LIGHT STRIPS

SK9822 or AP102 LED light strips should be able to scale performance for size, correct?

Background:
I bought 2100 (purchased seven 5 meter rolls) individually addressable WS2812B LED strips. I was completely unaware that when you chain a large amount of LEDs, these strips have inherent performance issues which cause the refresh rate to plummet. As a result, the patterns I want to run are at a slow crawl. Any pattern that requires motion moves entirely too slow to achieve the desired effects.

I believe that the SK9822 should be able to solve this problem.
I'm drawing this conclusion based on a paragraph from a blog which states (please note SK9822 is a nearly identical close of APA102):
>I contrast to the very timing-sensitive one-wire protocol of the WS2812, the APA102 uses a standard two wire SPI protocol – one clock line and one data line. Each LED has two inputs and two outputs which can be daisy chained. At the first sight this may seem wasteful, but it has the advantage of being supported by standard microcontroller periphery and it is insensitive to timing variations. Due to the critical timing requirement it is not possible to control the WS2812 from SOCs with multitasking operating systems, such as the Raspberry Pi. This should not be an issue with the APA102. Furthermore, the data can be transferred at an almost arbitrary clock rate. I was able to control the LEDs with 4 MHz SPI clock without any hitch. It appears that the maximum speed is mainly limited by the parasitics of the wiring.
>IT APPEARS THAT THE MAXIMUM SPEED IS MAINLY LIMITED BY THE PARASITICS OF THE WIRING
cpldcpu.wordpress.com/2014/08/27/apa102/

I am interpreting the above paragraph to mean I can run a ridiculously large setup covering over 114 feet and 2100 LEDs and that I should be able to play advanced patterns smoothly without refresh issues.

Can someone please check my logic so that I don't make yet another expensive mistake?

Attached: 5M-SK9822-Similar-APA102-60-Pixels-Leds-m-300leds-Tube-Waterproof-IP67-LED-Strip-Light-Black.jpg_640 (640x640, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tweaking4all.com/hardware/arduino/adruino-led-strip-effects/.
youtube.com/watch?v=WcTqfsnpXUE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Please respond to my thread.

How do I get you guys to respond to my thread

2100 LEDs * 24 bits per LED = 50400 bits
1/4Mhz = 0.25 µs
0.25 µs * 50400 = 0.0126s = 79 frames/s

The data rate works, but you are going to have issues with voltage drop on the power supply wires with 114 feet.

I believe already have the voltage issues covered. My setup has 90W power every 5 meters. I see no flickering or color issues with my current WS2812B setup.

Your math is wrong
Don't listen to this guy OP

Can you describe what effects you are trying to achieve in more detail?

I have LED lights sitting on top of trim all around my apartment. I use the FastLED and other libraries, using an Arduino Microcontroller, to create patterns that look cool. I'm writing my own to pair with specific board games and video games to create unique ambiance.

I'll give you a specific example of an effect that I cannot do. It's called Theater Chase.

Here is the main snippet of the code from Tweaking4All that I found online tweaking4all.com/hardware/arduino/adruino-led-strip-effects/.
void loop() {
theaterChase(0xff,0,0,50);
}

void theaterChase(byte red, byte green, byte blue, int SpeedDelay) {
for (int j=0; j

Attached: LEDEffect-TheatreChase(1).webm (640x194, 2.78M)

What the fuck is this autism

For anyone actually interested, I'm doing more research and I'm coming up with these conclusions:

APA102 still has problems with long strips. I cannot right now determine is SK9822 alleviates this issue since. I'm a brainlet, so researching takes a while.

I think what I'll have to do is break up my processing from a data standpoint on my WS2812Bs. I'm testing at 1050 LEDs (half). It's still not quite ideal speed but I think I can make it work, and is much superior to the 1800-2100 speed.

Splitting the DATA processing through strips is difficult. Splitting the power is easy. Every 300 LEDs, I have a power supply hooked to an outlet. But since I can only control my setup from one microprocessor, splitting DATA processing up would require feeding wires across the apartment, which would fucking suck. If I split my processing at a central point, I've essentially doubled my speed.

Who would have thought making cool lights in my apartment would be such a god damn challenge.

holy shit this is cool... looks easy as well. is this what hardware programming is like? i think i may want to set up led lights synced music

Synchronized music to LED light displays are very feasible. It's a very popular desire so many people have guides out there.

I like you noob OP. Idk why... But i do

Attached: fbkLF.gif (499x281, 1.98M)

Can you send signals to strips wirelessly?

I made a picture for myself to track everything I know and so I can visualize my setup.

Attached: 2.png (840x900, 110K)

One of the coolest effects of all time is lighting. You can play rainymood and then have intermittent lighting.

youtube.com/watch?v=WcTqfsnpXUE

Ah, I've found managing 6 sketches isn't difficult at all. That concern was trivial.

Researching this. If I can do that easily, my problems are solved. FastLED allows me to manage strips at once through matrices, I just have to feed data to each.

Attached: 3.png (719x482, 29K)

Hmmm, initial research on this shows many people who can set it up so that they can communicate to the Arduino remotely. Not seeing anything YET on if the Arduino can communicate with a strip remotely.

Bah, I don't want to do it, but I'm going to do it, because I just cannot let go of my dream.

SOLUTION:
Run wires every 300 LEDS on the ''DATA'' entry point and connect then to the Arduino. This will make for some very LONG wires at some points. It will be ugly and annoying as shit but god fucking damn it I want my effects. I can centrally manage all seven strips from the same sketch.

I hope my thread has been enjoyable. It likely can serve as a tutorial for anyone else who wants to do this kind of stuff.

*brrrraaaaaaappppppp*

Oh yes Op, please, quickly, made an LED light display to much this wonderful aroma! Mmmm yes my dear. Oh good heavens, this is absolutely divine

Oh gracious, no! A BONE BONE! I have developed a bone bone! I took an oath as a certified brapologist that I would be a professional and not obtain erections! Egad, this aroma is so powerful, so delightful! I am weak! OP, I beg if you, develop a light show to stimulate me burning in hell where I belong. Oh goodnrss yes my dear, the sulphuric braps are worth the damnation!

Use ESPs with a master slave config

Master sends signals to slaves which in turn control the LEDs strips. I know this works because some students at my uni made this in to a proof of concept for lighting up windows in big buildings.

have you tried switching it off, leaving the power off for at least 30 seconds then switching back on