/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla/github where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread: 66121246

Attached: apu.jpg (754x1158, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ
linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/stable/LFS-BOOK-8.2.pdf
meta.stackexchange.com/questions/19665/the-help-vampire-problem
download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest-ssl&os=linux64?
pcworld.com/article/3036509/linux/iceweasel-will-be-renamed-firefox-as-relations-between-debian-and-mozilla-thaw.html
snapcraft.io/firefox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Previous thread:

Install GuixSD

Reposting from the old thread.

I just installed debian and I'm having an annoying problem with my monitors. I've 2, one connected with HDMI and one connected with DVI. The one in HDMI works fine, all's well on it. The one on the DVI cable, though, seems to not be read properly. It shows up as "Unknown display" and worse, it doesn't let me select its native resolution (1920x1080) so I'm stuck using at a lower res. Any help on how to get it to read the thing properly?

If it helps, I'm using nvidia and the appropiate nvidia driver.

Attached: chill.jpg (228x239, 18K)

Got a Pi3 laying around and want to turn it into a audiophile player.
Are there any distros aimed for that stuff?

Basically want to be able to play music off of it via streaming or local via USB/HDD and shit.

What do?

youtube.com/watch?v=iYWzMvlj2RQ

Attached: nvidia.webm (1280x720, 722K)

I'm not really enjoying KDE. I pretty much have it tamed (I don't have to kill and restart plasmashell regularly anymore), but I'll give it a couple more weeks.

I don’t know who it was, but to anybody who replied to a thread yesterday with a Mac Pro in it, thanks for your help. Systems working with Debian now running

Attached: 726DBEDE-3B9B-4790-AA1E-F2CDA5A06E74.jpg (4032x3024, 1.93M)

Had a similar problem on debian, 3 monitor set up, 1 hdmi FHD, 2 dvi HD+, i could plug the FHD and only one HD+ without problems, but as soon as i connected another HD+, it would log a bunch of errors in the system console and it would reduce the resolution of both HD+ to HD.

I think it was a Kernel problem, because i solve it by installing OpenSuse tumbleweed with a way newer Kernel, but the problem persisted on OpenSuse leap which has the same kernel version as debian.

Pulseaudio stopped working again...

FUCK POTTERING.

if I read the arch wiki, can I install arch and learn how to properly use linux and be comfy on it?
asking for a friend offcourse

Probably, but linux from scratch, is better for learning how linux works.

start here good?
linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/stable/LFS-BOOK-8.2.pdf

Hi, I need some opinions regarding going from Arch to Fedora. Is rpmfusion enough for my non-free needs?

My main concern with Arch is, I started to dislike configuring everything. Because everytime I change something I seem to break something else. And slowly my favorite environment is going out of fashion (Openbox).

Why are Arch users not friendly? I am looking at the forums and it's full of assholes who are fixated on forum rules rather than constructively answering questions.

Debian 9.4 stable.
When the wifi connects or disconnects the pc lags a bit, not visually noticable but if a song is playing and wifi connects/disconnects with a network the song shutters a bit. No other issues.

This seems to also happen while opening firefox for the first time after startup. Don't know if they're related.

Pulseaudio is installed and my wifi driver is Realtek rtl8723de.
intel i3 8gb ram radeon 520 gpu.

Can anyone please tell me what the possible cause might be, and how to get rid of it, if at all possible?

Redpill me on systemd, why is it bad

Attached: carlpooh.jpg (294x171, 7K)

I just installed linux to a second ssd, I unplugged my W10 drive to plug in the new ssd for linux. Now that its installed to the ssd and working, I plugged both ssds in at the same time, and only 1 will ever show up. How do I get dual booting to work so I dont have to physically swap them

you have to go into your link and run a command or something to detect the windows boot thing and update your grub

>go into your link
go into your linux

How exactly? Using opensuse tumbleweed

umm maybe:
In openSUSE go to "Yast > Boot Loader" on the window "Boot Loader Settings" click on the tab "Bootloader Options" and check if the option "Probe foreign OS" is selected, if not select it, click ok, GRUB will re-run its configuration, and then you restart the system. The other OS's should appear in Grub's menu entry when you start the pc.

Should have kept it plugged in. It would have put it there automatically on setup.

Thanks user, it worked

Is dd if=/dev/sdX of=filename.img bs=4M enough to backup a usb
can I do dd if=filename.img of=/dev/sdX bs=4M to restore?

meta.stackexchange.com/questions/19665/the-help-vampire-problem

I have extremely high expectations for Linux distros but I don't even care that Windows if ugly and has ads. Does anyone else feel like this? Do we have severe autism?

It's the opposite for me, I can deal with things not working well on Linux but I'll never voluntarily subject myself to Microsoft's bullshit.

Solus
Manjaro Budgie
Ubuntu Budgie
Which one? Want something mostly stable, but used Manjaro before and didn't have any problems with it. Is there anything I'm missing not using Manjaro or Solus? What exactly would one do better than the other?
Command lines for dpkg seemed simpler than when I tried with pacman, but felt like once I got around with what I need to do with pacman it was fine and sometimes easier. No idea what package manager Solus uses, only messed with the live version so far.

Any thoughts?

Maybe we've just given up on Windows doing a good job? It's suppose to be professional and it's failing. Seems like anytime my friends update W10 something breaks for them. Last one said his headset just doesn't work anymore.

Attached: 90e5e643d69766f7ab91d407e291f86dfbc777b238ed7b66a2d9dc8518cad640.jpg (270x353, 25K)

According to reviews the default setting of my monitor is 8% off the 2.20 gamma standard. If I use xrandr to increase my gamma by 8% of its current value, will it then be correct? Or is it not that simple?

I can't change the gamma in the OSD menu of my monitor.

In windows, is the partition with the biggest size the one where user data is stored?

>Realtek
there's your problem.

Don't count on that. Check the partition table and formats.

I've got a HD 7970 on my desktop and I want to install it's drivers so I can play games.
I'm running ubuntu 18.04 though and the only drivers go up to 15.1...
What can I do?

Why wouldn't the user partition be the biggest?
I checked and the biggest is 900gb while the others are 13gb 900mb 200mb, and even 16mb
I'm ddrescue' ing it to recover files and I hope the biggest partition is the user one lmao

Anyone have suggestions for a script that automatically updates laptops even with the lid closed when using Gnome. I would like it to go back to suspend when it the lid is closed, and if it is open I would like it to keep running.

Attached: 148j1655573983.jpg (456x351, 106K)

I didn't realize it was a Windows question, so I just assumed you meant /home partition.

Why ask Windows questions in a Linux thread. Are you trying to double boot? Can you point out what's actually bothering you?

Can anyone confirm if this bug is still present? I can't switch to Linux because of it.

Run a virtualbox instance in the foreground. Make the host enter sleep mode. Exit from sleep mode. Your host's lockscreen doesn't activate.

Hi guys, OS: Debian 9.4 stretch
How can I use the latest version of Firefox?
In synaptic pack appears:
Mozilla Firefox web browser - Extended Support Release (ESR), 52.8.0esr-1~deb9u1
Can I install Beta version without add new PPA?
I just want to use Firefox Multi-Account Containers in Debian
>This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 57.0). You are using Firefox 52.0.
help

Attached: dontbullypls.jpg (1280x720, 63K)

Try asking again in english.

Attached: tard.jpg (1024x512, 71K)

Debian doesn't have Firefox its proprietary.

download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-latest-ssl&os=linux64?

Your mom is proprietary, idiot.
Debian 9 features FF instead of Iceweasel.

Oh my god they backtracked on their entire philosophy. I just lost what little respect I had for Debian freetards, they aren't even freetards anymore, they are crippled ubuntutards.

Guess it kind of tracks with the fact that it was founded by an alcoholic that was raped by lesbian cops and killed himself.

they changed the branding back because the licensing issue was resolved

guys pls don't fight. I'm asking this noob question because the last time that I installed firefox (from download), in a new system update I fucked all.

No it fucking wasn't. Firefox branding is non-free and you can't use it without violating Mozilla's license.

Ok so i fucked up my ubuntu installation, removed the amd pro drivers from recovery mode command line. Now ubunu doesnt load at all.
Is there some default driver i need to reinstall/recover ?

Not part of the convo, just wanted to say you're an utter fucking chode.
Since you love namefagging so you may be interested to hear about >>>tumblr.com , you can fuck off there and build your own personal brand without utterly missing the point.

Attached: 1254100616235.jpg (512x384, 17K)

I'm anonymous you fucking retard, if you want to get triggered by literally any identifying information then you shouldn't be online at all.

I don't know whether you can just install a new FF version as an update, because you install packages from root and the updater is launched from your account. Either it wouldn't work or it downloads a separate version to /home.

RPMFusion sometimes induces breakage by lagging behind updates to the main repo. This is really bad if, say, your kernel updates but Broadcom wifi doesn't. For userspace stuff it's fine.

It's big, complex, and is written by a jackass who hates the Linux community.

Isn't really an issue if you just use your own kernel.

Fedora's kernel updating shit is already broken as fuck without adding rpmfusion bullshit to it.

Has anyone found a DE that properly supports fractional scaling for 4K monitors yet?

How is the support for this in window managers like i3 etc.?

lmao it's entirely too easy to fuck your entire system on linux

>get fucking tired of having to type a password everytime I want to mod a config file
>oh I know I'll just give ownership to this user for everything
>/usr/bin/sudo must be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set
>uh oh you've fucked up the intricate ownership structure
>easiest way to fix is just to full reinstall

holy fuck what a retarded os

>jesus christ why does everything smell
>i just wanted to shit in the sink
>kitchens are fucking retard

sudo kill -9 1

GNOME and KDE both should as of recent releases.

I need to execute a cp command to copy 2TB of data but i cant keep my ssh open the whole time, how do i make it so it wont terminate after i close the terminal?

Screen.
Also, use rsync -a in case something goes wrong.

lmao it's entirely too easy to fuck your entire system on windows

>delete system32 to make PC faster
>breaks the system
>easiest way to fix is just to full reinstall

Try:
myUser ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL

on /etc/sudoers next time.

Ctrl-Z and disown, do a ps -A to check when the command is over.

>Ctrl-Z
followed with
$ bg

>2TB of cp
terminate yourself

I know too little, right?

Oh right i forgot about bg.

Full command should be:
Ctrl-Z
$ bg
$ disown

and to check on it.
$ ps -A | grep cp

You could also use kill to send -SIGUSR1 in order to get an status from cp, or use screen and reattach to the process.

Attached: cp.jpg (1002x726, 75K)

I want to turn off my second HDD after boot in ubuntu because it makes a LOT of noise

so i created a file named hddsleep.service and placed it into /etc/systemd/system

[Unit]
Description=put unused harddrives to sleep

[Service]
type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/bin/hdparm -q -Y /dev/sda

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

and then
systemctl enable hddsleep.service

but it's not working
what the shit ;_;

Yes, the Arch wiki has a shit ton of info on it. Was my first real distro and I don't regret using it.

Would it be safe to assume that the dwm patches on suckless.org labeled 6.0 don't work for 6.1?

What does: systemctl status hddsleep.service

Says?

The service probably depends on something else to run first.

What is a good live distro for a crappy laptop with minimal setting up needed?

Single core cpu, 1gb of ram.

I just installed fedora and I can't watch youtube videos. pic related. How do I fix this?

Attached: 1510019392139.png (757x270, 22K)

bunsenlabs

Attached: 1519291015337.png (870x500, 353K)

pcworld.com/article/3036509/linux/iceweasel-will-be-renamed-firefox-as-relations-between-debian-and-mozilla-thaw.html
>"Mozilla has decided that it isn’t upset about Debian’s patches anymore. “Mozilla recognizes that patches applied to Iceweasel/Firefox don’t impact the quality of the product,” it says."
>"The logo’s copyright status isn’t a problem for Debian anymore, either: “The Firefox logo was released under a free copyright license which matches the DFSG.” "

Probably libavcodec, libavformat and libavdevice.

From the packman repositry.

I have a python script that runs as a cronjob. At the end of the python script I have a with open & write to file that is meant to open a file and write the current time, so I can see at what time the script finished running.

It never seems to do this though. Any reason why?

No idea why, probably a permission conflict, but you should be using the syslog and logging libraries for that stuff, i think even cron logs that stuff properly.

If you're lazy, just print the current date at the end of the script, then add >> myFile.txt to the end of the cron entry.

Sorry I'm an idiot who had an error in my script.

sudo systemctl status hddSleep.service
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of hddSleep.servic
● hddSleep.service - put unused harddrives to sleep
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/hddSleep.service; enabled; vendor preset:
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-05-30 08:21:45 CEST; 1h 6mi
Process: 1191 ExecStart=/usr/bin/hdparm -q -Y /dev/sda (code=exited, status=20
Main PID: 1191 (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1]: Started put unused harddrives to sleep.
kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1191]: hddSleep.service: Failed to execute com
kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1191]: hddSleep.service: Failed at step EXEC s
kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1]: hddSleep.service: Main process exited, cod
kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1]: hddSleep.service: Failed with result 'exit

Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of hddSleep.servic
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/hddSleep.service; enabled; vendor preset:
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-05-30 08:21:45 CEST; 1h 6mi
Process: 1191 ExecStart=/usr/bin/hdparm -q -Y /dev/sda (code=exited, status=20

kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1191]: hddSleep.service: Failed to execute com
kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1191]: hddSleep.service: Failed at step EXEC s
kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1]: hddSleep.service: Main process exited, cod
kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1]: hddSleep.service: Failed with result 'exit
lines 1-12/12 (END)...skipping...
Warning: The unit file, source configuration file or drop-ins of hddSleep.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/hddSleep.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-05-30 08:21:45 CEST; 1h 6min ago
Process: 1191 ExecStart=/usr/bin/hdparm -q -Y /dev/sda (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1191]: hddSleep.service: Failed to execute command: No such file or directory
kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1191]: hddSleep.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/bin/hdparm: No such file or directory
kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1]: hddSleep.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=203/EXEC
kvě 30 08:21:45 Workplech systemd[1]: hddSleep.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
~

> /usr/bin/hdparm: No such file or directory
Well clearly /usr/bin/hdparm doesn't exist on that route, i think it should be /usr/sbin/hdparm, but use type hdparm to be sure.

Oh shit you are right! it is in /sbin/hdparm
that GOD DAMNED arch wiki has tricked me for the last time!

Very nice.

nohup cp /boylovecpmoviesscat/vids /media/backups &

Why is Linus so grumpy?

Attached: 1527683359979.png (1280x333, 44K)

Because his job sucks, the majority of the code people try to get past him are probably infuriatingly shitty.

What a loser

>Last one said his headset just doesnt work anymore.
I have the same problem on my dualboot. Ive tried several headsets using the headjack, only usb headsets work anymore.
Do you know of a fix?

So I'm trying to run an application and it gets to login screen, then these errors are thrown out.

I've googled and updated, reinstalled probably everything and lost quite a lot of time on it. I don't know what else to do.

help

Attached: wat.png (1920x1080, 2.38M)

Unfortunately not. He spent a couple of hours on trying to fix it. I told him to plug it in his laptop and it worked on that, so I'm going to broadly assume it was the regent W10 update he did.
His was the USB that wasn't working I believe. Not sure if regular jack works. Does the jack work at all with other headphones? If the headphones work on other computers then it's probably just the port. Maybe something got disconnected, could be damaged. Is this with just W10, or with both operating systems?

When I try to login into application, it says server timeout and is stuck on login screen.

I would also recommend, I think it's called this, negativio17. A couple of packages there including steam

check the appdb entry for whatever you are trying to run for known issues and workarounds

its working fine on linux, and ive also verfied that the headphones arent broken.
Ive always felt like headjacks are very reliable, but apparently not.
Ill probably just purge my windows install instead of fixing it.

So out of all the things that don't work, it's the headphone jack on W10? If this is true I'm not sure if I should be baffled or not.

I know, cheap-ass company with a crappy website and an even crappier linux support. But what about the solution?

Is there no way at all?

Can I just ask how do I manually run application through terminal and get these errors (so I can see what and where it went wrong)?

I always reinstalled and was automatically in thrown into this debug/spectator mode or w/e it is called.

How do I do it manually for any program/application that I run and can see step by step what is happening in terminal?

Have you searched for a snap?

snapcraft.io/firefox

I'm new to linux myself so you might want to do some more research. And to use the snap you need to have "snapd" installed.

What's a respectful browser for Jow Forumsents?

Attached: 1527690180175.png (1280x441, 345K)