Explain

explain

Attached: Apple-X-and-Android-Notches.jpg (900x902, 144K)

Consumers are stupid and the average person makes poor decisions

I want to kill myself

Obvious answer: Android was a copycat OS from the beginning so no surprise that low-margin phone makers who can't afford their own research and innovation just rip off Apple.

Android apologist answer: The notch is natural evolution of smartphone designs, elegantly offering more screen real-estate and further reducing bezels.

Theres one android phone comming from china in a few months with the cumera under the screen so no noch if ur so desperate

>Android apologist answer
I never heard anyone say this desu

the only good thing that comes out of this meme is that it proves manufacturers aren't restricted to square displays anymore (of course), so I expect some real innovation in the future

>The notch is natural evolution of smartphone designs
No one ever said this other than Apple.
It's one of the biggest regressions in the history of cellphones, and some people are willing to pay for these pieces of thrash.

I'm curious if the part of the screen covering the camera lens has to be blacked out in order to take a picture/video?

>As bezels are shrinking further and further down, manufacturers are starting to run out of room for the various sensors on a phone, like infrared, proximity, and the front-facing camera. While some OEMs have come to other solutions like retractable selfie cams, it seems that the easiest way to slim down the top bezel is with a notch; ideally one just big enough to house the phone's sensors while still leaving plenty of room to the sides for as much screen as possible.
It cuts into the display, sure, but you're still getting far more real estate to work with than if the screen just stopped before the notch. This means more room for information — you don't have to scroll through a web page as often because there's more vertical space for the content to fill. You can suddenly see more of the app you're in while you're typing.
This is a benefit originally brought on by the elongated aspect ratio craze (18:9 and beyond), but that introduced a new issue: with a longer display comes a taller phone that's harder to hold or fit into a pocket. The notch brings slimmer vertical bezels, which helps cut down on that added height.

It will be the obvious answer soon. Just like Slide to Unlock, the Fingerprint Scanner, and so on

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 4.23.47 PM.png (1326x776, 395K)

Kek as usual apple was the only one who managed to pull it of

>tfw still using a 16:9 phone

>taller phone that's harder to hold or fit into a pocket.

???

Both holding and fitting in pockets is a matter of width and to a lesser extend thickness.

Imagine an extreme 5cm by 100cm phone:
I could comfortably hold on to it.
I could also put it in my pocket, although it would stick out obviously.

Autistic retards that think the notch is objectively bad can't come to terms with the fact that display space has actually increased, so the original display is still there, plus the extra display space enabled by use of a notch. Functionally, it's almost exactly the same, but autistic retards will try to convince you otherwise. I have an Essential Phone (which used a notch before the iPhone did) and the notch makes absolutely no difference in how I use my phone. One might make the argument that the wide notch that's common today is less effective than the notch on the Essential Phone; I would make that argument, but that the use of a notch by itself is objectively bad is one of the more retarded arguments I've ever seen come out of Jow Forums. Similar to the CRT craze that gripped these fuckin' mooks for a couple of years.

>you're still getting far more real estate
Compare two 1080p phones. One with notch and one without. That notch will cut into the display and you're actually losing screen real estate. HOWEVER, it's only cutting into the status bar up top. Compared to a non-notched display, you'll get more status bar, which even I will admit, never gets used anyways.
>This means more room for information — you don't have to scroll through a web page as often because there's more vertical space for the content to fill
No because it's only cutting into the status bar. It will not even impact how much information is viewed on a webpage because the status bar is always there.

They should have made a small extra screen for the status icons, instead of cutting out a notch that is visible in videos.

Remember the only reason notches are so in-your-face and always visible is to differentiate the iPhoneX so it's easy to recognize it as a status symbol, not to make it better.

but both essential and xiaomi did it before icuck

Forgot to add- even if the status bar did disappear after you scrolled up, you would still be scrolling just as much. Because that little notch would be cutting out whatever content you're trying to read. It might as well not even exist at all. From a display point of view, it adds nothing, and takes very little. It's just ugly as sin.
Front cameras shouldn't even exist and internal vibration speakers have been viable for a long time, so we could scrap having those on the screen. Even having the earpiece up on the top of the phone around the bezel would be enough for basic calling. We did fine with phones having mics on the bottom of the phone, why not the top?

Until you watch a video or play a game where you end up with a black bar on the side due to the notch or a fucking notch in your field of view. Plus it doesn’t even really increase the screen to body ratio, as you can just slim the top bezel uniformly. S9+ has a higher screen to body ration than pretty much any other phone without using a notch

Meizu doesn't have that problem :')

Attached: meizu-15-plus-01.jpg (700x634, 56K)

>They should have made a small extra screen for the status icons
That's retarded. You realise that's no different than just increasing the resolution of the main display right? except it'll take more power, more space, and more "innovation" to get the software to recognise and use it.
>Until you watch a video or play a game where you end up with a black bar on the side due to the notch
Are you serious? Why would they not just scale the image down below the notch? I'm not defending it either, like you said, basic implementation like with the S9+ shows just how unnecessary it is. Though for smaller phones it might seem a little more practical to cram in as much as they can while keeping the phone small. S9+ is pretty large all things considered.

>We did fine with phones having mics on the bottom of the phone, why not the top?

You don't touch the phone with your lips.
Pointing the microphone down makes perfect sense.

But you do touch the phone with your ear.
And you want the sound to go straight into your ear in noisy environments.

If they started placing the speaker on the edge to cater to millennials who never use their "phones" for calls I would genuinely rage.
Microphone and speaker quality is terrible enough (compared to ancient landline phones) as it is.

And neither does samsung

>You realise that's no different than just increasing the resolution of the main display right?

Except it could be placed next to the camera, or even on one of the sides.
It could also be attached to the main screen like the "ears" next to the notch are now.

>it'll take more power

Or LESS power if it stops you from keeping the main screen on permanently.

>and more "innovation" to get the software to recognise and use it.

Yeah, how will Google find the programmers? - everybody is needed to build better botnets.

>Obvious answer: Android was a copycat OS from the beginning

this pretty much, and I am an android smartphone user since the begining and currently use the s9.
apple set many good and many awful trends: glass back, aluminium unibody, no removable battery, no sd card slot, no audio jack, and now notches.
It was allways like this, nothing new.

I actually noticed that Meizu seems to copy Samsung more than Apple, surprising for a chink brand...

>Exynos SoC
>3.5mm ports
>1440p AMOLED screens
>Narrowing bezels instead of adding notch

/thread

there is nothing wrong with it, but doesn't warrant an upgrade

>innovation
Don't you mean devolution?

They're all rectangular slabs of glass that are trying to maximize screen to body ratios. Next you'll tell me all brands of baseball caps look similar.

Ebay reseller here: chinks will always copy famous brands in an effort to get recognition. It's like they see apple sucking hobo dick so they do it too and say:

>"h-ha ha, guis we suck dirty cock too! buy our chink trash haha"

K
I don't care either way, as long as I can get my 20% markup it's all good.

Attached: 1524170724489.jpg (2048x1382, 282K)

Move the phone down more until the speaker is right near your ear canal. Sound waves can also easily bounce off another surface and change direction. Instead of the speaker going straight up and out, it would bounce off a little cone. Hard to explain so pic related.
This entire post is retarded. Here's your (You) but I will say
>Or LESS power if it stops you from keeping the main screen on permanently.
So you're implying people leave their main screen on permanently? Will there be a separate button to turn on your second screen and not the first? You realise if both are on at any point anyways, like when you actually get a notification, you're going to be drawing more power than one screen regardless.
>everybody is needed to build better botnets.
>unironically using the term botnet
Autism.

Attached: phonespeakrev.png (309x387, 25K)