Why is bash such a shitty language? Is this just a facet of GNU?

Why is bash such a shitty language? Is this just a facet of GNU?
Are all GNU tools as shitty as Bash?

I had more fun writing VBA macros in excel's shitty IDE, before finding out that I can turn off the intrusive error popups, than using Bash.

Attached: 800px-Gnu-bash-logo.svg[1].png (800x337, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rc.cat-v.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it gets the job done. what else do you need?

Attached: 1527385391038.png (448x468, 194K)

A syntax that isn't completely arbitrary about whitespaces, for example.

Or how about some fucking way to handle time values?

Or a syntax for loops and if-instructions that isn't ridiculously bloated.
Seriously, why the fuck do you even need a "then" when you already got a line break?

Git gud

bash is for quick hacks. use python or whatever for what you described. also

Install zsh

>everyone else gets it except me
>it's the language's fault, not mine

Bash (language) isn't from GNU. Bash was a knockoff of a 70s shell due to licensing purposes.

bash is old and has served its purpose well
powershell managed to suck even having the advantage of knowing the weaknesses of bash in advance.

Imagine being so retarded that you can't even use bash.

another day, another unix junk

Mainly because you are not competent

VB. That was your first clue.

Windows is not technology

Attached: E4C26ACF-0017-4B4F-87BA-97340C384D59.jpg (1024x635, 64K)

Because it's main purpose was to be an interactive shell, moron. The "scripting" aspect was there only so you wouldn't have to retype the same commands over and over again. It was never meant to be a general purpose programming language. Learn some damn Unix history.

This.

Just use another scripting language. What's the problem?

Because it's not a normal programming language, and it was never meant to be. It's shell script. It's supposed to be good for slapping together simple shit, and it does that job well.

Best shell coming through
rc.cat-v.org/

Attached: longcat.png (1126x10000, 1.45M)

Bash + Awk + Perl will work fast and efficient for just about any scripting you need.

any kind of loop and conditional really sucks in sh and its derivatives

Shell scripting is not meant as a substitute for a full fledged programming language.
>I had more fun writing VBA macros
If you unironically enjoy any Visual Basic derivative, your brain is too fried to use tools made for mentally healthy people. Consider switching back to Windows.

Try using recursion then.

> wtf

Attached: 0B4DBC19-5505-4BF9-B343-F4717900C375.jpg (300x253, 46K)

All the niggers in this thread who go "scripting languages don't have to be good lol" should keep in mind that PHP and Javascript were born as "simple scripting languages lol" and are now fucking everywhere and we have to deal with the shitfest they are just because someone thought it would be cool to let it get out of hand.
Face it, someone will use a shitheap of a language to build a full-fledged application and we'll have to deal with the consequences of it.

perl+awk+sed are much better than bash scripts.

Aside from ubiquity (which I'll grant is a pretty good reason on its own), is there any reason to use bash?

i know what recursion is. still requires looping.

>Why is bash such a shitty language?
because when bash came along it had to support a bunch of legacy cruft that was already old enough that it couldn't trivially be changed while still supporting sh, if you want a better shell use something else and if you want a nicer scripting language use something like perl or python

well documented, licenced, authored, and commented code that supports more useful features and is portable while supporting localisation is longer in line count? tell me more
if only gnu cat could include libc.h and call it a day

Ay lmao whattup cucks

Attached: xonsh.png (181x278, 11K)

Because everything is a command, even [ is a command, and having arbitrary whitespace will fuck with that. [-e and [ -e mean two different things you see

I think the then and else shit are kind of like parameters you pass in. So they're just there.

It's not fucking Python stop treating it as such

i wish i didn't have to use this shit to write anything longer than 10 lines at work. those faggots don't seem to understand bash isn't meant to be used at that point and becomes an unmanageable mess over time

No one's saying that. Everyone's saying that bash is the way it is because compromises had to made in the name of interactivity.

Is Perl a write-only language that's being usurped by Python, or is it still worth it to know Perl well?