Hey Jow Forums

Hey Jow Forums
Do you use vim, gvim or neovim?
What are the advantages of using neovim? Can you use the same config file for vim and neovim?

Attached: neovim.png (360x104, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Elvis/NotesElvis.NM.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

nano, vim is bloated

Nano

Do you guys really use nano? It does not have any keybindings to edit faster (searching, replacing, macros, folding, modes, etc.) or does it?

I don't need any, beacuse i would forget them immediately, so no point.

nano is a memeeditor

Well, you'd learn them during the first week. After that it's worth it.
It's an (small) investment

I use nvim

>What are the advantages of using neovim?
better asynchronous support and therefor faster

>Can you use the same config file for vim and neovim?
yes but it has a different path ~/.config/nvim/init.vim

Neovim is pointless since VIm 8.1

Elvis heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/Elvis/NotesElvis.NM.html

Attached: Elvis.jpg (685x385, 26K)

This. Vim now has all of Neovim's features while having a much higher developer count

Lua instead of vimscript cancer?
Also no, while vim8 did impliment async compatibility, the async is not compatible with neovim async, and neovim has all the async plugins already written for it

Also vim is bloated, neovim has more features with fewer loc

Neovim has better async support, so it and plugins which make use of it are faster. The config file is the same, just in a different location

But because that now Vim is bloated

Vim, but I have started using neovim lately, except for most of the time, because muscle memory. But sometimes I remember.

neovim makes no sense.
Just use a fucking IDE if you want all that crap.
Even vim is getting bloated nowadays.

>just install a lagging 40GB environment instead of that bloated neovim

all of them because I have a life and never get to the point where there are any differences

nvim is buggy, I use the vim from gvim (that is, vim with clipboard support)

Truecolor works for me in nvim but not in vim. I know I have to set some escape characters but honestly I couldn't be bothered.

How is Vim bloated?

I use vis.

>not using straight vi

>not using ed

vim with some plugins, really never need anything else.

I went to gvim from vim, I think just because some wm's play nicer with it. I tried to go to neovim-gtk so that I could use fonts with ligatures then I decided I was being an autist and that neovim was more pain than it was worth.

vim is great though, I use it as my ide for Python, Lisp, Haskell, Lua, even with splits for irc (using ii)

It has features and it allows you to comfortably work with it.
So in Jow Forums terms ,it's bloated and you need to seek something less stable, with less features and most importantly, more obscure (= less users. Can't fell special when you use the same software everyone uses).

Visual Studio Code with Vim plugin. Fite me.

Attached: 9233431-mma-fighter.jpg (866x1300, 68K)

vim

Attached: Dc2eKF3WkAIE-Q9.jpg (550x550, 46K)

>not using vi

>better asynchronous support and therefor faster
Fucking hell, there are widely used editors made with electron, performance is not something vim has ever been lacing.

Use neovim, all community-driven development is taking place in neovim these days; bramware is left playing catchup.

Have you considered not having such a smooth brain? seriously learning a few keybindings for a text editor does not require a high IQ...

It still has amiga compatibility code ffs...

Async is important when you have vimscripts that are running other commands. Traditionally these scripts cause vim to block until they finish. With async support neovim/vim never blocks. It's an important feature for many extensions.

Electron has nothing to do with this conversation. "Async" doesn't mean "javascript".

Nice bait

only that never happens. Vim renders markdown properly for me, try unfucking yourself

how do you get triggered over a vim meme image lmao

>performance is not something vim has ever been lacing.
That's where you are wrong. Even executing the vim script of a sufficient theme takes a while.

sorry i'm hung over as fuck working in vim as we speak. i'm just an aids lord.