Is it time for linux on the desktop?

is it time for linux on the desktop?

Attached: Capture.png (498x984, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Its a little weird to me that ultimately Linux never really was made into an everyday OS for everyday folks. Ubuntu really is the closest its ever come and even there most people couldn't figure out how to install something from a tar.gz file.
Knock Microsoft and Apple for whatever you want but they at least figured out how to make OSs for normal people.

we have debs and flatpacks now

I don't think that is how it works. Use it if you feel there is merit.

Not weird to me. The everyday OS' for everyday folk is Android.

No, Microsoft and Apple never managed to make OSs for normal people, normal people merely used what is preinstalled. They can't actually use the OS well. Or even their programs.

It's been time but the atari box is not going to succeed.

this

Linux is a kernel.

(cont'd)
Pic related, someone posted this yesterday and I'm reposting.

Before you think "hey, that's not unexpected" you should go check what the description for the high end of the scale is:
nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/

[I thought it was serious programmer / sysadmin skills, at least nearly ready to work production servers and/or start programming commercial software. It is not that.]

Attached: computer-skill-levels-by-country.png (1400x1016, 57K)

>Crossgame chat : Skype, Discord, ...
Why do they go for discord? They had the chance.

then use something else

Discord is fucking great, stop trying so hard to be counterculture.

discord has the potential to record everything you say and sell that data.
I don't want to be part of that "culture"

holy shit

this is just going to be another ouya.

its trying badly to cashgrab on the success of the NES mini.

it's not android and it's backed by a name that means something in the industry.

>its trying badly to cashgrab on the success of the NES mini.
no, that was the flashback gold.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1280x720, 103K)

What's the point tho, there's no public for a console like that.

Discord is botnet. Quit being a retard.

An impressive machine for $200, but doomed by the 32gb flash. These will make decent linux boxes when the dust settles.

>bristol ridge
>28nm in 2018
Would had been worth the price if it were an embedded raven ridge which even the smach z uses.

It's pretty disgusting that the tone of that article seems to imply "design things so that they're usable by these retards" instead of "If they won't or can't learn to swim, let them sink"

Found the jew

> One of thedifficult taskswas to schedule a meeting room in a scheduling application, using information contained in several email messages

Now know what managers do all day.

Can I install gentoo on it? Not a meme, all neckbeards are wetting their pants right now with the thought.

Agreed. I'm already pissed that all mainsteam OSs aim to turn computers into appliances at the expense of power. Computers are amazing and powerful tools, but giving them the usability of appliances strips their power to that of appliances. There is no productivity boost if everyone just uses a computer as an expensive typewriter.

Basically all other industries make different products for professionals and casuals, but OSs aim at everyone.

I wish things had gone differently where computers were mostly seen as professional tools and fully programmable environments like those designed for the Xerox Alto or the Lisp Machines were common in industry instead of consumer crapware. Giving computers to the masses didn't uplift the masses, it only lobotomized computers.

>is it time for linux on the desktop?
Since at least 2012, yeah.

Even the "expensive typewriter" thing isn't really true, as someone who wanted that in the past didn't need a computer, just a word processor (and it even had a dot-matrix printer built in which is convenient as fuck). In many ways we have less consumer choice now than we ever did in the past, as even into the 90s a hobbyist could still buy the 8-bit machines if they want to tinker rather than use (if that makes sense).

>I'm already pissed that all mainsteam OSs aim to turn computers into appliances at the expense of power.
Blame it on the business people.
People with a CS background would never do that, except if told to do so by their superiors with business degree.

I don't know, a lot of people in CS seem to despise the very idea of the "bad old days" where buying a computer meant reading a 600 page manual about how to use it.

>people in CS
Those are not "people in CS".
Those are business guys that try to do some CS (and usually fail to do so on a massive scale).
Although I have to admit there is a lot of brain washing going on in lectures to bend the minds of innocent CS majors.
They are being told that the ""bad old days"" are not how it's supposed to be, and that they will fail the course, if they think otherwise.

Discord isn't even good, let alone great. Riot.im is better.

Yeah, they made some mistakes.
They should've just went with Ryzen 2200G and made the console 20$ more expensive or take a 20$ hit per unit instead and made games and accessories slightly more expensive. They also should have made a "pro" version with 8GB RAM and 64/128GB storage instead of making a meme version with REAL WOOD.
However, at 200 USD it's the best price/performance Mini PC. Intel NUCs are more expensive, MintBoxes are expensive and slightly worse (except with storage), and chink mPCs are just trash with 3 year-old Intels or weak Atoms.

This is a literal scam.

Nice proof

>try to send image on discord android app
>app crashes
every time

Attached: KDZEWFoCkuiGTi-k5c6Q3bLlyaenrGaEmo1YuljM_Fc.jpg (229x221, 10K)

This. I refuse to believe that you can economically justify millions of dollars spent on designing computers for retards. If they can't use computers then it is almost certainly because they aren't intelligent enough to learn in general, and will not have any money to offer in return.
Besides, these people never did anything with their worthless lives to deserve computers in the first place, why should we share them with them?