/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

Read (Cross-thread)

>search
ddg.gg/lite

redirect new friends making their own threads with >previous

Attached: 1498728266821.jpg (1000x1200, 1.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-dell-g3-17-gaming/spd/g-series-17-3779-laptop/dncwgg207s
amazon.com/KNACRO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Receiver-Amplifier/dp/B01EW6IJ1Y/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_0_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01EW6IJ1Y&pd_rd_r=CPHJT15AECNATK45Q82G&pd_rd_w=PYUTJ&pd_rd_wg=1lDFM&psc=1&refRID=CPHJT15AECNATK45Q82G#customerReviews
criterion.com/films/641-torment
typography.com/fonts/mercury-display/overview/
courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:MITx 6.00.1x_7 3T2015/course/
github.com/ccd0/Jow
amazon.com/stores/page/B3E8648A-58F5-4847-813C-C08EA30328B6?ingress=2&visitId=ceef4d79-9a41-410d-99be-11a9432cc7cb
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

how do I get a fat 2hu gf

Is it worth it to pay 200 extra dollars for a GTX 1080 over a GTX 1070?
I figure I should with GPU prices being the way they are right now, but in what scenarios would I need one over the other?

What’s a good book for learning python? If there’s some resource better than any book I’ll accept that too.

For reference it’s been a while since I’ve programmed, I was never good at it.

dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-dell-g3-17-gaming/spd/g-series-17-3779-laptop/dncwgg207s

Dell laptop with an i7-8750 1060 6GB and a 256gb SSD with 16gb of RAM.

to build a similar setup would be much more expensive. should I buy it?

if i make a super aggressive firewall that blocks EVERY port except ones that i know i use, am i invincible to web threats?

im not heavily into networking but the only flaw i see is if a malicious program uses the same port as my web browser or something. is that possible?

is there an android email app that doesn't scrub your emails for terms to serve up ads?

I can't afford a degree and software development isn't really enthralling to me. Would I be able to break into the IT field with just an A+ certification and no degree? Would I be better off buying a book for the certification or taking an online course?

Attached: Variety.jpg (600x600, 72K)

professor messer made a series of A+ videos that most people use. it's a super easy test (which is good for normies but bad for job security since anyone can get it with a few days studying)

you can get entry level help desk jobs with just an A+ but they're often rather hard to come by because so many people are trying to get them. youll want to get in contact with a tech recruiter like techsystems, roberthalf, etc. and you should immediately start studying for the network+ and security+ once you get a job (or before, if it takes a long time)

for reference when i got out of college i had a computer science bachelors degree, A+, security+, network+, project+, and 2 MCSA paths and it still took me 6 months to find a job doing tier 2 IT support. but i was unwilling to move to a different state so that probably held me back quite a bit. but it is not easy to find jobs nowadays.

Easy on the frogs cirno

Would it be dumb to use this to drive a single vintage 3.2 ohm radio speaker?

amazon.com/KNACRO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Receiver-Amplifier/dp/B01EW6IJ1Y/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_0_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01EW6IJ1Y&pd_rd_r=CPHJT15AECNATK45Q82G&pd_rd_w=PYUTJ&pd_rd_wg=1lDFM&psc=1&refRID=CPHJT15AECNATK45Q82G#customerReviews

Any way to know the fonts used in this site: criterion.com/films/641-torment ?

>view page source
>ctrl+f "font"
>click css link

Looks like the main font is something called Mercury Display.

thanks much.

>Mercury Display.
typography.com/fonts/mercury-display/overview/

$199 for single-computer usage

u realize you can download fonts direct from the website rite ?

only reason to buy a license for it is so you can use it on commercial products

What causes this error? Is it my browser, 4chanx..

Attached: file.png (481x234, 15K)

Anyone know how to get popcorntime working on my rpi with kodi krypton 17.3?

It was working a while ago for me, but now I get an unknow error has ocurred when opening movies.

I tried reinstalling the repo through lazarus and dimitrology, installing with version 1.7.3 iirc. But still get the same error

Could they have stopped working on the service ?

What is the difference between a server, a mainframe, and a supercomputer?

Attached: ibm-z-mainframe-big.jpg (577x357, 61K)

Wait for the 1180 and buy that, it'll be the same price, you'll have to buy it instantly though

server is a single machine. mainframe is a really big server that is reliable by having redundant everything. supercomputer is a bunch of individual servers connected together with a highspeed, low latency interconnect, fast file system and job scheduling system.

mainframes are out of vogue but still used for things like banks, air traffic control, etc. supercomputers are used for physics/chemistry/weather etc simulations typically.

Are there any actual means of getting faster at typing? I work as a data entry cuck via databases, but recently they've gotten a fair bit tighter with things. I need to maintain a 97%+ accuracy (which I do), with an 80WPM average. I currently do about 65WPM average, but can't manage to stick with using all fingers to type.
What do, anons?

1. what is Jow Forums's gmail alternative recommendation?
2. why do people here hate dropbox so much?

Hi. I'm 20 and have been using the internet since I was 6, but don't know anything about how computers work (what does "partition a drive" mean), or networks, or even programming really. I want to install Linux but don't even understand what would be the difference. All I do is just browse the internet and use programs, I never had the problems people describe in the OS threads here.

Where can I learn all of this? Are there books? It just seems like everyone here automatically knows this stuff...

Work is giving me a budget of $1000 AUD for a laptop. I can't seem to do d any Ryzen laptops at that sort of price. They're going to bust my nuts if it has less than 4 cores 8 threads, since they think I need it. I won't complain about getting a better laptop than I need, though.
Any suggestions? Already have a ThinkPad W520

Fuck, I meant "find", not "do d". However the fuck i typed that is beyond me. I need to get off work and have some beers already desu

>be me every night
>tell myself i'm gonna organize some of my random data hoards that are just shitpiles spread across a bunch of hard drives and different machines
>end up shitposting all night instead

Attached: sm-year.jpg (429x410, 37K)

I just started learning HTML & CSS recently and I was wondering how do blogs work?
I know that there's no way writers are plugging their work directly into HTML.

I've got a fire HD 10 tablet and the default audio quality is kinda garbage. I do have alright wireless headphones, but they require a propietary USB dongle so I can't hook them up directly to the tablet. Is there any way I could stream my tablet audio over wireless to my PC?
I don't wanna have to buy a bluetooth receiver just for that if I can avoid it.

test dont reply

>>>/global/rules/1
Please respond.

Attached: pls.jpg (331x331, 49K)

audio on pc has cut out, running windows 7..just stopped for no reason

i restart, sound turns off again, go to sound mixer and test the audio... it turns back on for a few seconds then turns off again... this is weird, what do?

install gentoo

> Gmail
I use Posteo, I'm happy. They're secure and reliable. You can even make alias adresses. it does cost like 1eur a month but I figured it's like a cup of coffee.

try uninstalling and reinstalling your audio drivers, probably something dumb happened

Yesterday i suddenly started to get this popup message on my Chromium, never seen it before. It doesn't appear if i disable Stylechan but i use it for years and this error only appeared yesterday. Can someone help? Maybe there's some workaround. Chromium is from woolyss site, nosync version.

Attached: 1.png (427x121, 11K)

just did this and no sound after reinstalling... going to try a malware scan to see if that help, other than that im stumped. in mixer you can see the sound being produced, just not coming through the speakers

Is a 10" tablet too much for reading books and using one hand? Is 8" the perfect size?

Why do I rarely if ever see any torrents of recent movies/shows using this? It's several years old by now, and you'd think smaller file size would be a priority for torrenting. Is it because you need a really good computer/ a lot of time to encode files with it so uploaders don't bother?

Attached: x265.png (309x137, 26K)

Its a mix of higher encode times and it not being able to be run on craptops, plus less device support as well.
Some devices can only play h.264, and the file sizes are only marginally larger if done correctly

Is there a good alternative to 4kvideodownloader for Windows?

I keep getting "can't create file" messages, and youtube-dl doesn't seem to be installing. I am not happy to be using windows, but there's no avoiding it in my case.

I got banned from Amazon. What do now?

Uh, it depends on your hands.

That's actually Patchouli cosplaying as Cirno.

Should the core voltage be this high? Msi b350m gaming pro mobo, Ryzen 5 1500x, no overclock or anything fancy. I updated the bios not 20 minutes ago but I don't recall the voltage ever being this high

Attached: 20180531_051646.jpg (2560x1440, 1.35M)

I recently started learning android. I want to know if there's any way I can download a file (say youtube video) and not allow access to that downloaded file from file system. The file can only be opened via my app.
I checked out DRM and I didn't understand what it was supposed to do. Should I pay for a DRM service? Its supposed to be something like how netflix/prime video handles its services.

there's a backend that fills an html template with the content on the server side usually

There a msi 1080 armor oc an massdrop for 550 ish is that worth it? Currently have an rx 460 4gb no oc and a 500w power supply

happened to me too but on firefox. It's a bug (I think) with OneeChan/StyleChan.

Use 4chanx with appchan desu

>It just seems like everyone here automatically knows this stuff...
"Everyone" knows it because we've fucked up our computers a lot of time... and that gives experience
>Where can I learn all of this?
Try installing something like arch linux or gentoo on a VM. It will fuck you up, but you will learn something about linux. install gentoo is a meme for a reason
>Are there books?
check wiki

Looks like it's back to normal? Maybe I'm just dumb?

Attached: 20180531_053536.jpg (2560x1440, 1.63M)

Alright, it seems that for some reason this message only shows up with a certain custom themes. I changed a theme to another, edited the needed color to the ones i used before and now it doesn't show up (only if you open Stylechan settings but you don't need that very often).
To use maintained 4chanx along with it's deprecated version? I don't understand or don't know something.

courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:MITx 6.00.1x_7 3T2015/course/

Whoops I meant oneechan, I got my Chan's mixed up again.
github.com/ccd0/Jow Forums-x/blob/master/README.md
4chanx mentions and links to the updated version on their github

You'd probably have to get a larger power supply, but 550 isn't bad for a 1080, up to you whether you really want good performance now, or better performance later. 1080 is a great card though

I tried of course. Oneechan has the same popup and the same workaround. For some reason certain custom themes suddenly started to conflict with a browser. But everything is fine now.

Not sure how Netflix would do it, but you essentially could just encrypt some crucial part of the file, and then only allow your app to decrypt it for playing. Then you would have DRM, but your users won't be able to play the files without the app. Now they could just crack the encryption, but at that point it really doesn't matter

please refrain from bloating the cirno

should I enable this for fun?

Attached: Capture.png (216x44, 1K)

Comp tee-uh or comp tee eye ayy

Enter the 2nd dimension lad

Why are you so hesitant to post anime people can unironically like? This is one the only non-thumbnail pics you've used in the last 20 or so threads, and probably only the second anime one. And it's ironic. The only other one was a maki, which is also ironic (she's a meme on Jow Forums) and wasn't soft or anything.

I was watching a movie then all of a sudden it stopped loading and I got:

>you must log in to this network before you can access the internet

I had to re register my network to get it working again. Did I do something stupid? I have ever had this happen before.

*squeezes her hard*
>BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAAAaaAAAaAAAAaAAAaaAAaAaaAAaAAAAAaaAAaAAAAAaAAaAaAaAaaAAAAAAAAAP

My FF Window is completely fucked up upwards and sideways. Inactive have have the active tab look to them (but go away if I revisit them); I can't close any tabs; I can't open any tabs; I can't close any tabs; I can only navigate by clicking hyperlinks in the page itself (bookmarks don't work, URLbar/ searchbar won't search, and doesn't even change its information when I switch tabs), probably much more. My one browsing tab doesn't even necessarily show anything when I switch to it- it'll still show an image I was just looking at. I can't even click to switch to tabs, so I gotta use alt + tab, or alt + shit + tab. What caused this? It completely eats my currently-open tabs. A new window works, though.

Attached: Untitled.png (1493x870, 96K)

it's just not worth the additional encoding time

why cpu fans are made always to suck the hot air out of heatsink? wouldn't it be more clever to make them blow at the heatsink to lower the hotness?

Attached: 5.png (900x900, 286K)

i've never seen one blow away from the heatsink
did you wire yours backwards or something?

nope, they're always like that

>always
u retarded?

they are always made like this.
also
>u retarded?
read the thread name u meanie

Attached: AMD_heatsink_and_fan.jpg (1600x1067, 525K)

But in the pic fan is positioned to blow at the heatsink, what do you mean? That's perfectly normal

Attached: a.jpg (1600x1067, 389K)

Oh.... alright then...
B-But why air blows out of it anyways?

it doesn't
it feels cool putting your hand over the fan anyway because it's still causing airflow around your fingers

I just reset my computer after more than a year. I was hoping someone could recommend a good AV. I was using Avira before this, and they seemed fine, just wondering if there is anything better that someone might suggest. Thank you

Running Windows 8.1 btw

How to disable DASH playback on youtube?

thank you fren!

Attached: 6.jpg (1000x800, 50K)

What's a good Windows utility for converting audio formats? To add to that, what's your preferred place to download music?

ffmpeg, the internet

Foobar2000 or MeGUI if you like to do things the... interesting way.
Install CoreAudioToolbox from the iTunes installer (no need to install iShit, just open the EXE with 7-zip and extract the two CoreAudioToolbox msi's) so you can encode with QAAC.

where's the chinkshitgeneral? is it off for the summer? I've been trying to find it but can't

My 4k monitor hurts my eyes what do

Need a laptop for school and for sitting outside in the backyard watching movies and stuff. I was thinking about a Chromebook because it's cheap and fast, or a Lenovo Yoga because I can fold it to only have the screen visible.

What would you suggest? I will only ever write notes, browse the internet and watch stuff on it. I have a USB so storage doesn't really matter.

Oh and I would very much prefer it to have a 1080p screen.

Is there some kind of a speed limit to this windows mobile hotspot shit? I have a 100 mbps wired connection going into my pc that's using a 300 mbps usb wireless adapter for the hotspot shit, but my other devices that connect to it are only able to get about 40 mbps max and they're in the same room too with direct line of sight.

Attached: 55.jpg (536x289, 19K)

amazon.com/stores/page/B3E8648A-58F5-4847-813C-C08EA30328B6?ingress=2&visitId=ceef4d79-9a41-410d-99be-11a9432cc7cb

Chromebooks are shit. At least get something with some decent memory in them. Dell or Asus have some cheap options that are sufficient

What's going on with my USB stick lads?

>plug it in formatted as FAT32
>takes a long ass time to load and be accessible so that it shows the storage space. Any right clicking on it freezes explorer, doesn't appear in disk management, can't be accessed with cmd... but it always appears as a generic drive in both explorer and devices and printers
>when it does load it it's fully accessible
>if I format it to NTFS there are no problems
>If I run it in safe mode as FAT32 or NTFS there are no problems
>occassionally it runs instantly
>however on all occassions I can't boot into it from my other laptop in FAT32
>other USBs run with no problems

My other laptop is running shit so I was trying to fresh install Windows 10 with this USB, which is why I needto boot from it in FAT32.

More than anything though I'm just intrigued as to why only user mode+FAT32 would be a broken combination when NTFS works and safe mode+FAT32 works.

Why would memory matter when I'm not doing anything resource heavy on it? But what laptops do you have in mind from Dell and Asus?

how do I get Jow Forums x to play well with ublock origin, it works fine with all my other extensions but it's blocked by ublock, i've already added
Jow Forums.org Jow Forums.org * allow
but it still blocked.
I'm using firefox with pretty much default settings at this point.

Is there an easy tool to get precise frame timings to cut videos with ffmpeg on exact frames?

I want to cut some videos on exact frames but I have to inch closer and closer with -ss and -to doing a recode everytime because -c copy will only cut on keyframes.

What would be nice is a tool with a visual preview that shows me the exact time and frame where I can go back/forward frame by frame

seek in mpv using ',' and '.', click on the time to toggle between seconds and milliseconds, you can use times like "1:02:30.827" directly in ffmpeg

So the other day I was in a phone call and it was interrupted by heavy breathing and then a hang up like something from a shitty horror flick. The person I was talking to isn't the type of person to pull something like that so I doubt that's who it was. How easy is it to fuck with people's phone calls like that?

They know.
3 days.
The usual place.

Aegisub.

can malicious programs use your cpu a bunch without it being reported it any way to resource monitors and such?