox and telling people why they should use it.

Attached: kissa avaruuskulttuuri.jpg (604x415, 90K)

>HyperText Transmission Protocol
>Spyware Level: Medium

>quotes the page without providing any actual argument against the content

Is that your site user?
Please change it you made my eyes bleed ty sweetie

It's also probably linked to the fact that Firefox is literally unusable and too laggy on mobile, and that's where most people browse the web. People use Chrome for that reason alone

i just changed my phone after using firefox on android for 3 years. there is no way to export bookmarks. im done

this. icecat is beautiful

Trickle down leftism killed it.

This basically

Chrome has better addons now. Which was the main reason to use firefox.

It's also much more stable

Chromium is free software

Are you dumb? It works fine. It's NOT supposed to warn you if you have only 1 tab open. It gives a warning when you have multiple tabs open.

>reason to use it over Chrome
Superior UX, UI, customization, privacy.

last time i used it it wouldn't support gdrive which is where all my work is
plus it still opened a new fucking window for downloads, as though it were still 2003 or something
and plugins weren't as ez as chrome.

> It's going to be sub 10% by the end of the year.
Good.
> Is there anything they can even do about it?
Probably not.
> 99% of people aren't even aware of it. The problem is that their competitor literally owns all ads on the internet.
Literally? Fuck you. Even if they did, Mozilla does plenty of outreach. The problem is that normans don’t care what browser they use so long as it works. Given that Chrome was genuinely better than Firefox for the longest time (and still is in a lot of ways), it’s become the ‘default’ option. As soon as Google fucks up bad enough there will be another shift, to what I don’t know.
> You can't compete with this.
Yet Mozilla managed to beat Internet Exploder.

Attached: image.jpg (381x380, 100K)

>weebshit
stopped reading there.

chromium has never been audited to confidently say its free.

Anime site
Also
> implying you’d bother reading anything

Attached: image.jpg (664x602, 260K)

technology board
you have a cont/a/inment board for a reason. use it, scum.

But it does not work. I have 50 tabs open, press ctrl+Q, it instantly closes without any confirmation.
I have all three warning configs set to true in about:config

Maybe it would warn me if I disable "restore previous tabs/session on start" but that is not an acceptable solution to the problem so anyone suggesting that can fuck off.

OPERA SUPERIORITY.

Somebullshit forks nobody ever heard of outside of this board.

>And my addons actually work.
But for how long, you fucking retard? Or did you actually buy into the meme than one fucking dev can basically rewrite an entire browser?

Nice argument. I’m truly in awe.

This criticism is ridiculously unfair to the devs and honestly reeks of shilling by the competition. They killed the old extensions because were based on obsolete tech, and couldn't be supported anymore

it doesn't take much to blow your kind of peoples' minds does it?

>product is objectively better than another
>fails to compete simply because of inertia

MUH "FREE" MARKET

>get extremely laggy after some heavy tab-binging, even after I close these tabs
my working theory is that it caches videos, images, etc. and keeps them cached after I close the tab. I would either like this behavior gone or to at least have some button to manually flush it
>RAM usage
probably extremely related to above, but as my session has gone on longer, it just keeps hanging on to a lot of RAM. this mainly matters because I'm not _only_ browsing the web, so if Firefox has 6/8GB hostage and I go to open a movie in mpv (which caches it in RAM for smooth playback), suddenly things are hanging, my mouse won't move, I have to hope I get back control long enough to kill something, or at worst restart my computer forcefully.
>dependency on pulseaudio
Just seems kind of scummy. Why is it an issue now when it wasn't before? Are they using some pulse-only features as of recently or something?
>dependency on gtk
I don't know what I'm talking about as much here, but such an important browser using gtk seems like a bad idea. A lot of people prefer qt. Maybe it's possible to compile it with qt support instead, I'm actually not sure.
>file picker
related to above, I think, since gtk file picker is universal, but for some reason after I restart Firefox, it forgets my file picker settings. namely the boxes I tick to sort folders before files and show hidden files. I've also had this weird issue where sometimes I can't right click to get to this menu to fix the issue, so I end up taking extra time looking for the folder to save something to.
>web extensions
I care a LOT less than most people, I generally support rewrites, changes, destroying backwards compat, etc. They were even taking suggestions from addon authors whose stuff broke, but as far as I know, all vim addons are still a lot more clunky with the new system. Takes the page loading fully for the bindings to start working, and some pages like the firefox settings and addons pages don't support the bindings.

You're slightly wrong, but I have to ask... If two things are suddenly the same, why would you switch instead of staying with what you had? Firefox webextensions still allow you to do more than Chrome's extensions. The author of ublock explained this, I think.

That's the intended behaviour. Why would it need to warn you if your tabs will be remembered? If you're clumsy enough to close the window by accident then perhaps you should unbind the ctrl+q shortcut.

You really like icecat? I switched to GuixSD near the beginning of the year, and one of the most annoying changes was that I'm stuck with icecat as the only firefox in the repo. Sync is broken, some sites are broken even after disabling _every_ addon it comes with. (I can see hangouts messages from gmail.com, but not send any, and I had some issues with wire.com for a while, but they seem to have been solved), also it's based on old as shit firefox, even older than ESR. I'm on 52.6. I used to use Firefox Nightly, so it really sucks to be on such an old version now.

I can honestly say it's eating shit compared to Brave on my mobile. FF is slow and crashy with 3 plus tabs. Meanwhile Brave is quick and hasn't crashed once. As desktops go, you can use Chrome based or be left behind.

>If you're clumsy enough to close the window by accident then perhaps you should unbind the ctrl+q shortcut.
I don't think you can't, that's his point. I have heard a friend of mine complain about this same thing before. I casually mentioned hitting ctrl-q by accident and he went into a rage about how it happens to him a lot and there's no way to disable it.

I've always used firefox nightly on mobile and I find it to be extremely good. I had some friends using ff stable and having a worse experience. I don't know if this is due to firefox stable for android being actually worse, or if it was related to other issues on their phones, but just thought I'd let you know. You can grab the apk from the mozilla site, and then it has a built-in updater.

>That's the intended behaviour.
yes and that is retarded behaviour
Maybe if every webpage was static with zero state except perhaps how far down you have scrolled
but sites nowadays have ton of state. Fields you have entered text into, login sessions that get cleared when you exit, webgl stuff, threads and so on that have 404d, the list goes on
all that state will be lost with a stray ctrl+Q

it is not like it is something dumb like a windows user pressing alt+F4.
most of the keys around Q are regularly used (ctrl+a, ctrl+s, ctrl+tab, ctrl+w)
To even suggest that it is not an issue indicates a person that barely actually uses the browser

I wish it wasn't the case. I used FF for a long time up until a few years back. Maybe it's time to give it another fair shot, but I have my doubts.

is ctrl+q not a feature of the operating system?

No, it's part of Firefox. I think the shortcut is different or possibly not there on other operating systems, though.

I have no shortcuts I have not set myself with my current window manager.

fugg you're right
haven't been using linux for long, just assumed this was part of Ubuntu's Gnome DE

Mozilla deserves everything that’s happening to them.

>>inb4 muh SJW This is not the reason
It's the root of the problem and you know it, its spread like cancer infecting all parts of the project. They keep slicing off the dead parts and delivering the mutilated remains without addressing the infection.

Attached: Unread Letters From a Friend at the End of the World - FIMFiction.jpg (346x259, 21K)

But people didn't switch for the ads?

They switched because FF was slow and bloated, which you felt if you were on the average potato (and actually still feel) rather than on a Jow Forumsaymen pc with 8gb RAM or more.

Yes, IceCat is Firefox done right. Why would I want to ((sync)) my browser? Sync a web browser is anything but creepy.
With the default settings there are some problems in some specific websites, but it's because of the deplorable state of the web.

>Why would I want to ((sync)) my browser?
because you have a laptop and a desktop?

Oh and then in a me too moment after the remaining users were mostly still around for addon support, they broke that too.

Even before API to support the most popular plugins like downloaders were ready on the new thing.

Absolute shit project management.

Firefox also has been shit for years. Only with Quantum they finally released something that is equal to Chrome.
Since its not massively better and not advertised as much and not bundled with shit normies dont see the need to swap browsers
So yeah its over because Google is too big and they were shit for years before

You didn't answer my question.

Okay, I'll admit your points are completely valid. I have gotten used to having my bookmarks and history with me everywhere, so that I can vaguely remember something and try to find it. Similarly, I have yet to set up a proper password manager, so sometimes I have to check my firefox logins to see what password I use somewhere. I should probably just correct these behaviors.

Although I wasn't really expecting an answer.

This.

>Chromium is free botnet
ftfy

Does Waterfox still support dead and obsolete technology?
If so whats the fucking point in using blue firefox

How many genders do foxes have?
As long as mozilla cannot count to two, Firefox will fail.

It supports ungimped add-ons. I enjoy using a version of tree style tabs that isn't worthless garabge thanks. The browser still uses the old add on framework by the way. They just won't let add on developers use it retard. The only thing Alex has to do is make sure extensions still have access to it. He also back ported most of the dumb Quantum meme shit anyway so waterfox is not "outdated". It's superior in every way to that garbage Mozilla is pumping out.

back to shitlord

t. gender queerfluid technicolor mozillian

The main reason why I stopped using Firefox back in the day was performance, and it's still true to this day. I still remember when I first installed Chrome and everything just worked fucking smooth without jitters and/or artifacts at all whatsoever. The multi-process/threading architecture has a lot to do with it, and that's one part where Firefox dragged their feet and took a metric ton of time to even attempt to implement. And then we had shit like Chrome being the only browser getting a 100/100 acid3 and other benchmarks for literally years and you just get the to a point where it's a no brainer why it keeps gaining market size.

Meanwhile, here they are making their shitty browser even shittier by porting chunks of it to rust. kek

>>inb4 muh SJW
Oh please, we all know this is partly to blame. The company lost their focus. They give more of a fuck about your preferred pronoun and womyn inclusion than they do about making high quality software. I mean, when not even their own devs use their shitty browser you just KNOW something is wrong.

So old and outdated addons no one supports because the userbase is 0. Ok

It makes me happy to see your lineage go extinct.

>firefox
Honestly I don't give a shit about Firefox anymore
A Chromium clone only more buggy, slower and just weird, on Linux at least
>chromium is botnet
Firefox is botnet too and Mozilla is a shitty organization, not as shitty as Google, but still pretty gross

On the other hand, I don't want to loose Thunderbird
In a huge plot twist Thunderbird was always the best software Mozilla made
I'll be sad to see Thunderbird go and I don't know of any other software to replace it

Attached: default256.png (256x256, 74K)

For me, the debugger doesn't work, and when it does I have to constantly copy the URL and opening it in a new tab because it gets all bugged after 30 minutes. I ditched it for chrome just for that

Quantum is worth checking out though.

There really is nothing as good and simple out there for either Windows or Linux.

Nah, The fox is the only way to go.

When CPU usage from other programs is high, Firefox Quantum runs circles around Chrome. Too bad this came do lade.
I also suspect people want automatic translation of webpages like chromium does it, it's still a real killer feature of chrome, even after all these years. Normoes just don't want to have to deal with extensions.

I still love Firefox and try to get other people to use it. I think a few more switched over because of Quantum even though it broke my favorite extension (RIP tab mix plus). Hopefully FF can make a comeback.

KEK

And yet it's true, there's still no substitute for the old vertical tabs addon which had autohiding and removed the tabs bar.

So long as the current ESR is supported XPI add-ons will be updated.

>Vertical Tabs
lmao
Next you are going to tell me you browse in fullscreen

I like to sync because I have a laptop, phone and desktop and I use tough passwords I don't want to memorize. Firefox Sync gives me that.

You're falling into the macfag argument pitfall
>You can't do X
>Well why do you want X?

>Muh outdated
What do I care if the new addons are more recent if they suck.

Mozilla and Firefox need to die so a worthy organization can take its place, Blink/Chromium is objectively better than anything mozilla could ever hope to produce. I’m not comfortable with an advertising company having such a massive chunk of browser market share, but it’s a long term good if mozilla dies now creating a vaccum which another player can hopefully fill

Thunderbird update was delayed?

What's wrong with vertical tabs? Why would I waste vertical space on a 16:9 screen?

>mfw even Edge is better than Firefox

Attached: 20180515_211537.jpg (1080x1920, 1.57M)

This. If you were good at your job would you work for an overbearingly SJW company? no. Anyone with real talent will leave such a company, leaving only whiners and garbage workers.

Let's not say things we can't take back, user

>Not knowing the greatness of vertical tabs
lmao
Next you are gonna tell me you watch videos in the browser

Attached: 1430551529293.jpg (768x960, 141K)

>The problem is that their competitor literally owns all ads on the internet.

Wrong. Mozilla changed fundamentally by allowing binary blobs and "breaking" add-ons in firefox to make it more secure. It's not what it used to be.

Attached: 1527450057372.jpg (1115x1221, 303K)

I dont know how you browse the internet, but I usually have the browser just occupy half the monitor. Vertical tabs are a massive waste of space this way.

Other people do different things though! Why not support both?

Attached: hidden bookmarks bar4u.png (1604x1069, 248K)

But it's true.