Which OS is better for software development and why?

which OS is better for software development and why?

or does the choice of text editors/IDEs more important than the choice of OS?

Attached: 01b.png (640x400, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/CppCon/videos
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX8CzqL3ArzXH0UdTJRar5n7bnJv7hWDc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Depends on what you're trying to achieve

Linux is better for development, Windows is great if you want to develop in C# and target Windows.

what about software dev in general?
(e.g. front/back-end web,desktop,android,etc)

GNU/Linux > Mac OS > Windows
ordered by
>software availability
>ease of installation and management of development software via package manager
>access to decent shell

basically GNU/Linux has it down, Mac OS can be okay with some tweaking (you can install third party package managers like homebrew, it's still a unix-like OS, and it comes with vim, emacs, ssh, and bash out of the box), Windows is the worst in these respects.

I would guess that BSD lands between GNU/Linux and Mac OS for being a more sane system like GNU/Linux, but potentially suffering due to being less popular.

Unless you're talking about real software development, in which case you're going to use Windows.

Wut?
-This is like saying what vehicle is the best?
-For what purpose?
-What about just driving in general?
(Hauling logs, dragracing, buying groceries, Flying, doing Wheelies,)

Use the software that fits your needs, there is no killer OS that does everything...

Attached: stop.png (300x300, 6K)

this

real software developers use macOS mostly with some more adventurous people using Linux, see:
youtube.com/user/CppCon/videos
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX8CzqL3ArzXH0UdTJRar5n7bnJv7hWDc

>CppCon
Which part of "real software development" you did not understand?

oh right, you're the real software developer, not them. I hope you're being ironic because this kind of autism being funny like 5 years ago

stopped being funny*

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as "GNU/Linux" is, in fact, just "Linux" you fucking autist.

>GNU/Linux
>software availablility
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait you're serious

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Everything Linux has Windows has, moron. Windows is by far the most streamlined for development regardless of what these neckbeards tell you OP

this. /thread

I've worked for almost a dozen software companies and the majority of them used Windows. Pretty much everyone outside of startups and the trendy big five won't spend the extra dosh on Macs. I use Linux at home, but you should know the Windows toolchain equivalent of you want to be highly employable.

I always prefer Linux, but for college I need to use Windows because their shitty exam monitoring malware doesn't work on Linux. They make the students use Linux in a VM on Windows for Linux exams, I regret ever enrolling in college while I could just do some local freelancing.

Attached: ABtIF4sl.jpg (530x320, 31K)

1. manchild
2. >implying your PC with WinSlave will boot near the year of 2050
3. just find equivalents
4. GNU/Linux has support as well
5. If teachers don't allow GNU/Linux, get out of that school immediately
6. >implying you're a slave to your company as well as to your "OS"

get fucking cucked WinSlave

This, unfortunately. Good luck doing anything aside from programming on linux.

>software availability
>>ease of installation

>Ghnuuhuu / Linucucks

Said fucking no one ever.

/thread

>real software development
>windows
this cracked me up

why dont they use linux?

this, how do winfags even defend it

>not part of the GNU / masterace
hahahshshhdjhshahahhahahs