I WANT TO LEARN EVERYTHING THERE IS ABOUT LINUX STARTING FROM THE BOTTOM UP!

I WANT TO LEARN EVERYTHING THERE IS ABOUT LINUX STARTING FROM THE BOTTOM UP!

Where do I begin?

Inb4 install gentoo.

Attached: dc32287368925e1e2a1916425527ad0e.jpg (960x540, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxfromscratch.org/
tjhsst.edu/~dhyatt/superap/unixcmd.html
linuxcommand.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

install linux from scratch

yes

start by checking out the kernel source

>I WANT TO LEARN EVERYTHING THERE IS ABOUT LINUX STARTING FROM THE BOTTOM UP!
well, the only way to actually do that is to download the kernel source, read through some of it, and then compile and start using

I learned Linux the fastest when I got a thrash-tier laptop where any Windows OS would be unusable.
Just install any *buntu or derivative distro and start using it as a main OS. If you don't know how to do shit just google it.

linux+ cert

>linux+ cert
lol i have this and it is a meme

LFS

INSTALL LFS, FAGGOT WEEABOO !

Attached: xl-2017-linus-torvalds-1.jpg (620x360, 27K)

LINUX FROM SCRATCH IS FOR SUPER HARDENED LINUX USERS, THE MASTERS. IT IS THE FINAL TEST.

I MEAN I NEED TO START FROM THE BEGINNING AND PROGRESS OVER TIME. NOT TRY THE HARDEST THING FIRST AND FIGURE IT OUT.

Attached: azusa-yelling-at-everyone.jpg (640x480, 19K)

Is it? Because I plan on getting it...

i have never seen an employer that cares about it.
your better off using linux as you daily driver for a while

First you must stop watching anime.

Is there really nothing else linux has to offer beside ricing the shit out of your desktop and being a good server OS but not a desktop one? Because that's the vibe I'm getting after distro hopping for a while.

Learn C and Bash
Read The Linux Programming Interface by Kerrisk
Try your hand at LFS

your probably just used to the inane discussions about linux here on Jow Forums.
i use it as a cloud platform on my servers and at home i use Qubes as my OS, which isnt about ricing, its about security.

/* SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0 WITH Linux-syscall-note */
#ifndef _LINUX_KERNEL_H
#define _LINUX_KERNEL_H

#include

/*
* 'kernel.h' contains some often-used function prototypes etc
*/
#define __ALIGN_KERNEL(x, a) __ALIGN_KERNEL_MASK(x, (typeof(x))(a) - 1)
#define __ALIGN_KERNEL_MASK(x, mask) (((x) + (mask)) & ~(mask))

#define __KERNEL_DIV_ROUND_UP(n, d) (((n) + (d) - 1) / (d))

#endif /* _LINUX_KERNEL_H */

Attached: 1523495959973.png (612x491, 106K)

Do you do any sort of networking or development? Or just rice and distrohop?

Start by installing Arch. I don't use it anymore because nothing works out of the box and I'd prefer a distro that works out of the box just in case I need to reinstall it or install it somewhere else. But it's great for linux beginners who want to learn more.

So you have to sacrifice massive amounts of functionality to get a good amount of security? How is this any different than being in prison?

latter day saints

qubesOS is a pretty sick desktop OS.
everything is ran atop Xen hypervisor, it virtualizes VM's on your desktop. I am able to segregate shitposting VM's, work VM's, cryptocurrency VM's and banking VM's, as well as a windows VM all into their own isolated compartment.
its an amazing OS for daily, you should check it out

Attached: .png (1366x768, 82K)

>So you have to sacrifice massive amounts of functionality to get a good amount of security? How is this any different than being in prison?
lol what? What functionality do i lose? i have more functionality than i do with anything else

You're going to have to learn the same way anyone does, by breakage and google and fixing.
If you start from scratch you'll have to deal with a lot more breakage but you'll learn a lot more quickly. If you start on something like ubuntu what few problems you end up resolving will give you a very superficial understanding of a few high level problems. It won't illustrate a unix like system to you at fucking all.

/thread

The functionality of using windows server? Not functionality I'd miss.
Why does the idea of people using linux get under your skin.

>Why does the idea of people using linux get under your skin.
Because I use it and it fucking blows.

windows is pretty bad desu.
to do the simplest shit i have to go online and download a file from some untrusted source and either deal with spyware or a straight up virus.

>Start by installing Arch
No thanks I am not a homosexual. If I want to install a hard OS to learn I would do gentoo because I don't suck dick and post on reddit on weekends.

LINUX FROM SCRATCH
I
N
U
X

F
R
O
M

S
C
R
A
T
C
H

linuxfromscratch.org/

>windows is pretty bad desu.
meh, there's still gaymes to think about

>Because I use it and it fucking blows
maybe you should learn how to use it properly.
people were afraid of electricity too until they understood it's properties and learned to manipulate it

Arch users aren't gay, they're pedofile. Don't mix and match your own memes kiddo.

i agree with that, and if your into gaming, stick with windows, theres no argument there.
but if your a programmer/power user/technology enthusiast who doesnt play vidya then there are better alternatives out there for computing

if you are cute ill teach you everything in exchange for your bottom up

Stick with your consumer OS for your consumer hobbies.

well said

I hate Windows because there's too many games. If I installed Linux I'd be so much more productive because I wouldn't have a choice but to program more.

>mfw I have all the necessary theory and have written dozens of real world applications but now zone out on vidya instead of building shit

fug

Just player older games or something like Dwarf Fortress. Linux has plenty of games and most emulators work fine on it.

We must go deeper!

Attached: 1473363192036.png (1580x2464, 3.1M)

i dont see void or source mage

Where does Devuan go on this list?

hyperbola, parabola, Xen

slackware

Install mint or some other easy distro on virtual box and start learning the command line. Cybrary has a free Linux+ video series too.

Thank you this was the advice I was looking for I think

Attached: Anime-girl-blue-eyes-blue-hair-happy-Favim.com-3318632-1-.jpg (215x185, 14K)

Just start getting your hands dirty.

Void Linux is there, in the same tier as Arch

mint sucks, get lubuntu
arch is trash, but this is actually good advice

Attached: Neodímio.jpg (600x580, 199K)

I'm in a similar position to you just a couple months in the future - I have a laptop I need for general uni stuff but otherwise isn't too important, so I installed Fedora on it (about as difficult to use as Mint) and just customized everything I wanted to (I went with xfce, you can use whatever DE you like the look of, just plan to try most of them eventually) and both customizing things and getting everything I wanted to download to work has gone a long way to making me feel comfortable about using it. Even installing the OS teaches you loads if you whenever you see something bought up you don't know you just google and read about it (like for instance MBR vs GTP partitions when burning the iso).

Learning the command line is really, really easy. It seems intimidating but most of the shit you have to do with it is file management, which is like four commands. You learn the rest naturally over time as you do more stuff with your machine, maybe google 'command line tips and tricks' or whatever because there are a lot of them.

Basically just throw yourself into the deep end, install what looks like it'd be fun to figure out, have the general goal of making your system cool (rice it) and you'll go far. Shit isn't as hard as it seems it's just intimidating.

>but most of the shit you have to do with it is file management, which is like four commands.
Hmmm what are these commands? Give me a quick rundown

Install Debian and i3 window manager. Read the literature as you go along.

Make sure to utilize the man/info pages as well.

Attached: 2i5pbynodtdz.png (480x295, 254K)

>ls
lists directories (folders)
>cd directory_name
changes directory to whatever comes after "cd"
>cd ..
places you in the directory outside your current directory
>cd ~
places you in your home directory
>cd /
places you at the very top of the directory tree
>mkdir directory_name
creates a new directory, named whatever comes after "mkdir"
>rm name
deletes whatever comes after "rm" (can be a directory or a file)

next learn Vim. Start by installing vim, then type "vimtutor" into the terminal.

I'm a fellow linux amateur. Good luck user-kun.

Attached: Shizune 9.png (835x957, 415K)

also those are clearly not all of the directory commands, they're just the most common ones I've used

Attached: Shizune 52.jpg (303x357, 37K)

Don't learn vim. If you wanna get into something like that, go emacs.

anime website

pwd = print working directory
cd = change directory
running
$ cd /home/john/anime
makes that path the current working directory
running
$ cd
without any argument makes your home the cwd
the shell interprets . and .. respectively as current directory and the directory above your own, so to go above do
$ cd ..
ls = list
prints list of files in the current directory
cat = catenate
prints the content of a file.
$ cat fileA.txt fileB.txt prints both file
man = man pages
the manual pages
$ man cat explains you how to use cat
mkdir = make directory
rmdir = remove directory
rm = remove
cp = copy
mv = move
more = file reader
less = file reader

Also I/O redirectors

> redirects standard output to a file
$ ls >file.txt
prints list of files into a file called file.txt

>> appends standard output to a file
$ ls >>file.txt
appends list of files into a file called file.txt

< feeds a file as standard input
$ cat file or >>file
can both be used to create a new file

tjhsst.edu/~dhyatt/superap/unixcmd.html

THANK YOU user KUN! *BLUSHES AND HOLDS HAND TO CHEEK*

Attached: f8eeff6dfbd041e1ffc104735261fd23.jpg (800x1269, 165K)

Xubuntu.

Play with it, study it, have some fun.

Then install gentoo

Attached: ART.jpg (1641x2048, 335K)

1)Ignore what everyone else says.
2)Install Ubuntu or Linux Mint
3)Do all the stuff you normally do
4)If you can't for any reason, look up the reason why.
5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 for a few months

Anime website

Attached: Anime website.jpg (897x445, 202K)

It's not 2004, grandpa. user-kun doesn't want or need to browse the internet in his text editor.

Attached: Shizune 162.jpg (400x421, 111K)

yea but what user does need is a text editor he can exit

(and freedom)

If he wants to get more intimate with Linux he's going to be using the terminal a lot. Vim is the best option for seamlessly jumping in and out of config and text files while staying in the same environment. Emacs's learning curve rises asymptotically and you need to learn an entire new programming language to use it properly. FURTHERMORE if he's in a distro hopping stage, learning vim once will let him use the same vim basically anywhere, unlike emacs.

Attached: 1513620288775.png (800x1200, 1.06M)

Oh, why does emacs change between distros?

>It's not 2004,
What does that have to do with an OS originally designed in the 1970's on time sharing mainframes?

disclaimer I do not actually use emacs, I bought the dichotomy meme and chose the vim path a few months ago when I started learning

I heard that the main advantage to emacs is its insane customization, which can be done in a kind of ... special lisp? Emacs is hard to learn and harder to master, and is ultimately only worth it to learn if you're going to spend oodles of time in it and make it the cornerstone of your desktop.

Emacs famed customization is a lot less relevant in a world where there are superior email, browsing, IRC, and IDE programs. It might have been worth it a long time ago to use one program as a mediocre platform for a dozen different desktop functions, but there are better, lighter alternatives now.

certifications are for peons

Although you can certainly learn Linux in a more comfortable, familiar *buntu environment, and you will certainly encounter the command line at times, just be careful not to get -too- comfy. These days, it's easy to get too comfortable in a desktop environment and never actually learn anything. Linux is becoming increasingly less reliant on the terminal to get things done.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to start off with a nice out-of-the-box distro to learn the basics like how the filesystem is organized and basic terminal manipulation what have you, but a nice goal to aspire to is setting up an environment from scratch from a minimalist install (like Arch). This also has the beneficial side effect of forcing the terminal into your workflow.

linuxcommand.org/ is a nice resource to start with.

1. Install any GNU/Linux distribution
2. Install Gentoo
3. Compile Linux From Scratch with GNU
4. Check source code of Linux, GNU
5. Check and audit SystemD source code

Attached: download (2).jpg (275x183, 5K)

Emacs is not a sandbox, you retard, the point of its extensibility is that it can be fully integrated with separate programs that are not designed for it, like debugging and version control. An IDE just forces you to use the vendor's implementation.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I got something for you:
Install Wine + a Windows programm manually on any distribution that already has a desktop environment.
You are not allowed to have x32 support. Note: Windows installer is 32bit, even for 64bit software.
Your tool has to live in an additional partition. You are not allowed to install anything in the normal paths. Pretend that your extra partition is the only thing that doesn't reset after a reboot.

Just had to do this at work. It taught me quiet a bit.

phsh kid, I don't think so

Attached: animeposters.png (769x670, 21K)

Use the [Tab] key to autocomplete what you typing. Also install zsh. Thank me later.

Install Funtoo

What's up with the newfags? I know summerfags aren't real.

Attached: 1516360858125.jpg (678x605, 98K)

Dick around on a cheap vps and set up some servers and shit. When you feel comfortable install arch just for the learning experience.

installing gentoo really is a good idea

FTFY

Attached: 1398142655953.png (769x670, 60K)

Attached: 1527638369.png (1151x305, 67K)

This is a joke, right?

replace with games and it would be more accurate this bord is half anime pictures swear to god its somehow more weeb than /a/ but at least weebs are chill

You said everything starting from the bottom up, that's from the bottom up. If you want to start with something functional and work your way down to the very bottom, install Debian or Ubuntu.

>5. Check and audit SystemD source code
Evil motherfucker

install Gentoo already

you're new, right?

Attached: scheme_lisp_SICP_anime_girl_92855.jpg (600x450, 81K)

Slackware did it for me, I learned more in 1 month of using Slackware than I have in 2 years with Debian.

Attached: anime.jpg (687x1024, 360K)

install linux from scratch

Attached: 1526828579961.jpg (440x650, 256K)

I WANT ALL WEEBS TO LEAVE RIGHT NOW

Attached: Misato_yelling_NGE.png (1024x768, 725K)

Too bad.

Attached: 21.jpg (700x800, 157K)

the honest best way to learn linux is by using a live CD of something close to your current OS, I highly recommend Ubuntu. Once you have it, just dick around in it and you'll start to pick things up.
(or you could go balls deep and install some distro without knowing anything)