/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: 1483816676205.jpg (900x475, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/lenovo_z5_arrive_official_june_5-news-31307.php
youtube.com/watch?v=5Z47gXtbXjw
twitter.com/BBMobile/status/999682125304684544?s=19
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-a8-2018/samsung-galaxy-a8-2018-guides-news--discussion
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

someone tell the yakuza to release XZ2 Premium

Will 5-inch phone ever comeback?

Its out in Japan like next month. I'm debating getting one, but I'd have renew with Docomo and I wanted to switch to an mvno. As far as I can tell unlocked phones aren't as easily purchasable in Japan.

Okay i'll need to upgrade from my old s4 soon and i have no idea what to get, just something that is not crazy expensive, around 300 bucks .

Does OP6 really crop games like pic related?
I was going to buy it to play [spoiler]Sdorica[/spoiler]

Attached: 154023_d0b3244693f743a542dc6a84b8f5ae22.jpg (2280x1080, 505K)

If the game is designed for 16:9 aspect ratio, then yes it's obviously gonna do either that or stretch it. Or crop top and bottom off. Those are the only options.

Bought the Redmi Note 5 Pro. SD636 4gb 64gb variant. How fucked am I?

Its something people recommend here constantly. You know that.
Do you want a headpat for doing what you were told?

Attached: pbs_twimg_com_media_DdAWI3bVMAAJ.jpg (700x1400, 159K)

Is the XA1 any good?

some of them yeah. i just played motorsport manager and the sides are cropped. motorsport manager 2 works fine.

i guess some older games are fucked

and no, hiding the notch/navbar or enabling fullacreen doesnt help

in other news i had oneplus 6 for couple of days. ama

Better check if your screen is fucked

It's fine
It crashed with Instagram for me though

Satanic trips confirm goof

Cute comic.

Lads if you had to choose between
>galaxy s5
>htc one m8
>nexus 5
>moto x 2nd gen
which one would you pick? or maybe another suggestion? I'm looking for the cheapest ≤5" phone with ongoing lineageOS support and just enough specs to avoid shitting itself after opening two or three applications.

M8 or Nexus 5

Probably not.
These companies don't give a shit about what consumers actually want, they just keep forcefeeding us whatever shit they feel like.

>ever bigger screens
>ever thinner
>ever smaller bezels
all of which make it more difficult to hold, leading to more dropping
>fragile glass sandwich
>ever smaller batteries
>no headphone jack
>notch

I want to say that if people stop buying this shit they'll change their ways and go back to what was popular.
But I doubt they will.
They'll keep racking up losses just to make sure we don't get what we want.
Get an XZ1 Compact now and make it last for as long as possible.

Waiting on mine right now, do you have fellow user? If so any regrets.
I do wish that forehead and chin were smaller, or at least it had capacitive buttons

I'd say S5 or M8.
N5 and MX2 have famously bad battery life.

I'd probably go for the S5 because you can get spare batteries for it. As long as Lineage works fine on it.

I am excited for the lenovo z5. The small bezel intrigues me.

For those complaining about curved corners, I think it would reduce the stress concentrations and make the device more sturdy, no?

Nah, I fell for the 5.5 inch meme, I have a 5.5 inch phone that I can barely use one handed because I'm a handlet.
But I don't like to waste money so I'm keeping it until it dies. Hopefully when it does there'll be a good ~5 inch phone on the market, but it doesn't look likely.

I think the old Sony bezels are good. I don't know why everyone here shits on them. Having a good bottom bezel actually makes the phone a lot easier to hold and use one-handed. When the bezels are super thin and it's nearly all screen, you can't grip it securely because you end up touching the screen accidentally all the time.

I think you'll find the bezels bretty comfy when you get the phone.

Any cons?
Is the screen resolution as shit as people say? How is the battery?

Still deciding whether to get OP6 or wait for Lenovo z5 and Vivo apex.

swallowed OP6 pill, ask me anything

Attached: 1526643660537.jpg (350x350, 69K)

i had a 1440p before and the res is fine. the display looks gorgeous.
its just too big to use with one hand

battery is pretty good. i have 6h47m sot with 22% left. mostly browsing and few games

the speaker is absolute trash if you care about that

double tap to wake sometimes doesnt work on the first try. its really annoying

and like i said above some games are cropped

the animations and general smoothness makes this the best phone i ever owned

How does it feel to be a notchcuck?

Yeah my biggest problem is one handed use. I'm coming from a Mi4c which I barely bigger than a XZ1 compact but I hate fiddling around to use the phone one handed
I don't even care about a less stellar camera. I just hope Sony updates at least to Android P and for eventual Lineage OS official

Who /GalaxyS7/ here?

I have the S7 Edge and I unironically think it's one of the best phones released in recent years, especially compared to modern android flagships
>Attractive design and great screen
>3600mAh battery
>A fucking headphone jack
>Still-excellent camera
>Non-retarded, actually usable 16:9 screen ratio
>No Bixby
>Patrician physical home button
>Fingerprint scanner in non-retarded place

How can anything compete?

Attached: 1521084401770.jpg (1103x1103, 171K)

Is it still worth getting one of those and not the s8 ? what's the price ?

doesn't bother me honestly, it's better than the mi mix bullshit camera placement or a bezel

I got mine last year for around £400 iirc but the black S7 Edge is currently £330 on Amazon (UK, obviously). If you can cope with the processor showing it's age on occasion I think it's a good option

For me, the S8/S9 aren't really a massive upgrade unless you're a total speedwhore and love shit screen ratios and Bixby

Yeah i'm on the edge (no pun intended) of getting a new phone and i was hesitating between an s7 or s8 but the s8 seems still a little bit pricey for me

Nokia 5.1 looks interesting. If I don't care about root should I be worried about the Mediatek processor?

Attached: c2e.jpg (600x787, 38K)

gsmarena.com/lenovo_z5_arrive_official_june_5-news-31307.php
> Cheng said the Z5 will be a follow-up of the ZUK series that included the Z1, the Z2 Pro, the Z2 and the Edge
We can probably expect the Z5 to have similar or better features.

Let's have a look at the most recent of these devices, the Lenovo ZUK Edge released in Jan 2017:
>dual SIM
okay cool
>gorilla glass
wonderful
>Snapdragon 821
we can probably expect something like an 845 in this then?
>memory
internal; no microsd. Sad!
>GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO
cool, has a lot of stuff in there
>FM radio
excellent
>3.5mm audio jack
YES
>USB: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
3.1 is a gem if it is rumoured to have a 4TB internal storage

all in all, I am happy with the rumours and eagerly await this product. the thinkpads have been adored by Jow Forums and I hope this does the same. LineageOS support when?

Looking for an inexpensive, new phone.

>works with verizon
>decent camera
>decent sound
>$300 or less
>not used/refurbished

Looking at Moto X4 or G6. Anything else worth looking at?

Is your headphone volume and sound quality fixed from the recent update? If yes then good, my global version has this weak volume and below average sound quality

Who's excited for the new Motorola notched phone?

Attached: notched.jpg (1600x900, 85K)

Just embrace it, everyone's gonna get notched sooner or later

>tfw your Samsung phone updates to the current month security update BEFORE the month is over
WTF Jow Forums, I thought Samsung was supposed to have shitty slow updates

Attached: SmartSelect_20180529-230351_Settings.jpg (627x1677, 137K)

my mom just dropped her phone in the water, i opened up and dried it, put it all together and turned on, it vibrated and i wasn't looking but am sure it glowed white showing the manufactrer name before going black, i removed the battery and turned on, and again it vibrated but this time nothing showed up, did i just fried it by turning it on so soon ?

yes

oh well. seems you cannot do anything now. No use harping over the past

please be serious, the phone isn't a month old

im serious, youd have to wait few days at least to dry it properly

Even putting it in with a bag of rice to adsorb the moisture you'd want to wait a full 24 hours at least.

You fucked up.

Pretty much, yeah. There was probably still water on something important.

fuck me, i warned her that she is reckless and did not took care at all, it is her fault, but i feel bad.
you sure i should wait a couple of days ? everything went in a matter of seconds the inside was barely wet

Where can I download the official google apps?

Attached: 1322019767369.png (500x376, 151K)

depends on the phone, but yeah, the longer the wait the better

it's a samsung j2

No. The bootloader was locked anyway.

oh yeah duh

Attached: finally_smart.png (932x944, 241K)

just bought a regular 5, 2 hours later, 1.4Gb of pussy & a(ctualizations)ss. the 7plus seems like the waiting game best option

that happened to me, not even a month old, thought it was dry and even put it to charge.big mistake.

What's the difference?

Attached: Capture+_2018-05-30-12-36-44.png (1440x1199, 347K)

pro is the pajeet version
it has a better front camera to compensate for the pajeet natural hideousness
also its only 4/6gb ram methinks

youtube.com/watch?v=5Z47gXtbXjw
it seems like the OP6 is on par with IP67 level water protection ladies
theyre just too jewish to go for a certification

is getting a zte axon 7 (supposedly new) from ebay for $140 an alright deal?

the phone seems really good but it's sort of getting older now

zte axon 7 mini*

Why are companies still releasing phones with Micro USB?

because they have still millions of those sumbitches laying around

Just like why 2G and 3G exist.

It's pretty annoying because I would gladly purchase the Nokia 5.1 (assuming it's a $199/$200 phone), but they had to ruin it with no USB-C.

Yeah, try out for at least two days in some rice. If you’re lucky it only turned off because some water short circuited it in that moment without destroying anything too boadly, but there’s a good chance turning it on fucked it permanently

If you could afford a Red Hydrogen ONE phone, would you buy one?

>4tb of storage
>45 DAYS of standby

What, does it come with a Chinese kid that carries a 4TB portable HDD and a hand turbine charger? And it takes 45 days of not feeding it before it gets sick and dies?

No. But I only have one working eye and can't view 3D content.

This can be solved with ViPER4Android through Magisk manager.

Anxiously waiting for the reveal of the BlackBerry KEYtwo and the Oreo update for the KEYone.

If the KEYtwo doesn't come with the retarded physical navigation bar on top of the keyboard, I might start saving up.

Almost all Nokia devices have locked bootloaders and not the most competitive pricing, but you're worried about USB-C.

>>>ever bigger screens
Good
>>ever thinner
Good
>>ever smaller bezels
Good

>fragile glass sandwich
Wrong
>ever smaller batteries
They're fine
>no headphone jack
Don't care, I hate wires of any type
>notch
Irrelevant

I'm fine up to 6.2" with phone & 1 hand.
>tfw not a handlet.

This leak seems to imply otherwise, but here's hoping it doesn't. From what I understand, the accidental touching was one of people's biggest gripes with the first phone.

Attached: blackberry-athena-keytwo-leak-angles-001-1280x1217.jpg (1280x1217, 144K)

>Computers can stay up2date for a decade
>Phone is done after 1-2 years wrt. software

this is indefensible jewery

>Phone is done after 1-2 years wrt. software
I'm sorry you chose a device with a locked bootloader.

They don't appear in the teaser video, or at least they were very well hidden. They're introducing a new button, so here's hoping they change more than just that.

>installing rootkits out of your own volition

What are you even talking about?

twitter.com/BBMobile/status/999682125304684544?s=19

Oh shit, I didn't see that. Good sign then. Also, render or not, the design on the back looks quite different from the Athena leak.

Attached: 8f99bcc457d54ed8a945bd47ede9a7b3.png (720x960, 599K)

thought the s7 was alright beyond the battery life after spending almost two years with it.
ended up going with the s9 and don't really regret it.
i do miss a few things like the flat screen, or the physical home button, and the cheap cases i could get for the s7, but give it a few months and the s9 will have them too. but besides that, it's been treating me alright.

>i hate the notch because apple did it first >:(

This but unironic. I don't have any issue with notch myself.

had an s7 edge until it broke whilst helping someone move a washing machine. I got the note 8 to replace it.
Honestly the note 8 from the s7 edge is a noticeable upgrade but one that you don't notice right away.
The biggest being that the bezels just make the screen look that much bigger and bixby is actually helpful for me because i can tell it to play a song for me on youtube while im driving.
I think its an upgrade but i would definitely wait for the note 9.
Unfortunately my note 8 cracked horribly because it got knocked off my desk and hit a metal stand so now im having to buy a new phone AGAIN because of how horrible the structural integrity on the edges are despite the fact that 90% of the falls on your phone will be on an edge.

The notch on the iphone 10 is pretty bad because of the sheer size of it and how little it added to the phone.
The reason why i like the notch, for the OP6 and the G7, is because instead of the notching resting on top of the screen, rather it is the top bezels being scooped out to allow more screen. The notch is ONLY there for the top headpiece and the front facing camera.
Trust me 90% of phones next year are gonna have notches which i think is a step in the right direction to maximize screen to body ratio.

I think they can cover the notch area with actual screen. I mean in the sense that the area notch covers wont be black, it will be screen area, but the same thing (speaker/selfie cam.) will still be there.

I think the z5 is doing that?
Or at least trying to.
If they manage to pull it off the notch will already be obsolete before it becomes a standard kek

I honestly don't have much use or interest in rooting my phone, and the most competitively priced phones don't mean much when you live in the US and no one gives a shit about the LTE bands I have access to.
At least with Nokia's I can assume that it'll have solid construction.

whats the closest thing to an HTC U12+ with a headphone jack?

>and the most competitively priced phones don't mean much when you live in the US and no one gives a shit about the LTE bands I have access to
That should be your primary concern. Kimovil offers a chart of network band compatibilities for most models.

hello everyone, I could get iphone 7 and mi note 3 at the same price. But I'm really not sure which one I should pick. The Iphone 7 is original and legit but second hand and 32gb.

I thought about mi note 3 for the longest time but just find the iphone 7 recently at the same price! Now I'm not really sure to get the mi note 3. I hope to get some response, thank you.

god I miss chain chronicles. I wish the global version didn't bomb.

Anyone here own a Nokia 6.1? How's it running for you?

Thinking of upgrading from a lg 5x that works ok but the limited memory is showing. I'm open to other options I can get easily in the US that have better memory, NFC and thumb unlock.

Attached: Nokia-6.1-Dual-SIM-Amazon-1068x534.jpg (1068x534, 23K)

I'm thinking about getting the Galaxy A8 2018 for 300e. What's wrong with that idea?

What's the difference between Redmeme 5A and Note 5A? Just the size?

Screen appears to be alright.

My primary concerns when buying a phone is that it be as clean as possible software-wise and that it is up to date in security updates. All of this makes me lean towards Nokia/HMD's phones which get 2 major updates and 3 years of security updates. I am perfectly happy paying a little extra for the peace of mind that good software support and build quality give me.
Bootloader unlock is irrelevant.

Headphone volume is on the lower side and the sound quality is nothing special. I am thinking of selling the Redmi and going for the Moto G6 plus when it comes out.

The price and the limited custom ROM support. You may want to read this as well:
forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-a8-2018/samsung-galaxy-a8-2018-guides-news--discussion